Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's not his opinion on the localization people are dunking on him for...

I don't think that's the argument.

The idea is that, for any opinion, there is some person out there who holds it and is an obviously terrible person. So if you're in favor of some show, you can look up a person disparaging it who makes incredibly racist tweets, and if you hate it, you can find someone who loves the show being just as horrible.

It's moving away from argument about the show to argument about people's value as human beings, and it just makes everyone worse.

Like Twitter does.

Twitter makes people worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

chiasaur11 posted:

Twitter makes people worse.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's more like people were saying the thread was dumb and then after that is when guy started with the "LOOKS LIKE THE SJWS FOUND MY TWEETS"

but this is all meaningless in the end

marumaru
May 20, 2013

drat what about them seasonal animes though

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

marumaru posted:

Back Arrow Dēlenda Est.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

to try and help get this thread back into fun and pleasant topics, i'm shocked at Vivy. hadnt seen anyone talk about it but holy gently caress were the two episodes i watched good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

marumaru posted:

Super cub got chosen as anime of the season by the asahi shimbun. Jump in now and enjoy, as you can go anywhere with a cub

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Davincie posted:

Super cub got chosen as anime of the season by the asahi shimbun. Jump in now and enjoy, as you can go anywhere with a cub

i was about to make a dumb joke to the tune of "hehe are they making an anime about a bike haha"

oh

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

marumaru posted:

i was about to make a dumb joke to the tune of "hehe are they making an anime about a bike haha"

oh

It's good and you should watch it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's good and you should watch it.

it's on the list

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Listen, if we go back to this everyone can be happy.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nitrousoxide posted:

Listen, if we go back to this everyone can be happy.

I will not be happy :colbert:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

Figured out how to make the dumb black boxes on Funimation's subs go away :toot:

I love this dumb dragon.

God this looks like hot garbage. Why are borders on subs impossible to figure out?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Strange Quark posted:

God this looks like hot garbage. Why are borders on subs impossible to figure out?

Making text a consistent colour but always easy to read against any kind of background is pretty challenging

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Strange Quark posted:

There are options for adjusting it

Electric Phantasm posted:

If you're using the app on the phone there's setting in the caption select

And then you can set the background color to none

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

marumaru posted:

oh

Meanwhile, even though I'm watching Super Cub, it makes me think of Kabu no Isaki every time, since that's also about someone feeling free after getting a Cub. It's just, you know.

A different kind of Super Cub.

Well, until the final chapter, where we see Isaki in a world more like ours, where he just has a Honda instead of a Piper.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

black stroke around subtitles or bust

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

marumaru posted:

black stroke around subtitles or bust

Yeah I think both those examples are very good, black outline around light colour (inc. white) gets you out of trouble, and seems to be standard practice on what I watch

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Splode posted:

Making text a consistent colour but always easy to read against any kind of background is pretty challenging

Not really. You just give the text a contrasting border and then no matter what the surrounding color, it'll either contrast with the text border or the text itself.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Meanwhile, even though I'm watching Super Cub, it makes me think of Kabu no Isaki every time, since that's also about someone feeling free after getting a Cub. It's just, you know.

A different kind of Super Cub.

without having watched either, makes me think of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

marumaru posted:

without having watched either, makes me think of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

No surprise there.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou's by the same mangaka as Kabu no Isaki. No direct connection, but they share a lot of themes.

(I actually checked out Kabu first because it got mentioned in Fujimoto's author comments for Chainsaw Man. If you like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, I recommend checking it out.)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Splode posted:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

I don't believe my lying eyes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The problem is that a lot of services don't give you a text border option at all (e.g., Netflix, Youtube).

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Yeah and if you don't have an outline it's pretty much impossible to do with just one colour, which is what I meant in my original post. (Please stop owning me)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

The problem is that a lot of services don't give you a text border option at all (e.g., Netflix, Youtube).

Funimation is the worst of all beacuse it's white text with black border but it's a solid rectangle black border

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Strange Quark posted:

A lot of services don't even have locational subs, so signs/on-screen text goes untranslated even if its critical to the current scene.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GorfZaplen posted:

Funimation is the worst of all beacuse it's white text with black border but it's a solid rectangle black border

The PS4/PS5 Funimation app uses the system subtitle settings, and those do have a border option.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Strange Quark posted:

The way a lot of services treat their subtitles makes me long for the days of hard-encoded subs on the video, frankly

It's gonna be "fun" seeing how Netflix handles all those text-captioned Line stamps that aren't spoken in Godzilla SP

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Back Arrow Dēlenda Est.

Hey, I see you did the thing!

There's more than enough cool shows for cool people, but Back Arrow is simply a chill show for chill people. That's the real difference.

Incidentally, they're releasing the English dub for BA and what I heard of it sounds nice enough. The voice actors seem to be having fun

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 26, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would say episode 16 was the opposite of chill, hype

dub thoughts i only liked Elsha and Bit, everyone else felt hit or miss from line to line or just fully awful like Kai. Shu also needs to keep his camp under control. A for effort on their Back Arrow pun, i will probably check it out again when Demyne's choir and some Lutoh characters make appearances.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

dub thoughts i only liked Elsha and Bit, everyone else felt hit or miss from line to line or just fully awful like Kai. Shu also needs to keep his camp under control. A for effort on their Back Arrow pun, i will probably check it out again when Demyne's choir and some Lutoh characters make appearances.

I really want to see the dub just for the choir :allears:.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

They finally fixed this on the Amazon Fire stick so I'm happy with it

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

learning the funi subs worked off my TV ones was great, but also taught me that my native tv closed captioning options arent as granular as id want

the difference between the normal and the large sized ones is massive, and the borders dont get as thick as I feel you'd want them to. still miles better than the defaults though

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

dogsicle posted:

You got me there, 'cause I'm also a bit hyped after that, but on balance the series can be described as chill thus far.

I think chewing the scenery works for Shu rather well, since Sugita himself absolutely does some of that in Japanese too.

The English dub's choir is going to be either the most amusing thing or totally fall flat, so here's hoping it's the first of those.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I swear, I can't watch an episode of "Dragon's House Hunting" without marveling at how much of a unique cupcake Letty is.And now he's got a pet!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Doodles posted:

I swear, I can't watch an episode of "Dragon's House Hunting" without marveling at how much of a unique cupcake Letty is.And now he's got a pet!

Letty is just a giant weenie that needs to be protected.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
was the yellow/white convention that internal monologue was yellow while speaking was white (or vice versa)? Feels like it's been applied with differing levels of success but was kinda neat. Some subs good some subs bad, some fansubs good some bad.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

All subtitle fights must make temporary peace with the Monogatari OP that transcends time and subtitle aesthetics.
The lack of black border on white ruins it anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLlytsgLcr4

Daedalus1134 fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Daedalus1134 posted:

All subtitle fights must make temporary peace with the Monogatari OP that transcends time and subtitle aesthetics.
The lack of black border on white ruins it anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLlytsgLcr4

didnt notice that, so cool. bring back monogatari because need more OP's