Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
An inferiority complex is perhaps the most ugly thing of all.

I say perhaps because goddamn if Fuhrer Ugly's horrific approach to violence isn't giving it a run for its money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
From everything we've been left to believe in this story so far, Fuhrer Ugly has to be a complete chump against Darkshine, right? I would love to see FU break his fist against Darkshine trying to do one of his ______-caving punches...

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Darkshine's body is impenetrable, not uncrushable.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Darkshines spirit has been broken, he's useless right now

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Plek posted:

Darkshine's body is impenetrable, not uncrushable.

Penetration are crushing are the same sort of forces, the only difference is that the former is concentrated in a smaller area (and thus is stronger). Someone who's strong against a blade stabbing them will be strong against a hammer hitting them with the same force.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

Don't count our boy out. Last time we saw him was him doing this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/ctVy8N7jdCJVg6dx9

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

skaianDestiny posted:

Penetration are crushing are the same sort of forces, the only difference is that the former is concentrated in a smaller area (and thus is stronger). Someone who's strong against a blade stabbing them will be strong against a hammer hitting them with the same force.

You can smash a cinder block with a hammer, but good luck smashing a yoga ball.
You can cut up a yoga ball with a knife, but good luck cutting up a cinder block.
Dark Shine might have impenetrable skin or whatever, but that doesn't mean his bones are immune to becoming jelly.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

CannonFodder posted:

I read the webcomic years ago and I don't remember anything close to this. I don't even remember the existence of the guy throwing the body crushing punches.

well, Fuhrer Ugly's combat performance was a bit different in the original webcomic.

Murata is an amazing artist but I really wish he and One would spend more time doing gags with Saitama. There's been a lot of fight scenes between the S-class heroes and the Monster Association over the past three years. The fight scenes are well drawn and well composed, but... Saitama is funny and the S-class guys are not.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No you get exactly one gag a year and youll like it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

well, Fuhrer Ugly's combat performance was a bit different in the original webcomic.

Murata is an amazing artist but I really wish he and One would spend more time doing gags with Saitama. There's been a lot of fight scenes between the S-class heroes and the Monster Association over the past three years. The fight scenes are well drawn and well composed, but... Saitama is funny and the S-class guys are not.

Are you insulting King, the WORLD'S STRONGEST MAN?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I feel like Murata's art sometimes undercuts things that might've been funny if they were drawn some other way. Like, there is something funny about a man's face getting punched flat and then him getting torn in half.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

You can smash a cinder block with a hammer, but good luck smashing a yoga ball.
You can cut up a yoga ball with a knife, but good luck cutting up a cinder block.
Dark Shine might have impenetrable skin or whatever, but that doesn't mean his bones are immune to becoming jelly.

I mean we've seen the kind of insane weights he can lift seemingly with ease like when he was still a C-class hero standing in a room with 15 times the normal gravity. He wasn't phased so I don't think Fuhrer specifically has enough brute force to break those bones the way he did TTM.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
darkshine is unquestionably superhuman, but unfortunately so is everyone and everything else.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
For all the comments about how the redraw is less funny than the manga I think the trade off is worth it for such beautifully emotive moments.
Genos learning one of the most important lessons from Saitama and putting it into practice, everything between Fubuki and Tats and the visceral nastiness of Ugly. Given what OPM usually is the beat down in the later half is really unsettling to see.

God drat, I love OPM.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ugly's punches are clearly more than brute-strength, they come from a desire to destroy beautiful things. Those with pride in their apperance like Sweet Mask, Tanktop and Darkshine are most vulnerable, as they know they have the most to lose.

Pig God could probably take them much easier. Saitama would be immune, as he's sensitive about his lack of hair, and there's no way to punch that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

It’s a shame too cause some of the visual gags they’re new in the Murata version have been top-tier.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Skippy McPants posted:

It’s a shame too cause some of the visual gags they’re new in the Murata version have been top-tier.

Saitama going back for the bag of gold was the best.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
the manga has given us manako and that alone is enough to justify its existence

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

This manga has boiled down to 95% fights with 5% gags. It's supposed to be a comedy manga but they've been playing it straight for like, four goddamn years in a row, so it has morphed into a standard Shounen battle manga with top-shelf art. And I don't know how to feel about that!

Can't really win in debates with the fans over this. Judge it as a Shounen and suddenly you're 'reading too hard into it/please ignore the four straight years of hardcore action and straight-faced plot delivery'; judge it as a comedy manga and point out that, hey, there is a looooooong absence of jokes for this supposed comedy manga, only to get shellacked by the fans again for cramping Murata's bitchin' action scenes and you need to chill out man!

Can't play both sides of the fence here ONE; focus on a primary story tone and commit to it already with the other aspect as your side dish.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i'm fine with sitting on the fence

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Parrotine posted:

This manga has boiled down to 95% fights with 5% gags. It's supposed to be a comedy manga but they've been playing it straight for like, four goddamn years in a row, so it has morphed into a standard Shounen battle manga with top-shelf art. And I don't know how to feel about that!

Can't play both sides of the fence here ONE; focus on a primary story tone and commit to it already with the other aspect as your side dish.

I disagree. There have been jokes and gags a plenty, but a lot of the jokes are specifically the seriousness with which many of the heroes and villains are portrayed to then contrast with Saitama. Ridiculousness can be funny and Muratas version ups the ridiculousness of the S class considerably.

I am out now but let me go and look at some of the recent chapters and grab examples but I think stretching the fights out multiple chapters does make it seem a lot less gaggy, despite there usually being some fun stuff.

OPM Murata version has 3 strong features:

sincere hero work (like blizzard helping Geno's)
gags (usually saitama related but not always)
badass fights

ONE is more like gags and badass fights because the fights were generally like 1 panel

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

The Spirit-Caving Punch...!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jerkface posted:

I disagree. There have been jokes and gags a plenty, but a lot of the jokes are specifically the seriousness with which many of the heroes and villains are portrayed to then contrast with Saitama. Ridiculousness can be funny and Muratas version ups the ridiculousness of the S class considerably.

I am out now but let me go and look at some of the recent chapters and grab examples but I think stretching the fights out multiple chapters does make it seem a lot less gaggy, despite there usually being some fun stuff.

badass fights

ONE is more like gags and badass fights because the fights were generally like 1 panel

It's because people still haven't figured out that this is Dragon Ball Z and not Dragon Ball somehow.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
The ratio of gags to serious action is already on par with other serious shounen like Bleach and One Piece, imo.
I still feel like the story and characters etc are all still good enough to keep me reading, but I do miss the gags. I guess you can only do so much with the premise before it gets pretty repetitive though.
I would prefer to be done with this arc though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jerkface posted:

badass fights

"Sincere hero work" is an interesting one because a big part of the webcomic version is how the heroes mostly suck at being heroic (and how that's a problem). It's perhaps the single most noticeable thematic difference between versions.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I don't like the sincerity angle of the manga, I get what it's trying to go for but thr thing that hooked me about the webcomic is that it dispenses with that Shonen fodder

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Elfface posted:

Ugly's punches are clearly more than brute-strength, they come from a desire to destroy beautiful things. Those with pride in their apperance like Sweet Mask, Tanktop and Darkshine are most vulnerable, as they know they have the most to lose.

Pig God could probably take them much easier. Saitama would be immune, as he's sensitive about his lack of hair, and there's no way to punch that.

All I could think of was literally the opposite.

The reverse wouldn't work if the damage was done.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Schwarzwald posted:

"Sincere hero work" is an interesting one because a big part of the webcomic version is how the heroes mostly suck at being heroic (and how that's a problem). It's perhaps the single most noticeable thematic difference between versions.

I like to see the portrayals of the hero work of low-ranking guys like Mumen Rider and B/A-class heroes.

Spending so much focus on the crazy capabilities of the S-class just seems like it's the thing the manga was made to parody though. I really don't care how good of a swordsman Atomic Samurai is, how smart Child Emperor is, or how much fighting spirit Metal Bat has - they're chumps compared to Saitama like everyone else.

There was a bit in the manga where King and Saitama had a conversation about Saitama's boredom where King suggested Saitama start taking ballroom dance lessons to try to get into a hobby other than fighting. I wanna see more of that kind of thing.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I feel like this kind of fell into the same problem bleach had in that there were too many characters that needed fights so the pacing got bogged down.

that being said this is the only manga I still follow because its still good

I never finished bleach otoh

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Jerkface posted:

Went back like half a years worth of chapters that are available on VIZ just to see what it is like:

134 - Some joke panels
135 - mostly all action
136 - continuation of the action but some gag panels and saitama + monaco + flashy flash are there!
137 - More saitama and company so plenty of gags
138 - King & Metal Bat chapter, so its funny
139 - The S class getting rekt, which can be amusing, but includes a Tank Top actual joke (and the tank top is sentient)
140 - Blizzard resuces Genos chapter, no overt gags but you do have blizzards insistance that Genos is her subordinate

Comedy is subjective, so you may get less mileage out of situational or interrelational human compared with the straight up gags like Monaco having a flashlight and x-ray button and Saitama using them to save her from Blast.

The amount of extra pages that get added of pure fighting reduce the rate at which you get to the comedy stuff, but I think if read as a volume you'd probably enjoy it more rather than waiting weeks/months for a new chapter.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I'm in the "we're lucky to have three versions of the same story, and the fact we can compare them is a luxury" camp. Enjoy the webcomic, manga, and anime in any combination you like, they're all unique and good in their own way.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mostly here for strong emotional beats paired with top tier art and when there's a lot fights without a lot of emotional stakes I'm really only getting half of what I'm looking for, so mostly I've just been waiting.

Like a lot of the stuff with Garou and the kid, that was good poo poo.

Also I'm terrified for monaco and don't want anything to happen to her.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Jerkface posted:

The amount of extra pages that get added of pure fighting reduce the rate at which you get to the comedy stuff, but I think if read as a volume you'd probably enjoy it more rather than waiting weeks/months for a new chapter.

I think this is what it usually boils down to. The inconsistent releases gently caress up the pacing, which exacerbates problems that anybody might already have with it. I'm still enjoying it, but it still feels like forever since there was a good gag, even though your breakdown proves otherwise.

Xarbala posted:

Also I'm terrified for monaco and don't want anything to happen to her.

I hope she becomes one of the people that just always inexplicably finds themselves at Saitama's place. 3 S-class heroes, the leader of the biggest group in B-class, and... a monster.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope Monaco turnd out to be super important sibe she's a monster that doesn't just look like a woman with some kind of animal flavoring slapped on top of her. Likem mosquito, Mileena, the not-Bowsette one when Child Emporer rescured that shithead rich kid, etc.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

graham cracker posted:

I'm in the "we're lucky to have three versions of the same story, and the fact we can compare them is a luxury" camp. Enjoy the webcomic, manga, and anime in any combination you like, they're all unique and good in their own way.

except season 2

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Gologle posted:

except season 2

I laughed at the quality of season 2 a lot, one of the best jokes in the series imo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think, that, comic good.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Bongo Bill posted:

I think, that, comic good.

:hmmyes:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
gently caress yeah. Garou is right, it's better to be evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Get ready, Murata will be recreating the entire series in Blender next.

https://twitter.com/NEBU_KURO/status/1387072908158144513