Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Dave Matthews Band?

I dove into the Wikipedia set of articles about DMB and their various albums, tours, performances, etc. and got a bit scrambled. It seems like one of their (many) live albums would be the place to start, given their reputation for jamming on stage and making every live performance unique. I usually try to avoid live albums if I'm not already very familiar with the artist, because at concerts many artists let the audience do a lot of the singing, making the lyrics completely unintelligible if you don't already know them. But maybe with DMB that kind of thing is part of the point? Or maybe it's better to stick to a studio album before exploring their various live styles?

agreeing with the other posters on this topic. also you're thinking too hard. get under the table and dreaming and proceed chronologically forward from there and stop when you've had enough. either you'll want to hear the stuff live or you won't. also the horribly-titled "big whiskey and the groogrux king" is actually kinda interesting in that the riffs are all written for electric guitar, which dave is generally not a user of

Kvlt! posted:

Amplifier Worship is the best place to start. Akuma no Uta I would try next, then Pink, then Flood (in that order). This'll give you a nice sampling of their different sounds. There's lots of guides online to Boris, each album is very unique so I'd start with those 4 and if you like them do the discography chronologically.

Those 4 all sound very different so if you don't like one, don't write off the others.

i am an absolute sucker for pink and would almost always want to put that first

and really, you could pick any four records from them and still hit a wide array of sounds

(I am going to go to bat for attention please as well, consequences be damned)

but this is a good starter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

hexwren posted:

i am an absolute sucker for pink and would almost always want to put that first

and really, you could pick any four records from them and still hit a wide array of sounds

but this is a good starter

This thread helped me get into Boris and I agree with what everyone has said.

But Pink is still far and away my favorite and worth picking to start.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hexwren posted:

Attention Please is a fantastic album, I love it. I don't think Boris has a bad album. I don't like their post rock stuff as much but that's because I personally don't like post rock. The quality of the music is excellent however.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Pink was my gateway to Boris, I definitely prefer their droney stuff to the rocky stuff.
The Altar collab with Sunn0))) is one I really like too. I'm not a huge fan of the latter, there's nowt wrong with them but I have to be in the right mindset for it, whereas the additional musicality added by Boris really clicks for me.

The production on that album is great too; I remember reading a review, probably in Metal Hammer or Terrorizer, that described it as "crawling out the speakers" and it really does- there's a spacial depth to it on a par with Trent Reznor's best works that makes it the audio equivalent of Sadako, fully 3d.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Boris' discog is also a ton of fun to explore because it's an incomprehensible mess. Multiple albums with the same name - some released on the same day, tons of collaboration albums with Sunn O))) and Merzbow, and so on. It's an infinite well of stuff to explore.

Also throwing out an recommendation for NO from last year, style wise it's right on the border of punk and metal and goes hard from start to finish.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I heard a song that almost sounded like shoegaze but I don't know what album it was from

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

evilpicard posted:

I heard a song that almost sounded like shoegaze but I don't know what album it was from

Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

hexwren posted:

also you're thinking too hard. get under the table and dreaming and proceed chronologically forward from there and stop when you've had enough.

Well, yeah. Overthinking it is what I do. But point taken, and thanks for the rec.

I bought Vivid by Living Colour a little while ago, and somebody commented that it gets very 80's at times. Yes. And it's very good. Somehow Living Colour didn't land in my mental perceptions of 80's music, but they've found a home there now.

On that thought, Pet Shop Boys ?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

On that thought, Pet Shop Boys ?

Please is the first one and has the biggest hits. It’s great. There was a remix album of that material called Disco that I like too, but probably not essential next step.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

BigFactory posted:

Please is the first one and has the biggest hits. It’s great.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

please is definitely the starter

very is the one you go to next

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Those photos of Matt Pike and Wata together make me wish those two would start a band. Wata is an absolute guitar wizard, when I saw Boris it was some of the best tone I've ever heard come out of a speaker

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i would instantly lay down money for a borisleep big band lp

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

re: Pet Shop Boys

You want Please, Actually, and Behaviour. Those three LPs will get you the bulk of stone cold classics and phenomenal deep cuts from their peak period.

Alternatively, go seek out the extremely rewarding compilation Discography which compiles the bulk of singles.

"Being Boring" is a stellar side one track one, so at least listen to that one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

hexwren posted:

i would instantly lay down money for a borisleep big band lp

Co-sign, I'll listen to anything involving Pike, and I like Boris a bunch

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I've started digging into Alice Coltrane's discography, where do I go after Journey in Satchinanda and Universal Consciousness if I really like the south Asian influenced avant-garde thing she plays with in those two records? Open to suggestions from other artists as well, I'm not at all well-versed in jazz outside of The Necks so feel free to push me towards more of the psychedelic/atmospheric kind of stuff if you know any.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I got to Pink by Boris on my Spotify playlist tonight after seeing it recommended more than a few times in this thread and I'm kicking myself for not listening to it before now. Blackout is one of the heaviest songs I've ever heard, so loving dirty and meaty.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

internet celebrity posted:

I've started digging into Alice Coltrane's discography, where do I go after Journey in Satchinanda and Universal Consciousness if I really like the south Asian influenced avant-garde thing she plays with in those two records? Open to suggestions from other artists as well, I'm not at all well-versed in jazz outside of The Necks so feel free to push me towards more of the psychedelic/atmospheric kind of stuff if you know any.

Lord of Lords is the next album after those and is really good and has some composed stuff that isn't really jazz as such. She doesn't really have any particularly bad records afaik,but in particular you might want to check out the albums she did in the 80s which are like new age chants heavily influenced by Indian classical music.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

If you’re completely new to jazz and haven’t heard In a Silent Way or A Tribute to Jack Johnson, they might hit the atmospheric note you’re looking for, and if you like them Miles obviously has a huge catalog to explore. If you’re looking to try a different kind of avant-garde jazz, I like Rahsaan Roland Kirk a lot. Try “Prepare Thyself To Deal With A Miracle” and see if you like it. He does a lot with drone sounds cause he’s often playing a couple horns at a time. That one has vocalists as well. I like it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A Love Supreme

Some people are going to tell you it doesn't get any better than that.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t88stnbP0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dokLwszdUgY

Wilbur Swain fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 30, 2021

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've been listening to a podcast, and the musicians on it have been talking about their influences. More than one has talked about Embrace. I'd never heard of them - where should I start?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

I've been listening to a podcast, and the musicians on it have been talking about their influences. More than one has talked about Embrace. I'd never heard of them - where should I start?

There are two bands called Embrace, one US (80s DC punk) and one UK (I literally only learned about them right now while googling what year Embrace (US)'s only album came out.)

the US Embrace's only album is really good tho

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Seconding the recommendation of Pharoah Sanders. As above Karma is closest to the same sound but he also hits the south asian vibe on a few other records - I think Journey to the One has a couple of tracks on it that hit the mark.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ExecuDork posted:

Assuming that you're talking about the US band, Embrace is what Ian MacKaye did between Minor Threat and Fugazi. Those are two hugely influential bands, so if you want more after listening to Embrace's only album, look at their work. Minor Threat's complete recordings have been released on a single disc titled Complete Discography so that's obviously the one to recommend. Fugazi has a larger catalog but most fans would agree that 13 Songs is the most important work they did.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, so... big one.

Prince.

I do know the highlights. I've listened to the Purple Rain album, and Dirty Mind, 1999, and Sign O' The Times are definitely next up on the list, and I've listened to a bunch of the big singles, natch.

But like from what I've heard, Around The World In A Day is... mixed, Controversy is just a watered-down Dirty Mind, and basically everything from the 90s period was bad?

Anything else I should be aware of? A standout single or two from a bad album, hidden gems, etc?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

Okay, so... big one.

Prince.

I do know the highlights. I've listened to the Purple Rain album, and Dirty Mind, 1999, and Sign O' The Times are definitely next up on the list, and I've listened to a bunch of the big singles, natch.

But like from what I've heard, Around The World In A Day is... mixed, Controversy is just a watered-down Dirty Mind, and basically everything from the 90s period was bad?

Anything else I should be aware of? A standout single or two from a bad album, hidden gems, etc?

I'll be the naysayer and say Controversy and Around the World In A Day are my two favorite Prince albums. Controversy is a more refined and mature Dirty Mind, not watered-down. It's also his best synth album, and I love synth Prince.

You're pretty safe with any album from 1979-88.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 4, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Junpei posted:

Okay, so... big one.

Prince.

90s prince isn’t bad. Neither is 00’s or 10’s prince.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Junpei posted:

basically everything from the 90s period was bad?

v. wrong.

the albums in the 90s definitely get weirder, occasionally in ways where you're like "why did you do all these interludes between these great songs" but there is a ton of fantastic music there.

essentially just keep listening, even if people are like "it's uneven" or whatever. it's not always masterpieces but it's always prince music.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah, the 90s gives us Diamonds and Pearls, and the Love Symbol album. Like, that alone is going to give you some great stuff.

Make sure you're listening to the vault material as well - Purple Rain, 1999, and Sign O' the Times have deluxe editions that are really good.

Like 1999 and Sign O' the Times come with 2-3x the length of the original albums of vault material, and there's a lot of great stuff. Like If It'll Make You Happy, Wally, Purple Music, all great stuff. And the B-sides and 12" mixes from Purple Rain are all fantastic and essential. Erotic City, 17 Days - those songs actually got loving airplay.

Prince is one of those artists who just did whatever he wanted, and you just go along for the ride.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I started with 1999 and that worked for me if you have decision paralysis.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

algebra testes posted:

I mean, not that I know, but I understand, through a friend that...

Crash totally whips rear end, and if you like that Before These Crowded Streets which is a smidge darker. Under The Table and Dreaming has a few good ones also. Never got much into Stand Up. Busted Stuff is the equivalent of say, No Code, the slightly darker off beat album you say you like it you want to be hip.

For live I started with, I mean, I hear Live At Fenway Park is a good space to start - DMB Live Trax 6 - Fenway Park.

Edit: DMB are a band that jam but not a jam band. They do however get a big frat crowd and they mix up their shows each night like a jam band. Jam band lite is a great name.

My friend who’s into Dave Matthews Band really likes Live at Luther College. He says any live album with Tim Reynolds is actually the best, and Before These Crowded Streets is the best studio album by miles.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

Assuming that you're talking about the US band, Embrace is what Ian MacKaye did between Minor Threat and Fugazi. Those are two hugely influential bands, so if you want more after listening to Embrace's only album, look at their work. Minor Threat's complete recordings have been released on a single disc titled Complete Discography so that's obviously the one to recommend. Fugazi has a larger catalog but most fans would agree that 13 Songs is the most important work they did.

Fugazi rules but is nothing like Embrace IMO. “13 Song” isn’t an actual release just a reissue of their first two EPs so it will feel pretty incoherent as your first exposure.

Repeater is where their sound really crystallized and built off what they did on Margin Walker (2nd half of 13 Songs).

OP if the DC Embrace is what you’re talking about then look up Revolution Summer and go from there.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

And make sure you listen to Rites of Spring as well.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've never really heard much Talking Heads outside of a handful of their biggest singles - Road to Nowhere, once in a lifetime. I've always been intrigued since their lead singer is Scottish and they have a quirky style. What's their best album

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've never really heard much Talking Heads outside of a handful of their biggest singles - Road to Nowhere, once in a lifetime. I've always been intrigued since their lead singer is Scottish and they have a quirky style. What's their best album

He's not really Scottish, he was raised in Baltimore.

The consensus greatest Heads album is Remain in Light (which contains Once in a Lifetime), but it's also one of their least accessible. You can't really go wrong with any of their first five though. 77 is the punkiest, most immediate one. Fear of Music is when they start to get more experimental. Speaking in Tongues has some of their best songs but is sometimes thought of as a lesser work from the previous four.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm not a huge fan of theirs, but you have to check out the live album "Stop Making Sense". The album and/or film.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That would be a place to start, I'd agree.

With Talking Heads I can probably write a list of 5 - 10 songs that are total bangers, just utter fire, ans they are all ridiculously distinct from one another but also from the same source.

Great band, but difficult.

I started with Remain in Light and stop Making Sense.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's no real reason not to go in chronological order, but yeah, if you're going to pick one, Stop Making Sense is the way to go. It's a little tough to listen to some of the album versions of those songs after, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I generally dislike suggesting best-ofs or live records for bands that have capital-G Great albums, but Stop Making Sense is one of the best concert films of all time and a very good overview of the band's output to that point, such that a few tracks off of it replace their studio versions on the also-very-good best-of Sand in the Vaseline, which will get you everything you need if you just want to stick with the singles (and a few album tracks and one-offs that didn't make it to the albums; "Love → Building on Fire" is an all-time great)

both of those will set up the casual fan just fine, though the records are totally worth getting into. my favorites are Fear of Music and More Songs About Buildings And Food, but I don't think the group ever cut an actually-bad record.

also, seconding the comment that Remain in Light is probably the hardest record to get into just by putting it on the stereo cold. Speaking in Tongues isn't bad at all and the best songs on it are all fantastic, but it's often held to be a slightly lesser effort because Stop Making Sense (recorded on the Speaking tour) is just that much better.

The first two records (77, More Songs...) are jangly pop with strange fixations
The second two records (Fear of Music, Remain in Light) introduce and develop their work with polyrhythm and extended song structure
The third two records (Speaking in Tongues, Little Creatures) have the super-big MTV hits and compact the Remain sound down to standard pop song structure and length
The last two records (True Stories, Naked) are basically David Byrne solo projects but absolutely get slept on and should not be skipped (True Stories, the film, is probably my favorite movie of all time)

also worth checking: the Tom Tom Club's first record (essentially a Talking Heads record without Byrne - the big hit from that record, "Genius of Love" also appears in Stop Making Sense while Byrne is offstage for a costume change)