Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

EorayMel posted:

So it can tap into the INTERNET OF THINGS so it can allow strangers access to your living space to do their laundry at random hours so your washing machine can pay off the debt it got into from the toaster's ponzi, you see.

There are smart toasters now? Lol

We blew up a "smart kettle" not that long ago. It's admin interface was exposed to the web with default creds, allowing you in that interface to keep turning it on.. eventually the heating element exploded. Did a lol at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

CyberPingu posted:

There are smart toasters now? Lol

We blew up a "smart kettle" not that long ago. It's admin interface was exposed to the web with default creds, allowing you in that interface to keep turning it on.. eventually the heating element exploded. Did a lol at that.

every day one step closer to this

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Boxturret posted:

sickos can do all that???
:yeshaha:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i don't think i ever actually read the text before and now i'm wondering which 2 digits of the russian nuclear launch codes were too hard to guess

was it 5 and 8

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

it's happening.gif again https://twitter.com/acpandy/status/1386436059307909120?s=20

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
if only a brave and heroic bearwhale would come and save us from number going down

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
buttcoin lol

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Boxturret posted:

if only a brave and heroic bearwhale would come and save us from number going down

those are bearwhales; you must be thinking of the mythical bullwhale

or the great and all knowing satoshi, may his teeth ever grow longer

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

anything that gets hotter than 50 celsius should never be connected to the internet.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
ugh we hired a new IT guy and in his intro he put he was a "Crypto Swing Trader & Yield Farmer"

at least he works at a different location.

why yes he did work a crypto startup prior to us hiring him why do you ask?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

ugh we hired a new IT guy and in his intro he put he was a "Crypto Swing Trader & Yield Farmer"

at least he works at a different location.

why yes he did work a crypto startup prior to us hiring him why do you ask?
hoping for the

Dustbowl

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Munin posted:

Yeah, but then you might think of the value evaporating from the black hole of your idea.

Ahem…”virtual” value. :science:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Boxturret posted:

I saw people/law enforcement wirelessly take over a car’s computer’s WiFi router and slow it down to stationary on YouTube. I didn’t get upset. Some idiot already endangering other persons by causing a chase is a perfect use-case!

The scary thought is kids stop throwing concrete blocks off bridges into traffic and start both speeding up and simultaneously burning out brakes and steering on big rigs. If only they had to post about their fun on an easily searchable yet public database.

Holy poo poo I think I just found the first RL usage for a blockchain!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
the number of tethers printed has just hit 50 billion :toot:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Boxturret posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/11/world/middleeast/iran-nuclear-natanz.html

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hammerite posted:

the number of tethers printed has just hit 50 billion :toot:

theyre fully backed by 50b usd too right?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DerekSmartymans posted:

Holy poo poo I think I just found the first RL usage for a blockchain!
no you didn't

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

fart simpson posted:

i think they backpedalled on it and said they were actually 75% backed or something. so they totally have 37.5b USD its fine

but also pretty sure they later backpedalled again and said they were backed partly by usd and partly by crypto. so in other words they low key admitted they are largely backed by the same bitscoin they are working hard to keep at an inflated price. the crypto world ignored this completely of course

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hammerite posted:

i think they backpedalled on it and said they were actually 75% backed or something. so they totally have 37.5b USD its fine

but also pretty sure they later backpedalled again and said they were backed partly by usd and partly by crypto. so in other words they low key admitted they are largely backed by the same bitscoin they are working hard to keep at an inflated price. the crypto world ignored this completely of course

lol

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

yes backed by crypto (as valued by internal valuation) and accounts receivable and loans from 3rd parties as well as affiliates.

lmao

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/endocrimes/status/1386081412638466057

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i don’t know poo poo about this chia thing, but will big platter drives even be useful for this? would you need to read all the space you’ve allocated to find out if you’re the lottery winner each block? so like your 18tb drive will take literally entire day to read into memory.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Eeyo posted:

i don’t know poo poo about this chia thing, but will big platter drives even be useful for this? would you need to read all the space you’ve allocated to find out if you’re the lottery winner each block? so like your 18tb drive will take literally entire day to read into memory.

look, it's not complicated. chia told them which number needed to be big, so they got the biggest they could find

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

fart simpson posted:

Sure, just like Musk is.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

so actually answer me something, people who might have more macroeconomics knowledge than I do. Given the open tap on tether, isn't what were seeing in the bitcoin price at least partially a type of hyperinflation?

Because they keep printing more and more tether, which notionally is backed in a one-to-one ratio with US dollars, and use it to buy bitcoin, thereby effectively increasing the supply of tether while decreasing the supply of bitcoin in a feedback loop akin to the Weimar Republic printing papiermarks to pay off debt. So is it just a fiction that bitcoin's are worth 52,000 right now because they're really worth 52,000 tether which themselves most likely cannot be redeemed for their US dollar value? And the reason is hyperinflation is only affecting bitcoin is because, what else can you buy with tether? It's the only commodity denominated in tether, hence it's the only commodity that the prices is rising in.

Because I find it hard to believe that the amount of money that seems to be entering or exiting the market in any one day could possibly be occurring given the issues people had with banks and the like.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

BTC is "worth" 52k if you can find someone who will let you trade it for $52k in a real bank account which you can use the money in. I think the answer to that right now is almost yes, with a lot of paperwork attached.

Are the tether people really printing tether and then buying bitcoin, and claiming tether is fully backed by USD + BTC reserves? that sounds really dumb, considering they are pegged to USD.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

pointsofdata posted:

BTC is "worth" 52k if you can find someone who will let you trade it for $52k in a real bank account which you can use the money in. I think the answer to that right now is almost yes, with a lot of paperwork attached.

Are the tether people really printing tether and then buying bitcoin, and claiming tether is fully backed by USD + BTC reserves? that sounds really dumb, considering they are pegged to USD.

I don't think you'll find many people here arguing that tether are geniuses playing 4d chess. they dug themselves a hole, and the only way "out" is to keep digging

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pointsofdata posted:

i don't know, that sounds too stupid, they must be explaining it wrong

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

if you print $100 mil tether, then sell it for bitcoin, $100 mil tether exists and you have $100 mil in bitcoin backing it

there's absolutely nothing that could go wrong

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

remember when that one bitcoiner years ago had that idea that if everyone just agreed that bitcoin was worth a million dollars each it would be worth a million dollars each? it's that but with a few extra steps

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cryptominers continue their quest to exploit every possible resource in the world: https://layerci.com/blog/crypto-miners-are-killing-free-ci/

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
From now on CI only supports programs proven to terminate

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Eeyo posted:

i haven't read anything and odn't care to start now, but i assume you just have a small and rapidly searchable index of big numbers, and then the actual ginormous blobs of math data that you go to answer whatevre question

it's probably somehow stupider than what i pulled out of my rear end just now

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
yeah that sounds right according to this. Looks like it filters out most of the plots, only 1 out of every 512 plots is eligible, and then diving deeper into the noise when there's an initial match

https://github.com/Chia-Network/chia-blockchain/wiki/FAQ#what-is-the-plot-filter-and-why-didnt-my-plot-pass-it

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
not surprising that buttcoiners are buying up all the hard disks for farming chia. it got posted about in the grey thread and i went looking for ~the whitepaper~ and the authors seemed convinced (based on a skim read) that it would only be worth using spare storage that you happen to have lying around, and that no-one would buy storage specifically for the purpose. which I thought at the time was giving the kinds of people who are into cryptocurrency far too much credit.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
if crypto has to exist, maybe it's better than running GPUs at full tilt, but then again it shouldn't exist at all

also the idealism of "you can run it on your phone" is very cute, as if using 100gb on your phone (1 plot) against a network of close to an exabyte would ever make sense

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ok yeah i guess a slower disk isn't too much of a problem, they've got a build a storage rig guide on their wiki as well https://github.com/Chia-Network/chia-blockchain/wiki/Reference-Farming-Hardware, they just put 16 USB hard drives into a 16x USB hub, so clearly you don't need to read all that much stuff.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

thing that definitely doesn't use a lot of electricity: rotational hard drive seeks

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

njsykora posted:

honestly I didn't expect us to be hitting the "nfts are being put in oscars goodie bags and also exploiting the memory of a dead guy" point this quick
https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/1386121283025342468

and it's stolen assets

https://twitter.com/matt2dee/status/1386485451578609664?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that statistic from a few weeks ago that bitcoin uses more power than the entire world's installed solar energy systems produce finally switched me from "vague disdain" for cryptocurrency and its moron supporters to "active hate." this stupid loving dunning-krugerrand internet funbux poo poo has completely eradicated a massive step we've made away from fossil fuels.

i used to just roll my eyes at it like i would with people getting into any other get-rich-quick scheme but now it's just unconscionable.