Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

BEADS? :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

Some india stuff from when I lived there.

India has no reliable highway infrastructure. Literal armed gangs patrol the highways like something out of mad Max. They’re also not all season and wash out during the rainy season, which is different in every part of the country. I remember the highway from Hyderabad to the airport like 20 miles away had cops just driving in loops to scare off looters. So quickly moving resources around the country is going to be a nightmare.

They also don’t have a lot of refrigerated trucks. Everything that needs to be cold is done locally, or used specifically for beef exports or whatever. The most popular beer is kingfisher, it’s bottled in Chenai, and they put nitroglycerin in it to keep it from going bad during transport. You don’t even know what a hangover is until you go to an Indian chili’s and get drunk off kingfisher while watching two year old WWE reruns.

On top of that, it’s expected that anyone in the hospital has one or several family members with them at all times. For some people there’s a religious element, for most it’s just common sense because the public hospitals are so bad you need someone there to make sure no one takes your pants or whatever. I was in a private hospital and they didn’t give me a choice whether I was staying with my gf at the time or not. There weren’t visiting hours.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the families are insisting they stay with the families in the Covid wards. That’s just going to increase increase infection.

And even in, for example, the nicest private hospital in Hyderabad there just isn’t a concept of isolation or privacy. Like I remember meeting my gf in PACU (I was just allowed to walk in) and all the equipment was very nice, but the beds were literally rail to rail.

And from a health perspective india was already a disaster. A quarter of all men smoke, 15% of all women, and the obesity rate could be as high as 36%.

Luckily if any country in the world can poo poo out enough drugs to combat this it’s india. I’m just worried thr structural problems are going to be too damaging before they can spool that up.

Sounds like everything will be fine, then. Carry on.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Netflix doc Pandemic from early 2020 (lol) had a segment on a flu epidemic in India. Didn't seem great!

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Surgeon_General/status/1386386948881793029?s=19

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
In before that variant hits the US and people complain we helped at all

mystes
May 31, 2006

brugroffil posted:

The Netflix doc Pandemic from early 2020 (lol) had a segment on a flu epidemic in India. Didn't seem great!
Maybe they've improved in the intervening 30 years since it was made.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/zunguzungu/status/1386381629988360195

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

Both horrifying and hilarious that a solid 1/3 of America will pass on a vaccine for something that has killed 600k of them at a minimum, and probably more like 750k in reality.

This is like passing on a heart attack or cancer vaccine :hmbol:

maybe that'd be a good comparison if heart attacks and/or cancer were over

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/OvigweEguegu/status/1384423729057386496?s=19

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Lol the last bullet point might as well have said dr. Mengele and the SS.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1386388814038507522?s=19

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

Both horrifying and hilarious that a solid 1/3 of America will pass on a vaccine for something that has killed 600k of them at a minimum, and probably more like 750k in reality.

This is like passing on a heart attack or cancer vaccine :hmbol:

Americans literally ignore medications to prevent heart attacks or strokes every day. Even meds they’ve been prescribed!

“I stopped taking my statins a year ago because they made me feel funny. And I just don’t like taking pills.”

Or the guy with black feet who swears he takes all his diabetes meds but his A1c is over ten.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

“1.5% of Americans have missed second dose” wouldn’t have been doomer enough

This is all the fault of those irresponsible Americans and their personal choices!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My boomer father missed his second dose because he had a golf tournament in clemson the next day and didn’t want to feel crappy.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

FizFashizzle posted:

Americans literally ignore medications to prevent heart attacks or strokes every day. Even meds they’ve been prescribed!

“I stopped taking my statins a year ago because they made me feel funny. And I just don’t like taking pills.”

Or the guy with black feet who swears he takes all his diabetes meds but his A1c is over ten.

i put my diabetes meds in a krispy kreme donut. it goes down easier. and sometimes it makes me get a whole dozen pills in at a time. is that a bad idea?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

FizFashizzle posted:

My boomer father missed his second dose because he had a golf tournament in clemson the next day and didn’t want to feel crappy.

Dabo-ishly: Football Golf Matters

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

so what the hell has the flu been up to? just hanging out in the usual zoological suspects soaking up UI and getting stoned? like i haven't heard of anyone in my sphere having a legitimate case of ye olde grippe since the early coronacene epoch of the tormpozoic era. to be sure, there were those who "just had the flu" when they fell ill amidst a covid case trajectory possessing galactic escape velocity, and i commend them for producing the most audaciously dubious claim i've seen that didn't involve ancient aliens.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Bolsonaro has those prions

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

crispyseaweed posted:

Check out the lib-splaining in the replies about how India doesn't need the already made AZ vaccine that America could send. Or that Biden's hands are sadly tied by the ghost of Trump.

https://twitter.com/We_Just_Did2020/status/1386379241332248576

Psychotic

https://twitter.com/We_Just_Did2020/status/1386380911021727745

liberals are the real racists

also conservatives

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

VectorSigma posted:

so what the hell has the flu been up to? just hanging out in the usual zoological suspects soaking up UI and getting stoned? like i haven't heard of anyone in my sphere having a legitimate case of ye olde grippe since the early coronacene epoch of the tormpozoic era. to be sure, there were those who "just had the flu" when they fell ill amidst a covid case trajectory possessing galactic escape velocity, and i commend them for producing the most audaciously dubious claim i've seen that didn't involve ancient aliens.

my understanding is that the masking plus the security theater around covid, while completely worthless for stopping covid, has actually knocked the flu out. It's the lowest numbers it's ever been

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

I wonder if some of this is people just not going to the same place they got the first. Since there is no national registry I guess we’ll never know lol.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

they're the same

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Bolsonaro has those prions

Did he get them from :coronatoot: or when he got concussed by slipping the shower? :thunk:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lol imagine if we successfully eradicated the flu just to replace it with something even worse

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

a.lo posted:

they're the same

yeah but you have to make the point or else all the libs that infest cspam go "OH YOU LOVE TRUMP THEN?"

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

my understanding is that the masking plus the security theater around covid, while completely worthless for stopping covid, has actually knocked the flu out. It's the lowest numbers it's ever been

it wasnt completely worthless. masking and restrictions most definitely pushed the r0 of covid from 3-5 down into the 1.x range. the flu has a 1.x r0 without restrictions and masking, so with those in place we pushed it into the 0.x range—enough to cause the flu to just burn out in most places.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Grapplejack posted:

oh i get that, but what's it been doing? has it learned any new skills? it should be taking this opportunity to improve itself and remain productive.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

also we'd have to kill all the animals if we wanted to eradicate the flu, and i'm happy to report that project is well underway

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

VectorSigma posted:

oh i get that, but what's it been doing? has it learned any new skills? it should be taking this opportunity to improve itself and remain productive.

Probably hanging out in some animal reservoirs, chilling

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Apparently the context for this is that it seems to be from some fascist TV show celebrating the death of suspects who "died" (killed by police/militias/death squads, I presume). Which is not better in any way... I haven't found any English sources for information, but that's what a lot of the twitter replies seem to be saying and there's a "CPF Cancelado" youtube channel.

Stickman has issued a correction as of 20:11 on Apr 25, 2021

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Uh Shiva, whose name is THE DESTROYER? Checkmate, lib, you have to feel stupid now :smug:

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah but you have to make the point or else all the libs that infest cspam go "OH YOU LOVE TRUMP THEN?"

One benefit of the rest of the world collapsing from COVID is MadJackal and crew noticeably shutting the gently caress up about how everything’s safe now

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

If only something could be done to prevent this

https://twitter.com/VancouverSun/status/1386366833683480580?s=19

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol:

3 weeks ago I had to wait in line for 30 minutes to get my scheduled vax.

Today, I popped in early to wait in line and register at the 15 minute mark. No line, one other person got a vax before me. I talked to the pharmacist to register early, and it looks like I'll be outta here before my scheduled slut juice time.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Death By The Blues posted:

Yogi a major Hindu supremacist, BJP stooge. and basically governor of Uttar Pradesh (the largest state in India), wants to seize property of people who spread "oxygen shortage rumours"

https://twitter.com/kapsology/status/1386186776155361281

[COVID19] The poo poo is touching the roof day by day

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Clearly being lazy and staying home from work causes coronavirus. I'm an economist.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

MorrisBae posted:

One benefit of the rest of the world collapsing from COVID is MadJackal and crew noticeably shutting the gently caress up about how everything’s safe now

its americans. no one here gives a gently caress about covid bc we got the good vaccines, even “leftists” who act like they care about other human beings—all within the context that covid this year (worldwide) will be magnitudes worse than it was last year.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

FizFashizzle posted:

lol he had 4 weeks to plan for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

MorrisBae posted:

Cowards

Worthless