Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I finished Gnosia. On the whole its quite annoying that most of the character facts are fairly useless outside of the one loop you encounter them (so rather than you gaining insight on character tics that give you an advantage youre generally supposed to pick up on that yourself and what you learn is more along the lines of gina was an air traffic controller) but the overall story was interesting

Namtab fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

Hmm, I don't post often on SA, but I figured this was the best place to ask. I recently completed Raging Loop and I generally thought it was very well done. However, I cannot figure out why one specific event happened, and I was hoping someone would know.

Why does Chiemi rot away in the first ending? It never seems to be addressed, even in the revelations and the extra stories. I mean, I have a theory based on stuff from the Sheep extra story, but it doesn't work with the revelation stuff also found in the route. I am frustrated since I found the scene to be effective and was what made me really get into the story.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think you're right that you can justify it with the Sheep story. Haruaki has "detective" powers. His thoughts can warp the world. Because he accepted that yomibito and werewolves were real in the first route Chiemi's beliefs became real.

That scene is very similar to one in Umineko now I think about it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
danganronpa v3's a weird rear end game

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

HE... IS ALL THAT REMAINS OF A ONCE POWERFUL NATION (SHOWTIME)

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I recently finished the first trial in v3 and... same.

for one thing, why are Gonta's lines all Tarzan-like in the eng translation? His manner of speech seems perfectly normal to me

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Steely Glint posted:

for one thing, why are Gonta's lines all Tarzan-like in the eng translation? His manner of speech seems perfectly normal to me

idk but it's a weird and bad localization choice, nisa's speciality

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Steely Glint posted:

I recently finished the first trial in v3 and... same.

He was apparently overly formal in Japanese, which they struggled to translate properly and so they settled on that?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah v3 just has a lot of, really bizarre localization choices. the tls for the first two games are kinda clunky in spots but v3 goes all in on some weird things

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
I'm a bit deeper into Root Film now. it has a very episodic format, with each chapter comprising of one mystery and the overall plot seems to be "what's the deal with this old-rear end footage". characters are a lot of fun. Magari and Yagumo in particular have great chemistry

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
One.
Two.
One.
Two!
He is all that remains of a once powerful nation. (Showtime.)
Right now, you're on the threshold of an amazing adventure. (Showtime.)

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Finished Root Film. it was alright. really good main cast(Magari owns), interesting mysteries, extremely lackluster villains. the motive of the main villain was... very dumb, to a hilarious degree. also the ending was underwhelming. 6 outta 10

OH also the english script desperately needed another pass. just absolutely riddled with typos

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 12, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
heading into the final class trial of danganronpa v3. i got spoiled on some if its big end stuff years ago but with or without that i think it's just my favorite game in the series, it has basically none of the stuff that bothered me about anything before it

like i guess chapter 1's twist is kinda sad and a couple bits of chapter 3 were a bit goofy but unlike like, dr2, i haven't felt like any of its big choices were totally wasted conceptually

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 19, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well that was a motehrfucking way to end a big series

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/1384884633893052419?s=20

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
Also, Herlock Sholmes, because of all the copyright issues surrounding that specific issue. :v:

The fan translation for 2 recently released Chapter 3 for the game, but I think Scarlet Study is still going ahead with their thing.

Pyre of Word Salsa fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 22, 2021

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well I finally got around to starting ML Extra, after putting it off for who knows how long. I know the vagaries of the direction the series goes eventually but I have literally zero idea how it could possibly get there from here.

I just hit November and I take it this is the infamous lacrosse hell swamp I have to get through, oh boy.

Thoughts so far are positive though, takeru's rear end in a top hat vn protagonist disease notwithstanding. I was reticent to go for Meiya since she's so overwhelmingly popular that it'd feel a bit rote but I got won over p quick, not gonna lie. Chizuru is still extremely close though and if she had more early scenes she might have won me over.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well you have to do meiya and sumika before you can move on. Also meiya us by and by far the best

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Most recent versions have Unlimited unlocked from the start so it doesn't really matter

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I finished Meiya route last night and Chizuru just a few minutes ago, and I gotta say, the game sure likes raking my heartstrings over the coals around the endgame of any given route when Sumika starts getting down in the dumps. I'm very glad that the Chizuru route left the whole turning down Meiya thing in an epilogue paragraph and didn't make me sit through it, I'm not sure I could've handled it knowing what I know from her route. Sumika tugs at the heartstrings a bit but the 'i'm not into you like that' speech is a little easier with her style of banter.

Now the question is if I'm invested enough to put the time into the other routes... I feel kinda obligated to do Sumika given the aforementioned snubbing, but man, I really don't want to do the Miki/Kei routes.

Edit: Oh, right, and while I really liked the Chizuru route overall, I gotta say it's too bad that they coward out of the coke bottles for the date scenes and also for a lot of the 'heavy' scenes all I could think about was it hitting a little too close to home, a la

Edit 2: wow I was expecting more unique content in the sumika route but I guess a ten minute power through works just fine. Now time to figure out what the hell is going on

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 24, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the original system of requiring the Meiya and Sumika routes made sense, I'd at least do those. The others are optional.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah I ended up just doing it anyways and it was remarkably unchanged from the Meiya route, just with less at the end.

I'm firmly into Unlimited now, just had the unveiling of the Takemikazuchi and I can solidly so far say: What

Also honestly I haven't read a vn in like, years so I'm only realizing now how much of a Meiya I've been pulling, chugging along. If I didn't absolutely have to sleep right now I would probably just keep going, it's fun. But out of curiosity, since I'm just playing what's available for my vita atm, where do I go from here after I clear out what I've got? Is everything available/what's next/etc?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Unlimited doesn't really have a proper route structure like Extra, it just changes a few things at the very end depending on what girl you are closest with. So for all intents and purposes you can stop with Unlimited after finishing it once and move on to Alternative.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I mean like, game wise. There's the rest of unlimited, then alternative, which like I mentioned I also have on vita, but that's where my, for lack of a better word, cultural osmosis ends. And for a fear of spoiling things I don't wanna fall into a wiki hole about going forward on what other games/etc are available, since from what I'm aware it's a rather sprawling series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can just do Alternative once you've finished that and ignore literally everything else

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are some very specific aspects of Alternative that I would not have minded exploring in other games or side stories, but as far as I knew pretty much none of the extra stuff that is out there covers it so I felt more than comfortable not bothering. The only thing that I would've been on board for is Altered Fable but AFAIK that never got finished (latest update that I see is from 2014 with a few routes done).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 24, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's my understanding that most of the content from altered fable including the main scenario "before the shimmering time ends" are included in the photon melodies and photon flowers collections that have been translated.

Tbh I think most of the post alternative content is kind of weak. The day after is interesting but is a weird way to do a sequel. The two animes are garbage.

The codex is totally worth flipping through though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

There are some very specific aspects of Alternative that I would not have minded exploring in other games or side stories, but as far as I knew pretty much none of the extra stuff that is out there covers it so I felt more than comfortable not bothering. The only thing that I would've been on board for is Altered Fable but AFAIK that never got finished (latest update that I see is from 2014 with a few routes done).
Altered Fable is included in Muv Luv Photon Melodies.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well that's good, I always just assumed those were the various side stories. I redeemed those codes but never bothered to download them.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I'm usually not into side story stuff, but I really enjoyed a lot of what Muv-Luv has to offer (with some exceptions in Photonflowers)

Confessions, Before The Cherry Blossoms Bloom, and Atonement are all great in Photonflowers. Photonmelodies is interesting because the tone of its stories are very Unlimited-y, so if you play it right after Alternative you'll get a truly circular emotional arc, which is wonderful

Haven't played The Day After yet

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Welp Unlimited clear.

That was some messy crying it got out of me, goddamn. Extremely unfair callbacks. VNs are bad for my health.

Edit: poo poo I only just realized how much posting I've been doing in here vs it's usual activity, sorry about that, I just got kinda wrapped up in it despite it being what is probably well trodden ground at this point my bad

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 25, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alternative is considered the 'main event' but I always preferred Unlimited tbh

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Welp Unlimited clear.

That was some messy crying it got out of me, goddamn. Extremely unfair callbacks. VNs are bad for my health.

Edit: poo poo I only just realized how much posting I've been doing in here vs it's usual activity, sorry about that, I just got kinda wrapped up in it despite it being what is probably well trodden ground at this point my bad

Last I checked threads are meant to be posted in, :justpost:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Alrighty, I guess if the :justpost: is in order, if the keeping of a play log/CIA document isn't too irksome.

Well during the server downtime I got myself to where the prof sets up the device to send us back home, if just for a few hours, and I'll admit, I teared up a little at the concept myself when it finally set in for Takeru that he was back. I'm such a pushover, even vicariously through his excitement getting me happy too. This is why I say VNs are bad for my health. Just going through the whole control room infodump now though.

Couple of thoughts so far:
-The whole speedrunning the plot thing is definitely intriguing and it leads to some good tension, but considering stuff like the OP hinting at sumika coming over to our world somehow I'm a little daunted at how big this game is gonna end up being. Not that I'm actually looking to find out before I get there, mind you, just saying, it seems like a beast
-I will admit, they got me good with the whole Kasumi/Sumika thing, I was totally expecting it to be more along the lines of 'kasumi IS sumika' in some capacity, but they sure do go out of their way to say 'nope, that's not what's going on here' pretty directly. Should've given the game more credit.
-There has not been nearly enough Meiya onscreen
-Whenever Meiya is not onscreen people should be asking 'Where's Meiya?'
-Similarly the fact that it's been all Sumika all the time has me worried, since I've kinda done the Meiya routes all the way through so far, making it seem like 'nah you've actually been doing full time sumika right' (insofar as its references to the og go at least) sure stings a bit

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alternative is long as hell. It's the longest vn I'd played until umineko.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Gaius Marius posted:

Alternative is long as hell. It's the longest vn I'd played until umineko.

It clocks in around 50 hours for an 'average' playthrough, doesn't it? I read pretty fast and didn't let 100% of the voice clips play sometimes and that estimate sticks in my mind.

If you left it on auto it could be another 10% or more on top of that. Big.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I couldn't tell you how long it took me exactly cause I played the Fan Translated version, but It took me at least 80 hours, longer than all three routes of Fate I'd say. I read VN's really slowly though

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I can't say I regret my time spent on muv-luv but the longer time goes by the more I think Alternative wasn't actually that great.

Altered Fable on the other hand.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Last I checked threads are meant to be posted in, :justpost:

Double post, triple post, all I demand is a pure love of visual novels.