Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

Is that Volleyball manga a neo-noir?

Anybody get shot during it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Skwirl posted:

Anybody get shot during it?

People definitely get set up

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

People definitely get set up
I see what you're doing.

I don't have a lot of rules for what's a noir or neo-noir, but someone needs to get shot by a gun for it to count.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Very bold move by the Oscars to assume that Chadwick Boseman was going to win his award and it wasn't at all awkward when he didn't and the person who did win it wasn't there and the show just ended.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Very bold move by the Oscars to assume that Chadwick Boseman was going to win his award and it wasn't at all awkward when he didn't and the person who did win it wasn't there and the show just ended.

It's not like Boseman cares. He's either nothing in the cosmic dust of the universe or he's in heaven doing Karaoke with Jimmy Hendrix depending on your particular view.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CPL593H posted:

For some reason they made a feature length version if the V/H/S segment with the dick ripping off monster lady.

It came out a few years ago. I only just now found out about it.

The harpy monster chick? Whats it called?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The Oscars still exists?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

porfiria posted:

The Oscars still exists?

Only if you fear them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CPL593H posted:

Remember that time that Olivia Munn got all kinds of poo poo for calling attention to the fact that Shane Black put a diddler in his movie?

I don't really remember how that shook out.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think he was a guy who hit on her at a park and they cut him out before the release.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I did not think saying I liked The Nice Guys better than The Big Lebowski would provoke such a response. Are you guys all big stock holders in the college freshmen trying a white russian once before realizing they're gross and never having another one industry?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mechafunkzilla posted:

name a single good movie that takes place in New York. you can't, it's impossible

Escape from New York :v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I did not think saying I liked The Nice Guys better than The Big Lebowski would provoke such a response. Are you guys all big stock holders in the college freshmen trying a white russian once before realizing they're gross and never having another one industry?

You said more than just it was better, you bugger!!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gripweed posted:

I'm just mad at how bad Jesus Rolls was

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Skwirl posted:

I see what you're doing.

I don't have a lot of rules for what's a noir or neo-noir, but someone needs to get shot by a gun for it to count.

No one gets shot by a gun in Angel Face (1953).

Gripweed posted:

Because the Big Lebowski owns, it’s a very funny movie made by some of the greatest American filmmakers alive, and it’s got a star-studded cast that knocks it out of the park. You’re allowed to not like it, but pretending you’re above The Big Lebowski makes you look like a fool.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

X-Ray Pecs posted:

No one gets shot by a gun in Angel Face (1953).

Because the Big Lebowski owns, it’s a very funny movie made by some of the greatest American filmmakers alive, and it’s got a star-studded cast that knocks it out of the park. You’re allowed to not like it, but pretending you’re above The Big Lebowski makes you look like a fool.

And I, for one, pity the fool.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Big Lebowski > The Nice Guys >>>>>>> Inherent Vice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Under the Silver Lake

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Big Lebowski > The Nice Guys >>>>>>> Inherent Vice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Under the Silver Lake

:mods:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm willing to concede that Inherent Vice is okay if you want a version of The Big Lebowski that's 35 minutes longer and 50% less funny (it works better as a novel).

Under the Silver Lake just fuckin suuuuucks.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I like The Big Lebowski

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Under the Silver Lake just fuckin suuuuucks.

I loving loved Under The Silver Lake, but I have a feeling it's one of those movies where if you're not on its wavelength, it's going to be the most obnoxious two and a half hours of your life.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Under the Silver Lake is great if you want bad Inherent Vice with a shot of poo in a toilet

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

White Russians are good actually.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Escobarbarian posted:

Under the Silver Lake is great if you want bad Inherent Vice with a shot of poo in a toilet

:hmmyes:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I loved Under The Silver Lake, and I haven't seen Inherent Vice. It's probably better than Inherent Vice cause I hear that movie does not have a shot of poo, in a toilet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They cut that guys scene, Munn got a lot of support from the cast and other people, and Shane eventually personally apologized to her for it soon after.

Oh and the movie was bad so it just kinda got forgotten by everyone.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I loving loved Under The Silver Lake, but I have a feeling it's one of those movies where if you're not on its wavelength, it's going to be the most obnoxious two and a half hours of your life.
I ultimately described UTSL to myself as Eyes Wide Shut but replace Tom Cruise never getting any with the Balthazar Getty segment from Lost Highway

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Discourse over Boseman not taking home the hardware is already becoming loving insufferable. Either the Oscars should be the true meritocracy critics have been urging the Oscars to be for years, in which case the fifth best performance of five should not have won, or its a pointless feel-good achievement award given out to those whose bodies of work have made them “earn” it regardless of their specific quality of performance or lack thereof, and priority should be given to those who won’t or can’t ever be nominated again, in which case don’t bitch and moan next year when some old white dude who has been in the industry for three generations gets it for a mediocre performance over his more qualified person of color who was also on the card.

You can’t have it both ways. Either the best performance deserves to win, and Hopkins therefore ABSOLUTELY deserved to win over Boseman, or it doesn’t.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

NieR Occomata posted:

Either the Oscars should be the true meritocracy critics have been urging the Oscars to be for years, in which case the fifth best performance of five should not have won, or its a pointless feel-good achievement award given out to those whose bodies of work have made them “earn” it regardless of their specific quality of performance or lack thereof, and priority should be given to those who won’t or can’t ever be nominated again, in which case don’t bitch and moan next year when some old white dude who has been in the industry for three generations gets it for a mediocre performance over his more qualified person of color who was also on the card.

It's neither. The Oscars are an opportunity to get drunk, be catty, and gamble.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can we just drop the actual award from the Oscars and just film a big celebrity party where they watch goofy sketches riffing on movies from the past year? That'd probably pull bigger numbers than the current version and would drop the very silly idea of giving out awards for art that compares and contrasts wildly different things.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I thought Hopkins should get it as his performance was incredible. Better than Boseman’s, which (like the rest of the film) felt like it was still on the stage and not in a film.

But yes, they can’t have it both ways.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FreudianSlippers posted:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I have a friend who was the youngest of our class mates, so the last to turn 21. So obviously we went barhopping for his.

A round of white russians is not a good idea to end a night of drinking lots and lots of other things.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked the nice guys but it was a bit of disappointment for me because I was expecting to love it based on the trailer. I watched more of black's filmography after that and I've come to the conclusion that the guy's style is just a bit too cute for me (although he's become a better filmmaker in his later years imo).

the coen bros are two of the greatest American filmmakers in history. I have difficulty comparing the nice guys and the big Lebowski because they're very, very different films despite ostensibly sharing a cultural lineage, but I have a far deeper personal emotional connection with the latter. I haven't seen under the silver lake or inherent vice but if they're not as good as the nice guys then I'm glad I've avoided them for this long

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also white Russians are basically alcoholic milkshakes. They loving rule imho

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you go to a good diner (or own a blender) you can get an actual alcoholic milkshake, it’s a good summer treat

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The Klowner posted:

I liked the nice guys but it was a bit of disappointment for me because I was expecting to love it based on the trailer. I watched more of black's filmography after that and I've come to the conclusion that the guy's style is just a bit too cute for me (although he's become a better filmmaker in his later years imo).

the coen bros are two of the greatest American filmmakers in history. I have difficulty comparing the nice guys and the big Lebowski because they're very, very different films despite ostensibly sharing a cultural lineage, but I have a far deeper personal emotional connection with the latter. I haven't seen under the silver lake or inherent vice but if they're not as good as the nice guys then I'm glad I've avoided them for this long

Under the Silver Lake is more in line with The Big Lebowski, where it’s less about the story and plot twists, and more hanging out with the main character and watching this loser bumble through lots of weird scenarios. I wouldn’t rate it as highly as The Big Lebowski, but I liked it a lot. It’s probably one of the most Dudes Rock movies ever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Under the Silver Lake is more in line with The Big Lebowski, where it’s less about the story and plot twists, and more hanging out with the main character and watching this loser bumble through lots of weird scenarios. I wouldn’t rate it as highly as The Big Lebowski, but I liked it a lot. It’s probably one of the most Dudes Rock movies ever.

I would say Silver Lake crosses over the line from “dudes rock” to “this movie is misogynist” many times over

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I loved Inherent Vice, but I love PTA and Thomas Pynchon. The film nailed Pynchon’s tone, which is very impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is Inherent Vice the only movie based on a Pynchon novel? It seems weird to me there's not some complete mess of a film based on Gravity's Rainbow.