Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

The thread also very quickly went to some pretty racist places so gently caress that guy anyway.

Is this like on twitter or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is this like on twitter or something?

yes

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I should note I didn’t see “the thread” people are talking about. I just saw anime people on my timeline pointing out people still talking about the sus thing and I thought it funny that it’s still going on.

I never go digging for the poop. Don’t ever dig for the poop.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It got quote tweeted into my timeline, I couldn't avoid it

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

apparently the script for the new madoka movie has been written since before thunderbolt fantasy started, which means its probably gonna do the boring thing and wrap everything up neatly imo

https://twitter.com/Butch_Gen/status/1386278371189936129?s=20

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
In case anyone is curious about the aforementioned tweet/thread: https://twitter.com/Locksneedfartin/status/1386000194844700672

Notably, the thing they're complaining about is "sus" being used as a translation for "kyodoru" in the original, which is a shortened version of "kyodoufushin", which is "acting suspicious" so "sus" ends up being a fairly 1:1 translation in both meaning and structure.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 25, 2021

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

i don't give a gently caress what the racist bigot homophobe thinks and i'm sick of reading those garbage tweets

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Shinjobi posted:

I just watched the 3rd episode of "I shaved and then brought a high school girl home." This series is one I was kinda on the fence about, due to it revolving around a pretty traumatized person, and I've gotta say this last episode really struck me in the worst way. It's one thing to have confrontations between mc and this girl where she is trying yet again to barter her body for her stay, which while disgusting is pretty much where she's at by this point of the series. It's another to have the anime just loving linger in on zooms over her lingerie'd tits and rear end repeatedly during this confrontation. It was disgusting. There have been plenty of other tone deaf adapations, but this one just irritated the hell out me.

In that case it seems diegetic, in that the camera is going along with what she's attempting to do.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Paracelsus posted:

In that case it seems diegetic, in that the camera is going along with what she's attempting to do.

I just don't know if the show's going to get the benefit of the doubt from me. It's definitely been the most egregious example to this point, but after earlier examples of male gaze I just don't know if this scene needed it spelled out quite like that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Varinn posted:

apparently the script for the new madoka movie has been written since before thunderbolt fantasy started, which means its probably gonna do the boring thing and wrap everything up neatly imo

Regardless as to whether this is a good or a bad thing (what matters is does it deliver a fun and engaging emotional experience that we expect out of the franchise) but I'm not sure how the script being written years ago implies anything about the plot or story structure.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

a kitten posted:

i don't give a gently caress what the racist bigot homophobe thinks and i'm sick of reading those garbage tweets

This. Also the unironic use of "soy bug gamer people" is a dead giveaway of their biases and lovely opinions.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Regardless as to whether this is a good or a bad thing (what matters is does it deliver a fun and engaging emotional experience that we expect out of the franchise) but I'm not sure how the script being written years ago implies anything about the plot or story structure.

I just mean that it could have been written as a piece with Rebellion. itd be more interesting to me if this was a current script, given his work on thunderbolt, which rules.

but its all just spitballing, i dont know poo poo

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hot take #1: Nagatoro is obviously exactly the sort of teen who would use the word "sus" in general conversation

Hot take #2: I think the new Madoka movie could be good or it could be bad, and I will decide which I think it is once it has actually been made and I have actually watched it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm going to just not pay any real mind to the new madoka movie until after it's out and then maybe i'll watch it eventually

also you don't have to post the nagatoro thread it's the most boring thing imaginable to discuss

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What the gently caress is soy bug gamer people?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nitrousoxide posted:

What the gently caress is soy bug gamer people?

do you think the words have some actual meaning to decipher that are worth caring about

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Varinn posted:

is it worth watching anything madoka other than the basic anime? i didnt even know there was more until now lol

marumaru
May 20, 2013

a kitten posted:

why is he being given attention at all
you can literally understand everything you need to by reading literally 2 of his tweets
stop playing yourselves people

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

marumaru posted:

is it worth watching anything madoka other than the basic anime? i didnt even know there was more until now lol

rebellion is the best part of the series and magia record is decently well liked

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

marumaru posted:

rebellion is an extremely good sequel movie that improves the original series by its existence imo

the magia record spinoff i found to be a mixed bag but the highs are really high

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

marumaru posted:

why is he being given attention at all
you can literally understand everything you need to by reading literally 2 of his tweets
stop playing yourselves people

people like posting garbage for attention and other people showing it to everyone else for the same

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Colonel posted:

rebellion is the best part of the series and magia record is decently well liked

Tales of Woe posted:

rebellion is an extremely good sequel movie that improves the original series by its existence imo

the magia record spinoff i found to be a mixed bag but the highs are really high

wow poo poo looks like i'm missing out, will give those a watch!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Sus has been around forever, at least here in Australia. I could go dig up some mafia games on these forums from years ago where everyone is calling everyone else "pretty sus"

I'm fascinated by this idea that it's a new slang word. Was it not a common phrase in the US before?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

i like both magia record and rebellion more than the tv series, and i like the tv series

there's also a few spinoff manga. kazumi magica and oriko magica are eh but theres a short backstory manga for mami and kyouko (different story) that adds some context to their characters, mami especially

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

marumaru posted:

wow poo poo looks like i'm missing out, will give those a watch!

imo Magia Record (which has an anime but is primarily a gacha game) is easier to enjoy if you accept it as its own thing instead of going in expecting Madoka 2.

edit: seconding endorph on the mami + kyoko manga, that one rules

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
There's also the most important Madoka spinoff manga, Homura Tamura.

Is the Magia Record anime self-contained or does it end a "hope you like gacha if you want the rest of the story" note?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thoom posted:

There's also the most important Madoka spinoff manga, Homura Tamura.

Is the Magia Record anime self-contained or does it end a "hope you like gacha if you want the rest of the story" note?

It's self-contained except that it ends on a cliffhanger. The next season has been officially announced to be a thing but we still don't have any details on like ETA or anything.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded
What was the Nagatoro racism thing about, anyway?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I think people were saying the guy who people were posting tweets of was racist.

Because boy is he ever, jesus christ

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

A racist got mad because the English translation of a slangy Japanese script used slang he wasn't particularly familiar with.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Darth Walrus posted:

A racist got mad because the English translation of a slangy Japanese script used slang he wasn't particularly familiar with.

I got that, but wasn't there one before this week about the manga itself being racist because it promoted bullying or something? After the anime was first announced.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

does any of the stupid twitter bullshit really matter

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

it's an /a/ (4chan) troll and people keep giving him attention
people are literally giving him what he wants by engaging him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I got that, but wasn't there one before this week about the manga itself being racist because it promoted bullying or something? After the anime was first announced.
i dont think a japanese person bullying another japanese person involves racism

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also yeah for real it can be kinda funny to dunk on him a bit but why are people talking about that random guy in hushed tones/making him a trending twitter topic lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm pretty sure trends with descriptions are made manually by twitter, so they're directly trying to drive engagements towards this kind of poo poo now, lol

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
imo the only engagement that guy needs is anyone who looks at his tweets clicking on the report button. twitter moderation sucks rear end and they probably won't do anything about it but if there are enough reports they might eventually glance at them and at least delete his garbage.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Endorph posted:

also yeah for real it can be kinda funny to dunk on him a bit but why are people talking about that random guy in hushed tones/making him a trending twitter topic lol

It seems like people on twitter are determined to make disagreements about minor issues like translation into these huge moral debates and if you disagree with a person, you must be a terrible human being. Its not hard to find some random rear end in a top hat to turn into a convenient example of how terrible a person is for disagreeing with something.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It seems like people on twitter are determined to make disagreements about minor issues like translation into these huge moral debates and if you disagree with a person, you must be a terrible human being. Its not hard to find some random rear end in a top hat to turn into a convenient example of how terrible a person is for disagreeing with something.

It's not his opinion on the localization people are dunking on him for...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's not his opinion on the localization people are dunking on him for...

Yes, I realize that, hence the rear end in a top hat comment. I'm saying they are taking advantage of his other lovely opinions to show off that disagreeing with them about minor dumb translation stuff makes someone a Nazi like him by association.