Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

The Moon Monster posted:

I think Tainted Forgotten would be a lot more fun if he just started with the birthright ability. Or if you find birthright, I guess.

For me he's fun like 90% of the time, but those 10% of the times that his schtick just does not work is so aggravating. I can't even imagine fighting Delirium as that thing..

And yeah birthright is huge for it. Maybe should be guaranteed to show up at some point on your run or something if it can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

2 Hush kills down and hey, I even beat that fucker Delirium finally

Gotta say: I am not a fan of how fast that fight gets near the end lmfao

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

You could go a long way towards making Void more fun by allowing the item slurp activation to work when not fully charged, only using the charge for the absorbed active items. Maybe even have it start off containing a random active item! The biggest problem with the item is that it incentivises slurping up every passive that’s worse than a tears/damage up, though, which means you don’t get all the weird synergies that are half the fun of Isaac. I was playing some Apollyon today, and while he’s not a difficult character in the way that the Lost or Jacob and Esau are difficult, he’s a lot less fun.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
What's the item that makes you fart out of your butt when you run around? I got it for the first time today off of an Eden reroll and didn't recognize it.

EDIT: Oh it's jupiter, planetarium item. I see.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

tainted eden is cool but his gimmick shouldn't gently caress with your health.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
friend just got the synergy bethany + Curse of the Tower + remote detonator

if you have the latter two items the troll bombs don't explode until you hit the detonator

edit: "and Book of Virtues + Remote Detonator mean that you only have a limit of 6 wisps and you can't spawn them from item use, but you spawn a wisp from each bomb, and you can detonate those wisp's bombs like a more controllable ipecac"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

tainted eden is cool but his gimmick shouldn't gently caress with your health.

Yeah this basically killed the character for me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kawalimus posted:

For me he's fun like 90% of the time, but those 10% of the times that his schtick just does not work is so aggravating. I can't even imagine fighting Delirium as that thing..

And yeah birthright is huge for it. Maybe should be guaranteed to show up at some point on your run or something if it can.

I just had a pretty amazing run that got through boss rush and Mega Satan, died on Delirium with him right around 50% though. It totally sucked, I recommend a gnawed leaf run or something.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Challenge #45 just gave me an active item that was Blood Rights, but without the self-damage, still on instant recharge, in Basement 1.

Kinda feel bad about how not-zany that clear was, there was just no reason to pick up any other items.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

and thats that, all regular characters done

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

What's the item that makes you fart out of your butt when you run around? I got it for the first time today off of an Eden reroll and didn't recognize it.

EDIT: Oh it's jupiter, planetarium item. I see.

How the hell did they miss making that one Uranus?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

goferchan posted:

How the hell did they miss making that one Uranus?

the joke is that you're a gas giant (it also makes you very slow, but the farting propels you to speed you up, you see)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

wow censer really sucks for the beast fight

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
does anyone know who put this tool together? http://theriebel.de/tboirah/

it's pretty useful and i'd love to know if they're planning on sorting out the rest of the repentance unlocks

edit: it's just a thing that shows you what achievements you don't have and what categories they're from

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

It feels like censer makes it much easier to get to whatever final boss you’re trying to beat and then it kills you.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I'm having a really hard time avoiding the TV monster boss's repeated charge attack where he shoots out a ton of feathers. It seems like I just can't get to the side of it before it hits me. Any tips?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

municipal shrimp posted:

I'm having a really hard time avoiding the TV monster boss's repeated charge attack where he shoots out a ton of feathers. It seems like I just can't get to the side of it before it hits me. Any tips?

If you have high enough speed you can just kind of run between opposite corners and the feathers will be pretty slow and spread out by the time they reach you. If you're at base speed (or worse!) that attack is pretty nasty though.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
That feather attack annihilated me on my tainted unlock runs to the point where I only won on 3/17 of them. But yeah go from like top to bottom or corner to corner or whatever and it's easier like others said. I still hate the attack though because if it spams it you can't really hit it at the same time so it can drag out that fight.

My maybe unpopular opinion is that Lilith is much much harder to dodge with than Jacob and Esau. My god I just can't play that character. It is SO frustrating how what I'm firing from and what I'm dodging/moving with isn't the same. It's the same reason why Isaac's Heart and Guillotine(for me) are so difficult to use. At least J&E you are still centered. My only hope with her is that I get good upgrades and that Cambion Conception spawns another incubus on its first activation.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lilith takes a bit of getting used to but I can't imagine her being anywhere near as bad as J+E. I think I'd prefer her even if her Incubus could take damage. Also she does more damage and it actually scales properly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

If you have high enough speed you can just kind of run between opposite corners and the feathers will be pretty slow and spread out by the time they reach you. If you're at base speed (or worse!) that attack is pretty nasty though.

Spend the whole time on the move. Run to the adjacent corner when it's coming for you. You still have to weave between the feathers, so this isn't perfect, but you won't get hit by dogma and the feathers will be pretty spread out when you have to weave through them.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Yeah your best bet is to try and anticipate the angle Dogma will be coming towards you at and move perpendicular to it. It takes a bit to get the hang of it but it's consistent in its timing so you'll eventually get the hang of it

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

That attack was the bane of my existence for a while but it is reliably dodgeable as long as you have the speed to move around the room. I really wish it was a first-phase attack though - as others have said, it’s just boring to watch him whizzing around without any way to damage him. Dogma is a fight all about that pre-Beast chip damage anyway so I wish they’d let him do it once then cut him off.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Has anyone else thought about the fact that their x0.5 Speed Up modifer means that J+E are usually the slowest character in the game by the time you reach the end bosses? Dogma spin and Beast suck (the strength of the suck depends on how far away your character is from The Beast so it separates them) are already really nasty for them and their speed penalty compounds that. Tough fight even with 15 effective health on one character and a Wafer effect on the other.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Prop Wash posted:

That attack was the bane of my existence for a while but it is reliably dodgeable as long as you have the speed to move around the room. I really wish it was a first-phase attack though - as others have said, it’s just boring to watch him whizzing around without any way to damage him. Dogma is a fight all about that pre-Beast chip damage anyway so I wish they’d let him do it once then cut him off.
The weird thing is he can use the spin attack three times in a row. You'd expect there to be a check that forbids that from happening.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I swear, I fail more alt-path runs to just taking the wrong exit by habit, than actually dying. :cripes:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've failed to unlock so many tainted characters because I thought I dropped a trinket in basement 1, not 2 :negative:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

After mashing my head against J+E and Bethany for a while it's such a relief to know that Tainted Bethany exists. Got a Car Battery on Basement 2, got an Angel Room on Caves 1, slammed all 42 stored hearts into multiple godheads and sacred tears. What an absolute, hilarious mess.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 26, 2021

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Inzombiac posted:

I've failed to unlock so many tainted characters because I thought I dropped a trinket in basement 1, not 2 :negative:

Just drop em in boss rooms instead of treasure rooms. Then you can't miss the cracked key :eng101:

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Kawalimus posted:

That feather attack annihilated me on my taint...

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I finally beat the beast with Isaac. I had a pretty good run going with Dr fetus + poison creep bombs that got me all the way to the mosuleum. Then I accidentally stepped on a 1 die room because I thought that only rerolled items on the floor. Luckily all my stuff got rerolled into an even better build that had 3 or 4 familiars, fruit cake, max tears, and around 10 damage a shot. Still needed a full heal to get through the entire final fight though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Familiars seem really good now. Conjoined being so common is a huge boost, especially if you find a magician card for your tough fights.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

No Wave posted:

Familiars seem really good now. Conjoined being so common is a huge boost, especially if you find a magician card for your tough fights.

Yeah. The kinda bad ones like Bobby, Maggie, and Mongo got buffed and the really bad ones like Abel.... well... they tried? I think the only familiar who got worse overall is Bumbo and that's more due to the fact he's harder to feed with recharge abuse strats being more difficult then before.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I recently picked up Repentance after not playing for a long time. Three thoughts:

I feel like a ton of items got damage increases added to them or otherwise buffed, and that's a great thing - part of the reason that I stopped playing is because my item pool got so diluted with items that were cool, but not necessarily useful, and it made getting good runs kind of a pain in the rear end.
Living In The Light absolutely whips.
I wish it wasn't such a pain in the rear end to unlock Tainted characters.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I beat Mom which is the first time in probably years that I've actually finished a single-player game to any degree. :unsmith:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
There is some kind of minimum speed boost when going up against the Beast. I had a Maggie run where I kept getting bad luck speed downs and eventually went for them intentionally just to see how slow I could get. Managed to scrape through Dogma with 0.24 speed, but was noticeably much faster afterwards.

I don't recommend anybody try it.

Speaking of, I was attempting to screenshot my hilariously bad speed just before going into the Dogma fight, but every screenshot I took had the pause overlay. Does that happen to anyone else? How do you get around it?

e: Thank you

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 26, 2021

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

There is some kind of minimum speed boost when going up against the Beast. I had a Maggie run where I kept getting bad luck speed downs and eventually went for them intentionally just to see how slow I could get. Managed to scrape through Dogma with 0.24 speed, but was noticeably much faster afterwards.

I don't recommend anybody try it.

Speaking of, I was attempting to screenshot my hilariously bad speed just before going into the Dogma fight, but every screenshot I took had the pause overlay. Does that happen to anyone else? How do you get around it?

Pause, press F to change from fullscreen to windowed and take the screenshot. Screenshots of fullscreen isaac usually shows the main menu, pause screen or a black screen for some reason.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

municipal shrimp posted:

I can reliably dodge this now, and it used to murder me. For me there were two key insights. The first is that he doesn’t come from a random direction - he always comes from the same direction he left from, so you know in advance which direction you should be dodging in. And the second is that because the room is rectangular and his trajectory is set at the start of his charge, you have more time to dodge if he comes at you vertically than if he comes at you horizontally. So what you want to do after the first charge is race to the bottom of the screen so that his next charge puts him in a good position, dodge that next charge, weave through the feathers to the middle of the screen, and then alternate between dodging and weaving through feathers back to the middle.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I beat Mom which is the first time in probably years that I've actually finished a single-player game to any degree. :unsmith:

Awesome, good job! Beating Mom for the first time is a great moment. What kind of run was it?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I still cannot deal with the goddamn Mother fight. Even if I go in with a billion hearts and plenty of damage she just annihilates me instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SkeletonHero posted:

You actually receive an item when you beat Dogma:

https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Dogma_(Item)

It gives 0.1 speed, 2 damage, and enough soul hearts to get you to 6 total hearts if you're below 6