Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I dropped the game for the whole of Scholomance and most of Darkmoon Faire, so I don't have much from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Kazakus into life steal golem into Hand of Adnai into +8/+8 Blessing spell is the most fun win condition when you're about to lose to Rush Warrior.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Among other decks designed to mostly not to win but to advance gameplay achievements, I've been taking a really watered-down version of Standard OTK DH into Wild to grind out the Sigil Achievement (holy poo poo this sucks, they better print another Sigil or two in the mini-set otherwise this cheevo sucks balls) and the Rank 3 achievement, and I'm trying to keep my MMR low so I can get to Turn 10 more often, but then a game like this happens:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/RBLNXRzBSaSyHzb9dFvri6

And now I've hit Diamond 5 rank floor :psyduck: goddamn wild is soft

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Are there any fun recipes focussed on tutoring and duplicating Greybough? Not necessarily winning but just creating that game state where theres like 2-3 of them and your opponent is like wtf

I made my own and its alright but im sure im missing strats to either tutor or double him. I have germination and that new taunt guy that pulls your biggest minion and thats mostly it. Also the double deathrattle guy.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I enjoy the OTK DH so for now I'm content to grind out the sigil achievement with just the flame sigil. I've also been doing some other achievement hunting lately. This imp theme deck I made isn't quite good enough to be real but it's fun to play while grinding through summoning 250 imps:

### Impasta
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 1x (1) Felosophy
# 2x (1) Flame Imp
# 2x (1) Malchezaar's Imp
# 2x (1) Wicked Whispers
# 2x (1) Witchwood Imp
# 2x (2) Apothecary's Caravan
# 2x (2) Imp Swarm (Rank 1)
# 2x (2) Imprisoned Scrap Imp
# 2x (3) Doubling Imp
# 2x (3) Fiendish Rites
# 2x (3) Imp Gang Boss
# 2x (3) Impferno
# 2x (4) Fiendish Circle
# 2x (4) Imp-losion
# 1x (7) Galakrond, the Wretched
#
AAEBAcn1AgLxvwPO0gMO3Q/wEby2Ap7xAvT3AoedA9OvA8e5A9fOA9DhA9ntA/TtA4SgBOagBAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Add Mad Summoner if you want to speed up achievement progress at the cost of losing 100% of your games.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I highly recommend grinding out the 0-cost Shadow achievement at the same time as the Imp one. There is even space in the deck to do another achievement at the same time, such as the Caravan one, or the 5-mana 1/1 deathrattle one, or even the watchpost one if you need it. Example:

### imp cheevo
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 2x (0) Ritual of Doom
# 2x (0) Sacrificial Pact
# 2x (1) Flame Imp
# 2x (1) Kobold Librarian
# 2x (1) Tour Guide
# 2x (2) Far Watch Post
# 2x (3) Dragonblight Cultist
# 2x (3) Fiendish Rites
# 2x (3) Man'ari Mosher
# 2x (4) Devoted Maniac
# 2x (5) Shield of Galakrond
# 1x (6) Kronx Dragonhoof
#
AAEBAf0GAuO0A/G/Aw6jAfLQAuisA/6uA6qvA9OvA5vNA9fOA5PeA43nA/foA9ntA/TtA4SgBAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I've been tinkering with my deathrattle hunter, because gently caress Mage.

### Rattle'n'roll
# Class: Hunter
#
# 2x (1) Flare
# 2x (1) Play Dead
# 1x (1) Tracking
# 2x (2) Freezing Trap
# 2x (2) Mad Scientist
# 2x (2) Phase Stalker
# 2x (2) Pressure Plate
# 2x (2) Snipe
# 2x (3) Horde Operative
# 2x (3) Nine Lives
# 1x (3) Ursatron
# 2x (4) Necromechanic
# 1x (4) Rinling's Rifle
# 1x (4) Spiritsinger Umbra
# 1x (5) Barak Kodobane
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 1x (6) Oblivitron
# 1x (6) Sylvanas Windrunner
# 2x (7) Darkmoon Tonk
#
AAEBAairBAiXCLkNycIC8ZYDtpwDj+MD5e8DqIoEC64GgAf3DZzNAvD1AvKWA5+lA/uvA4PiA+7xA+SfBAA=
#

The secret package is mostly a giant gently caress You to APM mage in particular, but pretty good at stalling out aggro in general until you can start tonking.

I'm really liking Taelan as a tutor, it's a great card. Barak Kodobane will always fetch you a Nine Lives, and a couple of other useful things. Umbra is actually pretty good as a soft taunt as well, don't be afraid to drop her on 4/5 if you need breathing room.

Against mage, hunter and paladin, mulligan for your secret hate/copy; in general you want secret tutors in your opening hand, but always keep Tonk. Never, ever not Tonk. (And be prepared for a beautiful rage-concede if someone drops it on board with a rat for you!) Priest or Warlock, hold Sylvanas.

Face is normally the place.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 26, 2021

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
im new to this game and loving it, but all the terminology in this thread has me a little lost

what's roping? It sounds like a euphemism for cumming

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

im new to this game and loving it, but all the terminology in this thread has me a little lost

In card games it means to play right up until the alloted time for your turn. This is very literal in Hearthstone - there's a fuse that goes down as you take your time until it hits the end turn button and automatically ends your turn. I've seen it used before as bad sportsmanship to try and force a concede by boring your opponent with long waiting times until they can play their cards.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

e;fb

You have approximately 60 seconds to complete a turn. in the last 10 seconds, a rope starts to burn showing your turn is running out. Roping is when someone decides to let the turn timer run out (usually deliberately). Other times it's because you got 4D chess masters thinking of every possible option/outcome every turn.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
To add to that, don't sweat it too much if you have one or two turns a game where you get close to the 60 seconds - sometimes you do just have complex turns. It's really only bad etiquette if you're doing it every turn (either intentionally, in which case you're the biggest of assholes, or unintentionally - it's ok to think through a tough turn, but if you're doing it to play one card on turn 2 or something you're overthinking things).

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
I do feel that roping should take the time off your next turn, at least. Or, if you're in a point where there are no plays left (button is green) it automatically presses it for you after 5 seconds. That should cut down on malicious ropes.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Ohhhh I see. I'm only at the very lowest levels, just got outa Apprenticeship, and have already encountered that. Another one I've noticed is people deliberately taking an exceptionally long time to do the fatal hit. I try to be well mannered and let them get their win sometimes if it's inevitable in the next turn, rather than conceding. Am I being the dick? Should I actually be conceding?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

enki42 posted:

To add to that, don't sweat it too much if you have one or two turns a game where you get close to the 60 seconds - sometimes you do just have complex turns. It's really only bad etiquette if you're doing it every turn (either intentionally, in which case you're the biggest of assholes, or unintentionally - it's ok to think through a tough turn, but if you're doing it to play one card on turn 2 or something you're overthinking things).

Thanks for this, sometimes I worry I'm boring my opponent while my slow idiot brain works poo poo out haha.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Feel free to concede whenever, it's what's expected.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Olpainless posted:

I do feel that roping should take the time off your next turn, at least. Or, if you're in a point where there are no plays left (button is green) it automatically presses it for you after 5 seconds. That should cut down on malicious ropes.

It does, doesn't it? At least if you actually let it run out instead of getting right to the end and hitting next turn, your following turn starts roping immediately.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Ohhhh I see. I'm only at the very lowest levels, just got outa Apprenticeship, and have already encountered that. Another one I've noticed is people deliberately taking an exceptionally long time to do the fatal hit. I try to be well mannered and let them get their win sometimes if it's inevitable in the next turn, rather than conceding. Am I being the dick? Should I actually be conceding?

If they don't literally have lethal on board (i.e. if they're acting like they have a fireball in hand or something like that), they could be bluffing to try and cheat a win out of you. I'd wait it out in that case. But yeah, if they can kill you with a minion that's on board and clear to attack, no point in letting them BM you.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

When you say an exceptionally long time is it people just taking forever to make a minion hit your face or they're playing card after card for overkill? Some daily quests have you cast X amount of spells or play X amount of minions so I tend to cut someone some slack if that could be a daily. If it's become painfully obvious that I can't survive next turn I usually just concede.

Also I don't know if it's just me but back when the game started, you used to see a lot of people using the Well Played emote as a catch for "I have lethal and this is the last turn" although a lot of games are very silent now...

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

AnacondaHL posted:

I highly recommend grinding out the 0-cost Shadow achievement at the same time as the Imp one. There is even space in the deck to do another achievement at the same time, such as the Caravan one, or the 5-mana 1/1 deathrattle one, or even the watchpost one if you need it. Example:

### imp cheevo
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 2x (0) Ritual of Doom
# 2x (0) Sacrificial Pact
# 2x (1) Flame Imp
# 2x (1) Kobold Librarian
# 2x (1) Tour Guide
# 2x (2) Far Watch Post
# 2x (3) Dragonblight Cultist
# 2x (3) Fiendish Rites
# 2x (3) Man'ari Mosher
# 2x (4) Devoted Maniac
# 2x (5) Shield of Galakrond
# 1x (6) Kronx Dragonhoof
#
AAEBAf0GAuO0A/G/Aw6jAfLQAuisA/6uA6qvA9OvA5vNA9fOA5PeA43nA/foA9ntA/TtA4SgBAA=
#
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

Thanks, 67% win rate with this tonight. One more session and I'll have the imp quest done hopefully.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

DeadButDelicious posted:

When you say an exceptionally long time is it people just taking forever to make a minion hit your face or they're playing card after card for overkill? Some daily quests have you cast X amount of spells or play X amount of minions so I tend to cut someone some slack if that could be a daily. If it's become painfully obvious that I can't survive next turn I usually just concede.

Also I don't know if it's just me but back when the game started, you used to see a lot of people using the Well Played emote as a catch for "I have lethal and this is the last turn" although a lot of games are very silent now...

Yeah this is why I'm not sure about it. It seems BM but I've seen some achievements are focused on overkill and so on, so I guess they're after those.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

enki42 posted:

If they don't literally have lethal on board (i.e. if they're acting like they have a fireball in hand or something like that), they could be bluffing to try and cheat a win out of you. I'd wait it out in that case. But yeah, if they can kill you with a minion that's on board and clear to attack, no point in letting them BM you.

Nah I'm talking about when I've done my best to try to kill them but haven't done it, and I'm certain they can lethal me next turn (they have enough on board to lethal me up front). I know I've definitely lost. I try to give them the satisfaction of that last hit, but now I'm wondering if I'm being BM by not just conceding, maybe they see that as me being stubborn/wasting their time?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

enki42 posted:

It does, doesn't it? At least if you actually let it run out instead of getting right to the end and hitting next turn, your following turn starts roping immediately.

Only if no actions were taken during the previous turn, and if you then take an action the instant rope resets. You can do some really dickish things with it if you're so inclined.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
So if you swing at a razormane raider and it frenzies into your face it takes the weapon damage again. Even if you used the last charge of the weapon.

I guess it's because the frenzy resolves before you lose the last charge and your hero still has attack but it does feel a bit wrong.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
That interaction implies that the weapon charge being used happens in the stack after minion death so a theoretical minion that had a deathrattle "give you weapon +1 durability" could keep a 0 durability weapon alive if it died at the same time the weapon was used (Trueaim synergy?).

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Nah I'm talking about when I've done my best to try to kill them but haven't done it, and I'm certain they can lethal me next turn (they have enough on board to lethal me up front). I know I've definitely lost. I try to give them the satisfaction of that last hit, but now I'm wondering if I'm being BM by not just conceding, maybe they see that as me being stubborn/wasting their time?

Nah, I don't think that's BM to let someone kill you. As mentioned, there are definitely quests associated with doing damage or playing minions of certain types that someone could be aiming for. Secondly, it is satisfying to land the final blow. As long as you aren't dragging your death out (so end your turn quickly when there's no way you can avoid lethal), it's not BM (at least in my opinion).

Also if the way for them to get lethal is even a little complicated (say, depends on minion attack order), there's always the chance they make a mistake.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 26, 2021

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Gully Foyle posted:

Nah, I don't think that's BM to let someone kill you. As mentioned, there are definitely quests associated with doing damage or playing minions of certain types that someone could be aiming for. Secondly, it is satisfying to land the final blow. As long as you aren't dragging your death out (so end your turn quickly when there's no way you can avoid lethal), it's not BM (at least in my opinion).

Also if the way for them to get lethal is even a little complicated (say, depends on minion attack order), there's always the chance they make a mistake.

Also always a chance their computer crashes, their internet dies, or Blizz servers kick them out by accident.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I concede when the opponent shows they have lethal. Occasionally you'll be surprised that an opponent just doesn't have the ability to generate 1 damage from hand or something else trivial and you can survive into an answer. I've even had opponents miss minions currently on the board just going face lethal but that's so rare it's not really worth the time playing it out. It's like Chess, I'm not going to make my opponent play out an endgame where I've lost by force just on the tiny chance they make an insane blunder.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Flayer posted:

I concede when the opponent shows they have lethal. Occasionally you'll be surprised that an opponent just doesn't have the ability to generate 1 damage from hand or something else trivial and you can survive into an answer. I've even had opponents miss minions currently on the board just going face lethal but that's so rare it's not really worth the time playing it out. It's like Chess, I'm not going to make my opponent play out an endgame where I've lost by force just on the tiny chance they make an insane blunder.

I'll concede if it's something like Highlander Priest or APM mage where they've got the set up - or if it's just some turn 4 turbo aggro poo poo. You don't deserve to get the kill playing those.

An interesting or unusual deck, sure, I'll let them get the lethal.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Strawberry Panda posted:

Also always a chance their computer crashes, their internet dies, or Blizz servers kick them out by accident.
Not trying to knock you specifically but I always groan when I hear people say this. It's a real old mindset hugely popularized by streamers who post clips of the one extremely lucky case from a whole day of games and then tell you to never concede. People that follow this point to the like +2 wins they get over the course of a year and say the system works. That's bad imo because the time you waste for these tiny margins is heavily outweighed by how much more games you could play and win if you just concede when you've lost

Outside of casual I move on as soon as the game is decided and expect everyone else to do the same. Casual is different because people often quest or play funky decks there. I didn't enjoy pinging myself down over 5 turns with renounce lock yesterday while my opponent had lethal on the board the whole time but I knew they were questing so I played along

E: Another part to this is the recent change to the triggers for the play 3 games as class x quest. To be safe you basically have to let your opponent kill you, kill them/have them concede, or kill yourself

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 26, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
People conceding when they know they’ve lost makes some achievements really annoying to get too, like the one for killing your opponent with Mankrik.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Not trying to knock you specifically but I always groan when I hear people say this. It's a real old mindset hugely popularized by streamers who post clips of the one extremely lucky case from a whole day of games and then tell you to never concede. People that follow this point to the like +2 wins they get over the course of a year and say the system works. That's bad imo because the time you waste for these tiny margins is heavily outweighed by how much more games you could play and win if you just concede when you've lost

Outside of casual I move on as soon as the game is decided and expect everyone else to do the same. Casual is different because people often quest or play funky decks there. I didn't enjoy pinging myself down over 5 turns with renounce lock yesterday while my opponent had lethal on the board the whole time but I knew they were questing so I played along

E: Another part to this is the recent change to the triggers for the play 3 games as class x quest. To be safe you basically have to let your opponent kill you, kill them/have them concede, or kill yourself

I get that. But I also think watching the other player get lethal is fun. If I'm clearly behind with no cards in my hand and no way to come back, I'll concede, just because the game is no longer fun. But if I'm still having fun, I'll stay in the game, even if my chance of winning is very slim.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Strawberry Panda posted:

But if I'm still having fun, I'll stay in the game, even if my chance of winning is very slim.
Yeah that's fair

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I'll personally concede if there's a straightforward lethal on the board (and it's not an exciting or cool lethal), but I don't think making someone play out the lethal is BM in any way. There's the quest issue someone mentioned, and sometimes actually performing a combo or whatever is part of the fun, and it kinda sucks when you have a combo lined up and the opponent concedes before you can pull it off.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 26, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I think the whole fetish about "getting the kill" plays into a ton of toxic behaviours - a concede is as good as sending damage to someones face. The game has been played and won exactly the same. Generally if you are going to play a cool combo your opponent won't have anticipated it and you get to play it out anyway (although it does always surprise me that I never get a concede when slamming down Mecha'thun, like hombre I'm a Rogue who just destroyed my deck in 7 turns you think I didn't plan this?).

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Flayer posted:

I think the whole fetish about "getting the kill" plays into a ton of toxic behaviours - a concede is as good as sending damage to someones face. The game has been played and won exactly the same. Generally if you are going to play a cool combo your opponent won't have anticipated it and you get to play it out anyway (although it does always surprise me that I never get a concede when slamming down Mecha'thun, like hombre I'm a Rogue who just destroyed my deck in 7 turns you think I didn't plan this?).

Everyone knows that conceding a mechathun or 4 horsemen kill just isn't done.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

If someone is deliberately roping me from turn 1 I rope them right on back and wait to see how quickly they stop that poo poo, I've had some particularly toxic gamers recently but I don't much care since I play HS to waste time anyway

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Yeah you rope me I rope right the gently caress back. An extra 60 seconds to pet the cat, grab a new drink, etc.? No problem on my end.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I had someone immediately add me after our match (I won), I didn't add him, but I wonder what nice things he was going to say about me.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

obi_ant posted:

I had someone immediately add me after our match (I won), I didn't add him, but I wonder what nice things he was going to say about me.

You're no fun at all. People do this to me all the time when I lose and I legit just want to say "gg nice deck." but the rage adds are also fun so I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I get not wanting to be harassed (and let's be fair, 95% of the people adding you immediately after a match are there to yell at you), but if you have the stomach for it, people raging after losing are always hilariously inept at it.