Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

Two days and no email with my RMA information from WD.....ugh

I got the email yesterday.

It's for a standard RMA, when I specifically requested an advance RMA (two drives with errors, can't send them back)

So I call these fuckers up. The guy tells me he can cancel the standard RMA but I can't create a new one for 1 month?

What the loving gently caress sense does that make.

They're going to escalate the case....I'm not letting him off the phone until they send me some drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So what is the somewhat budget conscious SATA host card (or cards) to get for hooking up 8 x 3TB spinner drives in a Win10 PC ? I have never done a RAID setup before so IDK what RAID level/type to aim for. Usage would be a mix of holding backups from another PC + holding various videos/movies to play on another PC.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

MREBoy posted:

So what is the somewhat budget conscious SATA host card (or cards) to get for hooking up 8 x 3TB spinner drives in a Win10 PC ? I have never done a RAID setup before so IDK what RAID level/type to aim for. Usage would be a mix of holding backups from another PC + holding various videos/movies to play on another PC.

Used LSI SAS2008 based card. They're rock solid and go for $50 or so on eBay. LSI 9211-8i, IBM M1015, Dell H310 are all basically the same.

You'll also need a couple SFF-8087 to SATA breakout cables to connect the drives. Some of the listings on eBay provide them with the card.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Do note that the above method adds all 8 drives as separate disks to your OS, so you'll need some sort of software RAID or SPAN.
Plenty of recommendations for both of those on Windows in this thread, too.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Has anyone had luck with shuck RMA?
I got 2 14TB EasyStores 09/08/20 from BestBuy. Of the 2, this one is showing up bad in Synology. I kept 1 of 2 shells..

deong fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 24, 2021

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I dunno but but that blurred out serial number is not very blurry :)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

fletcher posted:

I dunno but but that blurred out serial number is not very blurry :)

I felt dumb for even trying ha. Not sure it even matters.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

deong posted:

Has anyone had luck with shuck RMA?

Are you european, canadian, or australian, or do you have 24+ hours to waste on hold and arguing?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Biowarfare posted:

Are you european, canadian, or australian, or do you have 24+ hours to waste on hold and arguing?

I'm US, bought online with BestBuy.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

deong posted:

I'm US, bought online with BestBuy.

If you know which shell it went in (and still have said shell), RMA in the shell. If you don't know which shell it went in, (or don't have said shell), RMA it bare, it'll probably require some back and forth but they should honor it.

Where they get really cranky is when you put the drive in the wrong shell and then claim you're trying to pull a fast one on them.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Punch in the serial number on their online thing and see where that takes you

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wild EEPROM posted:

Punch in the serial number on their online thing and see where that takes you

This would be my advice.

I have not had to do it yet though.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Biowarfare posted:

What is the benefit/negative for these places? I'm in Canada and don't have to RMA but I bought new drives and am now scared every waking moment

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

BaronVanAwesome posted:

What is the benefit/negative for these places? I'm in Canada and don't have to RMA but I bought new drives and am now scared every waking moment

I think the OP believes Canadians have some kind of consumer protection laws, lol

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I've gone back a few pages in this thread and I am not sure how good some of the linked info in the OP is since it hasn't been updated in 9 years so I'm just going to ask. I've built computers and even NAS before but it's been a few years, and I am finding myself needing to buy or build a NAS for our home use. Our main needs are redundant and relatively safe backups of data (I do archival work and have a couple of terabytes of data I need to protect), and then a secondary desire to stream media locally within the home. Is there a guide, parts list, recomendation or anything on just what to get? Any good chassis I can just put 5 or 6 hard drives into or even something I need to build from scratch is fine. I'm approaching this mostly as if I am a NAS newb, though, since it's been so long since I've really worked with one.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

nesbit37 posted:

I've gone back a few pages in this thread and I am not sure how good some of the linked info in the OP is since it hasn't been updated in 9 years so I'm just going to ask. I've built computers and even NAS before but it's been a few years, and I am finding myself needing to buy or build a NAS for our home use. Our main needs are redundant and relatively safe backups of data (I do archival work and have a couple of terabytes of data I need to protect), and then a secondary desire to stream media locally within the home. Is there a guide, parts list, recomendation or anything on just what to get? Any good chassis I can just put 5 or 6 hard drives into or even something I need to build from scratch is fine. I'm approaching this mostly as if I am a NAS newb, though, since it's been so long since I've really worked with one.

You could look at an off the shelf QNAP or Synology NAS. Easy enough to set up with a gui, hot swap bays and plenty of apps you can run.

The next best thing to the proprietary NAS boxes is Unraid so you can build your own box and get the features of the off the shelf solutions above.

Truenas is the free option for a build your own box.

It all comes down to what you would prefer, the number of drives and if you want to run applications, docker containers, VMs or Plex transcoding.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i used to have a server with a couple 3tb drives in it. it ran plex, sonarr, all that sort of stuff and some ham radio apps.

when one of those drives died, i bought a small m2 drive, an 8tb and 10tb spinning drive and put unraid on it. now i have all that stuff in docker and a vm for linux workstation-y stuff. saved $600 or so over buying a synology and didn't take too much janitoring to set up (and i've no reason to think the janitoring was any more than it would've been if i were installing everything to a synology). i imagine the fact that it draws more power than a normal nas will eventually even that savings out, but for the short/medium term i have no complaints

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
wanted to try unraid, went through ten usb sticks and not a single one worked with their usb creator, with forum threads complaining about this going back years.

no way of knowing what payment methods they take ahead of time because you can't check out online, only "on the os after installing"

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Is there a reason to use it over TrueNAS Scale?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

withoutclass posted:

Is there a reason to use it over TrueNAS Scale?

It's much, much easier to set up for a layperson like myself - there's definitely nothing really exceptional to it, especially if you're comfortable with a lot this stuff already.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Biowarfare posted:

no way of knowing what payment methods they take ahead of time because you can't check out online, only "on the os after installing"

I'll try and remember to load the payment page later. Credit cards for sure. Not certain on PayPal.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I'm not sure this is the place to ask this, but I didn't see a Plex thread in the first couple pages, and I'm doing this on an unraid server so it is kinda relevant: I'm going to put together a plex server, but I never realized how messy all my media is. Is there a tool that assists in the mass renaming of hundreds (or thousands?) of videos? I don't mind having to be present to help the tool pick the right thing - just anything faster than me manually renaming everything and moving them into properly named folders as appropriate.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Media center master is ungainly but mostly works.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I'm not sure this is the place to ask this, but I didn't see a Plex thread in the first couple pages, and I'm doing this on an unraid server so it is kinda relevant: I'm going to put together a plex server, but I never realized how messy all my media is. Is there a tool that assists in the mass renaming of hundreds (or thousands?) of videos? I don't mind having to be present to help the tool pick the right thing - just anything faster than me manually renaming everything and moving them into properly named folders as appropriate.

Sonarr and Radarr, while usable for :filez: also will allow you to reorganize all of your stuff into a organized structure and will automatically rename everything and tell Plex where they all are, if you link it to your plex server.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
FileBot is well liked for that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Tuxedo Gin posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm assuming Raid 5 is fine on a 4 drive system? Raid 6 seems like overkill with so few drives.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nesbit37 posted:

I'm assuming Raid 5 is fine on a 4 drive system? Raid 6 seems like overkill with so few drives.

RAID 5 would be fine, with the usual caveats about parity RAID levels in regards to performance and rebuilding. You'll have 75% storage capacity and a 1 drive fault tolerance.

RAID 6 with 4 drives nets you 50% storage capacity and a two drive fault tolerance.

Maybe that trade-off is worth it, however RAID 10 is right there with greater performance, but a slightly different fault tolerance (can lose up to 2 drives, depending on which drives fail).

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
IMO the choice between raid 5 and 6 has more to do with the size of the disks than the number of them. For example a 14TB drive takes a really long time to rebuild and it's a lot of constant thrashing for a 2nd drive on the verge of failure to tolerate.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah, I was worried about that as well. These will be 12tb drives.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Biowarfare posted:

wanted to try unraid, went through ten usb sticks and not a single one worked with their usb creator, with forum threads complaining about this going back years.

While annoying as hell, you don’t even really need to use the media creator tool, you can just use the manual unzip to flash drive, and make bootable scripts.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Biowarfare posted:

I'm running these with great success.
https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-849

The 8GB version, but it's wild overkill, there's only a couple hundred meg used. I chose them because they were small and MLC.
Transcend JetFlash 720 USB 8 GB USB 3.1 TS8GJF720S

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you're more into the whole DIY solution for software with automation via command-line utilities, flexget will let you do everything anything else does, and with more control.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Biowarfare posted:

It appears that you can only initiate the purchase process from a working installation (probably by design). I ran through the process to upgrade from Plus to Pro and was offered Card and Paypal as options.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
thanks (and ugh), do you know if the browser URL contains any identifiers or if I can somehow check out on a separate device and just enter whatever GUID it wants?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Biowarfare posted:

thanks (and ugh), do you know if the browser URL contains any identifiers or if I can somehow check out on a separate device and just enter whatever GUID it wants?

If the concern is not having internet on the device you're planning to run it from, that's not an issue, the license follows the flash media. Plug it into your desktop with Internet, buy license, plug into intended device.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I got an alert from my TrueNAS server:

pre:
* Pool Milpool state is DEGRADED: One or more devices are faulted in response to persistent errors. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
The following devices are not healthy:
Disk 17717333071089208054 is FAULTED
Which sounds real bad. A scrub that was running showed a bunch of read/write errors on that disk. It's only maybe a year and a half old, so I figured it would either have failed a long time ago or a long time from now. I had an update pending so I just let it update and reboot and see what it thought after, and sure enough now it saying everything's healthy. I've got a long smart test running but the short test didn't show anything out of the ordinary. Just didn't know how concerned/paranoid I should be about it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I have a dumb question about Synology boxes I can't seem to find an answer to. I'm looking at buying the 8 bay unit, but can't find any 12tb drives that aren't pricey as heck. If I start with 3x 10tb drives now, and add 12tb drives later, will I be able to use the extra 2tb of storage in the pool? This page seems to imply it will, but I figured I'd check.

My plan is to start with 3 drives and add one or two a month until the server is full.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The Milkman posted:

I got an alert from my TrueNAS server:

pre:
* Pool Milpool state is DEGRADED: One or more devices are faulted in response to persistent errors. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
The following devices are not healthy:
Disk 17717333071089208054 is FAULTED
Which sounds real bad. A scrub that was running showed a bunch of read/write errors on that disk. It's only maybe a year and a half old, so I figured it would either have failed a long time ago or a long time from now. I had an update pending so I just let it update and reboot and see what it thought after, and sure enough now it saying everything's healthy. I've got a long smart test running but the short test didn't show anything out of the ordinary. Just didn't know how concerned/paranoid I should be about it.

It could have been a cable got jostled loose. Double check them. That's the most likely cause of seemingly random widespread errors in one drive that resolve themselves completely with no follow up checks confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

EC posted:

I have a dumb question about Synology boxes I can't seem to find an answer to. I'm looking at buying the 8 bay unit, but can't find any 12tb drives that aren't pricey as heck. If I start with 3x 10tb drives now, and add 12tb drives later, will I be able to use the extra 2tb of storage in the pool? This page seems to imply it will, but I figured I'd check.

My plan is to start with 3 drives and add one or two a month until the server is full.

If you use shr -1 or -2, which is just lvm raid,you can do this here is the calculator to tell you how much space

https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator