Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Biowarfare posted:

Wait, it's possible to coexist voice and data service on the same DSL line/number?

https://youtu.be/NAosvwyGf1c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Biowarfare posted:

don't log into sites with your company credentials!

[half of SSO-enabled sites redirect to one single well known SSO domain]

[other half of SSO-enabled sites directly talk to LDAP/AD/similar and use their own native untrustworthy login page]
After the Great Fuckwittery at $CLIENT I realised that the purpose of SSO is to help you make peace with the fact that some users will try login to anything if you let them try. This came about because people got really clever and managed to trick people into throwing their creds into MS forms, and pretty much all of the standard "don't get phished" advice was bypassed. SSO means you just force everyone to change their password and the estate is secured.

Accept that you will get pwnt. Plan to recovery elegantly.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Some carriers when you port out a main or billing telephone number will close the account unless you specify that you want to retain the dsl on a data only live. Guessing that's what happened here. Ouch.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Interesting. I don't have a landline and I don't know anyone else that does. My one foray into DSL service years ago was symmetrical 50 Mbps and I don't believe it had a number or could be used for making calls at all. I wonder if this is why my mobile hotspots have phone numbers that don't respond to calls or texts as a legacy side effect.

edit: bing has informed me this is called "dry pair / dry loop" and is the most common now (?)

Impotence fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 22, 2021

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The legacy systems telcos use require a billing telephone number, and yes your hotspot also has a billing only phone number.

I worked years at a telco care center and at an ISP.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The folks asking about DSL on a phone line make me feel real old.

I remember how amazing it was when we finally got DSL at home. Not only did my little UO character run twice as fast, but I didn't die when my mom picked up the phone. GOD DAMNIT MOMS! I'VE BEEN FARMING DESTARD FOR HOURS AND NOW YOU GOT ME KILLED AND I'VE LOST EVERYTHING!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm betting if you followed back some of the more inaccessible landline cables at my mom's house you'd still find some of these plugged in behind dressers and such.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

klosterdev posted:

This has been my take too, but I've seen a lot of things in the frame of systems ever since reading "The Design of Everyday Things", which has done a lot of good for my career. Phoenix Project also had a lot of influence in that regard.

Can someone please, please, please rewrite Phoenix Project so it's actually understandable and not stilted, awkward dialogue punctuated with "when I was in the Marines" every other paragraph. If there was supposed to be some kind of idea on how to do business or IT better in that book, it was lost to me because I only got halfway through before bringing it back to the library in disgust.

It's like... dude, it's OK if you aren't a good fiction writer but want to present a business scenario as nonfiction. Write the book as a nonfiction book with fictional scenarios. Don't contrive a situation where they ask and beg and plead with a guy to take over a department, and then have those exact same people berate him 4 hours after he took over about how lousy he's doing at the project.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phoenix Project is about a devops preacher self-fellating and everyone standing up and clapping for him.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It’s a really good book right until you actually ‘do’ DevOps and then you realize it’s all a sick joke

There’s also the DevOps Handbook which :shrug: but I saw John Willis at a DevOps Day conference a few years ago and he was loving hilarious

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Biowarfare posted:

Interesting. I don't have a landline and I don't know anyone else that does. My one foray into DSL service years ago was symmetrical 50 Mbps and I don't believe it had a number or could be used for making calls at all. I wonder if this is why my mobile hotspots have phone numbers that don't respond to calls or texts as a legacy side effect.

edit: bing has informed me this is called "dry pair / dry loop" and is the most common now (?)

The last time I had DSL was back when 512kbps was the standard.

I now have 400Mbps for less than $20/mo additional. But I'm still paying more than my friends with symmetrical 1Gbps Rocket Fiber.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

The folks asking about DSL on a phone line make me feel real old.

I remember how amazing it was when we finally got DSL at home. Not only did my little UO character run twice as fast, but I didn't die when my mom picked up the phone. GOD DAMNIT MOMS! I'VE BEEN FARMING DESTARD FOR HOURS AND NOW YOU GOT ME KILLED AND I'VE LOST EVERYTHING!

man i still remember snottily telling my mom to not talk on the phone so much because it was interfering with some online bullshit i was doing. boy did i get yelled at

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I applied for a handful of DevOps jobs but never got a call back. My previous job titles are 'system administrator', 'web developer', and 'network administrator'. I have a ton of experience with linux, ruby, python, windows, and networking

:iiam:

I should change one of them to devops just for fun

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Phoenix Project isn't the best written book, but it got me thinking about systemic IT problems being caused by bad systems and practices instead of individual bad decisions or people, which I realized was heavily going on in my own workplace.

A lot of that poo poo is obvious to me now, but there was a time when it wasn't, and that realization was valuable for me.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's been quite a while since I read Phoenix Project, but I recall I was reading it with a few other jaded coworkers and we were able to talk about it in terms of which archetypes we were seeing in our co-workers. Yeah, as a novel it's poorly written, but that's just par for the course with business fiction. At least it's a quick easy read, I breezed through it in a few days I think. I also recently read "The Rollout" which is an equivalent book describing SAFe and yeah it sucks as a novel, but it's a quick read and you get the information. I'd say as a broad introduction it's much easier to read a book like that than to read an instructional non-fiction book that just describes the topics. I need to pick up the next book, Unicorn Project I think, which covers the "dev" side rather than the "ops" side that Phoenix Project did.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

One of the guys on the VM team, probably posted:

Hey, I'll just move these VM templates over here where I think they're a better fit without consulting with anyone. That should be fine. It's not like I haven't done the exact same thing in the past and broken poo poo for everyone, right?

What do you mean our VM automation is broken?

He's so loving bad at his job.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We bought 3 Uberconference accounts and people can use them for meetings. They decided to manage them using Outlook calendars and then a group of secretaries in executive administration actually make the meetings in Uberconference's website

Now they decided to make the calendars public so anyone can create items and also see the meeting details. This will end well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Recruiter called me in like 25 minutes. It pays a little more than it said in the ad, but not much.

YOU DOUBLE DOG DARE ME?

Recruiter setup a 12:00 interview today with the IT Director

He never called. :rolleyes:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Biowarfare posted:

This is also known as an "alarm line", used for home alarm systems. That used to be a "tarrifed service", which means telcos had to sell you one even if they didn't want to offer it. This may have changed in recent years.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Recruiter setup a 12:00 interview today with the IT Director

He never called. :rolleyes:

Set it back up for 4:00, just got a 90 minute phone call and am getting an in-person interview

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

Set it back up for 4:00, just got a 90 minute phone call and am getting an in-person interview

:hfive: :yotj:

Nice! You get good vibes from the interview?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

:hfive: :yotj:

Nice! You get good vibes from the interview?

Actually yea. Sounds like a lot of poo poo to play with.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
. Wrong thread

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I came into work yesterday to find an email naming me our new Drupal SME. I don't know poo poo about Drupal, and just quit drinking.

FML :negative:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That sounds like a great reason to never come into work on a Saturday.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

I came into work yesterday to find an email naming me our new Drupal SME. I don't know poo poo about Drupal, and just quit drinking.

FML :negative:

Keep on updating that poo poo like a hawk. Make sure you know about all the plugins too and keep those up to date as well. Make sure it's firewalled to poo poo in a DMZ without any access to the rest of your network.

Goonspeed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’m at the top of a scissor lift right now replacing a switch and waiting for the vendor to call me, so it could be worse.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

spankmeister posted:

Keep on updating that poo poo like a hawk. Make sure you know about all the plugins too and keep those up to date as well. Make sure it's firewalled to poo poo in a DMZ without any access to the rest of your network.

Goonspeed.

we are a hosting company, and do not proactively update customer sites, tho we do send out notices.

the recent exploits appear to be making sure I have plenty of practice with drush and composer!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

we are a hosting company, and do not proactively update customer sites, tho we do send out notices.

the recent exploits appear to be making sure I have plenty of practice with drush and composer!

I'd honestly start updating my resume at this point. You're about go get a load of poo poo with no way to shovel it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Haha welp.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jeoh posted:

I'd honestly start updating my resume at this point. You're about go get a load of poo poo with no way to shovel it.

it could be worse. I could be the guy who got wordpress

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Started a job at an MSP last week. It's going okay, recently found out why the CEO said "welcome to the blender" on my first day so that's nice.

Learning a ton about AD! I had touched it for the Google IT Support Professional cert but hadn't had any real hands on experience. Just found out that, if you search for someone in AD, you can't edit the attributes. They have to be navigated to, then the attributes can be edited, like hiding them from Exchange.

Something tells me learning Powershell would be a good move.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Oyster posted:

Started a job at an MSP last week. It's going okay, recently found out why the CEO said "welcome to the blender" on my first day so that's nice.

Learning a ton about AD! I had touched it for the Google IT Support Professional cert but hadn't had any real hands on experience. Just found out that, if you search for someone in AD, you can't edit the attributes. They have to be navigated to, then the attributes can be edited, like hiding them from Exchange.

Something tells me learning Powershell would be a good move.

Learning PowerShell is absolutely a good move if you're doing anything with Windows, Active Directory, Office 365, or Azure. PowerShell in a Month of Lunches is getting on in age, but it's still good for learning the basics.

There are some weird limitations in ADUC for searching vs opening a object from the main window. For example, if you need the advanced options, they just don't show up on the searched object. I'm sure someone smarter than me can explain the specifics and the reasonings, but I'll just use search to find an object's path more quickly.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Use ADAC, it will also display the powershell for the task you are doing.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

The Fool posted:

This is awesome and how does no one here know about this, thank you!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We’re a bunch of olds and learning new things is hard

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The Fool posted:

Uhm, ok this is awesome

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Fool posted:

Well, I learned something today. Thanks!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Just opened up ADAC and clicking the back button on my mouse doesn't take me back an OU, any intended replacement for going back/forward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Fool posted:

Onpremise exchange management console used to do that too