Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

marumaru posted:

to try and help get this thread back into fun and pleasant topics, i'm shocked at Vivy. hadnt seen anyone talk about it but holy gently caress were the two episodes i watched good.

Viviy indeed good. Is there a Vivy thread yet? There probably should be.

I'll start one if someone gives me a good enough robot pun

utamaru posted:

didnt notice that, so cool. bring back monogatari because need more OP's

Also yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Terminator Idol’s Teddy Bear

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Come With Me If You Want To Viv

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sindai posted:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sindai posted:

yeah it's gotta be that

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sindai posted:

perfect in every way

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'll Be Back ( for an encore )
Hasta La Vivy, Baby
Swan Songs for Robot Dolls

It's a little entertaining to me that we have three inhuman doll shows; Zombieland, Shadows House, and now Vivy.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Squidster posted:

It's a little entertaining to me that we have three inhuman doll shows; Zombieland, Shadows House, and now Vivy.

I don't think anyone believes that the living dolls in Shadows House are actually dolls instead of humans who had their memories wiped with shadow juice. Them actually being dolls would be the biggest possible twist.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I made the Vivy thread.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Tamba posted:

I don't think anyone believes that the living dolls in Shadows House are actually dolls instead of humans who had their memories wiped with shadow juice. Them actually being dolls would be the biggest possible twist.
How dare you insinuate that the noble Shadows family could be untruthful with their indoctrinated slave labour.

On that note, there's a pretty good English cover of the ending here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhUlkKckaJo

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

:toot:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:toot: Vivy thread

quote:

Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song
Wit Studio | Shinpei Ezaki | Tappei Nagatsuki ; Eiji Umehara | Sci-Fi, Music | Original | Apr 3, 2021
Nierland—an A.I complex theme park where dreams, hopes, and science intermingle. Created as the first-ever autonomous humanoid A.I, Vivy acts as an A.I cast for the establishment. To fulfill her mission of making everyone happy through songs, she continues to take the stage and perform with all her heart. However, the theme park was still lacking in popularity. One day, an A.I named Matsumoto appears before Vivy and explains that he has travelled from 100 years into the future, with the mission to correct history with Vivy and prevent the war between A.I and humanity that is set to take place 100 years later. What sort of future will the encounter of two A.I with different missions redraw? This is the story of A.I destroying A.I. A.I diva Vivy's 100-year journey begins.
PV
Thread

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I love how the basic premise of To Your Eternity is just "what if The Thing was a bit nicer?"

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
After I finally found out how to change Funimations lovely subtitles on PS5 they roll out and update where you can change them in the player itself, haha.

Hoping this update also fixed the problem where the episode doesn’t actually end in the system and gets stuck so you have to manually check for new episodes in your queue.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Forgall posted:

I love how the basic premise of To Your Eternity is just "what if The Thing was a bit nicer?"

It's more like a reverse Lovecraftian horror story. An eldritch being from beyond the stars comes to earth and finds humans. This leaves the eldritch being a shattered wreck in mind and body, knowing nothing but suffering and madness.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Having never watched Konosuba, I've been enjoying Combatants Will Be Dispatched so far. As I understand Konosuba fans would probably not consider it to be bringing anything really new, though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

Having never watched Konosuba, I've been enjoying Combatants Will Be Dispatched so far. As I understand Konosuba fans would probably not consider it to be bringing anything really new, though.

imo it feels a lot like early konosuba to me - it's like, fine but not great. konosuba got really good in the second season though, which kinda makes combatants not seem terribly good in comparison, but it's decent enough that i'm sticking around to see if it takes a similar upswing once the characters are well established.

it's hard to shake the "this feels like konosuba but not as good" feeling though, going in without that comparison to make probably helps a decent amount

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
konosuba is about assholes you end up rooting for. combatants is about assholes.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the animation didn't seem that good. i don't even particularly care about konosuba but i guess the production was its secret strength that none of the subsequent adaptations have really had.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Maxwell Adams posted:

It's more like a reverse Lovecraftian horror story. An eldritch being from beyond the stars comes to earth and finds humans. This leaves the eldritch being a shattered wreck in mind and body, knowing nothing but suffering and madness.

"Humans are Monsters" is one of my favourite subversions of lovecraftian horror.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

the animation didn't seem that good. i don't even particularly care about konosuba but i guess the production was its secret strength that none of the subsequent adaptations have really had.

The animation in Konosuba wasn't exactly good, but it leaned into the wonkiness for comic effect to let sloppier techniques work out for the show overall. It also had great performances from the voice cast, including the initially improvised "Yes, I'm Kazuma" running gag.

If you look at DVD sales (a limited metric subject to a lot of other variables, but a metric accessible to the public), Princess Connect: Re Dive, a comedic isekai type anime by the same director as Konosuba, was a massive hit. Meanwhile Kemono Michi, a comedic isekai based on a series by the same writer as Konosuba, was a flop.

Suggests that, as an anime at least, director Takaomi Kanasaki was a big factor in Konosuba being such a hit.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The Wolf's Rain flashbacks induced by To Your Eternity this week were powerful. Got goosebumps.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if the Priconne DVDs came with codes for stuff in the game, the Granblue anime DVDs always sell gangbusters for that reason.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kemono Michi peaked when the Princess got german suplexed in episode 1. Then the joke ran its course.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I never knew the "Yes, I'm Kazuma" gag was initially improvised :allears:. It's such a good little bir

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The best joke in Combatants was in episode one where a character was charging up a big attack and the Megumin explosion music from Konosuba started playing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

If you look at DVD sales (a limited metric subject to a lot of other variables, but a metric accessible to the public), Princess Connect: Re Dive, a comedic isekai type anime by the same director as Konosuba, was a massive hit. Meanwhile Kemono Michi, a comedic isekai based on a series by the same writer as Konosuba, was a flop.
the dvds/blurays for princess connect came with codes for the mobage. nothing unique to it but a lot of stuff that was worth nearly as much as the cost of the blu-ray itself. if you were a heavy player of the game and wanted to spend money on it anyway, the blu-rays were basically free. if you weren't a player of the game, you could flip the codes online and basically make up the cost. as an example, all 4 codes together are currently going for $400 on ebay, and the 4-disc blu-ray bundle is about $460.

even ignoring that, princess connect was based on an already very successful mobile game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think in general the whole trend of 'hey, this anime based on this ln did super well, lets adapt the authors other works' never really pans out that well. big order isnt as popular as index/railgun, accel world isnt as popular as sao - i think the only time i can think of that the two things have achieved similar popularity is maoyuu and log horizon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think in general the whole trend of 'hey, this anime based on this ln did super well, lets adapt the authors other works' never really pans out that well. big order isnt as popular as index/railgun, accel world isnt as popular as sao - i think the only time i can think of that the two things have achieved similar popularity is maoyuu and log horizon.

You mean Heavy Object, right? Big Order was by the Future Diary guy - and yeah, that didn't live up to the earlier work's popularity either.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Endorph posted:

Yeah it’s rare but I don’t know if I’d blame the authors, sometimes it that’s and sometimes it’s on the anime studios failing source material. Amagi Brilliant Park was an awesome adaptation I’d put on the same level as Full Metal Panic. Then you look at Cop Craft and I think it’s pretty easy to see how the animation studio was 100% responsible for that ending up a turd.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

The biggest problem with Combatants is that fan artists don't draw the cleric girl enough.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
100% responsible is not what i would use to describe a production breakdown that happens to a smaller studio in a flawed industry

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Brutal Garcon posted:

The biggest problem with Combatants is that fan artists don't draw the cleric girl enough.

I like how she's just in a wheelchair because she can't wear shoes, talk about lazy.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

She should remember that barefoot is legal

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
also the combatants LN illustrator and manga artist have tweeted all sorts of art during the anime hype so there should be plenty of lazy dark cleric there

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Big Order was by the Future Diary guy - and yeah, that didn't live up to the earlier work's popularity either.
No it did not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHm1xGcSK88

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It was an incredibly blatant Code Geass rip-off, with a little bit of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure thrown in.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Droyer posted:

The best joke in Combatants was in episode one where a character was charging up a big attack and the Megumin explosion music from Konosuba started playing.

Always up for some explosion references.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of gacha adaptations, I do wonder if Replicant being another Yoko Taro megahit is going to push a SINoALICE anime up the priority list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Brutal Garcon posted:

Actually it's that Heine isn't a main cast member.