Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

smackfu posted:

Does anyone know why Wikipedia tends to have terrible photos of people on their articles now?

For example: the photo of the owner of Red Bull is a painting collage?! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Mateschitz

And a lot of celebrities are clearly bad photos taken at Comicon panels.
Photos of living people must be licensed under a CC-BY-SA or freer license. As most professional photographers are not willing to allow unlimited commercial use of their work, this means photos of living people are almost always bad amateur photos taken at public events. There used to be some slack on this, but there's now zero tolerance. I know a few cases where celebrities released selfies into the public domain just to get rid of a really bad Wikipedia photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fruits of the sea posted:

Did you link the wrong thing? Glyphosate is a common herbicide. Don't eat herbicide for your headaches lmao

E: also that graph lines up exactly with when public schools started special education programs and started testing for autism in students. Not that I would be surprised if glyphosate can contribute to autism, but the timing sure is convenient.

Right.

Also, global warming killed the pirates, as you can clearly see by the fact that the rise in the earth's average temperature is correlated with the decline in the number of pirates.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

along with ComicCon photos, you’ll also see a lot of celeb photos from when they visit military bases, because those pictures are taken by military photographers and in the public domain.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Right.

Also, global warming killed the pirates, as you can clearly see by the fact that the rise in the earth's average temperature is correlated with the decline in the number of pirates.

Yeah, I was actually responding to a post about false correlations, maybe I wasn't being clear enough :v:

To clarify, even though autism has been recognized for about a century now, it's taken a while for the medical establishment to get around to actually diagnosing it and you know, checking if kids have it on a larger scale. So a lot of those cases probably always existed albeit without a diagnosis. Of course there's not many documented folks with autism earlier, because the data hadn't been gathered. Testing in public schools ramping up in the early 90's for example. E: I don't think asperger's even made it into the DSM until a little later, which seems weird today.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 26, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Yeah, I was actually responding to a post about false correlations, maybe I wasn't being clear enough :v:

Right, sorry. I got the point you were making, I was trying to reinforce it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Hyperlynx posted:

Again, hard to tell whether you're parodying or being an idiot, but I feel it's worth pointing out that image has nothing to do with the point you're making.
Both a bit of parody and pasting the wrong link. You know, dumb stuff.

This might not be a small question, but I've noticed one site in particular I visit doesn't seem to be properly archived by Google. When I do a google search with site:photomacrography.net with phrases I know occur on the forums there I will get either no or very incomplete results. Is it just a typical issue if a site has lower traffic, or something more unusual?

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 26, 2021

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Bit of a preface, I swear I'm not an anti-vaxxer or whatever.

I've got one shot for the COVID vaccine, and I've got the next one on the 29th of this month. I also want to go to the zoo, because :iiam:.

Obviously I'm not going to go before I had the second shot, and I'll wear a mask whenever I go, but is there a rule of thumb about how long between the second shot and a trip to a populated area should not be? I just stopped myself buying tickets in advance because, oh yeah, one more shot, but now I'm :tinfoil: about getting folks sick because of the second shot, how the second shot hit like a mack truck compared to the first, etc.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

MisterBibs posted:

I've got one shot for the COVID vaccine, and I've got the next one on the 29th of this month. I also want to go to the zoo, because :iiam:.

Obviously I'm not going to go before I had the second shot, and I'll wear a mask whenever I go, but is there a rule of thumb about how long between the second shot and a trip to a populated area should not be? I just stopped myself buying tickets in advance because, oh yeah, one more shot, but now I'm :tinfoil: about getting folks sick because of the second shot, how the second shot hit like a mack truck compared to the first, etc.

The general rule with vaccines is that it usually takes about 2 weeks for your immune system to ramp up properly. Obviously this is going to vary from person to person but that's a good benchmark to go by.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

MisterBibs posted:

is there a rule of thumb about how long between the second shot and a trip to a populated area should not be?

Two weeks.

Pfizer’s vaccine’s efficacy was measured at one week, but the official line is two now, same as Moderna’s.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

As Inceltown said, two weeks is the rule of thumb. But also, you aren't going to infect anyone specifically because you got the vaccine. The vaccine does not make you contagious. It makes your body produce a specific component of the virus, which your body then uses as a sort of training dummy so that when the real virus shows up, your immune system can fight it effectively. But the component on its own is harmless -- the side-effects you feel from the vaccine are from the tax your immune system puts on your body, not from an infection. This comic is a pretty good analogy.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Not discounting what anyone else has said, but the effectiveness of vaccines also depends on what percentage of the people there are vaccinated. The vaccine is not a guarantee you won't get sick or can't spread the virus, but it significantly reduces the odds of both. Being in a zoo two weeks after your second shot where 80% of the people around you are vaccinated compared to one where 20% of the people around are you are vaccinated are two different scenarios so it's not just about your own status.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 26, 2021

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

To clarify, even though autism has been recognized for about a century now, it's taken a while for the medical establishment to get around to actually diagnosing it and you know, checking if kids have it on a larger scale. So a lot of those cases probably always existed albeit without a diagnosis. Of course there's not many documented folks with autism earlier, because the data hadn't been gathered. Testing in public schools ramping up in the early 90's for example. E: I don't think asperger's even made it into the DSM until a little later, which seems weird today.

When I was in school, there was a kid who spent their lunch hour every day making to scale pictures of various trains in MS Paint, pixel by pixel.

Nobody called him Asperger's, on the 'spectrum' or autistic at the time. It just wasn't part of our vocabulary. He was just the weird kid who painted trains lol. Nowadays he'd have that label slamdunked, I'm sure.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Scarodactyl posted:

This might not be a small question, but I've noticed one site in particular I visit doesn't seem to be properly archived by Google. When I do a google search with site:photomacrography.net with phrases I know occur on the forums there I will get either no or very incomplete results. Is it just a typical issue if a site has lower traffic, or something more unusual?

This can by any number of issues. Google will deindex or not index sites that violate their policies. New sites, and small sites, may not have clear links to each page on their site so Google has a harder time finding them to index. A site might have something in its robots.txt or .htaccess files blocking google's bots from some pages. If a lot of the site's content is multimedia, Google might not pick it all up, which is/was a big issue for sites made primarily via scripts or Flash. That site looks to be largely a forum, and Google can sometimes have issues with indexing everything on those, and anything not visible to a guest won't appear. Depending on the quality of the posts Google might also just decide it's spammy enough to not be worth it.

It's hard to say what the specific issue is without having access to dashboards and the ability to test things, but there are also a lot of guides out there for troubleshooting indexation issues if the site owner cares to figure it out.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Thanks. I guess I will try to bug the admin until he looks into it a bit. It's a great resource for this niche so having it be easier to search would be nice.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I don't think asperger's even made it into the DSM until a little later, which seems weird today.

Asperger's made it right back out of the DSM not long after, too.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
A couple days ago, I received a notice from my apartment management that their Insurance Company is doing 'quality inspections' of all of the units today and tomorrow. What does that mean, and what will they be looking for / doing? This is the first time they've inspected the place since I moved in ~5 years ago. Been in a bit of a panic cleaning; and I definitely have a few unreported problems that I was sorta apathetic about during the past year what with my depression and the covid crisis and all.

I live in Texas, if that's relevant at all.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 26, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mescal posted:

Asperger's made it right back out of the DSM not long after, too.

It’s not called asperger’s anymore because the current version of the DSM recognizes that there is a spectrum for neurodivergent traits from mild to severe. It wasn’t removed so much as renamed.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My neighborhood is still being built, and I've noticed a few letters inscribed into the concrete of the gutters that line up with utility stuff for each lot. So "S" is for sewage and "W" is where the water meter is. There are a couple places where there's a "V", but only a handful in the whole neighborhood. In the lot where the V is on the gutter, there's a concrete post about 3 feet high that also has a V on it. What does the V stand for? What is the post about? I'm in the US state of Georgia, if it matters.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Just a guess but Verizon and it's for telecommunications infrastructure.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Most likely location of a water shutoff valve imo.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jeza posted:

When I was in school, there was a kid who spent their lunch hour every day making to scale pictures of various trains in MS Paint, pixel by pixel.

Nobody called him Asperger's, on the 'spectrum' or autistic at the time. It just wasn't part of our vocabulary. He was just the weird kid who painted trains lol. Nowadays he'd have that label slamdunked, I'm sure.

Oh dang, he would probably have a big Insta following if he was doing pixel art trains today :3:

E:

Hyperlynx posted:

Right, sorry. I got the point you were making, I was trying to reinforce it.

s'all good, I misread it as sarcasm.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 26, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is there a way to block a youtube channel from showing up in the search results? I no longer wish to see the Dodo videos as they're PETA and gently caress PETA.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is there a way to block a youtube channel from showing up in the search results? I no longer wish to see the Dodo videos as they're PETA and gently caress PETA.

If YouTube is recommend their videos you can click the three vertical dots under the video and select "Don't recommend channel".

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's browser add-ons like Blocktube that can hide channels and what not.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Does anyone know where I could get some cheap eyeglass frames similar to this pair of Ray-Bans?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

NotNut posted:

Does anyone know where I could get some cheap eyeglass frames similar to this pair of Ray-Bans?

Like this?

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/laze-eyeglasses/1581?skuId=158125

Pull up some cheap glasses vendors and search for round frames.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's browser add-ons like Blocktube that can hide channels and what not.
i'd recommend against browser add-ons unless there's no other option. they're a regular malware/spyware vector and google is not good about finding them until long after the fact, often not until it's been reported to them. make sure you trust the developer

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Like this?

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/laze-eyeglasses/1581?skuId=158125

Pull up some cheap glasses vendors and search for round frames.

Those are pretty close, thanks. Though I wish it was from a seller that accepted insurance.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

NotNut posted:

Those are pretty close, thanks. Though I wish it was from a seller that accepted insurance.

You can file for reimbursement with your insurance. Sure it’s a pain, but the frames also cost like $20 instead of $200 at the eye doctor, where they’ll do the insurance stuff for you.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I recently started roller blading. What is the safest way to shave off speed when going down a hill? I don't care about looking cool, I just want to be able to go on bike paths without feeling like I'm going to smash into someone if they don't get out of the way. Currently, I do not feel safe so I have been avoiding the path altogether.

I've been told the heel brake is a fake solution, so I've been practicing t-stops at an empty parking lot nearby, but doing a t-stop seems impossible when I start picking up speed. Is this something that will just come with time?

I've been getting by by escaping into the grass when I start going too fast, but surely there must be a more practical solution to this? I do just fine when I'm on the main street, since I can slalom or do the pizza steps, but what about those really steep hills on a jogging path? How do people handle them?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Bioshuffle posted:

I recently started roller blading. What is the safest way to shave off speed when going down a hill? I don't care about looking cool, I just want to be able to go on bike paths without feeling like I'm going to smash into someone if they don't get out of the way. Currently, I do not feel safe so I have been avoiding the path altogether.

I've been told the heel brake is a fake solution, so I've been practicing t-stops at an empty parking lot nearby, but doing a t-stop seems impossible when I start picking up speed. Is this something that will just come with time?

I've been getting by by escaping into the grass when I start going too fast, but surely there must be a more practical solution to this? I do just fine when I'm on the main street, since I can slalom or do the pizza steps, but what about those really steep hills on a jogging path? How do people handle them?

Heel brake is perfectly fine but going down hill it's a way to manage speed, not stop. Same for T-stop, but T-stop gives you some control that the heel brake doesn't. Plow stop is good too but takes a lot of leg strength to be real effective, but again... only for speed management. The only way to truly stop on a significant slope is one of the slides like the soul slide or magic slide, and those are pretty advanced (I've got a few paths that are no-gos until I figure sliding out). Until then you just have to manage what you're comfortable with.

Also come say hi to the thread, we're all dealing with the same learning roadblocks https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961772

edit: That said, knowing how to bail onto grass or onto your knees are good skills to have, so don't pass them up. There's also no shame in walking down (or up) and uncomfortably steep hill.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 27, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

dupersaurus posted:

There's also no shame in walking down (or up) and uncomfortably steep hill.
Some motherfuckers are always trying to rollerblade uphill.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bioshuffle posted:

Drag stopping is what you're after till you get the more advanced stops down. This creates a bunch of uneven wear on your wheels if relied on too much though so definitely get working on other stopping methods. This will eventually become more of a way to control your speed when you get rid of the heel brake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-MbA6A7ufU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Since independence a bunch of Indian cities have had their names changed, mostly I think from 1980 on but I'm not sure. To what extent are these changes reflected in the actual every day usage by Indian people?

I ask because my dad, who was born in India and immigrated to the US in the 70s, always said Bombay even after they changed the name to Mumbai, and I feel like I read somewhere that a lot of the name changes were motivated by Hindu nationalism but I have no idea if that's actually true.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Since independence a bunch of Indian cities have had their names changed, mostly I think from 1980 on but I'm not sure. To what extent are these changes reflected in the actual every day usage by Indian people?

I ask because my dad, who was born in India and immigrated to the US in the 70s, always said Bombay even after they changed the name to Mumbai, and I feel like I read somewhere that a lot of the name changes were motivated by Hindu nationalism but I have no idea if that's actually true.

I don’t have an answer to that (and it’s an interesting question) but IIRC Bombay is an English version of the name the Portuguese called the city. I have no idea if that’s always the case but at least some of those name changes were replacing names coined by colonial powers.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I think the ones that changed a few years back (Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai) were de-Anglicisation, but there's definitely been some recently that are being changed from the names they were given in the 17th Century by the Mughal emperor, which were never changed by the British. They also seem to be places like Allahabad that are having their names changed.

yes it's 100% Hindu nationalism and targeted exclusively at Muslim place names

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!
Are there any programs -- free or low priced, I've not the budget for something hundreds of dollars -- that will take an MP4 file or whatever other video format and convert it to either MPEG dash of HLS files for streaming on devices such a Roku? It would be lovely if it has batch processing, but that's hardly necessary.

Edit: And yes, I know you can do it with FFmpeg, but it's too many steps. I'd rather something that could take the video file and spit out the several MPEG dash/HLS format with little effort on my part.

PersonFromPorlock fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 28, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Handbrake doesn't take a lot to learn, the times I've used it to do similar stuff I looked up a set of parameters to put in and had good results.

I bought a Bluray DVD planning on watching it on my Bluray drive on my PC, and discovered I didn't own it enough(?) to watch Blurays on it. So I ripped every single file off the disc, all of the episodes plus extras and menus in about fifteen minutes, using Handbrake.

Memento fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 28, 2021

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Hello friends. How the heck do I delete PMs on the awful app? Ty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ambaire posted:

A couple days ago, I received a notice from my apartment management that their Insurance Company is doing 'quality inspections' of all of the units today and tomorrow. What does that mean, and what will they be looking for / doing? This is the first time they've inspected the place since I moved in ~5 years ago. Been in a bit of a panic cleaning; and I definitely have a few unreported problems that I was sorta apathetic about during the past year what with my depression and the covid crisis and all.

I live in Texas, if that's relevant at all.

The idea is that the management firm pays insurance on the value of the apartment building, and what it would cost to repair or replace/rebuild. In order for the insurance company to make sure that any claim that comes through is accurate they need to do routine inspections. This also should, in theory, determine how much they charge to insure the building.

What this should mean is that some representative from the insurance company is going to go around to each apartment building and look for some things: Structural damage, general wear of the building, probably some basic plumbing/electrical stuff, probably some other stuff that I'm missing. It's possible that they may look to see about preparation against major weather events like tornadoes. To that point, part of it might have been spurred on by the weird snow that Texas experienced (and were not prepared for) this past winter.