Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Android Apocalypse posted:

He does have the laser eye though, as that's his MK power?
Or is this :thejoke:?

They actually reference that exploit in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj6CgHe-kvI

It's not a cyborg laser eye. Just a laser eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's a petty annoyance I had about the new Godzilla vs King Kong movie.

It's petty because primarily the film is about two giant monsters punching each other, and then at the end teaming up to punch a giant robot version of one of the monsters, so the less humans they show, the better.

But for a film that spends a great deal of it's time in Hong Kong, there are no speaking parts, or indeed parts of any kind, for actual Chinese people. In fact there are very few shots of actual Hong Kong citizens. Even when running away from the monster fight, they are mostly in silhouette.

YAY for diversity in the casting of American movies.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Edit: never mind, I need to finish the thread before replying

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Who do y'all watch for bad movie reviews/commentary, if you do? I've got several favorites but I can never get enough of dunking on terrible movies

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

TheKennedys posted:

Who do y'all watch for bad movie reviews/commentary, if you do? I've got several favorites but I can never get enough of dunking on terrible movies

On YouTube I watch RLM, The Cinema Snob, Dark Corners Reviews, and The Bad Movie Bible.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Kano was really the main reason to watch Mortal Kombat. That actor was having the time of his life playing that guy.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Didn't they have some film where this room would grant your every wish, but the caveat was, you couldn't leave the house with said item or thing?

Then in theory couldn't you wish for a yet-to-be-written-or-published bestseller, make a hand copy in said house, then go sell the copy?

The Room, 2019. It was if you left the house with the item, it would rapidly age and crumble away or corode into uselessness. They got jaded relatively quickly about using the wishes to try for material wealth.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

TheKennedys posted:

Lately I just watch whatever Rifftrax puts out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TheKennedys posted:

I go into them blind and choose by slam picking whatever Prime Video thinks I'll like. The algorithm unfortunately has me pegged pretty well

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Push El Burrito posted:

Kano was really the main reason to watch Mortal Kombat. That actor was having the time of his life playing that guy.

I can easily imagine they didn't even give him a script. Just told him the general idea of what they were going for and he just said "STAND BACK BOYS I GOT THIS".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

Heh I didn't notice that.

There is nothing that would indicate that Scorpion knows anything but Japanese (though apparently he could understand Sub Zero speaking Chinese) so the onus would have to be on Cole understanding Japanese.

He outright says he doesn't understand Sub-Zero in the beginning. Sub-Zero can speak Japanese though.

Also Sub-Zero randomly speaks English in 1617 when he says "For the Lin Kuei" because what a dumb loving movie.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Len posted:

I go into them blind and choose by slam picking whatever Prime Video thinks I'll like. The algorithm unfortunately has me pegged pretty well

Same pretty much. Sometimes when I was feeling adventurous and exhausted most of the recommended list I'd go into the prime horror section and sort by most recent release date (which I can't seem to do anymore, or at least I can't figure out how). There are/were a LOT of probably triple digit budget horrible movies on prime to wade through and suffer through enjoy.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’m nearing the end of my first Breaking Bad rewatch, and there’s a couple of really cheap cabbagehead moments where characters are asked to behave in ways no human would in order to further the plot.

It’s not credible that before the purchase of the car wash, the amount of money to be laundered wasn’t discussed. You don’t enter willingly into a criminal enterprise like that without amounts being mentioned and no one on earth thinks you could pass $7.5 million through a frigging car wash.

Likewise Walter reacting badly to his cut of the take when he’s in partnership with Mike and Jesse in S5 isn’t believable. None of them would be ignorant of the running costs until the exact moment they came to divide the money up.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't think they were expecting to launder 7.5M through the carwash. More like they'd make themselves $100K for the first year and then start a franchise or something. Once that ball is rolling, laundering that volume of cash is not unreasonable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Same pretty much. Sometimes when I was feeling adventurous and exhausted most of the recommended list I'd go into the prime horror section and sort by most recent release date (which I can't seem to do anymore, or at least I can't figure out how). There are/were a LOT of probably triple digit budget horrible movies on prime to wade through and suffer through enjoy.

I enjoy the ones that are still at least fun. The ones that are bad but at least tried to tell a fun story or do something interesting. But like Selfie Man was just boring and uneventful and didn't seem to try to actually do anything.

It's why I like the Bad Ben movies so much, they're low budget and middling but there's enough enjoyable moments in them I've seen them all and bought a hoodie to support the guy

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Well I think Walt was salty about having to pay off Mike's guys more than anything else and also he sucks poo poo at crime

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Torquemada posted:

I’m nearing the end of my first Breaking Bad rewatch, and there’s a couple of really cheap cabbagehead moments where characters are asked to behave in ways no human would in order to further the plot.

It’s not credible that before the purchase of the car wash, the amount of money to be laundered wasn’t discussed. You don’t enter willingly into a criminal enterprise like that without amounts being mentioned and no one on earth thinks you could pass $7.5 million through a frigging car wash.

Likewise Walter reacting badly to his cut of the take when he’s in partnership with Mike and Jesse in S5 isn’t believable. None of them would be ignorant of the running costs until the exact moment they came to divide the money up.

I think it just didn't really hit Walt until he saw the actual pile of money vanish in front of him. And even then he didn't really get upset until the whole legacy cost part of it came up.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Inzombiac posted:

I don't think they were expecting to launder 7.5M through the carwash. More like they'd make themselves $100K for the first year and then start a franchise or something. Once that ball is rolling, laundering that volume of cash is not unreasonable.

Then why does Skyler react with incredulous awe when Walt makes his first cash delivery and say she can’t possibly launder so much money through a car wash.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Torquemada posted:

Then why does Skyler react with incredulous awe when Walt makes his first cash delivery and say she can’t possibly launder so much money through a car wash.
Because she's smarter than Walt

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I cannot imagine Walter was upfront with her about how much money he was bringing in so that was probably the first moment she had a real accounting how much there was.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Torquemada posted:

Because she's smart and he's an idiot jackass. Her plan would have worked if he wasn't such a shithead.

But then the plot couldn't happen, so...

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Inzombiac posted:

Because she's smart and he's an idiot jackass. Her plan would have worked if he wasn't such a shithead.

But then the plot couldn't happen, so...

If he wasn't such a shithead he would have Taken Elliot's money/Never left Gray Matter in the first place.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

New mk movie

Kano didn't get a cybernetic eye for the laser.

COMPLETELY ruined the movie and took me out of the story :colbert:

Guessing that even though Kano got taken out along with Goro & Sub-Zero later, they'll likely come back in a sequel. Sonya slamming that chunk of metal in his face gives them an excuse to bust out the half-metal cyborg eye later. Betting that Shang Tsung uses his soul powers to bring some of the dead back & introduce some other characters too, they haven't touched on a good chunk of the roster yet, including Shao Khan.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

nexus6 posted:

Carly firebombed a refugee home or something

they killed like, three camp guards. gently caress em

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Guessing that even though Kano got taken out along with Goro & Sub-Zero later, they'll likely come back in a sequel. Sonya slamming that chunk of metal in his face gives them an excuse to bust out the half-metal cyborg eye later. Betting that Shang Tsung uses his soul powers to bring some of the dead back & introduce some other characters too, they haven't touched on a good chunk of the roster yet, including Shao Khan.

I'm also wondering about the whole
Mark of the Dragon thing. Was it ONLY ever Scorpion's ancestors that had it, and if someone killed one of them, they received the mark? Or was it always a bunch of randos and then ALSO Scorpion's ancestors? Does Cole's daughter have a mark? Or will she get one if her dad dies or she gets old enough, even if she never learns how to fight?

And what if one of these "chosen ones" gets killed in a complete BS way, like a random mugging? Is some random murderer now chosen to go fight for Earthrealm? Or in an auto accident...we get a weird Mortal Kombat/Twisted Metal mashup?

I'm down for that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DrBouvenstein posted:

Mark of the Dragon thing. Was it ONLY ever Scorpion's ancestors that had it, and if someone killed one of them, they received the mark? Or was it always a bunch of randos and then ALSO Scorpion's ancestors? Does Cole's daughter have a mark? Or will she get one if her dad dies or she gets old enough, even if she never learns how to fight?

And what if one of these "chosen ones" gets killed in a complete BS way, like a random mugging? Is some random murderer now chosen to go fight for Earthrealm? Or in an auto accident...we get a weird Mortal Kombat/Twisted Metal mashup?

I'm down for that.

I mean, Kano got his not by being a world-class fighter so yeah any schmuck that gets a lucky stab could become a new champion.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm down for that.

Mortal Kombat, but all the champions are Burger King Kids and have absolutely no idea how to fight.

Now make that crossover nostalgia-bait DLC, Netherrealm Studios!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

Mortal Kombat, but all the champions are Burger King Kids and have absolutely no idea how to fight.

Now make that crossover nostalgia-bait DLC, Netherrealm Studios!

Ninja Turtles in Injustice style, they're all controlled as one giant blob of a group.

Maybe literally after Triborg's fatality. :v:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Anytime a familiar actor, not even a big time star but just a guy you know you’ve seen in other stuff, has a seemingly inconsequential part in a tv series it marks him as a person of interest for later. My wife was watching some police procedural show and a guy I recognized was interviewed in the first 5 minutes. His whole part took maybe 45 seconds but I knew he would turn out to be the bad guy because they wouldn’t have gotten him just for that non important bit

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Anytime a familiar actor, not even a big time star but just a guy you know you’ve seen in other stuff, has a seemingly inconsequential part in a tv series it marks him as a person of interest for later. My wife was watching some police procedural show and a guy I recognized was interviewed in the first 5 minutes. His whole part took maybe 45 seconds but I knew he would turn out to be the bad guy because they wouldn’t have gotten him just for that non important bit

The opposite thing happened with the movie of World War Z where they cut out the original ending in which his character actually did stuff so in the released movie Matthew Fox is in it for like 2 seconds.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I can easily imagine they didn't even give him a script. Just told him the general idea of what they were going for and he just said "STAND BACK BOYS I GOT THIS".

It wouldn't surprise me if he was just a huge fan of the first movie.

Push El Burrito posted:

It was one of the best "bad" characters of all time.

He's up there with Goggins in Predators. Phenomenal scene mastication.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

oldpainless posted:

It's automatically a satisfying twist if the murderer is revealed to be someone you've seen before though, 100% guaranteed :v:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

oldpainless posted:

Even if their name comes up in the credits too. I remember an episode of Criminal Minds where Tim Curry's name came up in the credits of the opening few seconds. Gee, I wonder who the psycho is this week?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I'm rewatching BSG and I had forgotten in S4 how everything gets incredibly bleak after they find Earth. And I get it, the show definitely sets the mood for the disappointment and the failure, but I don't think it had set the stakes for "well, now we're hosed", since the space caravan had already travelled a shitton of void and now they even have cylon tech on their side to find an habitable planet.

Also the Cylons were living like it was nothing on "just nuked" Caprica, but are somehow unable to live on a planet that has just trace radiation from 2k years before? Why didn't they settle in the planet where their people originally lived?

Also how boring most of the season is. I always thought that people were just pissed at the religious ending - that on a rewatch is immensely telegraphed, from end of S1/beginning of S2 - and I didn't remember S4 being so bad on my first watch. It does feel a bit like the last few seasons of GoT, although at least it's just one season instead of several. We even fast forwarded 90% of Baltar's sex cult stuff.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 10:03 on Apr 29, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

oldpainless posted:

I remember Leland Orser showing up for maybe fifteen seconds at the beginning of Bone Collector and I immediately realized he was the killer.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Push El Burrito posted:

If you’ve ever seen Superstore he plays the pharmacist and it’s the same thing, just seems like he’s having a blast playing the role

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

muscles like this! posted:

The opposite thing happened with the movie of World War Z where they cut out the original ending in which his character actually did stuff so in the released movie Matthew Fox is in it for like 2 seconds.

Likewise Andy Garcia is in Passengers.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think James Franco's role in Alien Covenant was reduced to "a picture that the protagonist looks at once."

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I watched Wine Country last night and of course it was awful, but whatever it's a straight-to-streaming no-budget SNL comedy. Nobody was expecting much.

But the writing is so nonsensical I would believe it was written by one of those deep learning AIs. They set up the six main characters to have story arcs, but only one does. And it's very minor, and not something the audience would care about (uh oh I'm too rich for brunch). All the rest either peter out without being resolved or resolve in a way that is completely unrelated to the established story.

The scene-to-scene flow is bonkers. Like one of the ladies has a crush on an artist so they all go to her art show. The scene ends up with all of them confronting a room full of millennials (actully zoomers but the target audience is too old to know the difference) about their generational differences, and they all stand up and clap. Another scene has them eating out at a restaurant and they get up to sing and do weird call-and-response comedy with the staff, the response to which is also everyone standing up and clapping. In yet another scene of the characters walking down the street to talk/bond, one of them breaks into a sprint and does parkour down the sidewalk. In an outdoor scene, one character is bitten by a snake so they all have to throw themselves down a hill for no reason. There are a half dozen dancing scenes where the cast dances awkwardly to music from when they were younger - and that is the whole scene. Like it doesn't arise from any organic situation.

The whole thing is a completely bizarre movie where causality no longer applies. Anything can happen in response to any other thing.

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 15:32 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

That Italian Guy posted:

I'm rewatching BSG and I had forgotten in S4 how everything gets incredibly bleak after they find Earth. And I get it, the show definitely sets the mood for the disappointment and the failure, but I don't think it had set the stakes for "well, now we're hosed", since the space caravan had already travelled a shitton of void and now they even have cylon tech on their side to find an habitable planet.

I took that as the survivors were just exhausted and mentally worn down at that point, and had no optimism left. But yes, the ending still sucks.

The overarching plot of BSG is nonsense, but I thought the individual episodes were tight, especially when they had to deal with messy realities: starvation, rebellion, mutiny. If they'd just ended mid search, while they were still trying to find a home, it would have been fine.

But no, the ending contorts itself trying to make sense after years of random plot twists.