Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/katierosman/status/1385220565351505920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ah, the old Wizards of the Coast move.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Just absolutely insane. Scott Rudin is a piece of poo poo.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ah, the old Wizards of the Coast move.

Oh no, what happened with WotC?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

remigious posted:

Oh no, what happened with WotC?

Someone accused a contributor to 5E, going by "Zak S," of serious sex pest stuff. Instead of doing something about it, the head of development forwarded all the information to Zak S, which allowed him to organize a harassment campaign, since there's no end of chuddy morons in the D&D community.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Someone accused a contributor to 5E, going by "Zak S," of serious sex pest stuff. Instead of doing something about it, the head of development forwarded all the information to Zak S, which allowed him to organize a harassment campaign, since there's no end of chuddy morons in the D&D community.

Oh. Is that Zak S, also known as Zak Smith, the sex creep who shat his pants outside the christian chicken place? (allegedly).

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh. Is that Zak S, also known as Zak Smith, the sex creep who shat his pants outside the christian chicken place? (allegedly).

At GenCon, yes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Desperado Bones posted:

The same pants making GBS threads rapist Zak S

edit: no allegedly i'm in the US, go gently caress yourself you rapist pants shitter

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

The head of development in question is Mike Mearls, who is apparently pals with Zak S as he brought him in as a special consultant for 5e. Mearls was siding with Zak right up until Zak's ex publically revealed he'd been abusing her while they were together, and then Mearls just stopped posting rather than admit what he did. He has had maybe one Twitter post in the last few years, but he's still some sort of major player at WotC even if they don't trot him out as much anymore.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

this the same zak s who sues people to make them write out retractions when they reveal his garbage?

like that would erase from public memory that he is a serial abuser and pants-shitter lmao

sue me ya dirtbag

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For reference, there is an SA goon who posts in trad games who was either one of Zak’s victims or was their partner/friend, and they shared their stories of Zak, and Zak’s lawyers issued something that references SomethingAwful.com, and for a while it was touch and go and you weren’t really supposed to discuss this poo poo on the forums because we didn’t want to cause any more trouble for the goon in question.

My understanding from over a year ago is that those legal complications are over/never mattered so now we can all freely regale one another with stories about how this sludge-gently caress creepy abuser poo poo his pants in a Chik-Fil-A (a story they strongly urge you not to tell)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Carthag Tuek posted:

this the same zak s who sues people to make them write out retractions when they reveal his garbage?

like that would erase from public memory that he is a serial abuser and pants-shitter lmao

sue me ya dirtbag

But the pants making GBS threads rapist only sues in countries that it's an easy victory in. Hence why Ettin had to make a post apologizing to the pants making GBS threads rapist.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Just absolutely insane. Scott Rudin is a piece of poo poo.

Scott Rudin is a disgrace and should not be allowed to work with humans.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Len posted:

But the pants making GBS threads rapist only sues in countries that it's an easy victory in. Hence why _______ had to make a post apologizing to the pants making GBS threads rapist.

lets not bring innocents into this

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

lets not bring innocents into this

The legally mandated apology thread is in the goldmine because of how hard we were dunking on Zak S, who it appears poo poo his pants in a Chik Fil A at Gencon.

Edit: pronoun repair .

Midjack fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 24, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really cannot stress how utterly insane it is that they were legally mandated to post.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I really cannot stress how utterly insane it is that they were legally mandated to post.

It's amazing because without that happening there's a very real chance that dozens of people on SA like me wouldn't be aware of the massive amount of evidence that points towards Zak S making GBS threads his pants at a Chik Fil A at Gencon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Midjack posted:

It's amazing because without that happening there's a very real chance that dozens of people on SA like me wouldn't be aware of the massive amount of evidence that points towards Zak S making GBS threads his pants at a Chik Fil A at Gencon.

Yeah, how has no one apparently ever heard of the Streisand effect?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Midjack posted:

It's amazing because without that happening there's a very real chance that dozens of people like me wouldn't be aware of the massive amount of evidence that points towards Zak S making GBS threads his pants at a Chik Fil A at Gencon.

Yeah I had no idea he was a pants making GBS threads rapist. Also I miss Mikan they were a solid poster from what I remember

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

What is it with shitheads and making GBS threads themselves at Chick-fil-A? Some girl that graduated from Kent State and made a big deal getting photographed with an AR also later poo poo herself there

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Aces High posted:

What is it with shitheads and making GBS threads themselves at Chick-fil-A? Some girl that graduated from Kent State and made a big deal getting photographed with an AR also later poo poo herself there

Probably something in the secret sauce.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Aces High posted:

I thought that was at a college party not a chicken joint?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Len posted:

I thought that was at a college party not a chicken joint?

Yeah, it was at a house party.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Tsilkani posted:

The head of development in question is Mike Mearls, who is apparently pals with Zak S as he brought him in as a special consultant for 5e. Mearls was siding with Zak right up until Zak's ex publically revealed he'd been abusing her while they were together, and then Mearls just stopped posting rather than admit what he did. He has had maybe one Twitter post in the last few years, but he's still some sort of major player at WotC even if they don't trot him out as much anymore.

WotC eventually wisened up somewhat and had Mike Mearls quietly shuffeled into the background. Of course that only meant that he now serves as the WotC liaison to Larian Studios for Baldur's Gate 3.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One of the World of Darkness devs quit when Zack S. was hired by Swedish Dracula to make a lovely phone game for them. Turns out they'd been a victim of one of Zack's harassment campaign (in fact they had received pictures of their child's school, something horrifying and psychopathic).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

(in fact they had received pictures of their child's school, something horrifying and psychopathic).

Jesus loving Christ. I don't have kids but I have cousins younger than me and if that happened at a job I worked I wouldn't quit, I would murder him.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The MtG division of WotC(which is basically the foundation of the company pre and post Hasbro acquisition) has been the same dozen white guys in the same dozen positions for over 20 years

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

oh word the company that published a bunch of art from actual neo nazis... is bad?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

inferis posted:

oh word the company that published a bunch of art from actual neo nazis... is bad?

Wizards of the Coast is the globe’s foremost consumer of fantasy art, it is essentially the fantasy artwork olympics, if you’re a talented fantasy artist it’s probably the cushiest job you could ask for. If a company employs literally thousands of fantasy artists, you can’t hold it against them if some of them aren’t upstanding moral citizens.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Wizards of the Coast is the globe’s foremost consumer of fantasy art, it is essentially the fantasy artwork olympics, if you’re a talented fantasy artist it’s probably the cushiest job you could ask for. If a company employs literally thousands of fantasy artists, you can’t hold it against them if some of them aren’t upstanding moral citizens.

Counterpoint (if this isn't sarcasm): yes, yes you loving can.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

inferis posted:

WotC is still a messed up company, but that invoke predjudice poo poo happened 25 years ago. Their current art is super progressive in terms of representation. They cut ties with artists who’ve been overtly CHUD-like. So maybe let that complaint go?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Crackbone posted:

WotC is still a messed up company, but that invoke predjudice poo poo happened 25 years ago. Their current art is super progressive in terms of representation. They cut ties with artists who’ve been overtly CHUD-like. So maybe let that complaint go?

Yeah this cancel culture is going too far, if people do stuff a long time ago it’s fine. Politicians who did blackface in 1996 are fine people.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

inferis posted:

Yeah this cancel culture is going too far, if people do stuff a long time ago it’s fine. Politicians who did blackface in 1996 are fine people.

Holy poo poo get some perspective or learn to read whole statements.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Crackbone posted:

They haven't removed his cards or even just provided alternate art for stuff where his art is the only one available on their digital platform. Also it's still literally all the same people who thought working with a guy who is an open neo-nazi was fine at the time running the show.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 25, 2021

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Terrible Opinions posted:

They haven't removed his cards or even just provided alternate art for stuff where his art is the only one available on their digital platform. Also it's still literally all the same people who thought working with a guy who is an open neo-nazi was fine at the time running the show.

The art director and team is the same today as 25 years ago?
It's a waste of time and looks kinda dumb trying to prove how WotC is racist over something that happened over two decades ago and hasn't been repeated (to my knowledge). Especially because in terms of current art they're way more inclusive than other companies in the gaming space.
WotC has a bunch of poo poo that needs to be corrected (like Zak S, their treament of "Pros", etc), so maybe focus your energy on that? Instead maybe talk about the lack of PoC in the current company?

EDIT: Dropping it, super not related to the thread topic.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 25, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Terrible Opinions posted:

They haven't removed his cards or even just provided alternate art for stuff where his art is the only one available on their digital platform.

They have removed his cards.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I haven’t played dnd for years so I don’t know much about that branch of WotC anymore, but as a mtg fan it really appears that WotC has been doing an honest push to have more representation in the art/lore and even fired several popular artists who were terfs or otherwise problematic. It sucks that there is still some shady poo poo going on there.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

They have removed his cards.

On top of that, any card that's not current set is not really a thing in organized tournament play anyway, doubly so if it's an obscure card from 25 years ago.

remigious posted:

I haven’t played dnd for years so I don’t know much about that branch of WotC anymore, but as a mtg fan it really appears that WotC has been doing an honest push to have more representation in the art/lore and even fired several popular artists who were terfs or otherwise problematic. It sucks that there is still some shady poo poo going on there.

MTG is the money maker for both WotC and gaming stores, and D&D is the little stepbrother. Pre-pandemic, six nights a week, game stores will run card game events, and one night a week will be devoted to D&D, and you'll be kicking out card game people to do it. More money generally means more attention to the product. MTG is better-managed than D&D on both a historical and current basis, and even then it's far from perfect.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

i dont know about any of this card poo poo but people trying to shut down compaints about it, from an outside perspective, seem sus as hell. If people have legitimate complaints about a company's lovely behavior in the 90s, who are you to try to tell people to let it go.

Anyway a perspective from a person who only knows about this poo poo from this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Rereading my post, I came across as way more glib than I intended. To be clear, WotC has earned all criticism that have been brought up and more besides.