Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

dog nougat posted:

In the sink under cold water. Just a dab of dish soap in the palm of your hand works well. There are also brush cleaning soaps as well. In general try to avoid soaking your bushes standing up, it can soften the glue and bend the bristles.

Edit: really any soap should work fine for brush cleaning, you just need to get the oil out of the brushes (linseed and painting oils over time will rot the fibers of the brushes, which is also why you need to prime oil painted canvases)

I'm sorry if I wasn't explicit, I meant rags - but sounds like regular soap in a bucket should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm sorry if I wasn't explicit, I meant rags - but sounds like regular soap in a bucket should be fine.

I cut up old clothes, underwear, etc for rags and throw them away.

Another trick I use is to have a block of scrap wood to scrap all my excess to dry on. The rags are only for getting as much oil paint from the brushes as I can out before I wash them in the sink.

Also because most paint pigments are insanely toxic and bad and have heavy metals in them - always try to get as much out as possible before you try washing them in a sink. Oil likes oil so one trick I learned in painting classes was to use vegetable oil to leach away oils into the rags before I wash them in the sink.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 25, 2021

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I got covid fat and have a lot of old clothes I can cut up. It was meant to be.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Bonus of using a scraping block. This is about 6 months worth of scrapings and it's like just a cool abstract now.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

Bonus of using a scraping block. This is about 6 months worth of scrapings and it's like just a cool abstract now.

It looks like goku

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It looks like goku

Holy poo poo yeah, what you've got there is a classic accidental Goku.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Even if you try washing your rags (which, don’t, just throw them away), do not put them in a dryer, you could burn your house down

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I have a wood panel piece, 12x12in, that I was invited to display at a show next week. I am unsure of how to prepare it to be hung (it's just on a shelf at my place right now). I'm kind of thinking superglue and wire, which I have on hand. I'm not sure if there's a better way to approach it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
At the risk of overthinking this, it depends on what they'll let you do to their wall. Do they have any hardware already in place -- screws, hook, etc?

For example, you can get something like one of these kits for not much money: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Picture-Hanging-Kit-10-Piece-80021/301993354

but that assumes you will be driving a nail into drywall. What if they won't let you, or if it's a brick wall?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Trabant posted:

At the risk of overthinking this, it depends on what they'll let you do to their wall. Do they have any hardware already in place -- screws, hook, etc?

For example, you can get something like one of these kits for not much money: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Picture-Hanging-Kit-10-Piece-80021/301993354

but that assumes you will be driving a nail into drywall. What if they won't let you, or if it's a brick wall?

Thank you for responding. I should have provided more detail. It's at museum and it's going to be in a space with rotating art so they usually have these walls designed for display, not wood or brick etc. Their instructions were basically "when you deliver your piece it needs to be display-ready including hanging mechanisms."

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Ah, gotcha. Then a wire sounds like it should work (I've made/mounted plenty of frames). The superglue... I don't know, I personally wouldn't trust it, mostly because I'd think it needs a decent surface area between the board and the wire.

My personal go-to for attaching the wire to the board would probably be something like those D-ring clips from the kit I linked. That assumes you're working with a thick enough board to allow for the screws though. If your board is too thin for screws but would allow small nails, maybe a sawtooth hanger to hang over a nail/screw in the wall? They're remarkably strong, at least in my experience:

-------------------------

Unrelated, a quick & dirty proof of a linocut (layer one of two). I tried to do some kind of shadow line between the dark and light areas of the wall, but it's too abrupt, too severe. I'll need to figure out how to create a smoother transition:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Trabant posted:

Ah, gotcha. Then a wire sounds like it should work (I've made/mounted plenty of frames). The superglue... I don't know, I personally wouldn't trust it, mostly because I'd think it needs a decent surface area between the board and the wire.

My personal go-to for attaching the wire to the board would probably be something like those D-ring clips from the kit I linked. That assumes you're working with a thick enough board to allow for the screws though. If your board is too thin for screws but would allow small nails, maybe a sawtooth hanger to hang over a nail/screw in the wall? They're remarkably strong, at least in my experience:

-------------------------

Unrelated, a quick & dirty proof of a linocut (layer one of two). I tried to do some kind of shadow line between the dark and light areas of the wall, but it's too abrupt, too severe. I'll need to figure out how to create a smoother transition:

About hanging stuff, a sawtooth will still run you the risk of the panel being slightly crooked (in my experience) and if you have the opportunity to screw something in, just screw in two eyes and pull a wire?

---------------------
Unrelated but that print is yummy!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks!

The shadow line is growing on me, although I still plan on softening it a bit somehow.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

self portrait lol

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

birb

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
gently caress yeah, both of those kick rear end.

Lino proof, part 2/2, which hopefully explains what I was going for with this whole thing:

And since I'm apparently only capable of printing over the weekends, hopefully I'll have a real-deal one in a week.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Trabant posted:

gently caress yeah, both of those kick rear end.

Lino proof, part 2/2, which hopefully explains what I was going for with this whole thing:

And since I'm apparently only capable of printing over the weekends, hopefully I'll have a real-deal one in a week.

I'm not wholly sure why but that super reminds me of Pink Floyd's The Wall and I am here for it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Huh! Yeah, a definite similarity in lettering style:

For what it's worth, that wasn't the inspiration but Edgar Allan Poe definitely was.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I did my first painting.

Oh come ON.

Great job.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Thank you for the suggestions. I did end up using a sawtooth and in hindsight it seems obvious. I did have to get a set with tiny nails since my wood isn't that thick. I was worried about straightness for the display but my partner is much better than me at leveling and they did an awesome job.

I'm such a scrub; I have dozens of paintings on display at my home but almost always just put tacks in the wall and put canvas over them. This is my third legit art show even; I guess I'm boogie and ratchet.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 3, 2021

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
I don't have any art to share at the moment but in the traditional art world, I'm a tad dismayed to see Peter Gric sharing transphobic memes and views on Facebook since I've been a big fan of his for some time :smith:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zoben posted:

I don't have any art to share at the moment but in the traditional art world, I'm a tad dismayed to see Peter Gric sharing transphobic memes and views on Facebook since I've been a big fan of his for some time :smith:

Always such a disappointment. Better to know, I guess.

Magpies! Done for my sister before she finally answered my message with 'oo one with three magpies would be great!' well TOO BAD you shoulda got back to me before I completed the sketch.

e: replaced with colour-corrected to look more like it looks IRL, dumb camera

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 8, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Quiet in here ain't it? Today I tried polymer clay for the first time and made a small Pikachu. He's about an inch and a half tall.

The colour difference between the clay and the touch-up paint is way less obvious to the eye than on camera. Was fun to do!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

A sketchy cyber flapper.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Quiet in here ain't it?

Many of us are in the goon art discord: https://discord.gg/25e2VpE
Lots of digital and few folk posting trad.

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
Two new speed paintings. How do I make the thumbnail expand to the full size ? The top one is full resolution. When I use [/timg] the thumnail expands like the bottom one..

DickButt Shitlord fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 10, 2021

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Painted another wall.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Chernabog posted:

Painted another wall.

Wow, cool! I love stylish wall art, you have good taste :kimchi:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks. My other wall paintings have been less "stylish" but I do think this probably works better for most indoor decorations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is this the place to post my acrylic paintings and ask for advice?

I'm trying to paint a dungeons and dragons map every week for my game, using reference maps which are in the pre made adventure book. I can post the reference image and my own work, I'm doing the third one now. I really do need some advice or guidance, I've never painted anything in my life and they're not coming out great. I'm being patient with myself, I plan to do one a week for probably the next year, but I'm sure I'll improve more with some feedback.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is this the place to post my acrylic paintings and ask for advice?

I'm trying to paint a dungeons and dragons map every week for my game, using reference maps which are in the pre made adventure book. I can post the reference image and my own work, I'm doing the third one now. I really do need some advice or guidance, I've never painted anything in my life and they're not coming out great. I'm being patient with myself, I plan to do one a week for probably the next year, but I'm sure I'll improve more with some feedback.

hell yeah. post the arts.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ok, here's the current map.

The first thing I'll say is I know the perspective is different; I sketched the northern and northeastern cliff sides first and I liked how they looked and decided I'd go with that flatter perspective vs the top down of the original. It took me  two or three hours to get this far and I can spend  another three or four hours on it before I need it done by Friday evening.

I'll gladly take any feedback, advice, or criticism, but for my own part here's what I think needs to be done and here's what I'm most worried about.

Things that aren’t done yet:
    *extend grassland out to edge
    *use white on cliff face to create some of the crags
    *paint more on the tents, they're very faint
    *paint tree trunks and repaint boughs
    *paint lettering, scale, compass arrow

Things I'm really struggling with in this painting:
    *how to distinguish the southern cliff top from the valley/dell. I've tried making the ground much darker on lower ground and much lighter on the top (I haven't finished blending it)?
    *how to make the tents legible. I was going to paint more layers of that off white onto them, and then try to paint in some details with a cooler tone?

Things I've been struggling with on all the paintings:
    *Blending colors generally; it's tremendously satisfying to mix the colors on my palate and see how they change as I add blue, or purple, or yellow, etc, but I'm really struggling to mix them consistently. Looking at the originally, even I can tell that the right half of the dell is more yellow, and the left half is more green, and I haven't recreated that at all. Also, the original has a lot less color in it generally?
    *I can't seem create any detail at all. I can sketch with a pencil a little, I'm not great but I'm certainly better than what's being represented in these paintings, and what tends to happen is I pencil in, say, the cliffs, and then when I start to paint them I lose all the line contours and I'm left with those flat shapes.
    * I think I'm not thinning the paints enough, both because of how they go onto the canvas and also because I just seem to "run out" of paint on my palate very quickly, but that second part could just be incorrect expectations on my part.

Phew, that took a lot longer than I thought it would; like I said before this is my third painting and it's much more of a landscape, whereas the first two where more abstract top down works so muddling through them created something at least discernable. My friends are very kind and they'll put up with any old thing I put in front of them, but this third painting is that first time that I'm forced to admit that they may literally not understand what they're looking at.

So, I've got all of this evening and then an maybe another hour or two between Wednesday and Thursday, and I'm going to do my best to absorb any advice or feedback I can get between now and then.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sorry for the double post, but after a few hours this evening it's a lot closer to being done, I'll probably stop here excepting any advice on things I should maybe focus on correcting/improving:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Pale Man from Pan's Labyrinth, watercolor on watercolor paper

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
^^^^ I feel like that painting would be terrifying in real life

Concept Art for videogame I want to make: Space Golf

DickButt Shitlord fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 2, 2021

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Sorry for the double post, but after a few hours this evening it's a lot closer to being done, I'll probably stop here excepting any advice on things I should maybe focus on correcting/improving:

No worries about the double post and before we dive into this all I would like to ask you how long you have been drawing and painting?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I "drew" as a kid up to middle school, twenty+ years ago. For the past, oof, few years now I've had unrealized aspirations of getting back into it, but it's not consistent. I've done most but not all of "drawing with the right side of the brain", some but not all of "The Drawing Database", a college instructor's YouTube channel. I should stress that ALL of that, as a kid and my intermittent adult efforts, have been pencil sketches, on the advice on this forum that that's where I should start regardless of where I want to end up, as a sort of foundation.

I've never painted anything besides walls and some bad warhammer figures as a kid. I started doing this because I'm running a premade campaign and it has maps in the book but there are no "hand outs" available for purchase. So, by rendering them all myself, I'll have a reason to produce maybe two or three paintings a month for a year or more.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Are you painting on paper that's specifically for acrylics or on standard paper, because it does make a difference.

Also, really neat idea, I might try it myself. I hope your players appreciate the effort you're making for them :)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's just a cheap pad from the local art store but yes its specifically for acrylic.

I'm having fun with it, the only real disappointment I've had so far is when I realized Bob Ross worked in "oil" so I couldn't try out one of his videos. Actually, can anyone recommend a "Bob Ross but acrylic" channel?

Also, I bought a starter set and feel like I want a smaller brush, am I blaming the tools and should I just keep working with what I have or should I go buy a smaller one if I feel I need it? I'm trying not to over spend on a new hobby and I don't trust my instinct regarding brush size, so maybe I just need to get more control over the ones I have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

You can probably still follow his tutorials and just adapt as you go. The main difference between oils and acrylics is how long they take to dry so with oils you can blend for (much) longer, and with acrylics you can paint more quickly if you don't want blends or if you are doing several layers.