Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Great, now I'm hoping Trent has a small archive of jingles he's rewritten just for fun, for like Tucks medicated pads, or stool softeners or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

a mysterious cloak posted:

Great, now I'm hoping Trent has a small archive of jingles he's rewritten just for fun, for like Tucks medicated pads, or stool softeners or something

Every NIN song starts as a jingle then he fills in the worse "real" lyrics later cause the label makes him.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

polyester concept posted:

drat trent is winning awards now he be really selling out

So what are you waiting for?
Make good all your bad pores
It'll fix what is wrong with you
Go for La Mer

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Walrus posted:

*bursts into apartment*

what's that smell.. that smell, what's that smell

It's very familiar, I can't put my finger on it, it's very familiar

*leaves apartment*

(from outside) .... "THE BEACH!!!"
:ocelot: :lol:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

He just wants the CONGECT (Clio, Oscar, NAACP Image, Grammy, Emmy, CMA, Tony)

The acronym needs some work

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Netflix has a documentary about the school admission scandal called Operation Varsity Blues and it is scored by Atticus Ross

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Al from Ministry did jingles back in the day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBWSm3dQpvk

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Good ole uncle Al

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Kinda wish they'd do an interview and talk about what they're doing now with NIN. Are they still doing the collaborations album or did they go in a different direction? It seems like the new way of doing things is just dropping albums practically out of nowhere.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i hope we dont get any more instrumentals

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

polyester concept posted:

i hope we dont get any more instrumentals

I thought that but then Ghosts V and VI were better than most of 1-4 imo. I just want a vinyl release already damnit.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

I thought that but then Ghosts V and VI were better than most of 1-4 imo. I just want a vinyl release already damnit.

This, but the opposite. That is I was let down by the lack of creativity on the most recent Ghosts. It's very hard to tell one track from one of the 40 other tracks from those two volumes. The first set had tracks with a lot more experimentation and a wider set of instruments. The second set seemed to be drone guitars for nearly all the tracks.

Though I want a physical release of the second set too, since I'm trying to get all the Halos. :shepspends:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

IUG posted:

Though I want a physical release of the second set too, since I'm trying to get all the Halos. :shepspends:

I think I have most released halos on CD. I know I'm missing two of the three We're In This Together Now singles and Further Down The Spiral V1 (since V2 was the UK/EU version, only one I ever bought).

On vinyl I've got all the albums (including Broken with the separate 7" for Physical/Suck, and the recent EP trilogy) apart from With Teeth, which I only just realised was missing and it's sold out everywhere - even the rerelease. Also got Deviations and the Quake soundtrack, and a handful of singles (I think Sin, Head Like A Hole, a couple of different versions of Survivalism and Capital G). I also have the deluxe Ghosts I-IV with the dvd and blu-ray audio release (not the $300 mega deluxe one, the regular deluxe one) and the 5.1 version of The Downward Spiral, plus a fan-made 5.1 version of Year Zero which is very good.

My best mate was in a charity shop when some guy turned up with several boxes of CDs and records to donate, including every Halo up to and including The Fragile on CD and most of them on vinyl too. He asked the guy if he'd be willing to sell them instead of donating them, and got the entire lot for £50. I've been insanely jealous ever since.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Couldn't he have just bought them from the charity shop?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

stev posted:

Couldn't he have just bought them from the charity shop?

For a lot more, probably yes. A lot of places are pretty savvy and will look up prices of things.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Soul keeps dominating the award circuit. Reznor, Ross and Batiste adds the BAFTA to their list

https://www.bafta.org/film/awards/2021-nominations-winners#soul---original-score

For the record, it’s their first award there as The Social Network wasn’t nominated and lost TGWTDT to The Artist

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I loved the Mank soundtrack, is Soul even better?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Island Nation posted:

Soul keeps dominating the award circuit. Reznor, Ross and Batiste adds the BAFTA to their list

We glossed over this before, but TR+AR have 2/5 slots in the Oscars' "best original score" category:

crazy

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's quite strange to live in a time when Trent Reznor is a prolific and honored Hollywood composer.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

algebra testes posted:

I loved the Mank soundtrack, is Soul even better?

This song gives me chills every time. It's like a track from Disney's Ghosts. Love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtcPriBV65U

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's quite strange to live in a time when Trent Reznor is a prolific and honored Hollywood composer.

I felt this way about Clint Mansell after growing up listening to Pop Will Eat Itself.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Pontificating rear end posted:

We glossed over this before, but TR+AR have 2/5 slots in the Oscars' "best original score" category:

crazy

Here's another, Bernard Hermann was nominated twice in 1941 for Best Score of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture. He lost for Citizen Kane but won for The Devil and Daniel Webster. It was his only Oscar

Unlike this year, this was out of TWENTY nominees and that doesn’t include the additional TEN for Best Scoring of a Musical (Dumbo won that one)

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
For what it's worth, ixi music was noted by YouTube today as a artist on the rise (at least for me)so somone was paying attention.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I binged all her stuff last week. I know nothing about music theory other than stuff I've picked up from other channels like hers, and think she definitely does the best job of explaining it so a layman can understand it.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
More industry awards for Soul:

Annie Award for Best Music - Feature

https://deadline.com/2021/04/annie-awards-2021-winners-list-livestream-animation-1234734559/

Cinema Audio Society Award for Motion Picture - Animated. Noteworthy since Atticus (& 6 other people) gets it for being a scoring mixer but NOT Trent or Jon

https://deadline.com/2021/04/cinema-audio-society-awards-winners-sound-mixing-cas-1234732941/

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Quote-Unquote posted:

I felt this way about Clint Mansell after growing up listening to Pop Will Eat Itself.
:same: I pretty much wore out my Dos Dedos CD growing up and then suddenly the dude's working with Kronos Quartet. I imagine Oingo Boingo fans felt the same way about Danny Elfman.

Island Nation posted:

For what it's worth, ixi music was noted by YouTube today as a artist on the rise (at least for me)so somone was paying attention.
Her analysis of time signatures on The Becoming is fantastic. Her Ruiner video was great too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trent and Atticus (and Jon Batiste) on the Oscar stage accepting for Soul :swoon:

e: https://twitter.com/ssunspotss/status/1386462610837544963

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 26, 2021

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope Trent Reznor gets real dad fat and keeps his hair greasy looking and long.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1386530074950701057

:bisonyes:

Can't wait for more NIN!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A new album? Dammit Trent, that award-winning musical isn’t writing itself!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Mierenneuker posted:

A new album? Dammit Trent, that award-winning musical isn’t writing itself!

Given they like owe Disney a album after Hesitation Marks was on Columbia, let's see what Disney is developing for Broadway...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Theatrical_Productions#Upcoming_productions_2

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland or Father of the Bride apparently

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Year Zero would totally work as a stageplay especially if they incorporated multimedia from the early 2000s Bush-era paranoia and we're probably just far enough removed from that for a look back to be hailed as a visionary experience but also The Downward Spiral is begging to be some avant-garde Lynchian experience

He could also just do a semi-autobiagraphical retrospective that'd basically be a broadway best of
really play it up as some new wave wash out who turns to industrial, spirals into a horrible drug addiction, gets clean and is afraid they can't create anymore then culminate with the Mariqueen analogue and the hollywood breakthrough

There are options there even if he doesn't want to start from scratch

just imagine Kinda I want To as a soulful stripped down duet

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Still mad we never got the Year Zero HBO series or YZ2.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Still mad we never got the Year Zero HBO series or YZ2.

The last little "trilogy" has a few bits that feel like hold overs from when it was YZ2.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love how genuinely bothered by success Trent seems.

"Yeah we did this thing for a film and I enjoyed it but why are you making be dress up and goto the red carpet I'd rather be in my man cave making hosed up music."

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

The last little "trilogy" has a few bits that feel like hold overs from when it was YZ2.
Add Violence's thematic connections to YZ are kind of obtuse and basically only identifiable if you scrutinise the packaging + videos, but they're there.

We're coming up on the setting of YZ's story (2022) so if there's ever gonna be a "right" time for him to properly revisit the concept, it's now.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pretty good posted:

Add Violence's thematic connections to YZ are kind of obtuse and basically only identifiable if you scrutinise the packaging + videos, but they're there.

We're coming up on the setting of YZ's story (2022) so if there's ever gonna be a "right" time for him to properly revisit the concept, it's now.

NIN's worst stuff are the bits that call back to previous works. I hate fan service and the references to YZ were scuttled because it was too obvious and predictable. Anything not new and forward thinking is pandering and a waste of time, IMHO. If I have to sacrifice a TV show (or a stage play that will NEVER happen) for something fresh and current, so be it.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

obeyasia posted:

NIN's worst stuff are the bits that call back to previous works.

"Only" will remember that, and knows where you live.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Came Back Haunted feels like a callback song and it owns so theory debunked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Island Nation posted:

More industry awards for Soul:

Annie Award for Best Music - Feature

https://deadline.com/2021/04/annie-awards-2021-winners-list-livestream-animation-1234734559/

Cinema Audio Society Award for Motion Picture - Animated. Noteworthy since Atticus (& 6 other people) gets it for being a scoring mixer but NOT Trent or Jon

https://deadline.com/2021/04/cinema-audio-society-awards-winners-sound-mixing-cas-1234732941/

Can we change the thread title from Country award winner Trent Reznor to Annie award winner Trent Reznor please.