Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Morrissey and his manager have responded.

Morrissey's manager posted:

Poking fun at subjects is one thing … but when a show stoops so low to use harshly hateful tactics like showing the Morrissey character with his belly hanging out of his shirt (when he has never looked like that at any point in his career) makes you wonder who the real hurtful, racist group is here.

Whitlam fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Racist against gammons, the highest form of racism

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Robert Goulet was good. Mark Hamill was pretty good even though it was kind of a garbage episode.

Celebrity cameos were generally good as long as the cameo was relevant to the plot and the celebrity was poking fun at themselves.

I always appreciated how South Park treated celebrity voices early on. Celebrities would reach out to Trey Parker and Matt Stone, eager to do a voice, and they'd say "Sure, you can be a dog or a turkey and make animal sounds". That's how George Clooney ended up as Stan's dog.

I think it was Jerry Seinfeld who had his people contact them about doing a voice, and they responded with "Sure, we'd love to have him do a voice. He can be Turkey #6." Seinfeld's people respond with something like "This is Jerry Seinfeld we're talking about, he's the biggest comedian in the world, you'll have to do better," so Stone and Parker came back with "Fine, he can be Turkey #2."

I'm just going to assume it's an anime set in Victorian London where Conan the Barbarian is inexplicably a detective. He looks and dresses exactly like Arnie in the Conan movies, only he also wears a dearstalker and smokes a pipe.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm assuming it's a new procedural staring Conan O'Brien

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Y'all are half-right: Conan O'Brien plays Arnie as Conan the Barbarian.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Let me just come in here and name drop a show literally no one has heard of.

Y'all think Simpson's will outlive Coronation Street?

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Corrie no, Eastenders yes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We don't watch ur British animes

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I mean endless respect for her versatility and all but ... I am really kind of sick of Tress MacNeille

Not quite Charlie Adler grade grating ubiquity but ... yeah

same, but also add grey delise and the guy who does bender to the list as well.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Let's hear it for Rodney Dangerfield folks, he's alright!

it's not a joke that the simpsons writers would come up with, but i always loved the line:

"if this party gets any livelier, a funeral's gonna break out"

well you see, it's an ani..

Saalkin posted:

Let me just come in here and name drop a show literally no one has heard of.

er..i mean yeah, detective WHAT? *laughs nervously*

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Data Graham posted:

We don't watch ur British animes

Oh same. My parents watched it every loving Sunday. That theme song is burned into my head.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Saalkin posted:

Oh same. My parents watched it every loving Sunday. That theme song is burned into my head.

Casual fans watching the Sunday omnibus edition rather than getting the midweek dripfeed, smh

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

If the Simpsons were a British show, there would be six episodes only, and it would be revered as one of the world’s funniest comedies of all time.

But it’s an American show and :lol: :lmao: just doesn’t know when to call it quits.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

You Are A Elf posted:

If the Simpsons were a British show, there would be six episodes only, and it would be revered as one of the world’s funniest comedies of all time.

But it’s an American show and :lol: :lmao: just doesn’t know when to call it quits.

Would a british Simpsons be more like Downton Abbey or the Eastenders?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Armitag3 posted:

Would a british Simpsons be more like Downton Abbey or the Eastenders?

I’m thinking a fusion of Downton Abbey with Benny Hill.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bluddy 'ell, Marjorie

Behkn butties again

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

british tv has a hugely undeserved reputation for quality and brevity. "last of the summer wine" still holds the record for longest running unfunny sitcom

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

And if you find that distasteful, father, then I invite you to eat my pantaloons.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

british tv has a hugely undeserved reputation for quality and brevity. "last of the summer wine" still holds the record for longest running unfunny sitcom

It's because the funniest ones are so brief. Look how many episodes, total, of Fawlty Towers there are (12). Or Black Books (18), etc. Nobody cares how many episodes of The Vicar of Dubly there are or aren't.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
If Last of the Summer Wine hadn't gone on for so long then what were we supposed to watch at grandma's house in the 90s? Challenge TV hadn't been invented yet so it's not like we could have game shows 24/7!!

It's true though, for every Fawlty Towers there's probably like at least five My Familys in British TV.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Armitag3 posted:

And if you find that distasteful, father, then I invite you to eat my pantaloons.

Oi, wanker!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
we've beaten the weed thread to 420 on 4/20

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 20, 2021

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

bitterandtwisted posted:

Has there ever been a good celebrity cameo, even in the classic era? Someone who's playing themselves, not a written character? I feel like at best they don't add anything
Ringo's reading of "I hung it on me wall" is worth a chuckle I guess

That guy who looks and sounds exactly like Don King.

Also, are...are people here seriously grandstanding about not having heard of Detective Conan? Really?

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 20, 2021

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Yeah, I think there are quite a few fun cameos in classic episodes: Leonard Nimoy, Bob Newhart, the baseball players, Mel Brooks, Sting, Aerosmith, the three surviving Beatles, Tom Jones, Linda Ronstadt, Adam West, Barry White, everyone in Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Ramones, Ernest Borgnine, Conan O'Brien, James Woods, James Taylor, Buzz Aldrin, Mickey Rooney, everyone in Homerpalooza, and there's probably more I'm forgetting. Some of these added very little to the episodes overall, but still had at least one good joke.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Yeah, I think there are quite a few fun cameos in classic episodes: Leonard Nimoy, Bob Newhart, the baseball players, Mel Brooks, Sting, Aerosmith, the three surviving Beatles, Tom Jones, Linda Ronstadt, Adam West, Barry White, everyone in Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Ramones, Ernest Borgnine, Conan O'Brien, James Woods, James Taylor, Buzz Aldrin, Mickey Rooney, everyone in Homerpalooza, and there's probably more I'm forgetting. Some of these added very little to the episodes overall, but still had at least one good joke.

Joe Frazier arguing with Barney over who the greatest British Prime Minister was.

Rascar Capac fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 20, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Brits only make like 4 episodes of their tv shows because they're lazy

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Rascar Capac posted:

Joe Frasier arguing with Barney over who the greatest British Prime Minister was.

That's a terrible example, Wade Boggs should never have been allowed to say that Pitt the Elder was Britain's greatest Prime Minister :britain:

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

donquixotic posted:

That's a terrible example, Wade Boggs should never have been allowed to say that Pitt the Elder was Britain's greatest Prime Minister :britain:

LORD PALMERSTON!

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

A Real Horse posted:

LORD PALMERSTON!

PITT THE YOUNGER!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

donquixotic posted:

PITT THE YOUNGER!

PITT THE ELDER!

:argh:

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

PITT THE ELDER!

:argh:

LORD PARMESAN!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

that wasn't joe frazier, that was some baseball guy! :argh:

frazier kicked barney's rear end after he kept telling him to shut up

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Apparently I'm just putting my own jokes together out of pieces of episodes.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

that wasn't joe frazier, that was some baseball guy! :argh:

frazier kicked barney's rear end after he kept telling him to shut up

Lord Parmigiana!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Whitlam posted:

Morrissey and his manager have responded.

This is the funniest thing The Simpsons has done in years.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

donquixotic posted:

LORD PARMESAN!

PITT THE ACTOR!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
So I watched the latest episode, and it's mostly horrible.

However, I will say the song Everyone is Horrid Except Me (And Possibly You) is actually a pretty good Morrissey pistache. Bret from Flight of the Conchords was involved, so that helps. But I feel that it was overall good work in an otherwise dreadful episode.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That Rebecca Sugar comic was eye-meltingly ugly.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Seriously. Absolutely repulsive.
Terrible opinions. Go sit in the corner

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I love the way she drew that comic. I like that it's viscerally "ugly". I find that enjoyable.

Captain Star is so repulsive it gives me instant colic pains and it's perfect that way.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The best ever animated show was from the UK, and it was called Monkey Dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cemetry Gator posted:

So I watched the latest episode, and it's mostly horrible.

However, I will say the song Everyone is Horrid Except Me (And Possibly You) is actually a pretty good Morrissey pistache. Bret from Flight of the Conchords was involved, so that helps. But I feel that it was overall good work in an otherwise dreadful episode.

I love Morrissey pistachios, so fresh