Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

Rebrand Rotten Tomatoes as "Family Movie Night-O-Meter"

Seems clunky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I just watched Alien from L.A.. I originally saw the MST3K version, and discovered that the original movie is free to watch on Youtube. It's a strange, semi-low budget movie from Cannon which mashes together an underground civilization, strange characters, a girl searching for her father, and a touch of perhaps Jules Verne and 1984. It's definitely too good of a movie to be on MST3K, and I strangely enjoyed it. Check it out if you're in the mood for some odd but endearing 80s sci-fi.

On a similar note, I didn't realize that there were a bunch of free movies to watch on the Youtube channel called "Youtube Movies." At the moment, they have stuff like Terminator, Galaxy Quest, Shaolin Soccer, and Big Trouble in Little China.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Alien from LA is definitely one of the MST3K episodes that I thought I hated because the 500MB third-gen VHS rip I had was just too bad to watch.

Some of their best episodes were from movies that were "too good" compared to, say, The Giant Spider Invasion.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

DorianGravy posted:

I just watched Alien from L.A.. I originally saw the MST3K version, and discovered that the original movie is free to watch on Youtube. It's a strange, semi-low budget movie from Cannon which mashes together an underground civilization, strange characters, a girl searching for her father, and a touch of perhaps Jules Verne and 1984. It's definitely too good of a movie to be on MST3K, and I strangely enjoyed it. Check it out if you're in the mood for some odd but endearing 80s sci-fi.

On a similar note, I didn't realize that there were a bunch of free movies to watch on the Youtube channel called "Youtube Movies." At the moment, they have stuff like Terminator, Galaxy Quest, Shaolin Soccer, and Big Trouble in Little China.

Comedy Central used to air the movie by itself, I assume because they had the rights to it from when it was acquired for MST3K.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DorianGravy posted:

I haven't re-watched the movie but I remember in the MST3K version I thought it was pretty watchable and even charming in a janky low-budget way, but Kathy Ireland totally should have ended up with the fake Australian guy instead of the boring guy she ends up with in the end(basing this from memory)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

First episode of Shadow and Bone made a good impression on me. This fantasy, light/dark, elemental power stuff is extremely my poo poo, lmao.

mystes
May 31, 2006

teagone posted:

First episode of Shadow and Bone made a good impression on me. This fantasy, light/dark, elemental power stuff is extremely my poo poo, lmao.
I'll probably give it a shot but it looks so generic.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

teagone posted:

The reviews I've been saying are all saying that it's better than they expected.

Which, is saying a lot because it seems like for the most part Netflix has kind of stopped trying, and has been pushing a lot of crap.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Turns out you can just make whatever garbage you want because people will watch whatever you put in front of them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea they figured out that what people really want is quantity, quality is secondary. People don't want to log in to Netflix and have trouble finding something new, they want a neverending flow of new content.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mystes posted:

I'll probably give it a shot but it looks so generic.

I'm 5 episodes in, and it's sorta diverged into heavy YA romance territory, which... is fine? I'm ok with it, lol. Mostly because the actors are pretty good! But there's also a neat enough plot hook/twist reveal that's got me invested, even if it said twist was kinda telegraphed.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I've continued my Apple+ watch. Like I said, I loving loved Ted Lasso. I then watched Mythic Quest which was decent. I'm not sure I ever laughed at any of the jokes, but I enjoyed it enough. I just finished Morning Show which I liked a lot more than I expected. Then I just put on the first episode of See, that Jason Mamoa show where it's the future and all of humanity has lost its sight. There's a lot of really dumb stuff in it, but I am absolute sucker for some world building.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I didn’t think the new Mortal Kombat (HBO Max) was all that notable. It certainly doesn’t hold a candle to the pinnacle of the franchise, Mortal Kombat Annihilation, a movie so gloriously idiotic I can’t help but smile whenever I remember it exists. A lot of it is tedious origin story stuff for the actual tournament, which isn’t even in the movie! 2/5 somersaulting James Remars.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I enjoyed the new Mortal Kombat. Lots of fun martial arts and some genuinely funny moments throughout. The actor who plays Kano does a great job at being a sarcastic shithead. He was a highlight for me. The story is pretty bland and straightforward but it gives us a good backdrop for plenty of crazy fights. The fights themselves have plenty of moments that aren't "oh look at what they did on a computer" some fun choreography and stunt work. I think it's worth watching whether you liked that Paul WS Anderson one or not.

Things I miss:
The cool boat
The original Shang Tsung actor
The original soundtrack

Things I liked:
Kano
Lots of fan service (not the t&a kind)
Fight Choreography

Final thoughts:
When are they going to get to the fireworks factory tournament?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The new Mortal Kombat was wayyyyyyyy better than I expected

Kano was great

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I enjoyed it. Neither one is haute cinema, but the original holds a special nostalgic place in my heart. The one thing I will say unequivocally is that no matter how racist it might have been to cast Christopher Lambert as Raiden, he was way better than this guy. Reptile rules, and I did like that finding your kombat power requires feeling genuine passion, like turning technicolor in Pleasantville.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I thought Mortal Kombat was great. With the obvious caveat that it’s a video game movie. The plot is obviously meh but the action scenes were great and it was fully, bloodily, in the spirit of the games. Kano was amazing and the humor really added to a movie that you can’t take 100% seriously in the first place. My only gripe was with some of the character selection... I have no memory of the girl with the wings, and only vaguely remember the sledgehammer guy. They should have put in cyrax or noob saibot!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Post credits should've featured the original garish cgi reptile dancing to the MK theme.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mortal Kombat was perfectly serviceable and worth having an HBOMax sub for.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jolo posted:

Post credits should've featured the original garish cgi reptile dancing to the MK theme.

I just thought, Jax will be back in MK2

He was in a time out. It was like a prequel, nawp

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Inspector Hound posted:

I enjoyed it. Neither one is haute cinema, but the original holds a special nostalgic place in my heart. The one thing I will say unequivocally is that no matter how racist it might have been to cast Christopher Lambert as Raiden, he was way better than this guy. Reptile rules, and I did like that finding your kombat power requires feeling genuine passion, like turning technicolor in Pleasantville.

Yeah, Christopher Lambert was the superior Raiden. I dunno about racist tho. Like I'm asian and it's cool that the heavy coded asian characters are still there and good looking, but like... Mortal Kombat is like a white videogame from a white company. Like 4 of the characters were the same dude wearing a ninja mask. props tho

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RCarr posted:

I thought Mortal Kombat was great. With the obvious caveat that it’s a video game movie. The plot is obviously meh but the action scenes were great and it was fully, bloodily, in the spirit of the games. Kano was amazing and the humor really added to a movie that you can’t take 100% seriously in the first place. My only gripe was with some of the character selection... I have no memory of the girl with the wings, and only vaguely remember the sledgehammer guy. They should have put in cyrax or noob saibot!

Noob Saibot was in the film...he just wasn't Noob Saibot yet. :D

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Burned through the rest of Shadow & Bone this morning. Decent show. Mostly predictable writing, but the cast and their performances along with the interesting enough world building kept me engaged. If you don't like YA romance poo poo, you might not enjoy it, but its Russian-coded fantasy setting is pretty neat imo, and that might be enough for some.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Stowaway is good fun but also it's so funny trying to take seriously the notion of Anna Kendrick, Astronaut :j:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

At least she’s the right size.

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Just finished my rewatch of it. Just great. Lots of shows default to mean spirited for laughs. Not this one. The writing is top notch. Huge fan of Drew Tarver because of the Teacher's Lounge. Also Bajillion Dollar Properties. Ken Marino is great in everything. Find the move to HBOMax interesting.

The Other Two was already greenlit for another season before Comedy Central decided to shift mostly towards adult animation for whatever idiotic reason. Anyway, I think it will live on HBO Max for s.2 and hopefully more than that

Also watch Nora from Queens, it's pretty funny

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure Shadow and Bone just exists to sell cosplay accessories. Not much else going for it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

withak posted:

Pretty sure Shadow and Bone just exists to sell cosplay accessories. Not much else going for it.

Yeah, lmao. The costuming is great.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I got heavy "chosen one with special powers must save the world" vibes from the trailer and jesus that trope is pretty played out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shadow and Bone is just really bad. It seems like it should have been possible to make it interesting but they somehow manage to make it impossible to care about anything that happens. It also has lots of exposition about the world and yet it's fairly confusing because it's not clear why the actual events being shown are happening.

It's also impressive how generic it feels even though the russian-inspired setting is slightly unusual.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

withak posted:

Season 1 is great. Season 2 does not exist, there is no Season 2.

I thought season 2 was actually fine. Not close to as good as 1 though.

Also, how is a friggin Mortal Kombat movie over like 85 minutes? Why does every movie need to be 2 hours?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 25, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Also, how is a friggin Mortal Kombat movie over like 85 minutes? Why does every movie need to be 2 hours?
It has surprisingly long credits and is really more like 100 minutes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I think at some point studios noticed that very successful movies tended to be on the longer side and assumed the length was an important element of why they were successful.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Shadow and Bone is good actually. It's very much a typical YA fantasy romance, but it's a pretty good one of those. The world is really neat and the characters are all pretty cool, the magic is pretty basic but they do some cool stuff with it. Pairs pretty well with a bowl of weed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I got heavy "chosen one with special powers must save the world" vibes from the trailer and jesus that trope is pretty played out.

It's less "save the world" and more "prevent nation from splintering" type deal. Themes of racial oppression are overtly present, so it's not as cut and dry as the the trailers make it out to be.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I just got around to watching Aniara on Hulu, and drat, it was great. It's a Swedish movie about a cruise ship to Mars getting knocked off course and how the passengers deal with their overwhelming existential despair in the face of an uncaring universe. That's basically my favorite genre so I loved it, but other people may find it a little too bleak. I've always found the idea that the Earth and everything on it is completely irrelevant and less than a speck of dust when compared to the enormity of the universe to be comforting and kind of beautiful, so this was really the movie for me.

I mean, isn't Earth just a really big spaceship when you think about it?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Shadow and Bone was really great. It's easily better than most of the drivel Netflix has been putting out lately (not a high bar, I know). Much better than Witcher at least. It's your standard YA fantasy romance, but its well done standard YA fantasy romance.

Plus the show changed the main character to be half Asian and made racism a big part of it, and added some gay sex. Both of those things are A+ in my book.

It leans away from most "chosen one" stories in that the stakes are small - the country got torn in half by a big shadow full of monsters a few hundred years ago and finally the right type of magic user was born to fix it.

Honestly I thought all the costumes were ugly as gently caress (they must have hired the same person to do them as the Witcher) so the only neat cosplay ideas are installing antlers into your collarbone

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I don’t know, everybody was still moving through the dialogue like they were in a rush. It was kind of a strange movie.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Kano wasn't rushin, he's Australian. :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Kabal might've been Russian though. He's pretty fast!