Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Homura being a bad person is fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Like yeah we live in a world with the Rebuild movies so whatever but to me Rebellion "needed" a sequel about as much as End of Evangelion needed one too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As long as Shinbo is involved I am up for more Madoka things.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also Kalafina broke up so like, what is even the point

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's zero chance of Yuki Kaijura not working on it

.... who did the music for Magia Record?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think rebellion has earned them the benefit of the doubt on "does this really need a sequel"

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Sakurazuka posted:

There's zero chance of Yuki Kaijura not working on it

.... who did the music for Magia Record?
Takumi Ozawa. It's a pretty good soundtrack, but no Yuki Kajiura.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rip

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
It's been a few years, those creative enegies are recharged, I think there's a difference between deciding to continue a property after a break and just cranking out sequels one after another.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's been a few years, those creative enegies are recharged, I think there's a difference between deciding to continue a property after a break and just cranking out sequels one after another.
If that were the case how come there's been no Monogatari adaptations past Zoku-Owari? There's an Off-Season and Monster (College) Season now!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Grouchio posted:

If that were the case how come there's been no Monogatari adaptations past Zoku-Owari? There's an Off-Season and Monster (College) Season now!

My main point is that I don't really agree with the idea that "They shouldn't make sequels past X, because X was a good ending point", not that they should continue to make sequels but if they want to there's no reason why not if they feel motivated to do so. It isn't like a law of nature that means or suggests "sequels will continue to be made".

I don't know what Studio Shaft's situation is, maybe they're just busy or want to take a longer break from Gatari adaptions.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Madoka Rebellion finally getting a sequel movie is extremely cool and good.

Urobuchi back at the writer's chair is just icing on the cake.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Figured out how to make the dumb black boxes on Funimation's subs go away :toot:

I love this dumb dragon.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
I for one am very excited for more Madoka content :toot:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Raenir Salazar posted:

My main point is that I don't really agree with the idea that "They shouldn't make sequels past X, because X was a good ending point", not that they should continue to make sequels but if they want to there's no reason why not if they feel motivated to do so. It isn't like a law of nature that means or suggests "sequels will continue to be made".

I don't know what Studio Shaft's situation is, maybe they're just busy or want to take a longer break from Gatari adaptions.

Wait...is there more Gatari content to adapt? I thought Zoku Owari was more or less the end with the exception of maybe a couple short side stories.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Wait...is there more Gatari content to adapt? I thought Zoku Owari was more or less the end with the exception of maybe a couple short side stories.

Hahahaha you poor fool.

Nisioisin does not simply end Monogatari. Oh no.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Figured out how to make the dumb black boxes on Funimation's subs go away :toot:

I love this dumb dragon.

Tell me how....

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
People freaking out online about the Nagatoro anime translation continues to be funny. I know Twitter is bad but i find it amusing how badly people are reacting to the word “sus”

The funny thing is, someone Nagatoro’s age would 100% be using that word. Source: me, who has been student teaching for 6 weeks and heard teens say it pretty much every other day.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sakurazuka posted:

Tell me how....

PS4/5 app? Funi’s player is using the systems hard coded subs. Go into the subtitle settings of the system and change it there.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think there's something to be said about how memeing up your TL kinda dates it pretty hard. Going back and watching that in even like a year will be awful. I don't have strong feelings on it otherwise though.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Endorph posted:

this is possible but while rebellion was accepted because people thought there'd be asequel fairly soon, i doubt they could get away with making a sequel a decade later and then having it end on an extremely weird ambiguous note again
I dunno; I think the franchise has demonstrated a consistent willingness to do just that. Even the original series ended like that, with Homura, having sprouted black wings, grimly facing off against a giant hoard of unknown monsters. I'd call that an "ambiguous note", if not to the same extent as Rebellion, so it's possible the new Madoka will end similarly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Black Stones posted:

PS4/5 app? Funi’s player is using the systems hard coded subs. Go into the subtitle settings of the system and change it there.

Huh, cheers!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think there's something to be said about how memeing up your TL kinda dates it pretty hard. Going back and watching that in even like a year will be awful. I don't have strong feelings on it otherwise though.

The funny thing is we recognize it as a meme at the moment, but this meme is so low key that years from now it will just be “ah, short form of suspicious. Okay”

Now if you’re putting in Bill Clinton jokes and things, yeah, that’s gonna date your joke hard.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The use of sus as a word in AAVE and slang predates Among Us by years, plus the original line was also an extremely slang word.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It was less the use of sus and more some of the other lines I saw. Unless those were edits..I've fallen behind on the show. They seemed believable though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sus is the only vaguely meme-y thing I noticed

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

there's like eight volumes that haven't been adapted and more planned

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

Tell me how....

If you're using the app on the phone there's setting in the caption select

And then you can set the background color to none

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the thread melting down about it is probably the one that just railed on sus and scrub (in the context of losing at a game), which have both had longterm use and should be fine

when your counterpoint is stuff like the official manga tl's "acting really suspiciously" the argument does not feel strong

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It was less the use of sus and more some of the other lines I saw. Unless those were edits..I've fallen behind on the show. They seemed believable though.
the only two vague things i noticed are 'sus' and 'scrub', and scrub's been around forever.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Funi app also uses Roku's system subtitle settings. they're not as intricate as the settings shown above but you can remove the background, make the text larger, put an outline around the text, choose from a few fonts, etc

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

dogsicle posted:

the thread melting down about it is probably the one that just railed on sus and scrub (in the context of losing at a game), which have both had longterm use and should be fine

when your counterpoint is stuff like the official manga tl's "acting really suspiciously" the argument does not feel strong

I have no problem with a junior high/highschool girl using "sus" in an anime in this setting. I thing it's cool and good that translators and writers should continue to update their language as it evolves over time.

That said, I don't think I'd ever seen it used until Among Us became popular, so I wouldn't really call it in "long term use".

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just watched the 3rd episode of "I shaved and then brought a high school girl home." This series is one I was kinda on the fence about, due to it revolving around a pretty traumatized person, and I've gotta say this last episode really struck me in the worst way. It's one thing to have confrontations between mc and this girl where she is trying yet again to barter her body for her stay, which while disgusting is pretty much where she's at by this point of the series. It's another to have the anime just loving linger in on zooms over her lingerie'd tits and rear end repeatedly during this confrontation. It was disgusting. There have been plenty of other tone deaf adapations, but this one just irritated the hell out me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I have no problem with a junior high/highschool girl using "sus" in an anime in this setting. I thing it's cool and good that translators and writers should continue to update their language as it evolves over time.

That said, I don't think I'd ever seen it used until Among Us became popular, so I wouldn't really call it in "long term use".

it's something i was not consciously aware of until the amongus blowup as well, but when having the discussion in a discord someone actually searched back sus and a bunch of us had used it on occasion years before the game even existed. so it's been interesting how the game has warped perception, definitely to increasing degrees based on proximity to the memes and such.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
my fav meme translation was when the kaguya scanlators replaced an obscure japanese online meme with a variation of the rick & morty reddit post

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nagatoro seems to have some accuracy issues

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Death to amerikkka

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

dogsicle posted:

The thread also very quickly went to some pretty racist places so gently caress that guy anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

The thread also very quickly went to some pretty racist places so gently caress that guy anyway.

hes currently on a 5 hour rant about how trans women should all die so

also the word 'sus' isnt even a phrase the game among us uses anywhere in its actual gameplay, so to me its pretty blatantly obvious that its a word that existed before among us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Shinjobi posted:

I just watched the 3rd episode of "I shaved and then brought a high school girl home." ...
Yeah that was kinda gross to me too. I really like the series I think but the camera was just gross.