Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Cenodoxus posted:

I just replaced my ERL with OPNSense on an AliExpress mini PC a few months back. Absolutely no regrets, it's been fantastic. In hindsight, the EdgeRouter web UI was awful and always has been, but I never cared because I preferred the console. OPNSense runs circles around it and I don't miss using the console.

At one point I had the ERL, a UniFi 24 PoE switch, and two AC Pro AP's. The switch was a joke. Now I'm down to just the APs, but I'm getting the urge to replace those too so I can ditch the POS UniFi controller.

Is WiFi 6 a worthwhile upgrade over 802.11ac if I already have good coverage with multiple APs?

Only if you have a lot of WiFi6 devices, and chances are you don't because there's not a lot of chipsets on the market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Is there any reason not to go full ubiquity for a home network if I want to build out for future? I used to be a neteng, do a lot at home, lots of devices, budget non issue. Or should I be looking at like aruba?

I used to like Ubiquiti. But then the top-end engineering talent left, and the marketing ghouls took over, and now they want to be the Apple of prosumer network hardware, where they know what's best for you, no, you don't have any options except to use the cloud.

I would like to stress that this is a very recent turnaround for Ubiquiti. From 2015 up until April of last year, I would have kept buying Ubiquiti hardware, but the news involving them over the past year has soured me considerably.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 21, 2021

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
It sucks that the pivot of management/change of opinion happened AFTER i bought in several large worth of their stuff lol

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

SwissArmyDruid posted:

We used to like Ubiquiti. But then the top-end engineering talent left, and the marketing ghouls took over, and now they want to be the Apple of prosumer network hardware, where they know what's best for you, no, you don't have any options except to use the cloud.

Except, you don't need to use the cloud. You can turn it off after the initial setup.

edit: this doesn't forgive all the other bullshit of course

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

text editor posted:

I was sick of dealing with Ubiquiti's dogshit firmware QA and the security issues so I picked up a new Ruckus R310 on ebay for $130 and it has already been more stable and has a better range than my AC-Lite

I stuck with Ubiquiti for APs and switches for a long time. The occasional firmware or controller hiccup was annoying, but not anything I couldn't just downgrade from. That is, until a controller update took down my entire network, even after rolling the controller version back. It took downgrading, factory resetting everything, and re-adopting my hardware to get back up and running, since I didn't really want to take the time to figure out what the gently caress they did and manually undo it. What I later found out was that that version of the controller (marked stable, and presented as a stable upgrade in the UI) automatically reconfigures APs to mesh wirelessly, even if they're already configured with wired uplinks. Hello, repeated broadcast storms. I started looking for alternative vendors to switch to for my APs and switches at that point.

I just finished replacing my two AC HDs with a pair of Ruckus R710s running their Unleashed firmware, and while it's super overkill for the space I need to cover, I got them at a great price, and they've been awesome so far. Now I just need to replace my switches with something else (I never bothered with their USG, since it always looked terrible to me). I'm thinking maybe Mikrotik, though I'm still looking into what my other options are.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

KS posted:

I mean their gear is bottom of the barrel and their software's worse, and if you're working with the good stuff on a daily basis you might be more likely to be annoyed by it. Users in this thread talk about running distinct 2.4/5 SSIDs and turning off other features like adaptive power that just work on anything else including consumer mesh systems. It is cheap, but not significantly cheaper than used enterprise gear.

It is absolutely killer in dense environments where you can get the bulk of your clients to be AX and it is pretty useless otherwise.

OPNSense is really, really good.

Blah, okay. I was considering Ruckus as an alternative already, guess I'll keep digging a bit.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Also look into Engenius for your APs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cenodoxus posted:

Is WiFi 6 a worthwhile upgrade over 802.11ac if I already have good coverage with multiple APs?

Do you have any WiFi 6 devices? If not, you should just hold off until WiFi 6E gear becomes the standard. 6E brings a lot of things that should have been in 6 originally, like additional channels in the 6GHz range and not just handful. There will be 14 new 80Mhz channels (and by extension 7 new 160MHz channels), which is huge. All non-overlapping and free from legacy protocols.

So in that sense, WiFi 6 is sort of just a stopgap, an incremental improvement on WiFi 5/802.11ac.

KS posted:

Users in this thread talk about running distinct 2.4/5 SSIDs

That's still a good idea, considering how unpredictable and client-dependent band steering can be.

Ideally no one should be running 2.4GHz anymore, unless they have a clear specific requirement for it (old gear, longer range, wall penetration). But alas.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What's the current, recommended all-in-one 802.11ac access point? Ideally under a hundred US bucks.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Cenodoxus posted:

It's probably too soon to switch, it depends on how many compatible devices you have.

I got wifi6 because I was due an upgrade, but then I bought an oculus quest 2 (and which is a wifi6 device) and wifi streaming from my computer to the vr headset works great!

I imagine it works better than my several year old openwrt router.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
yeah that's my other question, I had an asus router with Merlin firmware as the dmarc to my isp. what's recommended for actual router & switch? smb hp gear? I don't mind putting my home network into vlans and don't have anything poe today, but I do a lot of internal traffic to my nas want sometimes external with Plex on it. plan to add some poe cameras at some point.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Kreeblah posted:

I stuck with Ubiquiti for APs and switches for a long time. The occasional firmware or controller hiccup was annoying, but not anything I couldn't just downgrade from. That is, until a controller update took down my entire network, even after rolling the controller version back. It took downgrading, factory resetting everything, and re-adopting my hardware to get back up and running, since I didn't really want to take the time to figure out what the gently caress they did and manually undo it. What I later found out was that that version of the controller (marked stable, and presented as a stable upgrade in the UI) automatically reconfigures APs to mesh wirelessly, even if they're already configured with wired uplinks. Hello, repeated broadcast storms. I started looking for alternative vendors to switch to for my APs and switches at that point.

Oh drat. When was this? Do you know if they ever rolled that back?

I’m down to just the two APs now, both wired, and I’m having some weird as poo poo intermittent slowness while gaming on WiFi. I use Parsec to stream my gaming PC to my laptop, and I’ll see network latency spikes from ~5ms to ~100ms out of the blue that practically kill my session. I’m on 5GHz in line-of-sight to the AP.

Granted, I’m absolutely a dumbass for trying to stream low latency over WiFi, but it’s so inconsistent that a broadcast storm seems likely.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Sniep posted:

It sucks that the pivot of management/change of opinion happened AFTER i bought in several large worth of their stuff lol

True that...

However, for the most part my equipment from them has been great. I have a UDM-Pro, UniFi 8port switch, UniFi AP/AC lite and a wifi 6 lite AP. Except for the controller restarting randomly sometimes, it’s all been pretty flawless.

Plus it let me do a VLAN topology where certain things are on there own vlan for privacy/security... which I probably wouldn’t have done if there was no UI. I’m not a network engineer.

Overall I’m happy with the UniFi stuff

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Cenodoxus posted:

Oh drat. When was this? Do you know if they ever rolled that back?

I’m down to just the two APs now, both wired, and I’m having some weird as poo poo intermittent slowness while gaming on WiFi. I use Parsec to stream my gaming PC to my laptop, and I’ll see network latency spikes from ~5ms to ~100ms out of the blue that practically kill my session. I’m on 5GHz in line-of-sight to the AP.

Granted, I’m absolutely a dumbass for trying to stream low latency over WiFi, but it’s so inconsistent that a broadcast storm seems likely.

They never did. They eventually released a version with that fixed, but they never actually pulled the version (6.0.20) that caused it. It was bad enough that people were making videos telling people not to update to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Bl4yvIwqA

Edit: Ubiquiti's also notorious these days for pushing software from beta to RC to release all within the span of a few hours. So, I can't say I'm entirely surprised that something like this happened.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 21, 2021

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of unifi I am moving in to a new house and am trying to figure out a sensible setup. It's in an xfinity only area unfortunately so I have a surfboard.

Here is the part of the utility closet that I think patches to all the cat5 throughout the house:

Left hand side telco would probably just get removed or ignored. Full gallery of awfulness if you wanna see all the automation stuff too.

So my understanding is I'll need an edgerouter of some sort and probably consolidate all those individual room connections onto a switch or two, connected to that router. Then, some of those room connections could go to PoE APs throughout the house for additional wireless. To do that I'd need a switch that could provide enough power for that? Alternatively I could get a router with a few more outputs, some with PoE, and bypass the switch for the specific outlets that have the APs.

I'd prefer the former since then I could move the APs about without having to worry about which connections to patch directly in to the router, and could get a smaller router that only plugs in to the switch(es). Having it all be gigabit would be nice too I think.

I'm looking at ubiquiti since I already have some unifi APs I'd be bringing with me. I guess I can cover both bases with the ER Lite PoE? Also any recommendations for the downstream switch? Am I totally off in left field? Over my head (definitely yes)?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The Elan stuff could be a pretty sweet setup. Someone put a ton of money into that. The left-hand telco stuff might be salvageable if it's CAT5 (it looks like it is) as it would just need to be reterminated if you need more data in those locations. Ignore if it's actually cat3. The colorado vnet stuff is a ticking time bomb as the company is gone and parts are nonexistent.

The POE switch distinct from the router would likely be the better approach. Would not recommend the ERPoe-5 as passive POE is not what you want. There's no particular reason to stick with ubiquiti for the switch -- for example there are numerous 24-port 2960X POE models on ebay for less than a USW-16-PoE. Switch recommendations depend on how many total ports you want to light up and whether noise is a factor and you want a fanless model.

KS fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 22, 2021

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yes the touchscreen controls for the elan are capacitive 2009 era lcds and are garbage and we are gonna switch on to... something. As you say the colorado vnet stuff will also be going to since it's only a matter of time and there are no replacements. The cool part about them at least is the consoles are low voltage ethernet powered too. 24 port switch is surely plenty and being in this room here fans aren't a concern. Super!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
:lol: I just logged into my Unifi controller, and noticed that since I switched out my APs to non-Unifi ones, it's now displaying an ad for them on the dashboard in addition to the UDM ad.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Huh, I haven't gotten any ads on my Unifi dashboard (yet?).

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I think it's a controller version 6+ thing. I've not seen it since I'm on 5 and upgrading to 6 looks like a pain in the rear end on my TrueNAS box.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

withoutclass posted:

I think it's a controller version 6+ thing. I've not seen it since I'm on 5 and upgrading to 6 looks like a pain in the rear end on my TrueNAS box.

I'm on 6.1.71, not sure if the ads are in a later version. I hope not!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

withoutclass posted:

It's whatever version has that new UI. Mine just updated to that, and it isn't great. Pretty, but it feels like you have to dig for the same information. No ads yet at least.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hey goons. Need to get off the rental treadmill and haven’t bought a router/modem in ages.

Are the recs in the OP still good despite its age? I had an Archer C7 ages ago, but I’m on gigabit now. It’s not symmetrical though my ISP (RCN) is apparently working on that. I’m in an apartment so I don’t have crazy needs, but want to make sure I’m getting the gigabit down on my wired stuff. Before I go snag a C7 and whatever surfboard makes sense I just wanted to check in here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think the current darlings in the consumer segment are Netgear and Asus, but you'll pay a bit more than for an otherwise similar TP-Link.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Wacky Delly posted:

It's whatever version has that new UI. Mine just updated to that, and it isn't great. Pretty, but it feels like you have to dig for the same information. No ads yet at least.

You can turn off the new UI in settings, and I suggest you do so for now. The new UI has some pretty glaring omissions.

6.2.x should give you the option to hide the ads.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

BurningBeard posted:

Hey goons. Need to get off the rental treadmill and haven’t bought a router/modem in ages.

Are the recs in the OP still good despite its age? I had an Archer C7 ages ago, but I’m on gigabit now. It’s not symmetrical though my ISP (RCN) is apparently working on that. I’m in an apartment so I don’t have crazy needs, but want to make sure I’m getting the gigabit down on my wired stuff. Before I go snag a C7 and whatever surfboard makes sense I just wanted to check in here.
From what I can tell, both of the Wifi 6E routers are perpetually sold out and there's only one more coming, I guess the chip shortage is hitting routers hard too?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What S/N range is normal for these modulation modes? Been having problems

quote:

14:09:13 Thu Apr 22 2021 Warning (5) RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power Exceeds Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
14:09:13 Thu Apr 22 2021 Warning (5) Dynamic Range Window violation
14:09:13 Thu Apr 22 2021 Warning (5) RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power Exceeds Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
14:09:15 Thu Apr 22 2021 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
14:21:19 Thu Apr 22 2021 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
14:21:20 Thu Apr 22 2021 Warning (5) DBC-REQ Mismatch Between Calculated Value for P1.6hi Compared to CCAP Provided Value;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
14:21:24 Thu Apr 22 2021 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
14:21:31 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 3; Chan ID: N/A; DSID: �; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
14:58:30 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
14:58:58 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
14:59:04 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
14:59:29 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
15:01:24 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
15:01:33 Thu Apr 22 2021 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
15:01:59 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
15:02:31 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
15:03:23 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
15:03:46 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
15:04:18 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
15:09:41 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
15:10:09 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
15:44:52 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
15:45:14 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
15:48:07 Thu Apr 22 2021 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
15:50:42 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
15:51:35 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
15:55:55 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
15:56:25 Thu Apr 22 2021 Notice (6) CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1.;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
16:29:04 Thu Apr 22 2021 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:33:35;CMTS-MAC=00:56:2b:77:f8:ee;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Rexxed posted:

Ubiquiti has a handy list:
https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/205143490-UniFi-How-to-Reset-Devices-to-Factory-Defaults

Also, apparently the PoE injector might have a reset switch that acts like the device reset switch (I haven't tried this myself):
https://community.ui.com/questions/What-does-resetting-a-PoE-injector-do/877e2cb4-4293-4581-821a-20afe0a15905

Beyond that, the physical switch is on the back of the board next to the ethernet port. I assume it's broken off the board. If you open the case you could try to solder it back on or you can probably jump the contacts on the board with a piece of wire if none of the other options have panned out:

Boner Wad posted:

If you can ssh to it you can run
code:

syswrapper.sh restore-default

Thanks these helped. I was able to finally remember my password and ssh in after cracking it open and trying to physically reset it. Also reseting an AP via POE injector seems to not work any longer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

brand engager posted:

What S/N range is normal for these modulation modes? Been having problems

gently caress the signal levels, those uncorrectable errors should be zero or very near it on every channel.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Yeah I'm trying to figure out why it's that bad

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Damaged or badly terminated cable, did you install it or someone else?

Any cable-detecting backhoe activity nearby?

E: Or the very easiest thing, try switching out your cable to the modem. A kinked cable may not look visually damaged, but it can mess up the signal.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 23, 2021

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Nobodys been digging back there recently, I'll have to check the rest of the run this weekend. I actually dug up and replaced the run from the demarcation box to the local splitter back in 2019, because their run was too short and had a gender changer connecting it to a shorter cable to make up the missing length laying on the ground right next to the local splitter.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
So, I have an SB8200 cable modem that's connecting to an eero network, and I just got a pi-hole set up. However, it's not working with my Android phones.

I have the DNS servers pointing to the pi-hole and it's working on my desktops, but appears to be a bit more finicky with other devices.

I know I can probably swap the modem out for one with a built-in router (a DG3450A), but I'm not sure if that will let me do what I'd like to do, which is disable IPv6 and basically redirect Google DNS requests not made from my pi-hole to my pi-hole.

Would that work? Or do I need a separate router?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I think Android phones require DNS servers to support dnssec or hardcode DNS servers or something. A decent prosumer router can NAT outbound DNS requests to the pihole or block outbound udp/53.

I wouldn't disable IPV6. You might try this: https://old.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/aco8iu/later_model_andriod_devices_not_working_with/

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

KS posted:

I think Android phones require DNS servers to support dnssec or hardcode DNS servers or something. A decent prosumer router can NAT outbound DNS requests to the pihole or block outbound udp/53.

I wouldn't disable IPV6. You might try this: https://old.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/aco8iu/later_model_andriod_devices_not_working_with/

Have already done this with no success, so I'm thinking I will need some other hardware. The problem is that I don't know what "a decent prosumer router" is, given that this is basically all I need to do; the wifi/etc is already taken care of.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
Anyone got any thoughts on my WiFi isn't working for iPhones? Two iPhones in the house both just spin waiting for pages/content to load. All computers and non-iPhones work as expected.

I'd love to run more diagnostics but my knowledge of what's even available to run on an iPhone is limited, none of my usual instincts like ping/nslookup/Wireshark etc. are of any help! I know Apple's WiFi stack is a little weird, but I'm not sure what specifically would need to be tweaked here.

Router is an old Asus n router running DD-WRT. I'd like to figure out what's causing this (just started a couple months ago); you don't need to suggest an upgrade! (It will probably end up happening sooner or later anyhow).

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Can you ping the phones?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
If you have wpa3 enabled turn it off. It's some weird ios13 bug.

KS fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 24, 2021

brains
May 12, 2004

looking for a recommendation for APs for my parents. need to revamp their wireless coverage because it's a garbage mix of combo router/APs and range extenders.

their house is built like a fortress due to hurricane code in their country, so 12" thick concrete walls all around. house is wired but due to the layout and extreme lack of signal propagation i think i'll need about 4 APs. PoE injectors included are a plus.

are there better alternatives to ubiquiti? not impressed with the direction their software is headed.

edit: ebay is flooded with cheap aruba APs, anyone got experience with them?

brains fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Are the CommScope Rucuks APs a good alternative to Unifi? A lot about the management side of things has really soured me on Unifi and I am at a point where I am ready to upgrade APs.