Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else watching Shadow and Bone on Netflix? I had never heard of it before, but it looks promising so far. A bit fantasy steampunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1385666934558003201

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

THey're already on like season 20 of the Bachelor

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

THey're already on like season 20 of the Bachelor

Survivor is on Season 40 despite premiering in 2000.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1385348613950242818?s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Survivor is on Season 40 despite premiering in 2000.

But...time's arrow...

ahaha

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know if this means we're getting Alan Tudyk back but they just announced that they cast a bunch of the Sisterhood* of Dada for Doom Patrol season 3.

*in the original comic it was called the Brotherhood of Dada and was lead by Mr Nobody

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

SimonChris posted:

Anyone else watching Shadow and Bone on Netflix? I had never heard of it before, but it looks promising so far. A bit fantasy steampunky.

I'm probably going to yeah.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Jokes on you, he's going back to America's Funniest Home Videos:
https://twitter.com/Tom_Bergeron/status/1385736259616792576

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Carlton deserves gainful employment though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

He's going to do Hollywood Squares again! Except now it's all on Zoom.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

X-O posted:

He's going to do Hollywood Squares again! Except now it's all on Zoom.

They need to update the slang for the new audience, call it Hollywood Boomers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bruceski posted:

They need to update the slang for the new audience, call it Hollywood Boomers.

:perfect:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh, new Time For My Stories is out, on Game of Thrones even. It's good! Felix and Matt from Chapo Trap House talkin' Gambos.

Sinteres posted:

I just binge watched the entirety of Justified over the last couple weeks, and I really enjoyed it for the first couple seasons, but feel like it never hit those heights again. I know thinking 2 is the peak is conventional wisdom (as is thinking 5 is the worst), but one reason I think I liked 1 more than the rest is because having more episodic stuff actually seemed like a positive for this show, which is an opinion I pretty much never have. The season long plots just felt kind of stretched/exhausting to me, and led to Boyd in particular being overused/overexposed (despite how good Walton Goggins is) which hurt season 6 a lot imo, where this often desperate/pathetic small town crook who's kind of failed upwards (if that) for a while is public enemy #1 instead of the seemingly more dangerous Markham. It just feels really artificial how the final season switch was flipped and suddenly poo poo everyone ignored about Boyd for years really mattered to everyone, but also Boyd never really being in the driver's seat for long (or a threat to Raylan at all really) in the season where he was the big bad felt weird.. I feel bad for the actors who played Tim and Rachel, since on most shows they would have seen more screen time as the seasons went on, but between Raylan, Boyd and whatever seasonal villains were around, they (especially Rachel) were barely even characters.

I'm enough of a sap that I was sad it didn't work out with Raylan and Winona, even though he absolutely didn't even deserve another chance with her after not even visiting her and their daughter when he was in Florida in season 5. Some of his issues with putting work first in earlier seasons felt 'justified,' but he seemed like an increasingly obsessed weirdo in 5 and 6.

To be fair, i could also like the earlier seasons the most because watching six seasons in two weeks was too much and that's why later seasons felt exhausting as much as anything. :shrug:

For me, it was seasons 3+4 that were my height. Not only because the Quarles and Limehouse stuff in S3 was loving amazing in every way (and the heavy promotion of one Wynn Duffy), but season 4's entire feel had things down. Tim had something to do, even! I totally agree that Tim was underutilized for the series overall, but his entire relationship with Ron Eldard's Colt was great in that season, between knowing one another on first sight and having an amiable respect for the circumstances of each other, but being on the opposite sides of the law, to Tim snagging his glasses after offing him as a trophy of sorts, it was very well-crafted for such a downplayed character. S5 was just a step down from that, and S6 felt like it was back on its game after that hiccup, which is why S5 tends to stand out in a lotta minds as being the worst, even though it's not necessarily terrible or anything.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The creative team behind Youtube's Wayne show is going to be doing the John Wick spinoff tv show. It's a weird format though because the first season is 3x90 minute episodes.

https://collider.com/john-wick-the-continental-tv-show-lead-character/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw WAYNE and got excited.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Mu Zeta posted:

The creative team behind Youtube's Wayne show is going to be doing the John Wick spinoff tv show. It's a weird format though because the first season is 3x90 minute episodes.

that's very british of them

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lance better still be the concierge

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Apoplexy posted:

For me, it was seasons 3+4 that were my height. Not only because the Quarles and Limehouse stuff in S3 was loving amazing in every way (and the heavy promotion of one Wynn Duffy), but season 4's entire feel had things down. Tim had something to do, even! I totally agree that Tim was underutilized for the series overall,

You left out the most important thing about season 4, Constable Bob. But yeah, season 4 is great and Decoy is easily up there for best episodes of the entire show.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s been over a few years but I still think about that last episode of the Knick. Goddamn what an ending for a show.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

ruddiger posted:

It’s been over a few years but I still think about that last episode of the Knick. Goddamn what an ending for a show.

Yeah it's like 20 gut punches in a row

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm kind of surprised this is still happening because IIRC they announced it around the second movie and then that was about it for news.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Apoplexy posted:

For me, it was seasons 3+4 that were my height. Not only because the Quarles and Limehouse stuff in S3 was loving amazing in every way (and the heavy promotion of one Wynn Duffy), but season 4's entire feel had things down. Tim had something to do, even! I totally agree that Tim was underutilized for the series overall, but his entire relationship with Ron Eldard's Colt was great in that season, between knowing one another on first sight and having an amiable respect for the circumstances of each other, but being on the opposite sides of the law, to Tim snagging his glasses after offing him as a trophy of sorts, it was very well-crafted for such a downplayed character. S5 was just a step down from that, and S6 felt like it was back on its game after that hiccup, which is why S5 tends to stand out in a lotta minds as being the worst, even though it's not necessarily terrible or anything.

I do think 3 and 4 were a big step up over 5 and 6, and if I ranked the seasons on a different day I could see myself shuffling up the order of the first four seasons pretty drastically. Quarles was probably the most menacing character in the series, and season 4 ending with Raylan basically breaking bad worse than at any other point in the series (except for maybe the first scene in the pilot) by participating in a mafia executionwas pretty hardcore. I might have ranked 3 up with 1 and 2 to start with, but that's the season I watched entirely in one night after work when I couldn't sleep, so through no fault of its own it ended up being a little less memorable than the others since my brain was mush by the end. You're absolutely right about season 4 being the peak of giving one of the marginal characters from the main cast something to do, and that was cool. Boyd getting that dumbass preacher guy to kill himself with the snake was a highlight for me too. The Drew Thompson twist was also excellent. What probably cost that season the most in my evaluation immediately after finishing the series was that it set a lot of stuff I didn't like about the next couple seasons into motion.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Shadow and Bone is the GOAT* (very minor spoilers):

* It's an actual goat, get it?

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 25, 2021

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Alright I'm starting that tonight.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
finished Brockmire.

thoughts on seasons 2-4 since I watched all of them in one sitting:

the jk simmons stuff somehow ended up being probably the best serious moments in the series

weird gimmick in season 4 but it worked ok. also was there some kind of light filter on the whole time or was my tv broken? if it was intentional Because Of The Gimmick well i did not like it

seasons 3 and 4 needed more Charles

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Watching Chad and :pwn:

I'm glad there's only three episodes on Hulu atm, it's a little too much for binging.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

SimonChris posted:

Wife and I just finished the first episode and we liked it. They did the same storytelling trick from The Witcher of having two separate plot threads in an episode taking place in different times, that was a fun "A-ha" moment when they revealed it.

VV Fair enough

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 25, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i feel like you just kinda gave away the big spoiler there lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fox has a goddamn political puppet show starting this week and it looks like the most embarrassing thing ever.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
lmfao

this poo poo is gonna be a turbo black hole of funny

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It has a waa~acky Trump which is definitely an awesome thing that needs to exist.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Let's Be Real is the brainchild of Robert Smigel and Jimmy Kimmel, so there's maybe an outside shot of it being funny?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Smigel is only funny with Triumph and everything else sucks

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Watching Chad and :pwn:

I'm glad there's only three episodes on Hulu atm, it's a little too much for binging.

It’s such insanely hard work I’m not sure it’s worth it for the few laughs I get.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, agreed.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Aardvark! posted:

lmfao

this poo poo is gonna be a turbo black hole of funny

Gonna choose to believe that puppet Biden was just snorting a giant rail and never watch the show to contradict that

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SimonChris posted:

Just finished it, pretty good imho. Ben Barnes is really great at being the bad guy.

Edit: show is super predictable but I guess that might be a spoiler

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 26, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC Follies is back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

SimonChris posted:

I just finished the first ep and it's a fun fantasy show. Feels really Netflixy/CWy - everyone's really hot and the dialogue is kind of corny, but the production and sets are great.

I think it's based on a set of YA fantasy novels, so I'm tempering my expectations plot wise, but it scratches all the fantasy trope itches.