Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Also, Satoko saying he was still alive should have a fairly obvious explanation after Chapter 7.

Ohhhhhh, it's been a while since I read Chapter 3 but if Satoko's the only person to say her uncle is alive that makes sense then. Kind of hard to keep track of exactly which unreliable narrators are saying which information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MegaZeroX posted:

Yeah, Keiichi was a dumb dumb who everyone could figure out murdered Teppei. Mion moved the body and his friends were trying to cover for him but he didn't realize it

yeah them letting him go afterwards was a dumb decision but when everyone is loudly saying in public HI KEIICHI-KUN IM GLAD WE HAD SUCH A FUN TIME WITH YOU, AT THE FESTIVAL, LAST NIGHT, WHERE YOU DEFINITELY WERE, AND DEFINITELY NOT IN THE WOODS OR SOMETHING, well...

(higurashi general spoilers) e) my favorite thing about that chapter is the ending "moral of the story" segment from the author which is like remember kids, if you're going to murder someone make sure to call your friends to help you cover it up and not do it yourself. thanks, r07. or maybe that was chapter 6...

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Higurashi Chapter 8 After the Takano stuff but before doing any fragment assembly

Holy poo poo I regret asking what Takano's deal was. Oh no your grandfather's research was rejected by the eugenicists because of political pressure, boo hoo, I guess that justifies mass murder. Time to pull myself by my bootstraps (thanks to my grandfather's war friendship with a government official) and defeat god with the help of nationalists and a lobotomy expert! I'd ask how killing a village then covering it up helps spread Takano's research at all but at this point I don't really want any more Takano backstory, she's so loving exhausting

Also come on Hanyuu you do not, in fact, "gotta hand it to" Takano

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's a Key & Sekai Project sale going on.
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/vaxsp-publisher-weekend

Not too much stands out to me besides Key and I guess Baldr Sky but if those are what you want well, there you go.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Procrastine posted:

Higurashi Chapter 8 After the Takano stuff but before doing any fragment assembly

Holy poo poo I regret asking what Takano's deal was. Oh no your grandfather's research was rejected by the eugenicists because of political pressure, boo hoo, I guess that justifies mass murder. Time to pull myself by my bootstraps (thanks to my grandfather's war friendship with a government official) and defeat god with the help of nationalists and a lobotomy expert! I'd ask how killing a village then covering it up helps spread Takano's research at all but at this point I don't really want any more Takano backstory, she's so loving exhausting

Also come on Hanyuu you do not, in fact, "gotta hand it to" Takano

I don’t know, I agree with everything you’ve written here but I feel like all that establishing stuff is more about showing how they got to that state, not necessarily that you’re meant to pity them. The last couple of Fragments really seemed to reinforce that for me (and also genuinely add some pitiable aspects to the character).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Holy Guacamole that Sunrider game looks exactly like the old Gundam Wing Flash game on Toonami

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko EP 6 Thoughts

Man you can tell Battler really understood Sayo’s whole deal with the way he set up the love trial, It does however seem he would’ve had to Logic error himself in order to complete the metaphor. I wonder if it was intentional

for the record I’ve thought of about three ways at least to un logic himself. I think the real solution is going to deal with Battler and Eirika making simultaneous moves.

Yeah I wonder if the truth Eirika realizes is that Lambda and Bern never escaped

Trying to slip that by

They’re laying it on thick

The wedding Soundtrack is super dope
Sounds like a background track to a shopping mall in a persona game

Dianor’s Glasses are very cute

Man that ring scene was very sexual, I haven’t been this uncomfortable during a sex scene since Utena

Ufff that duel wasn’t too bad but Beato dying hurt

Oh man if theres a part where Eirika looks at Battler’s hand and he’s still wearing the heads ring.

So loving nice to see Beatrice back

I loving died, I swear the more I play the more Gohda becomes my most sympathetic character, dude is just some chef with zero connection to anything. He’s so outta his depth with this poo poo

“That makes 17 humans” Absolute great way to end the ep

Battler and Beato getting married is the tops. Really starting to wonder how they got two more episodes

Lol at Rosa being the only one salty at the triple wedding

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko EP6 Conclusion thoughts

It had by and by far the best intro of any of the episodes, for a series that’s really struggled to start it’s nice to see an ep hit the ground running.

I will say while I like them spending more time on One mystery instead of multiple, the love game was a little long.

So how can we tell that Shannon and Kanon are the same. Parallelism.

There was already a pretty strong parallel between the two,and a red herring in the form of the TIPS telling you there were more “On” servants. But even before this episode you cannot argue against them both managing to get themselves into reflected relationships. Add to that the EP where Shannon and Kannon are running in the rain and yet they make note of only one set of footprints. Once you get to this chapter you have an embarrassment of riches to lead you to the conclusion, They both can’t have their love fulfilled even if they both wholeheartedly believe in it. Furufu and Zephyr are genderswapped counterparts, and if you realize the Demon’s are constructs of Sayo’s imagination then they must represent something. This Ep also has Beatrice split in two, a pair that has one refer to the older as Oneechan, just as Kanon refers to Shannon.

What’s most amazing to me about this episode is how much Battler regained his Chad status even when he was kind of getting owned. He knew the whole time exactly how he could get out of the room. He chose not to, he grit his teeth and attempted every single thing he could think of, except outting Sayo’s secret. He knew drat well that she’s the only one who should be allowed to do that. Truly a gentleman.

The Fight in the Wedding hall started dope, kinda felt a little weak towards the middle. I think if Ryukushi is guilty of a sin in writing it’s his habit of being a bit overindulgent, Having Beatrice come back, slam open the doors, and rush Eirika would’ve been a lot more satisfying if he didn’t feel the need for the entire cast to get a scene.

Beatrice wrecking Eirika was beautiful, I almost got the trick, I’d thought that it was a false seal in the first place seeing as Eirika wasn’t actually there to check if the seal was in tact. Then I also Had a backup theory that Eirika herself let him out. Beatrice tearing through it all with her trick was beautiful, Eikia could’ve never seen it. Without understanding Sayo as a person the idea that Shannon and Kanon were the same would be a violation of the Decalogue. But with love…

While I think 5 had a stronger finish Beato referring to Battler as her husband, was beautiful. I’m glad they’ve finally managed to come to understand one another.

Eirika and Dianor’s relationship came out of loving nowhere

So then the Teaparties

Tohya/Featherine continuing the game at this point seems odd, she’s already given away all the clues and mysteries about herself. I do have a theory though.

As a conclusion I’ll list the questions I have that I hope to be answered by the Epilogue Epidsodes

1. Witch’es Epithet, Why did Kinzo create it, Sayo probably wanted to have one of the Cousins solve it as her own version of the love game, but why did Kinzo create it.

2. The answer to it, We still haven’t gotten an answer, and even if I can reason out a probable location of Kinzo’s Beloved hometown, how can I then turn that into a number for a keypad or whatever they need to open the passage to the Gold Room

3. Why didn’t Battler meet with Ange?

4. Why did Sayo choose to meet with Ange?

5. Is Lambda Sakutaro? Like this bothers me more than it should.

6. How did Eva get to the Kuwadorian in the Correct timeline?

7. Is Onokogi plotting to kill Ange? He mentions trying to turn her into a puppet to Amakusa.

8. There’s another but I’m forgetting it

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I believe deep down in my hear of hearts, that one day you will get Erika's name right.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress me. I did my best.

Umineko Ep 7 Spoilers

I don't know why they're laying Beato to rest or why Sayo is being interrogated but I don't prefer it

I've never read a Van Dine novel, I'm hosed

This Ep is Strange as hell

Lion? This is strange

Oh it's a what if Natsuhi didn't yeet the baby

There's no corpse because without Sayo's tragic tumble she'd have no reason to become Beatrice, this isn't even a mystery so far

This feels like the Coma Episodes of Sopranos

Pretty sure all the Sayolikes wear Brooches or necklaces

Perhaps love can bloom even on the battlefield

Oh gently caress me he was enlisted on Rokkenjima? I guess Manchuria is out, and Korea, and loving everywhere.

I'm hashtag mad

Well that explains the Tunnels

FICKING ITALIANS, Goddamnit it. Why would italyinans be in the pacific, of course she's italy person

I agree lion Explann this poo poo Ryukushii

Tjat sub copuldn't have made it, I've read too many Grey Hunter LP's to fall for that

I'll assume ignorance on Authors part

It's like that one movie, Beatrice is on that Sub, Kinzo and her are gonna slaughter the rest of both crews and take their dollars.
I can't remember the movie tho

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 21, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't heard English spoken this eloquently since Muv Luv Alternative

There was one German sub on the way to Japan around those times

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-864

But the idea that Italy sent a sub, presumably holding Ten Tons of Gold to Japan is more Unbelievable than all the Metaworld plot in this game

Yjod meet cute with Kinzo and Beatrice is so cute it almost makes you forget he raped his daughter

HOW MANY BEATRICES WILL THIS DAMNABLE GAME FORCE ME TO FALL IN LOVE WITH?????!!!!

“Love was the greatest of enchantments; if Echidna and her children succeeded in killing Kypris, Thelxiepeia would no doubt, would doubtless … Become the goddess of love in a century or less, said the Outsider, standing not behind Silk as he had in the ball court, but before him—standing on the still water of the pool, tall and wise and kind, with a face that nearly came into focus. I would claim her in that case, long before the end. As I have so many others. As I am claiming Kypris even now because love always proceeds from me, real love, true love. First romance. The Outsider was the dancing man on a toy, and the water the polished toy-top on which he danced with Kypris, who was Hyacinth and Mother, too. First romance, sang the Outsider with the music box. First romance. It was why he was called the Outsider. He was outside—”
― Gene Wolfe, Caldé of the Long Sun

“Hyacinth, who wept before sleep, had wept that night; he had wept too—had wept in joy and pain, and in joy at his pain. When tears were done and their heads rested on one pillow, she had said that no man had ever wept with her before. Two floors below them, their reflected images knelt in the fishpond at Thelxiepeia’s feet, subsistent but invisible. There she would weep for him longer than they lived. He lowered his naked body into a rising pool, warm and scarcely less romantic.”
― Gene Wolfe, Exodus From The Long Sun: The Final Volume of the Book of the Long Sun

Actually this one

The sentiment if not the content is my feelings on this beatrice, and all the others

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 21, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nate RFB posted:

Not too much stands out to me besides Key and I guess Baldr Sky but if those are what you want well, there you go.

Mahou Arms is meant to be pretty good

but also lol suckai project

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gaius Marius posted:

Holy Guacamole that Sunrider game looks exactly like the old Gundam Wing Flash game on Toonami

Sunrider is like, perfectly mediocre with occasional flashes of pretty good. It’s enjoyably short.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

fatal twelve is 30% off, it's good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko 7 Spoilers

drat Kinzo you were a smooth motherfucker

Oh yeah Nanjo being an old friend of Kinzo was mentioned

I honestly don’t think it would be that tricky for a rich aristocrat to hide a mistress

drat maria that’s sad and Heretical
Maria is an absolute moron

Given that Marai didn’t respond over the phone I’ll take that as a confirmation the most if not all the phonecalls from earlier games were pre recorded

So the chair order is wrong

And why would Lion existing affect the Epitht

Yeah Lion being Sayo was pretty obvious

There’s some real Witch/Princess stuff going on, dude must’ve been a fan of Utena

I can’t believe I didn’t think about the Goat Slaughter, and Beatrice killing Battler in the fourth game even when she confirmed she was dead.
And Eva in the True timeline survived at the Kuwadorian but “Nobody” else did
And that’s why the cat box didn’t collapse when the cops arrived, jesus I’m dumb

Man on one hand the mystery would never have been solved without Battler being there, on the other hand Will is ten thousand percent more competent than Battler.
Amazing what happens when you actually talk to the witnesses and gather evidence instead of arguing with your girlfriend

:wrong:

Dumbass doesn't realize they both survived

gently caress this is gonna be depressing

Oh god the Stakes are all the other "On" servants

Wut

Wait never mind we're still doing a fightclub thing

So her name is Sayo Yasuda?

"Yes, seriously! Wouldn't it normally go 2 and 2?
Already tipping your hand that shannon is a construct

This key ring puzzle is so Dumb, Shannon took it off her key ring and put it in the girls locker then switched keyrings with the girl

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 23, 2021

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Higurashi Chapter 8

First off, wow Chapter 8 is long compared to the others

All right, I do feel a little bad for Takano now. Not much, but a little.
I notice there's one steam achievement left. Is that additional content or is it just something like "don't make any mistakes during fragment assembly"?

I do want to read Umineko at some point but I think right now I'm ready to take a break from VNs for a bit.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Procrastine posted:

Higurashi Chapter 8
I notice there's one steam achievement left. Is that additional content or is it just something like "don't make any mistakes during fragment assembly"?

It is indeed exactly that, but that also gives you a small extra scene.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko 7
Jesus, I understood in theory what Sayo was going through, but actually reading it is so much worse

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lmfao I am not going to any of those U7 spoilers GM, I won't, you can't tempt me into it, gently caress

I feel very confident about the Who and very informed-yet-ignorant about the Why and How and What and by god, I'm going to keep chugging through 1-5 or 6 until I figure it out or absolutely give up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pick up some super glue before you start seven. It'll help when you have to put the pieces of your broken heart back together.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko 7 Spoilers
Taiwan?

And then they don't even try and make it solvable in english

Also really not seeing how I can turn this into a passcode, even with the number elimination thing from ep5

This is one of the most depressing Episodes of anything I've ever read or watched.

Is this why they kept talking about a billion to one miracle and poo poo, You have to take the numbers the character's represent and do the Exponential things to it

Udrlo?

O, Lord?

The chapel must be the entrance, and then in the second match the doors could all be locked because the killer could lead them through the tunnels

Is this where I saw the Ange Backwards leap from? It can't be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQFIKP9rGhQ&t=12s

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 25, 2021

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I jumped on the Umineko bandwagon, picked up where I left off last year on the GOG version (kids on the beach), and made it to the morning of day 2 (garden shed). Then I remembered there was supposed to be a fan patch. The 7th patch site says it invalidates saves by jumping around to a random spoilery part so you should either apply it on a fresh playthrough or on an episode breakpoint. I do like the PS3/alchemist graphics better but I don't want to start over just for that.

I'm leaning towards finishing out the first episode as is, is that cool or is it important enough I should restart with voices? I'm not missing them so far because I usually click through the text faster than the voices can go. I do like newer games where you can scroll back and click the line for it to be read again so I can cherry pick the best lines or let major moments play out.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Either or is fine, Ctrl ing up to that point would only take a couple minutes but you aren't losing a ton without the voices for one episode.

Although I'd honestly say just get the patch now just in case you end up really like any of the voices, for what it's worth there's no text reaudioing, once the line is over you can't re hear it

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Also FWIW the voices really add a lot IMO. Plus if you don't get the patch you miss out on the song in ep1 that samples Star Trek

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Droyer posted:

Also FWIW the voices really add a lot IMO. Plus if you don't get the patch you miss out on the song in ep1 that samples Star Trek

How far in is the Star Trek song? I patched up but I fast forwarded back to where I left off in early day 2, stopping only to check out character voices as they showed up and for a few scenes I wanted to revisit. Just curious if I zipped past it or haven't gotten to it yet. I did check the options to add back in the two copyrighted songs.

The voices are great, somehow hihihihi and uu uu are much better voiced than written. The patriarch screaming Beatrice not so much but that VA was having a blast. The only voice I dislike is the ojo-sama, which I assume is by design.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's significantly later, you haven't missed it.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

bagrada posted:

How far in is the Star Trek song? I patched up but I fast forwarded back to where I left off in early day 2, stopping only to check out character voices as they showed up and for a few scenes I wanted to revisit. Just curious if I zipped past it or haven't gotten to it yet. I did check the options to add back in the two copyrighted songs.

The voices are great, somehow hihihihi and uu uu are much better voiced than written. The patriarch screaming Beatrice not so much but that VA was having a blast. The only voice I dislike is the ojo-sama, which I assume is by design.

Wait by ojo-sama do you mean that it is used by the VA, or by the translation? Because I think one of the patches changes it to a fan translation or something, which feels much more weebish in the translation with things like that and oji-san and oba-san. I thought the patch stopped adding the fan translation but I guess I was wrong.

It may be better to just use the other patch after you finish the episode if that is the case, which is only missing lip sync I think.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

Wait by ojo-sama do you mean that it is used by the VA, or by the translation? Because I think one of the patches changes it to a fan translation or something, which feels much more weebish in the translation with things like that and oji-san and oba-san. I thought the patch stopped adding the fan translation but I guess I was wrong.

It may be better to just use the other patch after you finish the episode if that is the case, which is only missing lip sync I think.

Eva, the older sister. The voice actress gives her, what I think of as, the stereotypical ojo-sama lilt.

I'm using the 07th mod. My understanding is it is still the official manga gamer translation with the PS3 voices and art. No lip synching. It removes the toggle to see the original goofy art but otherwise the GOG stuff seems intact, just with the replaced art and voicing. The lines seem the same to me as they did in the vanilla GOG version, but I'm unobservant so maybe they were updated.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

bagrada posted:

Eva, the older sister. The voice actress gives her, what I think of as, the stereotypical ojo-sama lilt.

I'm using the 07th mod. My understanding is it is still the official manga gamer translation with the PS3 voices and art. No lip synching. It removes the toggle to see the original goofy art but otherwise the GOG stuff seems intact, just with the replaced art and voicing. The lines seem the same to me as they did in the vanilla GOG version, but I'm unobservant so maybe they were updated.

Yes, 07th mod uses the official translation. I just misinterpreted what you said as using terms without actually translating them, to the strange extent of actually using ojisan/obasan.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I'm looking into the mod and it makes me sad that it removes the ability to toggle the character art :(
I'll miss the Ryukishi art

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can choose to use his sprites. You just can't switch on the fly

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

You can choose to use his sprites. You just can't switch on the fly

The PS3 sprites look good enough that I think I want to use them (unlike Higurashi where I used the original sprites because I thought the new ones felt... idk how to say it, less characterful? Plus they removed Mion's gun and that's unforgivable) but I would like the option to switch to the original art when I see a new sprite to check it out then switch back to the PS3 art. Ah well.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I can feel that, The new sprites aren't bad but they do lack a bit of the specialness and expressiveness of the originals. What I really miss is the Backgrounds, I thought it was nice at first but I ended up falling into the trap of analyzing the BG's instead of realizing that the Locked Rooms are conceptual in nature and you can't focus on anything the Text didn't give you.

To the people in the Thread who also read the Tokyo Zodiac Murders, I picked up a copy of the Murder in the Crooked house by the same Author. Only about 100 pages in but the set up is pretty interesting and a little frustrating. I think I've got at least two of the tricks down, but the why is totally mysterious to me.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 26, 2021

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
Finished Chaos;Child. It’s easily second best of the four Science Adventure games I’ve played. I really enjoyed it despite some nagging questions I have after the revelations of the true ending and an overall tone that’s rather depressing.

Spoilers for all routes begin below.

Arimura’s route was good despite the bummer ending. Her character was quite funny and she really grew on me as the story progressed.

Hana’s route was delightfully insane and the Wakui reveal was executed perfectly. That scene in the club room was the most tense moment in the entire game. Takumi was far more entertaining in his brief cameo than he was in the entirety of Chaos;Head.

Uki’s route was just OK. Her main ending was another downer and the alternate “Are we still in the Matrix?” ending has been done far too often at this point to have any impact.

Nono’s route…wow…yeah, this one is going to stick with me for a while. I was actually pretty close to guessing the twist thinking that maybe Senri had some kind of mind swapping ability and out of desperation switched minds with the real Nono right before Senri’s body expired from one of the experiments being done on her. That would have been dark even for this game. The actual circumstances were not quite as harsh, thankfully, and did a great job of explaining Nono’s behavior throughout the entire game.

I may need to replay the True Ending again (it’s not that long), because it seems like that Chaos Child Syndrome twist just came out of absolutely nowhere. I got that there was some kind of collective real booted delusion happening among the Hekiho students that made them all appear old, but it’s not clear to me why the first 4 new Gen Madness victims (who were all psychics) did not also appear unnaturally aged. Also, why were Nono/Senri, Arimura, Uki, and Hana the only people who were in a coma?

After finishing the game, Kunosato remains the only character I did not like. A couple hints were dropped in the True Ending, but her character development was almost non-existent when compared to the other girls. The game went to great lengths to explain each of their personalities and motivations, but Kunosato remains a nasty brat for the pretty much the whole game for no apparent reason. I can understand her disgust at the Committee’s actions, but why so much anger towards the Gigalomanics none of whom were responsible for their condition? If Kunosato shows up in another Sci Adventure game, I hope she gets more and better character development.

The next paragraph contains massive spoilers for both Chaos;Child and Steins;Gate. Do not read it unless you have finished both games in their entirety.

I didn’t miss the parallel between the very last scene in S;G between Okabe and Kurisu and C;C’s final scene with Takuru and Serika. In case you somehow missed over the course of the game that the world can be a pretty crappy place even in the Steins;Gate worldline, the writers put a big bold line under the point in that scene.

I’m going to give Chaos;Child 8.5 out of 10. It truly is remarkable how much better this VN is than Chaos;Head.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It's not hard to be better than chaos head tbh

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't like the true ending twist much either. I guess it explains a few things, like why all the kids are so unfit and why people sometimes react strangely to them (eg Arimura's mother in her route). But like... it really just doesn't matter. Basically all the consequences of it are covered up by delusions while it's active and as soon as the spell breaks it just goes away. If they were still old looking but enjoying life anyway in the final cg I think I'd like it more

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Chaos;Child has my favorite VN ending ever. It's one thing when a strong story ends strongly, but the Silent Sky End arrives at the end of an uneven and mediocre VN and immediately makes it better with the twist, then proceeds to resolve the story through mostly low-key conversations (where every line has huge implications) as opposed to, say, flashy but meaningless anime battles as I was expecting. The route wasted absolutely no time and then just ended on a perfect note, ultimately making me feel less bad, or maybe even good about having spent the previous 60 hours. It was quite a feat.

woodenchicken fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 28, 2021

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Anyone here seen the social deduction/murder mystery game NIS announced back in February? Name roughly translates to 'Detective Elimination' and is apparently about a group of 14 top detectives (each an expert in a specific field/focus of investigation) who've been gathered on a remote island to try and uncover the identity of a serial killer that's among them. I'm hoping since it's a NIS game it'll get localized since they have a pretty devoted Western fanbase, but you can never tell with these kind of things (I'm looking at you, Exile Election and Net High)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDTp2ULdoF8

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Mix. posted:

Anyone here seen the social deduction/murder mystery game NIS announced back in February? Name roughly translates to 'Detective Elimination' and is apparently about a group of 14 top detectives (each an expert in a specific field/focus of investigation) who've been gathered on a remote island to try and uncover the identity of a serial killer that's among them. I'm hoping since it's a NIS game it'll get localized since they have a pretty devoted Western fanbase, but you can never tell with these kind of things (I'm looking at you, Exile Election and Net High)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDTp2ULdoF8

Huh, looks interesting. I notice that each person in the intro came with a ranking, where most were between 1 and 30, except (what was presumably) the protagonist, which was 100. Do you know what that is? Is it supposed to be some kind of ranking of how good of a detective they are or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

MegaZeroX posted:

Huh, looks interesting. I notice that each person in the intro came with a ranking, where most were between 1 and 30, except (what was presumably) the protagonist, which was 100. Do you know what that is? Is it supposed to be some kind of ranking of how good of a detective they are or something?

From what I found on the website, it would appear that in this setting crime rates are significantly higher and as such there is an 'Detective Alliance' organization, funded by the government, who get resources and financing that independents do not. The protagonist is rank 100 as he is still in high school and part of his kidnapping to be taken to the island is him receiving the news that he's been accepted into their ranks. The one guy who doesn't have a rank was apparently one of the founding members who is retired from detective work.