Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd just need iTerm2 and kerberized ssh for the iPad to be able to do a day of work for me.

Every ssh client I've ever tried on iOS has been pretty bad, mostly because I need multiple sessions that last several hours. Kerberos support is pretty rare too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wait, can I somehow pair my OG Apple Pencil with the newer iPads that don't have a lightning port??

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait, can I somehow pair my OG Apple Pencil with the newer iPads that don't have a lightning port??

No, I am pretty sure you can't use OG Apple Pencil on a newer iPad with a Pencil 2 or vice versa.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Protocol7 posted:

No, I am pretty sure you can't use OG Apple Pencil on a newer iPad with a Pencil 2 or vice versa.

I am gonna fight Tim Apple.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The good news is that the Pencil2 is a huge quality of life/use/storage upgrade so while it's not cheap it's definitely worth the upgrade (IMO)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

most/all of the third-party pencils work with both v1 and v2 ipads, so the limitation is almost certainly in software, but there isn't really anything you can do about it

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Clark Nova posted:

most/all of the third-party pencils work with both v1 and v2 ipads, so the limitation is almost certainly in software, but there isn't really anything you can do about it

The only way to pair an Apple Pencil is by "docking" it. Either via the lightning port for Pencil1 or via the magnetic charging spot along the edge for Pencil2. If anything it's a hardware limitation on the part of the Pencil.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Proteus Jones posted:

The only way to pair an Apple Pencil is by "docking" it. Either via the lightning port for Pencil1 or via the magnetic charging spot along the edge for Pencil2. If anything it's a hardware limitation on the part of the Pencil.

USB-C iPad -> USB-C to Lightning cable -> That weird adapter that came with the Pencil 1 -> Pencil

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

AlternateAccount posted:

USB-C iPad -> USB-C to Lightning cable -> That weird adapter that came with the Pencil 1 -> Pencil

iOS would probably just be like "what are you, poor? buy a pencil 2" if you did make that happen.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

I have had my Pencil 2 unpair from my Air many times...it's kind of weird. Each time I have to delete the Pencil from Bluetooth THEN I can pair it again.

Apparently this is just a thing that happens.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I know it’s Apple and these things happen (it’s the screen causing it to be slightly bigger I assume) but this is pretty lol that the prior magic keyboard won’t work with the new one.

And yeah, probably not many people who have it are likely to be upgrading (because they recently got said last gen pro) but still kind of a miss.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/23/22399095/apple-12-9-inch-ipad-pro-2020-models-magic-keyboard-incompatible

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

I know it’s Apple and these things happen (it’s the screen causing it to be slightly bigger I assume) but this is pretty lol that the prior magic keyboard won’t work with the new one.

And yeah, probably not many people who have it are likely to be upgrading (because they recently got said last gen pro) but still kind of a miss.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/23/22399095/apple-12-9-inch-ipad-pro-2020-models-magic-keyboard-incompatible

i wanna see someone actually try it, tbh. the coverbuddy case is 1.5mm thick and works with the magic keyboard, so i’m having trouble picturing how an extra .5mm is gonna cause such a huge problem

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I wonder how hard this “doesn’t work” is. I used my 2018 iPad Pro keyboard cover for a while on my 2020 until I bought one that actually fit. The only problem was that the camera bump cutout didn’t fit so it was slightly separated from the iPad in that corner, otherwise electrically it worked just fine. Wonder if this is the same and there is actually enough tolerance in the system for it to just work.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh what the gently caress. This is kinda bullshit because that keyboard isn’t even that old

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m sort of kicking myself for buying a new 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 at the start of this year now. Is the M1 Pro expected to be a huge leap forward from the 2020 Pros?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’m sort of kicking myself for buying a new 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 at the start of this year now. Is the M1 Pro expected to be a huge leap forward from the 2020 Pros?

I have an M1 Mac and it’s a huge leap forward.

The M1 chip is pretty legit but I’m not sure how it translates vs other A series. It’s probably substantial imo

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I have an M1 Mac and it’s a huge leap forward.

The M1 chip is pretty legit but I’m not sure how it translates vs other A series. It’s probably substantial imo

I looked it up. The M1 and A14 use the same cores. The M1 has four performance cores and four power efficient cores while the A14 has 2 and 4 respectively. The M1 also has twice as many GPU cores. There are some cache size differences as well but cache hit performance isn’t going to be noticeable unless you are using certain types of datasets.

The M1 is clocked slightly faster but it’s a small and probably not very noticeable delta.

So, if you are doing more intensive processing the M1 will be noticeably better but if you are doing consumer stuff like surfing the web and watching Netflix you won’t see any difference at all.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Murgos posted:

I looked it up. The M1 and A14 use the same cores. The M1 has four performance cores and four power efficient cores while the A14 has 2 and 4 respectively. The M1 also has twice as many GPU cores. There are some cache size differences as well but cache hit performance isn’t going to be noticeable unless you are using certain types of datasets.

The M1 is clocked slightly faster but it’s a small and probably not very noticeable delta.

So, if you are doing more intensive processing the M1 will be noticeably better but if you are doing consumer stuff like surfing the web and watching Netflix you won’t see any difference at all.

I know it’s an awful, apples-to-oranges comparison, but I’ve heard the efficiency cores as described as “4 efficiency cores is roughly the power of 1 power core”, so you’re looking at maybe an almost 2-1 comparison.

Doing a 10 second geekbench search comparing the processor in the old iPad Pro to M1 seems to peg about a very rough 2-1 difference.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Old pro has an A12Z in it so comparing the M1 to the A14 seems like the wrong comparison

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

hatty posted:

Old pro has an A12Z in it so comparing the M1 to the A14 seems like the wrong comparison

comparing M1 to A12Z yields the scores I was talking about, I should clarify

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

Having an iPhone 12 Pro I can say that I strongly feel that the M1 blows the A14 out of the water as well.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Chrome is still going to be mud after about 10 open tabs isn’t it?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

The 1tb and 2tb models have 16gb of ram

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

hatty posted:

new air has the a14

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

AlternateAccount posted:

Does Chrome run that poorly on iOS? From what I understand, it's webkit based so it's essentially a re-skinned Safari.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I know it’s an awful, apples-to-oranges comparison, but I’ve heard the efficiency cores as described as “4 efficiency cores is roughly the power of 1 power core”, so you’re looking at maybe an almost 2-1 comparison.

If I want to extend my battery life while doing low power tasks, like being a dick on an internet message board, I assure you that the 1 watt core is better than the 14 watt core.

They serve different purposes so it's really not a good way to compare them at all.

quote:

Doing a 10 second geekbench search comparing the processor in the old iPad Pro to M1 seems to peg about a very rough 2-1 difference.

And then this is referring to a completely different CPU? Why? It's like the people who post in a recipe comments for roast chicken that they substituted in fish and they didn't like it.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 26, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
There's probably differences in how the power ramps up for both operating systems as well. I imagine it errs on the side of lower power usage on iPad OS for sake of battery life.

I have no facts to back that up, so it's probably not a thing, but still.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does Chrome run that poorly on iOS? From what I understand, it's webkit based so it's essentially a re-skinned Safari.

All browsers on iOS are basically reskinned Safari. None of them are quite as fast as Safari though, due to Apple restictions on the Javascript engine.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Yeah how much faster iPad Pro with M1 is to the previous two generations in regular use is definitely something I'm curious about too. Synthetic benchmarks aside, my A12X iPad Pro is just as fast as it ever was, which is fast enough for my creative purposes. The only time I'm waiting for stuff is waiting the 4 seconds for Hearthstone to load, and I can't imagine this will change that much, since I think most of that time is probably syncing with a server.

I imagine the new screen is significantly amazing though.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

chaosbreather posted:

Yeah how much faster iPad Pro with M1 is to the previous two generations in regular use is definitely something I'm curious about too. Synthetic benchmarks aside, my A12X iPad Pro is just as fast as it ever was, which is fast enough for my creative purposes. The only time I'm waiting for stuff is waiting the 4 seconds for Hearthstone to load, and I can't imagine this will change that much, since I think most of that time is probably syncing with a server.

I imagine the new screen is significantly amazing though.

By the numbers:

A12X/Z has 2666 CPU Marks
A14 has 3468 CPU Marks
M1 has 3640 CPU Marks

A12X GPU 1200 GFLOPS
A12Z GPU 1350 GFLOPS
A14 GPU 748 GFLOPS
M1 6 Core GPU 2.29 TFLOPS
M1 8 Core GPU 2.6 TFLOPS

Real world I would expect some improvement in apps that were CPU bottle-necked previously but if things were fine before they won't change much. GPU wise these numbers are better and you should expect a good improvement on things that can take advantage of it.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 26, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tim let me order the iPad, you coward.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Tim let me order the iPad, you coward.

That shits gonna be back ordered all year.

I also keep telling myself that to deter me from buying it immediately, and save up a few months.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll preorder on Friday and get it when I get it!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Question: I've never pre-ordered an apple product with a trade in with the exception of iPhones which are swapped the same day so no time without my phone has happened. I am planning on upgrading my 2019 12.9" Pro to the new version on Friday via pre-order, but will be putting my older model up for trade-in. Due to the fact that I use my ipad for work and can't be without it, do I send in my old model once I receive the new unit and then once it's received get refunded the amount of trade in?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Question: I've never pre-ordered an apple product with a trade in with the exception of iPhones which are swapped the same day so no time without my phone has happened. I am planning on upgrading my 2019 12.9" Pro to the new version on Friday via pre-order, but will be putting my older model up for trade-in. Due to the fact that I use my ipad for work and can't be without it, do I send in my old model once I receive the new unit and then once it's received get refunded the amount of trade in?

I’ve never traded in with Apple, but I assume it’s the same as other companies, they send you a box with the device to mail in your old device after you get the new one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Here's the process:

Get quote from Apple and submit the trade-in form.
Trade-in company (Apple doesn't handle these directly) sends you a box
You have so many days to send in device
Mail it in
Once they receive it, they inspect it and if it all checks out they email you a gift card.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Here's the process:

Get quote from Apple and submit the trade-in form.
Trade-in company (Apple doesn't handle these directly) sends you a box
You have so many days to send in device
Mail it in
Once they receive it, they inspect it and if it all checks out they email you a gift card.

This is correct, you have 14 days from receiving the box to mail the item back. If it’s received after 14 days they’ll still take it but may revalue the quote.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If you can make it to an Apple Store (and they're accepting them) I'd go to one for a trade-in instead of mailing it in. It's faster and you don't have to worry about the trade-in company loving you over. There have been reports of Phobio denying trade-ins or lowering the value due to damage or defects that clearly aren't present.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve done plenty of mail-in trades and I’ve never had any issues with them, thankfully. Wasn’t aware you could go to a store for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’ve done plenty of mail-in trades and I’ve never had any issues with them, thankfully. Wasn’t aware you could go to a store for it.

Yup. You can trade in everything now. For a long time it was everything except Macs. Those had to be done online. Of course right now with COVID some stores are limiting services so you'll have to check on the website.