Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Oh yeah! That movie. :lol:

Just another random script with Cloverfield added and some nod at the end to kaiju.

What are you talking about, the entire final act was a kaiju battle against Elizabeth Debicki :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I adore Cloverfield but its most iconic moment for me has to be Lizzy Caplan go pop. That shot has really stuck with me. Makes me wince just thinking about it.

Also a very early TJ Miller performance as the camera guy, cleverly named Hud.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
It seems like the people behind the new Godzilla anime, Godzilla Singular Point, were inspired by those articles about how Godzilla is physically impossible and made a show about geniuses who are well aware that giant monsters can't exist and are therefore very curious when giant monsters show up anyway.

Basically, whereas Godzilla vs Kong barely explained anything about the energy source that was the central to the plot, Godzilla Singular Point so far is going all in on attempting to justify the made-up science to an extent beyond anything a Godzilla franchise entry has ever done before.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah the fact that Singular Point is written by an actual physicist is wild. Definitely a real slow burn series and I am absolutely fascinated by it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So it's the Unified Theory of Superman's Powers but for monsters?

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah the fact that Singular Point is written by an actual physicist is wild. Definitely a real slow burn series and I am absolutely fascinated by it.

Wow, what??? I didn't know that.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Wow.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neurolimal posted:

My main memory of Cloverfield is how very Not Into the monster design people were.

Mine was Fox News clutching this pearls about Hollywood evoking 9/11 imagery.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1386697618718343168?s=20

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh poo poo they did a slight palette swap on Godzilla '98 and just pasted it right in there

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Apebraham.

Also drat that’s just rampage again

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lol solid name

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drat, their CGI is getting way better.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

That's really some bottom of the barrel gas station dvd titling right there.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Ngl having ape climbing the Washington Monument against all sense of scale made me laugh

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I found the original Blob insanely boring but it has been a long time since I've watched it.

Trip report: We watched the Blob last night and it's still insanely boring, probably one of the most overrated horror films of all time. It is bad in every way that Blob '88 is amazing. Steve McQueen's acting is downright strange, which would be interesting if 97% of the movie weren't people talking about things other than the plot.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Trip report: We watched the Blob last night and it's still insanely boring, probably one of the most overrated horror films of all time. It is bad in every way that Blob '88 is amazing. Steve McQueen's acting is downright strange, which would be interesting if 97% of the movie weren't people talking about things other than the plot.

Yeah I thought that movie was boring as hell too.

Blob ‘88 is one of the few bigger 80s movies left I haven’t seen so I’m taking my time getting around to that one.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
So Adam Wingard (Godzilla vs Kong's director) is reportedly in talks for another MonsterVerse movie, with one tentative title being "Son of Kong".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

Blob ‘88 is one of the few bigger 80s movies left I haven’t seen so I’m taking my time getting around to that one.

Get on that

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hexmage-SA posted:

So Adam Wingard (Godzilla vs Kong's director) is reportedly in talks for another MonsterVerse movie, with one tentative title being "Son of Kong".

As much as I’d love another Kong movie, all the hollow earth bullshit and Monarch truther nonsense in GvK has kinda soured me on any MonsterVerse continuation. And yes, I’m well aware that’s an absurd hill to die on when we’re talking about Kong/Godzilla movies but so be it.

I dunno, there’s something about Kong that just works better as a period piece where there isn’t crazy future tech and Coast to Coast AM pseudoscience.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Hexmage-SA posted:

Do we If they're gonna release the deleted scenes for GvK? We're probably missing the ending with Kong mounting the dead corpse of mecha G.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

people really bent out of shape about that fluoride joke huh

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mandrel posted:

Can you really blame anyone for being critical of conspiracy bullshit after the last few years

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Mighty joe young > son of kong

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

Get on that

I thought this was the horror thread; why are we even talking about The Blob in here

Anyway I’m saving Blob ‘88 for some special time

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

david_a posted:

I thought this was the horror thread; why are we even talking about The Blob in here

Anyway I’m saving Blob ‘88 for some special time

Because this is the thread for talking about giant monster movies.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mandrel posted:

It's like a third of the film's runtime.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can you really blame anyone for being critical of conspiracy bullshit after the last few years

more the opposite, really

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mandrel posted:

more the opposite, really

Not sure what this means, but in America the last 4 years have been politics devolving into nothing but dumb conspiracy bullshit with Q and all that so people aren't exactly thrilled about a hero conspiracy theorist.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think the big challenge they're going to come up against exploring the Hollow Earth in subsequent films is the incredibly racist foundations of Hollow Earth theory and ancient civilizations in general. They might be able to sidestep it to some degree by not exploring the history of that civilization, but I doubt that they have the restraint. If you read anything at all about the Hollow Earth it's all built on the back of ancient brilliant white people who seeded every major accomplishment of mankind.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

feedmyleg posted:

I think the big challenge they're going to come up against exploring the Hollow Earth in subsequent films is the incredibly racist foundations of Hollow Earth theory and ancient civilizations in general. They might be able to sidestep it to some degree by not exploring the history of that civilization, but I doubt that they have the restraint. If you read anything at all about the Hollow Earth it's all built on the back of ancient brilliant white people who seeded every major accomplishment of mankind.

It's not real, they can change it however they like

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't think you need to worry about how they handle a civilization that is made up of gigantic sentient apes within the movies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

feedmyleg posted:

That may be the origin of the idea but they are not forced to follow it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hollow earth stuff vastly predates Nazi morons trying to appropriate it. Anyway, it should be pretty obvious they are not doing that version of hollow earth since when Kong went underground he was not greeted by a lost civilization of hyper-advanced Nazis.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2018/01/02/close-encounters-racist-kind

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/davidhellman/status/1387171435815178240?s=20

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
GvK already did a pretty good job at taking a surprising amount of details from batshit 19th century hollow earth theory without the racism, so I wouldn't be worried.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth predates the Theosophists by a few years. So the racists back then were, just like the racists of today, stealing from pop fiction. So just don't use any of the weird racist stuff the Theosophists and later literal nazis added and you're fine. Journey to the Center of the Earth basically just has it be crazy dinosaur times, with the only human being a bigfoot type dude who doesn't talk, no magic aryans.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Hollow earth stuff vastly predates Nazi morons trying to appropriate it. Anyway, it should be pretty obvious they are not doing that version of hollow earth since when Kong went underground he was not greeted by a lost civilization of hyper-advanced Nazis.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2018/01/02/close-encounters-racist-kind

Not gonna lie, we'd all watch a movie about Kong going apeshit on Nazis hiding underneath the Earth.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Kong/iron sky crossover does sound funny ngl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Thinking on it, the one thing I didn't enjoy about GvK was godzilla having killed all the other Kaiju, but Kong. I would have liked to have seen the turtle at least.