Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If you don't get ink on your fingers filling your pens, have you really filled them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4DLurPSrHE
I thought the Con-70 that came with my new Custom 743 was different.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

iospace posted:

If you don't get ink on your fingers filling your pens, have you really filled them?

I wear gloves :smug:

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

Heath posted:

:mods:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Heath posted:

Pervert.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Heath posted:

:ohno:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heath posted:

:catstare:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Heath posted:

:aaaaa:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hey gloves aren't that weird, I wear mittens to fill my fountain pens

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Hey folks, PSA from your friendly neighborhood Nib Guy: If you wish to play darts, please use darts. Do not use your fountain pens or you will have to pay me a lot of money to fix them.

I wouldn't think I would need to say this, but

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Cool cobra

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:wtc:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hi kids I'm getting my cursive back and got a couple fountain pens to play with including a metropolitan and Lamy Safari, and found a Cross Bailey Light that was sitting around.

I'm taking a plunge and getting myself a Lamy 2000 largely because iospace told me to. Maybe a silly question but is Lamy consistent with their nib sizes? I've got a fine nib on my safari but wasn't sure if that meant the same for the gold/rhodium instead of the Safari's steel

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Max posted:

Notebook chat - I like this vendor a lot, and satisfies a lot of your requirements: Taroko Design

I don't use them with fountain pens as they're for my art journals, but I can vouch for how quickly this shop puts stuff in the post and the seller sometimes includes small freebies like pencil boards or a postcard . I've ordered three or four times now and never been disappointed.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

For those long winding letters.

nono, wait, for meandering sentences.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fun things to note:

-Not visible in the pictures, but the tines are also both badly bent to the right as well as curved up and down.
-The orange peel' texture that's visible is often a sign that the tempering of the gold has been altered (this is very bad).
-When I asked how this happened, the guy that gave me the pen only mumbled "My wife was using it".

DJExile posted:

hi kids I'm getting my cursive back and got a couple fountain pens to play with including a metropolitan and Lamy Safari, and found a Cross Bailey Light that was sitting around.

I'm taking a plunge and getting myself a Lamy 2000 largely because iospace told me to. Maybe a silly question but is Lamy consistent with their nib sizes? I've got a fine nib on my safari but wasn't sure if that meant the same for the gold/rhodium instead of the Safari's steel

Lamy 2000 nibs run a bit wider than their steel nibs. Get the extra-fine if you want something similar to your Safari.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

grack posted:

-When I asked how this happened, the guy that gave me the pen only mumbled "My wife was using it".

For cooking heroin??

grack
Jan 10, 2012

gschmidl posted:

For cooking heroin??

gently caress all knows. Maybe she was trying to stab him and hit a rib.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Never loan out a pen you care about, not even to your spouse. You think the pen manufacturers put that in big letters on the instruction pamphlet you get with a pen but no, they sell more pens this way.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's really how big pen gets you. They don't want to cure the problem they WANT you to lend out your pens so they break.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Need pen thread advice...

I posted a SA-Mart thread to sell off a bunch of my pens because I want to get a Sailor 1911L. Just wondering if anyone's got any good info on the L-versions.

Oh, the PenBBS that I had crack, it's a ~$18 pen so I melted the plastic back together with a soldering iron and it seems to be alright now.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

What do you want to know about the 1911L? They're great pens. I used to own a few before switching to the Pro Gear, which is the same pen just with flat finials. The nibs are fantastic and are so nice that I find myself reaching for my Sailors whenever I need to jot something down. Nib sizing is definitely small compared to western sizing, so a medium will be closer to a western fine. They have a moderate flow, smooth a little bit of feedback, and next-to-no flex.

Sailor uses proprietary converters which come in a huge array of colors, so you can match your converter to your pen if you want to go the extra step. They hold about a half-milliliter of ink and play nicely with any brand of ink I've tried. Also, their converters can also be completely disassembled for cleaning if you need to, which is a nice bonus. Only real criticism is that the rubber plunger can become unseated during reassembly, which means you need to disassemble it again to reseat. Doesn't take that long to do, but it is something to point out.

In terms of body size, they are on the smaller end and probably need to be posted unless you have small hands. I'm a person who has very large hands and I find a posted 1911L/Pro Gear to be perfect for my hands. Section diameter is around ten and a half millimeters, which is a nice size without being too chunky.

I took a couple of photos of one of my Pro Gears next to a couple other of my pens, if you're curious about size comparison. Pro Gears are only a tiny bit shorter than a 1911L:

Capped:

(l-r: Pro Gear Slim, Pro Gear, Platinum 3776, Visconti Rembrandt, Pelikan M800)

Posted:

Anyway, Sailors are fantastic pens with the nicest nibs I've ever used. Just to note: You can pay way less for one of their pens if you're comfortable using a grey-market seller through Amazon or Ebay. It's kinda ridiculous how much they charge in the US and other countries.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Clarity

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 26, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Queadlunn posted:

Need pen thread advice...

I posted a SA-Mart thread to sell off a bunch of my pens because I want to get a Sailor 1911L. Just wondering if anyone's got any good info on the L-versions.
Consider a Taccia Spotlight instead, it's a Sailor nib on a pen roughly the same size as the 1911L but quite a bit cheaper. If you do really want a 1911L, and good choice if you do, don't be a coward, get a Pirate's Life, Key Lime, or Tangerine. Or some other more subdued color, just not a boring black resin.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

The spotlight uses the same 14k nib as the 1911S or the Pro Gear Slim. The 1911L has a larger 21k nib.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Chip McFuck posted:

What do you want to know about the 1911L?

Anyway, Sailors are fantastic pens with the nicest nibs I've ever used. Just to note: You can pay way less for one of their pens if you're comfortable using a grey-market seller through Amazon or Ebay. It's kinda ridiculous how much they charge in the US and other countries.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Clarity

howe_sam posted:

Consider a Taccia Spotlight instead, it's a Sailor nib on a pen roughly the same size as the 1911L but quite a bit cheaper. If you do really want a 1911L, and good choice if you do, don't be a coward, get a Pirate's Life, Key Lime, or Tangerine. Or some other more subdued color, just not a boring black resin.

Thanks very much for the input!
I'm really liking the clear demonstrator, the clear+gold does things to me.

I've been poking at my pen stuff off-and-on for a few years now but want to get into gold nibs. I was thinking of getting another old nice Sheaffer or something and restoring it but that still has a very old pen that could have issues. So now I'm looking at getting my first [couple and some] hundred dollar pen and stopping my collecting for a while.

Edit- Was originally looking at the Platinum #3776 with an ultra-fine nib but just didn't like the pen body enough to make it work for me. :<

Queadlunn fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 26, 2021

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Queadlunn posted:

Edit- Was originally looking at the Platinum #3776 with an ultra-fine nib but just didn't like the pen body enough to make it work for me. :<

IMO the Platinum UEF is a specialty tool that shouldn't be anyone's first anything. It sacrifices a lot of smoothness for the sake of the finest line possible and that can take people by surprise. Definitely one to try before you buy.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Dad Hominem posted:

IMO the Platinum UEF is a specialty tool that shouldn't be anyone's first anything. It sacrifices a lot of smoothness for the sake of the finest line possible and that can take people by surprise. Definitely one to try before you buy.

Been using a Platinum desk pen for a few years (RIP, they stopped making it), and a bunch of radiographs for illustration crap I do. Anything like those?

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Queadlunn posted:

Been using a Platinum desk pen for a few years (RIP, they stopped making it), and a bunch of radiographs for illustration crap I do. Anything like those?

Never tried the desk pen, sorry.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mmmmm

Ketamine and pliers time

Queadlunn posted:

From limited experience, the UEF is actually a touch finer than the XF Carbon desk pen.

grack fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 26, 2021

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

drat that was quick.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Zombie pen?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lowness 72 posted:

Zombie pen?

That one's a sharpie "holder", not sure what the official name is.

e: hmm, Galen has referral links for 10% off, is that kosher to post?

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 27, 2021

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Went shopping this afternoon at a bit supermarket and saw these! Lamy Safaris, US$13.75. So of course, I bought two.

Nice to see the price on the back, reminding me that tI got a good price. (I know you could probably buy cheaper, somewhere, but I'm in Qatar, in the middle east, and imported bargains like these are rare!)

So I had an excuse to pull out my jar of Lamy cartridges and write a few letters. I've not had a Lamy for a while - I think they must have evaporated from my work desk.

I decided a while back that cheap and disposable is my sweet spot with pens. On my home desk now I have the two Safaris, a Kaweco Sport, and a couple of nice Ali Express specials. And I"m OK with that!

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Teach posted:

Went shopping this afternoon at a bit supermarket and saw these! Lamy Safaris, US$13.75. So of course, I bought two.

Nice price! I would have bought more :homebrew: assuming they had other colors that is. I've bought two Safari's this week, one in Savannah and an All Black (2018 SE). They are great pens when the nibs are good or require just light tuning out of the box. The first Safari I had was terrible though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

So it's been an expensive month

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Bank posted:

Nice price! I would have bought more :homebrew: assuming they had other colors that is. I've bought two Safari's this week, one in Savannah and an All Black (2018 SE). They are great pens when the nibs are good or require just light tuning out of the box. The first Safari I had was terrible though.

I may well be back this afternoon to pick up a couple more - only black and white, sadly. And yeah, they can be variable, but the white one was a sweet as a nut out of the packet, and I was really pleased with it. And because I get to use up my supply of cartridges, I'm practically saving money!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I've found it, the worst pen.

https://twitter.com/tada2547/status/1378618541247623170

https://www.odditycentral.com/news/japanese-ballpoint-pen-comes-with-a-live-parasitic-worm.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I really was like, "Ew! Why did they turn out a pen using some clearish acrylic that looks like it has a parasite in it?" when I saw the pictures first.