Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Astro7x posted:

It seems like they have this tournament and the bad guys have to win 10 of them for some reason. But they also cheat by coming to earth and just killing off the competitors before the tournament.
It's something I don't understand about the MK lore. Outworld has to win 10 tournaments in a row to conquer Earthrealm. If Earthrealm wins 10 tournaments in a row, do they win anything? Anyway, they threw out the tournament format in MK3 when Shao Kahn decided to just invade. I don't know why he couldn't have done that before.

quote:

That’s the weird thing. Winning the tournament to save earth wasn’t even a concern for the good guys. Their whole motivation was “you’re being hunted, kill them before they kill you”
Yeah, the plot of this movie is just stopping the baddies from assassinating Earth's fighters before the tournament even begins. The MCU was very successful at conditioning audiences to buy movies that don't actually function as self-contained stories, with the promise that the next movie will make sense of everything.

I enjoyed the movie. I was just watching it for the action sequences. They could have easily written out this character that nobody likes, is all I'm saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I wonder if Liu Kang selling himself as a much better main protagonist with a much better backstory in an offhand moment of exposition was added by the last guy to work on the script.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

It’s too bad Cole ended up being a little too unimportant/generic, but given the character was studio-mandated I wonder if the writers could only do so much with him.

Hearing the fights are edited choppy almost makes me want to not bother sitting through the film and hope we get a directors/extended cut later with more focus on those. The fights were what I was most interested in since there’s a lot of talent there and it’s frustrating to learn it’s wasted in editing.

Kano is an utter bastard of a character (especially in 11) so I’m glad to hear Lawson did so well. May just wait for a super cut of his parts.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Just give me a Kano/Kabal buddy flick

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just give me a Kano/Kabal buddy flick

ugh Kabal was terrible

Here's every line he says: "gently caress you motherfucker rear end in a top hat bitch, loving fucker rear end in a top hat bastard gently caress"

It's like a kid writing as many fucks as he can get away with and giggling because he thinks it's funny and/or adult when in actuality it's just really bad dialogue.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Hearing the fights are edited choppy almost makes me want to not bother sitting through the film and hope we get a directors/extended cut later with more focus on those. The fights were what I was most interested in since there’s a lot of talent there and it’s frustrating to learn it’s wasted in editing.

It's seriously frustrating that there are two showcase fights between Hiroyuki Sanada and Joe Taslim and both of them are just chopped all to hell.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Codependent Poster posted:

ugh Kabal was terrible

Here's every line he says: "gently caress you motherfucker rear end in a top hat bitch, loving fucker rear end in a top hat bastard gently caress"

It's like a kid writing as many fucks as he can get away with and giggling because he thinks it's funny and/or adult when in actuality it's just really bad dialogue.

He's basically the narrator from that parody AFSCME promo and it is funny

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3mw49mk_x0

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

ugh Kabal was terrible

Seems true to the source material.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I was so disappointed with this movie. Probably my own fault for being so hyped for it.

:(

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Azubah posted:

Shouldn't Cole's daughter have the dragon mark since she's the most recent descendant?

I know, silly MK movie I shouldn't think too hard about.

With the way they insisted on having multiple major fights with the whole family present. I was starting to expect that would be the twist. Main character would be getting the poo poo kicked out of him and she'd save the day. Didn't realize the actress was as young as she is, though.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Watching the MK Legends- Scorpion's Revenge right now, and this is what the live action movie should have been. Why does WB do this so often, have a great animated movie then totally gently caress up the live-action ones?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ugh Kabal was terrible

All I could imagine was that it was somehow Jay under the mask.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X6mll8rgDSI&t=08

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

It’s too bad Cole ended up being a little too unimportant/generic, but given the character was studio-mandated I wonder if the writers could only do so much with him.

Kano is an utter bastard of a character (especially in 11) so I’m glad to hear Lawson did so well. May just wait for a super cut of his parts.

They edited all the action sequences in accordance with the Marvel formula, just with added gore.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The opening was so good that I think it could stand alone as it’s own short film. It’s almost like it was written by completely different people.

The horror movie elements with Sub Zero were also really cool, just really underutilized.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just sat down to watch it, it was... almost good? The pieces were there and you can tell the love for Mortal Kombat was there too, but it's easy to see a lot of sloppy editing that is probably emblematic of the movie being hosed with, and studio interference. I'll read up on that later, just putting my thoughts down for now.

I'm assuming the reason for the dragon marks and the emphasis on everyone having to 'discover their powers' was studio-mandated to make the film more Marvel-like. That sucked.

Cole Young was incredibly boring and all the Outworld stuff dangerously veered into Power Rangers territory, which reminded me of MK Annihilation. Shang Tsung, a very hard act to follow, was terrible. It was loving weird how the movie built up the concept of Mortal Kombat, the tournament, and then never actually got there. Lots of very weird character pulls too (Nitara, Reiko?) but I guess that's fine when they were mainly there to die. Goro looked great but was totally wasted since the movie never actually got to the tournament. Funny how the first MK Movie did all that so much better.

I liked Liu Kang and Kung Lao, Kano was great and well utilized, Sub-Zero was cool when he wasn't talking, basically the opening and closing of the movie were great and all the stuff inbetween, entertaining but weak. Enjoyed when they suddenly started cutting loose with the gore.

Depressing that MK movies keep going back to the childish "we have to learn to work together" plot instead of just weaving thee individual character stories through each other.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 25, 2021

Violator
May 15, 2003

I forget the exact circumstances, but my favorite Kano quote was when he got stabbed in the leg and yelled out “Ah gently caress! It’s like poetry!”

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Violator posted:

I forget the exact circumstances, but my favorite Kano quote was when he got stabbed in the leg and yelled out “Ah gently caress! It’s like poetry!”
I think the poetry was the fact that it was his own knife. But yeah that was a good one.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DorianGravy posted:

Thinking about it more, the movie felt a bit empty to me because most of the characters didn't have much motivation or character growth. Let's compare character arcs between MK95 and the new one:

MK95
Liu Kang: Wants to avenge his brother -> Avenges his brother (and learns to respect his elders along the way)
Sonya Blade: Wants to stop Kano -> Stops Kano
Johnny Cage: Wants to show that he's not a washed-up fraud -> Shows that he's still got it (to himself at least)

MK21
Cole: Wants to protect his family, I guess. However, they're only really in danger because of him.
Sonya: ???
Jax: ???

Sonya: Wants to help, but is constantly told to gently caress off for not being part of the cool kids' table. Sticks to her guns and proves she isn't a liability by taking out the guy who squandered his chance to mean something.

Which honestly, is a great response to her treatment in MK95's third act.

Jax: Considers himself absolutely worthless, but keeps fighting thanks to Sonya's determination and it miraculously pays off in the silliest way.

Watching the movie a second time, I do kind of appreciate Cole's power reveal. They establish that he used to be a great fighter, but got mentally lazy and went from being well-rounded to graduating the Rocky Balboa school of fighting by being all offense and zero defense. So of course his special power is a suit of armor to make up for it.

Also, as a long time MK fan, I don't mind Cole too much because the MK series has been trying to push Liu Kang aside as protagonist for years and there are far worse attempts than Cole. Cole is head and shoulders above guys like Shujinko and Taven.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
His power is plot armor.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cole was pretty lame as a character, particularly when Liu Kang was right there being more charismatic and interesting with way less screen time.

I also thought his family were both sisters to that kiss sent me for a loving loop. He didn't seem old enough to be the parent of a teenager and there was a kind of resemblance with the other actress..

The movie would be stronger if Cole was just removed and they'd focused on Liu Kang and Kung Lao being bros and rounding up the other heroes.

The fights were also weirdly short, but I guess that might be because I see Joe Taslim and expect a twenty minute ordeal.

The movie did a rad job of making Sub Zero seem scary, his ice powers affecting the environment and causing hail and snow was a great idea.

Kano finally represented my culture accurately on screen.

Overall the movie was dumb as gently caress, but I saw it for free. It's hard to hate a movie that centres itself around a Ninja being too pissed off to stay in hell and chooses to neither foreshadow, or explain it at all.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What are the odds that they put Cole in the next MK game?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm only vaguely familiar with the games but it seems like they'll basically let anyone in.

There's a neat inteview with Tan here:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-04-24/mortal-kombat-star-lewis-tan-asian-cast

I think the choice to have an asian-led MK movie is very solid, the execution was just a bit goofy. I don't know why he couldn't have just been Johnny Cage. Again, vaguely familiar with the games, but is the Cage character defined in any way that would preclude him from being played by Tan?

well why not fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 25, 2021

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

As Nero Danced posted:

Watching the MK Legends- Scorpion's Revenge right now, and this is what the live action movie should have been. Why does WB do this so often, have a great animated movie then totally gently caress up the live-action ones?

I always assumed it’s because the animated stuff isn’t prestigious enough for the executives to insist on interfering with their own creative decisions and the directors aren’t big enough names to start getting super high on their own supply and come up with genius ideas like making the film 4:3 because superheroes are “vertical”.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

well why not posted:

I'm only vaguely familiar with the games but it seems like they'll basically let anyone in.

There's a neat inteview with Tan here:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-04-24/mortal-kombat-star-lewis-tan-asian-cast

I think the choice to have an asian-led MK movie is very solid, the execution was just a bit goofy. I don't know why he couldn't have just been Johnny Cage. Again, vaguely familiar with the games, but is the Cage character defined in any way that would preclude him from being played by Tan?

Based on his performance in this movie, I don't think Tan has the charisma for Johnny Cage.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Wow so that Liu Kang guy just has the absolute worst line readings, weird pauses all over the place. And Kung Lao saying "flawless victory" - yeesh, the whole point is that the omniscient commentator says that, you don't say it about yourself or you look like a goober.

Everyone just looks and sounds like they're doing MK cosplay or something (including the guy who didn't want to get left out but hasn't ever played an MK game and decided to come as "uh, 'Cole', yeah, he's uh, an MMA guy with ....tonfas?"), apart from Kano. But even then Kano is mostly funny because everyone else seems to be playing it bolt straight while he's going around making comments like "laser beams, gently caress yeah" and "lmao, tiny robot arms"; I think in a different, better film Kano would probably not be so endearing. Reptile and Goro were embarrrassing CGI messes.

Literally everything great about MK 95 is shat upon here: awful Liu Kang, terrible Reptile and Goro, bland Shang Tsung (how do you make Shang Tsung so boring, drat), forgettable orchestral music (two of the standout moments in the original are related to the music, the title card and "REPTILE - cue techno"). It almost feels like they went out of their way to make a downgrade.

People are saying that the intro was amazing and the rest of the film didn't live up to it, there wasn't even anything particularly good about the intro; the fight choreography just isn't on a par with any good martial arts movie. If you like Joe Taslim and you want martial arts + gore, just watch The Night Comes For Us.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Neurolimal posted:

Just to reiterate, MK's 9/10/11 are not only really fun stories with a lot of content, but the first time the series has had a competent fighting game system (some people dont like how projectile-y pro MK9 is though).

Absolutely recommend playing them.
For those who want to catch up with the games, but have at least some familiarity with MK1-3, you can really start at MKX. Most of the campaign takes place 20ish years later, so it's a fresh entry point and still retains the nostalgia. The writing in the series didn't start getting really good until then.

MK9, while pretty fun, still kind of requires some knowledge of Armageddon, has the same general beats as 1-3, was already semi-retconned anyway, and its aesthetic and graphics haven't aged well (2011 giant rack Sonya is especially cringe design). If you just want to jump in as a lapsed fan, go for MKX & MK11, or MKXL & MK11 Ultimate for all the extras, which is a whole extra campaign over the base game.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

boop the snoot posted:

His power is plot armor.

...oh god drat it

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

sticklefifer posted:

(2011 giant rack Sonya is especially cringe design).

Surely you’re overreacting, it can’t be that bad.

I looked. It is that bad.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

AlternateAccount posted:

Surely you’re overreacting, it can’t be that bad.

I looked. It is that bad.

The worst part is that she’s still the most appropriately clothed female character in that game. All three of the lady ninjas were wearing thong armor (four counting Skarlet, who was DLC) and Sheeva was wearing a fuckin’ Borat swimsuit. Sindel’s isn’t as bad but hers still looks like a purple early-90s Madonna getup.

Rabelais D posted:

And Kung Lao saying "flawless victory" - yeesh, the whole point is that the omniscient commentator says that, you don't say it about yourself or you look like a goober.

I’ll defend this: Kung Lao is a goober, one with an ego the size of the moon. Him getting off a “flawless victory” after winning a fight where he really doesn’t get touched is actually one place where this movie is undoubtedly better than the ‘95 one because it’s said twice in that one and both times the winner still got the poo poo kicked out off them.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh, and while I really apreciated that they made Raiden an rear end in a top hat again, the actor's accent was so heavy I had serious difficulty understanding him. I would've been totally cool with him just speaking Japanese and being subtitled.

Though that had its own occasional issues; while the thing in the intro with Bi-han switching between Chinese and Japanese was neat, it doesn't work so well if you can't tell the difference and have to rely on looking at the subtitles for it. Also, since it wasn't established if Cole speaks Japanese, I felt like Scorpion speaking to him kind of fell on deaf ears.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The movie would’ve been elevated by dropping the credits music in when Scorpion showed up, and Skrillex’s Reptile when he showed up. I don’t know why they couldn’t get that Reptile track. It’s custom made for this.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

No idea why they couldn't just make him a Stryker analogue. If there's going to be some random bloke in the film at least let him sling machine guns around while everyone else is fighting with throwing stars and kunai.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

If he was mandated by the studio, they may have wanted to be able to sideline him in sequels without ruining somebody's favorite character.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Gnoman posted:

If he was mandated by the studio, they may have wanted to be able to sideline him in sequels without ruining somebody's favorite character.

That's fair but consider also: Stryker isn't anyone's favourite character. :newlol:

(Just kidding, Stryker fans)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Tbf not having a cop protagonist is probably one of their better ideas

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

JordanKai posted:

That's fair but consider also: Stryker isn't anyone's favourite character. :newlol:

(Just kidding, Stryker fans)

ACAB doesn't stop just because the guy's fictional

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Tbf not having a cop protagonist is probably one of their better ideas

DC Murderverse posted:

ACAB doesn't stop just because the guy's fictional

:hai:

All the more reason to let Cole shoot guns instead of him.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
This movie was Walmart bargain bin bad. It feels right at home with poo poo like Dragon Ball Evolution. Just cheap cynical poo poo the studio was too embarrassed to actually put some serious production and talent behind because they felt some half assed compulsion to release something based off this IP for no reason other than brand recognition guaranteeing an ROI if they didnt spend too much or invest too heavily in the franchise.

Every single thing from the casting, writing to the production and costume design was absolutely abysmal.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Every single thing from the casting, writing to the production and costume design was absolutely abysmal.

While I agree with you that this movie was extremely frustrating, I found the casting to be very good with the exception of Cole Young. But I honestly think that was a garbage character that Lewis Tan had almost nothing to work with.

The more I've thought about the film the less charitable I feel about it. We didn't get Johnny Cage, the fights were in mostly very dull locations, the superhero angle was silly and unnecessary. Hmmmph. I really hope they do better next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like Cole fills the MKX role of new generation fighter fairly well. Throwing in any of the others like Jacqui or Kung Jin (and obviously not Cassie) before introducing their predecessors wouldn't make much sense, but making the new character Scorpion's descendent is fine. He just should've been a lot more like Scorpion.

When he grew the tonfas I thought they were going to take it in a direction that he can shapeshift his body armor into whatever offensive or defensive shape he wants, which would be pretty cool honestly, but they're either saving him mastering his power for another movie or they decided to stop at Black Panther Lite.