Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If you're a conniving weirdo like Shang Tsung are you going to risk waiting another 500 years to get the 10-tourney killstreak reward, or are you going to make sure nothing fucks you up at the finish line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Well this silly film has made me want to play a Mortal Kombat game which... Is not an impulse I've had ever.
I hope MK11 is fun

You're in luck, as it's the best one after MK9 and MK Trilogy.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Just to reiterate, MK's 9/10/11 are not only really fun stories with a lot of content, but the first time the series has had a competent fighting game system (some people dont like how projectile-y pro MK9 is though).

Absolutely recommend playing them.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The main thing that sucks about 11 is the stupid currencies and the Krypt that makes unlocking stuff an absolute chore. The fighting is great though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MK 10 also had the Alien and Predator as playable fighters, and 11 has the Terminator, Robocop (voiced by Peter Weller!!), Rambo (voiced by Stallone!!), and Spawn (voiced by Keith David!!)

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

DorianGravy posted:

Also, Reptile has big claws, acid, and is invisible, and all he can manage to do is claw Kano and bump people a couple times? Come on, Reptile, you need to raise your game.
Reptile sucking is canon

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I really went in wanting to like the movie but I can't with what feels like the first half of a movie stretched to feature length.

Lemon posted:

I really want a Kano & Kabal buddy-rear end in a top hat movie now

I do too but I dread it'd be a boring nothing like Hobbs & Shaw

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

An MK series could give us an entire Black Dragon origin episode complete with Kano getting Kabal kooked like Vader, Sonya’s first encounter with them, and Jarek getting shot in the drat head, as he deserves

edit: I would watch an MK series on HBO Max with this cast, none of the actors or production team should be all that expensive, just do the Agents of SHIELD thing where Sanada shows up once at the end of the season to gently caress someone up and let Sonya/Jax/Liu/Raiden/OC show up every week. It can’t be any worse than Conquest or Legacy, right? After a few seasons do a time skip/new series to freshen up the cast with Cassie/Jacqui & the Kombat Kids

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 25, 2021

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Neurolimal posted:

If you're a conniving weirdo like Shang Tsung are you going to risk waiting another 500 years to get the 10-tourney killstreak reward, or are you going to make sure nothing fucks you up at the finish line

Makes sense, maybe they should have brought this up. You know, in the movie.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Senator Drinksalot posted:

You're in luck, as it's the best one after MK9 and MK Trilogy.

This is rad news
also OC character sucked the moon out of the loving sky in the movie and had no business being in it. Replace him with a fish out of water Liu Kang or Johnny Cage like everyone else is saying. Even the actor is stiff as a fence post. He brings nothing to it

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

An MK series could give us an entire Black Dragon origin episode complete with Kano getting Kabal kooked like Vader, Sonya’s first encounter with them, and Jarek getting shot in the drat head, as he deserves

edit: I would watch an MK series on HBO Max with this cast, none of the actors or production team should be all that expensive, just do the Agents of SHIELD thing where Sanada shows up once at the end of the season to gently caress someone up and let Sonya/Jax/Liu/Raiden/OC show up every week. It can’t be any worse than Conquest or Legacy, right? After a few seasons do a time skip/new series to freshen up the cast with Cassie/Jacqui & the Kombat Kids

Jarek gets thrown off a cliff :colbert:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

DC Murderverse posted:

MK11’s story is head and shoulders above the story in this movie. There’s one atrocious voice actor that threatens to derail things but it’s easy enough to overlook because all of the others are good. It’s very clearly inspired by 80s action movies and the characters are all much more layered than you would expect from MK.

I keep hearing people say that this movie feels like a B movie and I don’t think that’s true. The first absolutely is, it’s super inspired by Kung-Fu movies of the 1970s which all slotted into that category. This movie doesn’t have that sense of fun or inspiration. It’s taking it’s story cues from anime or YA stories with the “group of chosen people have to unlock hidden power to save their families/world” and it’s visually way more reminiscent of an expensive tv show. Mortal Kombat as a franchise is heavily inspired by B-movies of all sorts but this movie wasn’t made like one and doesn’t feel like one other than it feeling a little cheap, which in this case reads less like Enter the Dragon and more Hercules with Kevin Sorbo.

It's a B movie in a literal sense even if it doesn't align aesthetically with older B movies. It stars B list actors and is clearly making do with a limited budget-- for example, the climax taking place in an MMA gym covered in frosting.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 25, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

MK 10 also had the Alien and Predator as playable fighters, and 11 has the Terminator, Robocop (voiced by Peter Weller!!), Rambo (voiced by Stallone!!), and Spawn (voiced by Keith David!!)

Not to mention Cary Tagawa as Shang Tsung. They also released a skin pack with MK 95 skins
for Johnny Cage/Sonia Blade/Raiden including bringing back those actors to voice their lines so you can legit have Christopher Lambert fight Robocop.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Lol that you could just pit a Chevy SUV against Sub Zero and win MK.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
My favorite thing about the newer MK games is Johnny Cage’s progression into being a grown up.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This is rad news
also OC character sucked the moon out of the loving sky in the movie and had no business being in it. Replace him with a fish out of water Liu Kang or Johnny Cage like everyone else is saying. Even the actor is stiff as a fence post. He brings nothing to it
Yeah it was a weird choice, not sure why they thought he was necessary.

Considering it was still just a b movie like Mechafunkzilla said, I'm surprised they didn't just keep the threadbare plot from the game & 1995 movie. New Guy & Family added nothing and that whole Sub-Zero/Scorpion prelude would have worked just as well if New Guy wasn't a descendant.

Fun & campy, though. I hope there's a sequel solely so I can see more characters.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Kano had like two good jokes and the rest were straight C-Tier Marvel Movie garbage. Every part with a fatality was good. Liu Kang sweeping Kano was good and an example of good fanservice.

The actors playing Liu, Kung Lao, and Sonya were good. Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden are all-stars, even if Raiden was kind of a nerd. Not having a tournament is dumb. The transparency of not having a name attached to play Johnny Cage is hilarious. You know if they had a name, that poster would be Woody Harrelson in a lovely red wig trying to get you hype for the next one.

I'd try and get Van Damme (i know), James Marsden, Scott Adkins, Frank Grillo... even if in MK11 Old Johnny is more like Nathan Fillion. I think it'd work best with an aging actor known for playing cheeky egomaniacs but also on the periphery of being Real loving Huge A-List

Fights are fairly boring. The gore is kind of used sparingly, but gets a nice pop. The CGI is honestly pretty good outside of Goro. I will say this gets points for just being complete earnest fantasy, even if the "arkana" part is dumb and nobody needs it. Nobody explained Kano's robot eye in MK95.

You might be pleased to know that the Scorpion vs. Johnny fight and I'm pretty sure the last fight in MK95 were choreographed by Robin Shou and were reshoots, so that's where the shadow kick and friendship and fireball and all the game stuff came from, really.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 25, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I don't understand why the new guy wasn't just a descendant of Scorpion and so his power would be like flames and teleporting and stuff or would be that like Scorpion's spirit possesses him or something letting him do that.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It is somewhat strange that the baby in the intro isn't a character. That's weird to anyone else? Usually in these kind of stories... even with the time period i thought we were in Fantasy Earth Realm (MK definitely has both MMA arenas and leftover sets from Samurai movies in the same time period), and when we got to Cole my brain went, "that's the baby all grown up" because the movie language seemed to imply it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Firstborn posted:

Kano had like two good jokes and the rest were straight C-Tier Marvel Movie garbage. Every part with a fatality was good. Liu Kang sweeping Kano was good and an example of good fanservice.

Truth. It was fine, but being surrounded by a bad movie made it seem better than it was.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Firstborn posted:

It is somewhat strange that the baby in the intro isn't a character. That's weird to anyone else? Usually in these kind of stories... even with the time period i thought we were in Fantasy Earth Realm (MK definitely has both MMA arenas and leftover sets from Samurai movies in the same time period), and when we got to Cole my brain went, "that's the baby all grown up" because the movie language seemed to imply it.

I just assumed that was the case until Sub-Zero said he killed Scorpion "centuries ago," until then I just figured the itnro scene was them wearing traditional clothes but still in modern times.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

I just assumed that was the case until Sub-Zero said he killed Scorpion "centuries ago," until then I just figured the itnro scene was them wearing traditional clothes but still in modern times.

To be fair the movie does say it’s 1617, although it’s easy to miss.

https://youtu.be/xt6BQKxxdCo

Firstborn posted:

Kano had like two good jokes and the rest were straight C-Tier Marvel Movie garbage.
I challenge you to Mortal Kombat, Kano was hilarious and awesome. :toughguy:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 25, 2021

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Nazzadan posted:

Cole ended up being better than expected but they'd better ditch him ASAP if this turns into a franchise because he is not carrying this series going forward. His arcana was kinda cool at first? Suit that stores kinetic energy and can distribute it/redirect it back was neat. He immediately used it to boost his strength and do cool grappler poo poo against Goro, but then as soon as he gets the tonfas its like they forgot he's a grappler and the kinetic poo poo literally doesn't happen again from that point onward. Extremely stupid choice, just make him able to take a beating and roll around on people how hard is that.

It's literally Black Panther. Except in this movie he doesn't really use it or explain it. Not only did he suck but he wasn't even original.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They should have also kept it because "looks like some random dude doing wrestling but for some reason he does insane damage with two-three hits" because of some magic/armor/whatever robo thing on his chest they could have teased him as being a different character than Johnny Cage at the end

And it would be an Ed Boon-worthy troll if the main character of the new MK movie turned out to be Hsu Hao at the end, "you were all unhappy about an original character? Don't worry he's from one of the classic games!"

In this way I agree, if they're doing a sequel they need to, like Liu Kang in the Deadly Alliance intro, just have him get steamrolled and killed off in the sequel's intro by whoever the big bads are. Hell if you need to have a main character? Perfect way to have original Sub-Zero's less evil brother, Kuai Liang be the main guy and it can be about how he has to reform the ninja empire to be less evil/etc. (a common plot in a ton of the ninja movies the MK devs had clearly watched when making the older games) and gently caress it they're brothers just have Joe Taslim play the character again but as a face.

Also still mad Kung Lao was done dirty, he was so loving awesome in this, and I liked how much his performance/writing was very classic Shaw Bros. (and his using the hat as a shield/etc. also fit with the ring/pointed shield weapon you see in several of those flicks, like they clearly put effort into making him work) while also fitting 1:1 with voice overs from the games and stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 25, 2021

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kung Lao was the only part of the movie I liked

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Shouldn't Cole's daughter have the dragon mark since she's the most recent descendant?

I know, silly MK movie I shouldn't think too hard about.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Azubah posted:

Shouldn't Cole's daughter have the dragon mark since she's the most recent descendant?

Unironically jump the sequel forward a few years and have Cole go mad with power and become the villainous ruler of Outworld, Cole Kahn, and his now grown up daughter can use the fans shown in the training temple to kill him, just never mention the dragon mark again.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 25, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Azubah posted:

I thought the implication was that she wasn't his biological child.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Somehow Cole was so boring and vanilla and overly passive, that I thought his story arc was he was going to become Johnny Cage by the end of the movie. Like this was his origin story.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

explosivo posted:

It may be the implication but everything else is spoon fed.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
It was really odd if you don't follow MK games and barely remembered the 95 movie. Because you see everything up to his "power reveal" and are dead convinced he's either Scorpion or some character you don't know about because you don't play the games. poo poo even after growing the armor I was like "Okay so he's growing scorpion armor and now he's gonna clap Goro's cheeks soon" but then it was just so much worse. But hey I guess we got a really necessary "You go girl!" moment when Cole's wife decides to join the fight and somehow not get immediately crippled by Goro hitting her like 30 feet away.

Just so dumb. Even for a Mortal Kombat movie.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

explosivo posted:

My wife and I were convinced she was his sister for the first half of the movie.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The_Rob posted:

My wife and I were convinced she was his sister for the first half of the movie.

Yup 100% same here.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

explosivo posted:

Yup 100% same here.

We weren't sure their relations at first but he seemed too young to be the dad, and the wife seemed a lot older than him.

I just checked though and the guy who played Cole is 34, and the actress who played the wife is 32. Daughter is 13, so yeah, I guess it works out.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

He was way too pretty to be a failed MMA fighter. I've seen those type of guys IRL, and they're 50% scar tissue.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

As a Craig Marduk main I was starting to slowly be happy with Cole being an MMA man, but good lord by the end him just being tonfa user is so disappointing and boring. Nice sticks bro they'll really come in handy if Mokujin shows up.

Clearly they feared backlash from the MK11 community since the first chunk of that games competitive history was Geras throwing people non-stop.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Apparently the bland main dude is signed for 4 films which lol

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Apparently the bland main dude is signed for 4 films which lol

Oh noooooooooo

Bi-Han's actor also said he's signed on for multiple so that means Noob time

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Oh I'm wrong, I thought Taslim played the main guy. Dunno how many movies anyone else is signed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Oh thank god