Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Suprfli6 posted:

Apparently there's another version of the Kirkland Signature ball that released fairly recently, TXG did a review of it yesterday. It actually spun more than the ProV1 they were comparing it to. If you're somebody who could use a little more spin, or aren't consistent enough to really care about a few hundred RPM difference on your shots, these look to be easily the best deal around. $24.99 for 24 balls.

ElGroucho posted:

The version before this one was way too fragile. I’ve got a very average swing speed and was still hacking off pieces of the cover. I’ll probably pick up a box of the new one next time my driver swing decides to abandon me for a week or two.

Ah, thx, but I need to opposite of that, because I have high swing speed, and my key problem is insane side spin when I mishit.

The balls I seem? to play best with are the Callaway Superhots. But they're expensive so I'm looking for something similar, but cheaper, for days when I really suck. Although the last couple of times I've gone I've only lost a ball or two per 18 which is manageable...fingers crossed for later today.

(I love the matte red, but drat, in certain lighting conditions it will disappear from view in the air / on the grass like a stealth fighter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I game with the Srixon q star tour. Everybody I play with them talks about them with disdain, but they hit the sweet spot for me. And easy to distinguish from the 90% of people playing Titleist.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Srixon still sounds like a deodorant, men's enhancement balm, or 1980's video game/metal band to me, but I don't care and their stuff is fantastic!

745/565 owner and user of Z-Star/Q-Star and of course their sublime flat brimmz hats.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ElGroucho posted:

I game with the Srixon q star tour. Everybody I play with them talks about them with disdain, but they hit the sweet spot for me. And easy to distinguish from the 90% of people playing Titleist.

Zstar I liked. Qstar lost distance off the tee for me.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I play chromesofts with the goofy soccer ball design and it’s pretty great how no one ever mistakes their ball for mine.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The Q Star Tour was a fairly new ball a few years ago when I won a Cleveland Golf trip, and everybody on the trip was asked to pick whatever Srixon ball they wanted to play with. Out of like 10 people I was the only one who went with a Z Star, everybody else seemed to really like the Q Star Tour a lot. I did have a faster swing speed though which definitely played a part.

I've now played about 6-8 rounds of golf with the Sugar ball and also had a few evening practice sessions, and I like them. Distance, flight, feel, etc. all match up well compared to a Pro V1 for me. I just ordered some of the current generation of K Sig balls too so I should be set for the next few months.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Summit posted:

I play chromesofts with the goofy soccer ball design and it’s pretty great how no one ever mistakes their ball for mine.

I *love love love* those balls for the same reason but found I was more consistent/accurate with the superhots. The problem with the matte superhots is that in certain light they look like a rendering error, just totally unreflective and flat and weird, which can make them hard to spot despite their fluorescence.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I generally play the ball that I think will most annoy the traditionalists at my club, so I've been on those Chromesofts for a while. But this year, I don't think I can resist those Q Stars that look like iron man.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Petey posted:

I *love love love* those balls for the same reason but found I was more consistent/accurate with the superhots. The problem with the matte superhots is that in certain light they look like a rendering error, just totally unreflective and flat and weird, which can make them hard to spot despite their fluorescence.

I should try some other callaways. I doubt chromies are doing much for me spin wise as I’m a mid handicap, I mostly play them cause I like a thumpier/squishy feel when putting.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I got a couple boxes of the supersoft Max as I’m playing in the event at Colonial on Thursday with hickories and persimmons. Apparently there’s one of the recommended balls to use with wooden clubs.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Kirios posted:

So my wife has given her approval to convert half our garage into a golf simulator setup in 2022. The ceiling height is 8'9'' tall and I'm 5'11''. Is this enough space to swing driver? I already have a fairly shallow swing as it is so I think it's enough but I wanted to run it by you guys since I know a few of you already have a simulator.

Also, what are the things I need to buy and prepare for? I'm going to start hunting for deals now - my budget's ~5,000 dollars for this project.

Depending on your climate situation, don't automatically rule out an outdoor setup. Cracking balls in your garage is pretty loud. I've got a Mevo+ and cage setup on the side of my house and it's working really well for me. I have all but givin up on ever having a projected image, though. I just use an old 27" display off to the side and that works ok for now. So far, I'm not interested in online play, so I just use the 5 free e6 connect courses that come with the mevo+ and the other apps for practice and I do not putt with it. I cover with tarps when I know it's going to rain. I built a kind of stage for the hitting area, I may pour concrete later.

One of the major costs is your hitting mat situation. When you need to accomodate for lefties, your mat cost is about to double.

Simulator stuff u need
Cage / netting
Stance mat (hitting mat or stance mat and hitting insert)
Impact screen or white Archery Netting
Flooring (framing, squishy material, and turf)
Launch Monitor (Mevo+ or Skytrack)
Lighting
Gaming PC and/or iOS device depending on your LM and software choices
Projector or monitor plus Protecton for them
Racks for clubs
Sound dampening if necessary
A Divorce attorney lol

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Summit posted:

I should try some other callaways. I doubt chromies are doing much for me spin wise as I’m a mid handicap, I mostly play them cause I like a thumpier/squishy feel when putting.

Same, but you can try the superhots (or supersofts) and you'll find something similar, I suspect.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Daric posted:

I got a couple boxes of the supersoft Max as I’m playing in the event at Colonial on Thursday with hickories and persimmons. Apparently there’s one of the recommended balls to use with wooden clubs.

Please take a ton of pictures and tell me everything about how this goes because it sounds like it’ll be a total blast.

I’m back to spending another golf season living vicariously through you all.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Petey posted:

Same, but you can try the superhots (or supersofts) and you'll find something similar, I suspect.

I started with supersofts and my wife still uses them. They have a totally different feel putting which sent me to the chromies. I’m sure one of their cheaper balls has the chromie thump without the price.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/veryeva/status/1386336367920156679

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

DJExile posted:

Please take a ton of pictures and tell me everything about how this goes because it sounds like it’ll be a total blast.

I’m back to spending another golf season living vicariously through you all.

I definitely will and it should be on the No Laying Up YouTube channel at some point. Hoping I get paired with DJ as he’s the one I talk to the most. He hosts our bi-weekly film discussion zoom but he missed last week so I hosted and in my powers as host, I chose Fast Five for us to discuss next. He likes to pick stuff like The Artist and The Phantom Thread so I’m excited to see what he’ll say about my choice on Thursday.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
First warm day of golf this year, so of course...wind was 10-12 mph steady, gusting to 40.

Had a straight 8 foot putt for birdie, hit it where I wanted and in the last three inches it moved six inches left when the wind jumped to 40 mph.

Back nine was mostly just the light wind, but by then I was exhausted.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

torgeaux posted:

wind was 10-12 mph steady...

God, I wish.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

The soul-draining process continues. Offer contracts have been signed on both the sale of our current house and the purchase of our target house. In both cases, the other party is raising “unexpected” issues, all nit-picky and clearly designed to drive the final price up or down.

My wife is a licensed transactional paralegal who writes and reviews real estate contracts for a living, so of course every contract has like a million errors that have to corrected.

I have temporarily mollified her by saying since we have a large green-side bunker complex right off our backyard, we are buying “beachfront-property.”

We’re replacing every bit of flooring in the new house with engineered hardwood. The contractor just hit us with, “Glue is really expensive right now, so the flooring you picked is going to be super-expensive to install.” loving glue.

This will be the house in which i commit suicide.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 27, 2021

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Yeah, I have several projects I'd like to work on but the cost of everything related is so crazy right now, lumber especially.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lincoln posted:

The soul-draining process continues. Offer contracts have been signed on both the sale of our current house and the purchase of our target house. In both cases, the other party is raising “unexpected” issues, all nit-picky and clearly designed to drive the final price up or down.

My wife is a licensed transactional paralegal who writes and reviews real estate contracts for a living, so of course every contract has like a million errors that have to corrected.

I have temporarily mollified her by saying since we have a large green-side bunker complex right off our backyard, we are buying “beachfront-property.”

We’re replacing every bit of flooring in the new house with engineered hardwood. The contractor just hit us with, “Glue is really expensive right now, so the flooring you picked is going to be super-expensive to install.” loving glue.

This will be the house in which i commit suicide.

Sounds like horseshit. That's not going to bump the overall price that much. He's faffing, and probably huffing too. Lumber prices, yeah.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lincoln posted:

I fully trust you’re saying that but I’m not sure she’s doing anything but rolling her eyes at the joke. A+ for effort though.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Psssh, I was just at Home Depot the other day and we found some high quality vinyl flooring that was only $.30/sq. Foot!!

seriously though, I feel for anyone trying to get anything like that done right now. It’s insane!

My rickety 1952 built house that we bought 5 years ago for 270k is now apparently worth 440k, which if you were to see my house, we’d all agree is absurd.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Still waiting on my new ballmarkers. Turns out my manufacturer can get them done pretty quickly if I ask for 3 at a time. When I asked for 8 at once it significantly slowed things down. Been working on some other stuff in the meantime though. I'll be launching this next week.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1388485088984371200?s=21

Someone go try this and take video pls

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm starting to get into golf, i tried getting into it when i was young but didn't have the patience to work on it.

Anyway, I only have one hand, so i'm trying to learn a one-handed swing, and it's a work in progress. I hit the range with rented clubs and just try to get solid contact and get it out there- i'm able to consistently get about 75-80 yards with a rented 6 iron. When it comes time for me to buy my own, I'm curious as to what to do as a one-handed golfer.

I'm fairly content to just hit up the local par 3 courses in West Virginia.

Sorry if this seems non-specific, if anybody has any advice for one-handed golfing, i'd appreciate it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Panzeh posted:

I'm starting to get into golf, i tried getting into it when i was young but didn't have the patience to work on it.

Anyway, I only have one hand, so i'm trying to learn a one-handed swing, and it's a work in progress. I hit the range with rented clubs and just try to get solid contact and get it out there- i'm able to consistently get about 75-80 yards with a rented 6 iron. When it comes time for me to buy my own, I'm curious as to what to do as a one-handed golfer.

I'm fairly content to just hit up the local par 3 courses in West Virginia.

Sorry if this seems non-specific, if anybody has any advice for one-handed golfing, i'd appreciate it.

I think most of the golf-savvy dudes here would recommend you get a fitting. I'm not one of them, but I'd wonder how a same length set of irons would work for you. Just in terms of eliminating one variable of stance.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I played semi-regularly with a one-handed golfer. He was older, but he talked a lot about doing things that helped avoid tiring out his arm. #1 was never feeling bad about playing tees as far forward as works for you. He also had a big flat putter that would stand up on its own so he could set it down and line it up rather than hover it too long. He also said it was way easier (on his arm) playing around the green with a hybrid or lofted wood whenever possible. Not too sure why on that one, I always assumed it just took a lot to hit high lofted chips vs. the ol’ bump and run.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I posted in here about a page or two ago about playing one handed because I broke my thumb. It was still a lot of fun and I was surprised how well I played. Definitely lost a lot of distance but I was honestly more accurate with one arm than two, probably because I just had to swing nice and slow and steady.

My arm was pretty sore after 18 holes though.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
I would assume it's better to have your one arm be your trail arm. Is this accurate.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Alright, sorry they're coming so late but I have some photos from the hickory event I played the other day. I didn't take many because we got rained on the entire day.

The event was at Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, TX where they play the Colonial Invitational every year. This was a celebration of the 75th anniversary of the tournament. We played the original tee boxes they played in 1946, with the same kind of clubs they used in 1946, had reproductions of the scorecard they used back then, and the prize was the same prize that Ben Hogan won in 46 (I didn't win). The event was hosted by Charles Schwab and the No Laying Up, the NLU crew is who invited me.

Neil from NLU ended up with the low round but DJ Piehowski's team won the team prize. We got dumped on the entire day and we had to carry our clubs so it was pretty miserable. I hit the persimmon driver great, the irons alright, but could not figure out the putter to save my life. All the weight was in the heel so I had 0 feel when putting. We did have an open bar at the restaurant afterwards which was fun.

Colonial seems like a great course, though they're going to close it for a year after the 2022 tournament and Gil Hanse is going to do a complete makeover bringing it back towards the original design. The Colonial people really want to do it again next year so here's hoping I get the invite again.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That is rad as hell.

every time I see those Louisville clubs pop up somewhere I get more and more tempted by them. Feel like they'd be a hoot to have for a goof-around outing

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
The club builder for Louisville was in my group along with the guy that owns Walker Trolleys (https://walkertrolleys.com) and the member at Colonial that is the director of operations for the Colonial Invitational on the course's side. We only broke 2 clubs the whole day but the Louisville guy was like "yeah, that just happens sometimes. If they don't break in the first 15 swings they're usually good but you never know."

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Sad to say, the new Kirkland ball is no more durable than the old one.

This is after Hole 1, driver, pitching wedge.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

holy poo poo that's terrible :stare:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I tried them and didn't love them at all, lost distance too. Ended up going the used pro v route and ended up feeling much better about that decision

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That reminds me of the Top Flite Strata that Jim Furyk played.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ElGroucho posted:

That looks identical to the Cut Blue I used to game. Great ball, but lasted at most three holes. I just played 72 holes with a used Pro V1, and it's still fine.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Yeah those hickory clubs we played with had freshly sharpened grooves and they absolutely destroyed balls. I'd hit one shot with an iron and have pieces peeling off. And since we could only fit about 6 balls in the bag, it came pretty close there at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Went in for a fitting today at Joe and Leigh's in Easton, MA, which I *strongly, strongly* recommend for any MA goons (it is far and away the best, most expert, most friendly, least BS of any of the half-dozen places I've done fittings).

I stupidly walked 9 last night and then walked 18 this morning before my fittings, with no yoga or anything in btwn, so I was a bit tired and stiff going in, but managed to mostly approximate my usual club head speed and angle of attack so feel mostly confident my clubs would fit.

I ended up narrowing it down to the Ping G425 and the Callaway Apex DCB, which is their new forged GI set. I felt really torn, because I went in thinking I would want pings, but absolutely loved how I felt when I hit the DCBs, and the way they looked. However, the trackman showed zero difference between them in launch angle, shot dispersion, ball speed, spin, etc.

I asked the head fitter — who was running my fitting — and to my surprise he recommended the Pings, on account that there was no measurable difference in the numbers, that I knew from past experience I had hit pings well, and that the pings are significantly cheaper (indeed, if you look at the DCB website, everyone loves them and lists the only downside as price). I was surprised mostly because you'd expect them to upsell you, and I appreciated what I interpreted as the integrity of that (even though he said he played Callaways himself). But he said "look, I'll put on my best fitter shrink hat, and tell you that the numbers show you are just as good with both of these, and so unless it truly doesn't matter, it makes no sense to spend more, and then regret it later." It was hard to argue with that, especially because I am a little price sensitive, and the G425s fell cleanly within my budget.

After my fitting was over, he asked if he could give me a setup tip (not swing), and I accepted. He then showed me how I was consistently opening my left shoulder a bit at setup, and then did something truly insane I have never seen before, which was tell me to stand 10 feet behind him and watch him set his shoulders, and then, to prove how straight his setup was, he brought his club and head back, looked directly behind him at me, and then hit a 250 straight shot while never looking at the ball, just rotating through while leaving his head looking directly back at me, like an owl.

Anyway, they told me it could take 4-6 weeks to get my clubs in, but looking forward to that happening so I can get out there and try them. golf

Petey fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 6, 2021