Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Man I really want to play this but I dont have a group... crew. and I can only play once in a while. are there like PvE servers or something? what's the lifespan of people going solo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Nuclear War posted:

Man I really want to play this but I dont have a group... crew. and I can only play once in a while. are there like PvE servers or something? what's the lifespan of people going solo?

You sink. You respawn. You sink again. There is an official sot discord and a community sot discord and you'll find ppl there that will be at least minimally capable of video gaming unlike the window lickers from open crew.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
meh. I just wanna sail a wee bit, build some pirate stuff and log off after an hour

Edit: and crucially, come back two days later to find my stuff

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
No stuff is persistent in this game and for that matter you don't build stuff at all. You hang out on very expendable ships and occasionally meet other players and get involved in practical demonstrations of how expendable exactly.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Nuclear War posted:

It's definitely a bit trickier solo, but it's not too much harder. You definitely aren't going to be fighting skeleton galleons or ghost fleets or clearing forts solo without a shitton of practice but pretty much everything else is still viable.

You just need to be extra attentive to scanning the horizon for possible player ships that might be coming your way, and try to be ready to bug out if you think they're coming for you. Remembering that a sloop sailing directly into the wind with its sails pointed forward will outrun brigs and galleons helps too.

PhuzzyBond on youtube has some good guides for solo slooping too: https://youtu.be/kB_qrvosGgQ

Also there's the sea of thieves goon discord (that I can't find the link for at the moment) if you want to group up.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Discord server is at the bottom of the OP.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
One of the other big things I've found going solo is that you need to have more care about selling things frequently: you're going to have a harder time in battles (although it's not impossible to survive and win!), so you should be planning to cash in at least the most valuable things relatively frequently.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Merijn posted:

People who tell other people they can only play the game in their 'correct' way suck rear end, in my opinion.

Exploiting a system so you can more easily troll a video game server with an unfair advantage is actually more suck rear end but you can justify it however you like. Unless that dude who wants to group is only doing it for pve, in which case it's just boring but totally fine.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Don’t virtually all the alliance server people do it so they can PvE with less or no chance of getting sunk?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Ah yes, the "exploit" of... working with another crew.

In a game with achievements and rewards specifically for working with other crews.

And a system for raising a flag that explicitly states "we are working together with another crew" and lets you share rewards that way.

:psyduck:

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Icedude posted:

In a game with achievements and rewards specifically for working with other crews.

And a system for raising a flag that explicitly states "we are working together with another crew" and lets you share rewards that way.

Except the wonderful thing about this is you can never truly trust another crew you met on the open sea. I've seen countless "alliances" betrayed, back stabbed, or other wise fall to shambles. Tentative truces are what make this game interesting, unique and fun. Hell I've gotten alliances to turn on each other. Subterfuge is possible when no one 100% trusts one another.

Edit: watch this for example: https://v.redd.it/972b299ihqu61 . It would be really lame if he did that and they said "we exploited a matchmaking loop hole and we're all in discord together, but nice try!"

Teaming in most games is ban able if it's outside emergent teaming with randoms. Look at any battle royale, most of those games allow teaming if it's in the moment, but abusing matchmaking to stack with a team of friends is something you can get banned for because it's way way less fun for everyone else.

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 23, 2021

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I understand that's part of the design, but also some people just want to play with their friends (and have more than four people who want to play together).

Google tells me they are/were working on private servers, but it looks like at least during the alpha test, all progression was disabled. Kind of pointless to do PvE if you don't even get to keep your gold/rep.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

WhiteHowler posted:

I understand that's part of the design, but also some people just want to play with their friends (and have more than four people who want to play together).

Google tells me they are/were working on private servers, but it looks like at least during the alpha test, all progression was disabled. Kind of pointless to do PvE if you don't even get to keep your gold/rep.

If people want to play with their friends to do PvE I don't think that's a problem. But if people are teaming to do pvp that is lame as hell.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Icedude posted:

Rare have said, on many many occasions, that SoT is a PvPvE game. There is fighting against AI threats, and fighting with other players. You're free to like/dislike any of those. Everyone is. You prefer pvp? Sure, do that. You prefer pve? Then do that. You prefer sailing around naked with a chicken on the capstan to talk to about bitcoin? Nobody is stopping you. Tools not rules.

Just don't tell people how to play the game. Let everyone play it however they want. Don't be a dick.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
they let you backstab allied players for good reason

like lol you can basically do whatever you want in this game until you get checked by someone or something. once you learn the game inside-out and how mechanics are balanced, it feels like the devs very much encourage players to try and get away with whatever they can get away with - regardless of if you're pvp focused, hunting for gold, doing tall tales or just going where the waves take you like a proper bilgerat

its literally the spirit of the game and why it rules

with a bit of luck, a resourceful player doesn't even need a ship

edit: also exceptionally skilled PvPers are much rarer than PvErs. Get a rowboat and bailout with what you can if you think you're gonna get your rear end kicked. it can often be more fun and exciting than whatever pve poo poo you're doing running smoothly. a ship being chased generally has the advantage of dictating the pace of a fight once they know how to play the strengths of their ship/crew/resources against the enemy.

there are several ways to gain a slight edge which in such a casual and slow burning game as this really adds up no matter what random server or crew you end up on

Thief fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 24, 2021

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Thief posted:

Get a rowboat and bailout with what you can if you think you're gonna get your rear end kicked. it can often be more fun and exciting than whatever pve poo poo you're doing running smoothly

when you're playing solo the worst thing that can happen is a PvP brig starts chasing you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJkKEP62jaM

rowboats rule

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Thief posted:

when you're playing solo the worst thing that can happen is a PvP brig starts chasing you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJkKEP62jaM

rowboats rule

lol did they lose sight of you? that's awesome

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

lol did they lose sight of you? that's awesome

yeah it can be really hard to chase rowboats even in a sloop. a decent crew can catch a rowboat in open water but if they aren't careful they'll lose sight of it and have to start over which often happens repeatedly

they can sometimes break line of sight in the waves which makes tracking them difficult and change direction very quickly

lol one time i was camping at Cannon Cove while a sloop was there and eventually managed to steal their rowboat when they were bringing the ship around to gather what bits of loot they had:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa2YIwINPG8

they guessed which outpost i was at and eventually caught up with me just moments after i sold whatever i took. instead of murdering me they talked to me and we ended up becoming friends and i rode around on their boat for a while. stuff like that is what i love about this game. whenever i see them online now i can join their crew. this is my favorite multiplayer game when it comes to player interaction because you never know exactly what's going to happen.

just wish there were more ppl on a server. i spend most of my time doing laps around the map specifically looking for other players and seeing where it goes from there. more often than not they aren't even interested in PvP except to protect their loot so the idea of PvE only servers seems pretty silly

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Thief posted:

just wish there were more ppl on a server. i spend most of my time doing laps around the map specifically looking for other players and seeing where it goes from there. more often than not they aren't even interested in PvP except to protect their loot so the idea of PvE only servers seems pretty silly

I wouldn't mind if something was done to make the map smaller. I'm a solo slooper (like you?) so most of my encounters are exploratory violence and take it from there.

I'm usually doing PvE stuff if I'm grouped and any pvp is more incidental. I like a lot of the PvE stuff in this game, and the whole defend your haul aspect.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Last Friday I bit the bullet and said to my buddy "let's do just pvp tonight". Reaper emissary, sails, no mission, just attack people. Literally every ship avoided us, and we were just two scrubs on a sloop. All in all we sank 3 brigs, didn't get any loot, but killed two megs in quick succession and sold everything at Reapers Hideout. It was kinda fun actually. Might do it again.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Merijn posted:

Last Friday I bit the bullet and said to my buddy "let's do just pvp tonight". Reaper emissary, sails, no mission, just attack people. Literally every ship avoided us, and we were just two scrubs on a sloop. All in all we sank 3 brigs, didn't get any loot, but killed two megs in quick succession and sold everything at Reapers Hideout. It was kinda fun actually. Might do it again.

One thing to remember; reaper 5 lets you see other emissaries on the map. You can get level 5 pretty fast if you can blow through 1 or 2 pve map events and then start the hunt. Flameheart will also help you supply up at the beginning of a session and if you pick up most of the loot you'll be 5 by the end, or close enough that grabbing loot from barrel debris as you hunt will get you there. Plus the special flameheart cannonballs which are always fun to unleash on a galleon after a ballastball.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I particularly like the Lost Soul cannonball.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My crew did the second Tall Tale tonight, and we had a harrowing experience when we ran into a couple of players at Plunder Outpost who seemed really intent on fighting us. I'm fairly confident our brig could have defeated their sloop, but we were hauling our quest turn-in items, and we didn't want to risk re-doing the Tall Tale leg.

So we led them on a merry chase around the seas, eventually getting the wind behind us and losing them in some dense fog. It was the first time I actually felt invested in getting away from other players. We don't usually go looking for fights, but at worst we lose some easily replaced treasure.

To cap off the night, we decided to tackle a skeleton sloop we spotted on the horizon. We pulled up next to it and fired four times - one firebomb and three regular cannonballs. And they sank without even getting a shot on us! I guess it's possible the ship had already taken on water from a previous conflict, but I've never seen a skelly ship go down that fast. They dropped an absolute ton of treasure, too.

It was a really fun, exciting night overall.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

WhiteHowler posted:

It was a really fun, exciting night overall.

This and so many other stories in this thread are awesome. Usually if I cancel and restart the tall tale the quest item will appear on the voyage table, but I wonder if it would spawn briggsy's skull or make me kill her again.

Sekhmnet posted:

One thing to remember; reaper 5 lets you see other emissaries on the map. You can get level 5 pretty fast if you can blow through 1 or 2 pve map events and then start the hunt. Flameheart will also help you supply up at the beginning of a session and if you pick up most of the loot you'll be 5 by the end, or close enough that grabbing loot from barrel debris as you hunt will get you there. Plus the special flameheart cannonballs which are always fun to unleash on a galleon after a ballastball.

This is a lot of fun, sailing around as a bloodthirsty reaper is exciting. My problem lately is I find a lot more targets without the flag, smart players with big hauls watch the map like hawks. Se la vie I guess. The new season has had a lot of big fights contesting the FoF though, I should really start flying the flag again. Good pirating advice bro.

I don't roll with a crew though, if I get sunk I try hiding a few valuable pieces of loot and collecting it after the other parties have sailed off with the majority.

Shuka fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 27, 2021

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Once you have the final item from a Tall Tale then there's no problem with cancelling the Tall Tale and starting it again later, as the item you need to hand in will spawn on the table. Makes it slightly less stressful if you end up getting chased!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
At that point, we had collected the midpoint item from an island but had not turned it in, so it hadn't saved our quest status yet. If we'd lost it, I assume we'd have to go find it again.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Ah yeah, there can be some long chunks in the middle before a checkpoint pops up.

Gino_Felino
Feb 6, 2014
Something funny happened to me last night.

I was on some island - just passing the day when I hear this voice saying "Hey, can you hear me friend!? Push Alt and get out your megaphone!"

So I pull out my megaphone and say: "Hey whats up?" He says, "Someone destroyed my ship and now I can't get back to it. Do you know how I get back to my ship?" I've only been playing a couple of days but I think you can just swim out to the ocean and a mermaid will transport you? Anyway, I say, "Where are you?" (I couldn't see where he was). He just says, "I'm in front of you!"
I look around and see a rowboat next to my ship but I can't see him and he doesn't say anything after that so I go about my business, thinking maybe he logged off.

So I go walking around the island, decide to do some fishing in a pool somewhere inland. All of a sudden, from behind the cliff, I see my ship just sailing down the coast. So I leg it, I start running after it, thinking how futile this endeavour might end up. The guy keeps crashing into a bunch of rocks trying to get away and I manage to catch up, but he does one final U turn and sails off. I think, what the hell and start swimming after him. A mermaid shows up and teleports me to my ship - except theres no-one onboard - it's slowly sinking and I die. The whole interaction was just ludicrous

Anyway, what I really want to ask is if theres an easy way to get a decent hull livery other than paying 49000 coins?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Shuka posted:

This and so many other stories in this thread are awesome. Usually if I cancel and restart the tall tale the quest item will appear on the voyage table, but I wonder if it would spawn briggsy's skull or make me kill her again.

Yeah stories like that are why PVP in this game is absolutely necessary. Other players trying to mess with you makes victories way more memorable

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Gino_Felino posted:

Anyway, what I really want to ask is if theres an easy way to get a decent hull livery other than paying 49000 coins?

Pay real money for one from the emporium? :v:

I know you can get the Ashen Dragon hull for completing the Heart of Fire tall tale for the first time, which looks good but also does glow in the dark so not good for being sneaky. I know you can get the Morningstar hull from another tall tale but can't remember which, and it might be for doing the tall tale 5 times and getting all the journals.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Stealing other people's ships and smashing them into rocks and other people's ships is what I play this game for.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Icedude posted:

Pay real money for one from the emporium? :v:

I know you can get the Ashen Dragon hull for completing the Heart of Fire tall tale for the first time, which looks good but also does glow in the dark so not good for being sneaky. I know you can get the Morningstar hull from another tall tale but can't remember which, and it might be for doing the tall tale 5 times and getting all the journals.

Don't worry about ship cosmetics being glowy. By the time those effects render, your ship is going to be so close they're going to see you regardless of what your ship looks like. Only the ship lanterns make you more visible from far away.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Pattonesque posted:

Yeah stories like that are why PVP in this game is absolutely necessary. Other players trying to mess with you makes victories way more memorable

The same effect could be done in PvE, just have skeleton/ghost ships chase you down when you have a quest item sometimes.

If you could just flag yourself for PvP or PvE servers, I'd probably do each about 50% of the time. Sometimes I'm down for shenanigans, sometimes I just wanna do a chill voyage and not worry about WEEDLORDVEGETA69 stealing my poo poo.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Master Twig posted:

Don't worry about ship cosmetics being glowy. By the time those effects render, your ship is going to be so close they're going to see you regardless of what your ship looks like. Only the ship lanterns make you more visible from far away.

This might be a dumb question, but are the lanterns below deck visible as well? I've been turning them off just in case, but it'd be nice to have more light down there at night.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Master Twig posted:

It can matter sometimes, a few months back we got chased into the middle of the storm at night by some reapers. While we had no idea where they were, we had emissary sails on that lit us up like a beacon that let them keep hitting us

glitchwraith posted:

This might be a dumb question, but are the lanterns below deck visible as well? I've been turning them off just in case, but it'd be nice to have more light down there at night.

The glow effect can sometimes clip through the hull, but it's like Master Twig said; except for some rare circumstances, other players will already be too close for it to matter

Icedude fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 27, 2021

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The only reason I see to turn lanterns off is to make it harder for the other ships to assess what direction you're pointing in the dark. You can more easily determine what direction a ship is facing/turning if their lights are on.

Otherwise yeah, your ship silhouette contrasts much differently from everything else on the horizon so it's pretty easy to spot a ship in the distance, and once their lanterns render you've already known a long time that it's a ship.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

The same effect could be done in PvE, just have skeleton/ghost ships chase you down when you have a quest item sometimes.

objectively boring.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

WhiteHowler posted:

If you could just flag yourself for PvP or PvE servers, I'd probably do each about 50% of the time. Sometimes I'm down for shenanigans, sometimes I just wanna do a chill voyage and not worry about WEEDLORDVEGETA69 stealing my poo poo.

It is almost impossible to actually be killed by other players if you want to avoid barring some very extreme circumstances.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Gino_Felino posted:

Something funny happened to me last night.

I was on some island - just passing the day when I hear this voice saying "Hey, can you hear me friend!? Push Alt and get out your megaphone!"

So I pull out my megaphone and say: "Hey whats up?" He says, "Someone destroyed my ship and now I can't get back to it. Do you know how I get back to my ship?" I've only been playing a couple of days but I think you can just swim out to the ocean and a mermaid will transport you? Anyway, I say, "Where are you?" (I couldn't see where he was). He just says, "I'm in front of you!"
I look around and see a rowboat next to my ship but I can't see him and he doesn't say anything after that so I go about my business, thinking maybe he logged off.

So I go walking around the island, decide to do some fishing in a pool somewhere inland. All of a sudden, from behind the cliff, I see my ship just sailing down the coast. So I leg it, I start running after it, thinking how futile this endeavour might end up. The guy keeps crashing into a bunch of rocks trying to get away and I manage to catch up, but he does one final U turn and sails off. I think, what the hell and start swimming after him. A mermaid shows up and teleports me to my ship - except theres no-one onboard - it's slowly sinking and I die. The whole interaction was just ludicrous

There are all kinds of hidey spots on boats if you're wearing all black(tucker outfit). He knows about the megaphone but not the mermaid? That guy was bored and messing with you.

Ship cosmetics and weapon cosmetics can also be earned by twitch drops; it feels like maybe once a month they have a week or a weekend where if you watch an affiliated SOT streamer for 20-30 minutes you get something. I think you can also play battletoads(free if you have the xbox game pass) and get a really goofy full ship set - hull cannons sails wheel capstan sails all toad themed. You can also 'farm' ancient skeletons for premium coin but while there are people who espouse methods for doing this I'm pretty sure its all random chance. But really if you have an emissary flag up making 50 grand shouldn't take too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
If you have Twitch Prime (which means Amazon Prime), they're doing free cosmetics for the next few weeks. I just got a sweet wolf sail from it.