Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Turin Turambar posted:

It's like a console/dos command for Android. You need the adb drivers/utility... or Sidequest. Sidequest has a button to execude adb commands.

Thanks! I'll mess around with Sidequest later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

...and finally solved it. Very first impression for Air Link, it's like VD. No better, no worse?
Well, controller tracking seems better, there is a slight lag with VD, but I would have to compare specifically jumping from app to another to be sure. I still have to test the framerate more accurately than going by feel.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 26, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I tried some AirLink last night with Beat Saber (on steam) and it “worked” well enough but I had this weird thing going on where certain elements like the energy bar were reprojected and moved all over the place. Basically anything “fixed” would move around while the blocks and blades were tracked/synced correctly. It was distracting and I didn’t mess much more with it but aside from that it seems to work.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
In case anyone else has to go Googling for how to enable Air Link

1. Update both the Oculus PC app and the headset to latest versions, should be version 28
2. Turn on Air Link in the "beta" section of the PC app
3. Turn on Air Link in the "experimental" part of the headset settings - reboot your headset if it isn't there
4. Go to Settings > Quick Actions in the headset and pick Air Link there

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Turin Turambar posted:

It's like a console/dos command for Android. You need the adb drivers/utility... or Sidequest. Sidequest has a button to execude adb commands.

I gave this a try - the options appeared but when I tried to connect my PC and Quest 2 by airlink, the process didn't complete. No error code, just no indication that anything was happening and no way to quit the process. I rebooted my Quest, and now I can't even get into the Quests' settings on the headset - I just get a blank grey menu and the UI doesn't respond.

roffels fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 26, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I dunno if anyone here ever played tagpro https://tagpro.koalabeast.com/ but it was a super simple browser-based capture the flag game with a handful of powerups and really fun movement. Gorilla Capture The Flag would be awesome.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Still no v28 for my headset, I wish they weren't rolling this out so slowly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

roffels posted:

I gave this a try - the options appeared but when I tried to connect my PC and Quest 2 by airlink, the process didn't complete. No error code, just no indication that anything was happening and no way to quit the process. I rebooted my Quest, and now I can't even get into the Quests' settings on the headset - I just get a blank grey menu and the UI doesn't respond.

Ugh, sorry, for me it worked fine. Twice, even, as I had to repeat it again after another factory reset to fix my wifi issue.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Turin Turambar posted:

Ugh, sorry, for me it worked fine. Twice, even, as I had to repeat it again after another factory reset to fix my wifi issue.

It's all good, I got it figured out. I disabled "Developer Mode" using the Android app, not sure if it was at all related but everything worked just fine after that. I just gave Airlink a quick test and it seems to be working fine! And I didn't have any black/blank visuals temporarily like I sometimes do in Virtual Desktop!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Booyah- posted:

Still no v28 for my headset, I wish they weren't rolling this out so slowly.

You can force it by sideloading the update: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculusquest/wiki/guides/manualupdate.

e: update zip is here: https://vrdiscord.com/10000000_199590601735813_1333856360172557081_n.zip

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Turin Turambar posted:

...and finally solved it. Very first impression for Air Link, it's like VD. No better, no worse?
Well, controller tracking seems better, there is a slight lag with VD, but I would have to compare specifically jumping from app to another to be sure. I still have to test the framerate more accurately than going by feel.

I suspect Airlink shines more if your Wifi connection isn't as good. I was playing far from my router (and not using my local PC card) and airlink "felt" better. However, now I want to stick with VD to play with the 120hz mode.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly it’s nice to have both VD and airlink as an option. I’m sure they’ll each have their niche for a while

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Performance wise, it seems I can replicate the same difference I saw months ago ago in Link vs VD. Air Link behaves like Link, in that it's more performant. Just in my SteamVR home I could see with the fps indicator, I don't even need to enter in any extra game to see the difference.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Using VD seems way less frustrating than the AirLink stuff. Oculus' link software with the nav bar thing at the bottom has always been kind of frustrating to me, and I appreciated how VD let you launch stuff directly from it (even if it didn't always work). Going in and out of the steam overlay in VD seems less of a hassle too, I had a friend messaging me on Steam and the only way I figured to deal with it was go back into the Link screen by holding one of the buttons down and then opening up the monitor view where I found the chat window and did it that way. Maybe I missed an easier way to do that though.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does AirLink basically act like you are connected with a cable and back in the Rift S interface?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Booyah- posted:

Does AirLink basically act like you are connected with a cable and back in the Rift S interface?

That's exactly what it does, yeah.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Personally I like airlink because desktop clicks work, with virtual desktop it would take 3-10 VR clicks to launch or minimize a program.

They're still probably ironing some kinks out though.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly it’s nice to have both VD and airlink as an option. I’m sure they’ll each have their niche for a while

Definitely. VD is still the way to go for playing pancake games imo and the built in SBS 3D mode is great for games that support it and stuff like Dolphin. Tomb Raider maxed out in SBS 3D is really cool.

That said, since AirLink came out my primary use for VD has been opening the Oculus app so I can get into AirLink.

Getting to use OpenComposite wirelessly with the Bethesda VR games is so good. Gained a good 20 FPS with FO4 and it seems more stable to boot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Leathal posted:

Getting to use OpenComposite wirelessly with the Bethesda VR games is so good. Gained a good 20 FPS with FO4 and it seems more stable to boot.

I saw a post in Reddit about that and I intended to ask about it. Is it true you can gain 10-25 fps in games? Because if that's right, wow, I didn't know steamvr was so bad!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Turin Turambar posted:

I saw a post in Reddit about that and I intended to ask about it. Is it true you can gain 10-25 fps in games? Because if that's right, wow, I didn't know steamvr was so bad!

It's true, but OpenComposite support is kinda spotty and development is very slow. I would not install it globally and I would research every game before using it to see what the problems are.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/DailyDunkaccino/status/1386749418141982721?s=20

VR was a mistake

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gort posted:

In case anyone else has to go Googling for how to enable Air Link

1. Update both the Oculus PC app and the headset to latest versions, should be version 28
2. Turn on Air Link in the "beta" section of the PC app
3. Turn on Air Link in the "experimental" part of the headset settings - reboot your headset if it isn't there
4. Go to Settings > Quick Actions in the headset and pick Air Link there

I've rebooted the dumb thing like 6 times and the setting still isn't there in the Experimental tab

Edit: And flipped the language settings back and forth, and connected to a hotspot, and plugged in Link, and all the other junk reddit says to do. Nada. What a dumb update process.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 27, 2021

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Fallom posted:

I've rebooted the dumb thing like 6 times and the setting still isn't there in the Experimental tab

Edit: And flipped the language settings back and forth, and connected to a hotspot, and plugged in Link, and all the other junk reddit says to do. Nada. What a dumb update process.

One more thing you could try came up today:

Connect your headset to your computer and make sure ADB is enabled/connected then run:

code:
adb shell am force-stop com.oculus.vrshell
Check the experimental tab again and everything should be there now.

E: Well that's where I saw it, last page of this very thread:

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/mxlxew/how_to_force_air_link_and_120_hz/

(regarding gaining access to Air Link and 120hz) spoiler: it was Oculus bad code all along.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
wow these new oculus avatars really are poo poo, and i don't even care about avatars

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Twerkdad posted:

One more thing you could try came up today:

Connect your headset to your computer and make sure ADB is enabled/connected then run:

code:
adb shell am force-stop com.oculus.vrshell
Check the experimental tab again and everything should be there now.

E: Well that's where I saw it, last page of this very thread:

Still no :(

Made sure I saw the menu cycle in VR after the command executed, too

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Went to the dark side after sticking with my Vive since year 1. The Quest 2 is like dark magic. Air link works so well. No wires, the screen is gorgeous, the controller responsivity is basically as good as lighthouse tracking, I am so so impressed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

From the dev of Stride, this one looks very arcade, but well done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4P5yyZTM9I

Pistol Whip + Fruit Ninja

Yeah looks pretty solid

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The oculus code is bad?

Always has been

wow anton was right

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
What I don't get about the Quest 2 trigger delay in H3VR is that it's acceptable under VD and I can fire as fast as I normally would, but on Airlink it feels like I'm trying to shoot in a dream.

Like...what are they doing different with the triggers?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

wow these new oculus avatars really are poo poo, and i don't even care about avatars
They're crap like basically everything else that isn't a mii but they're still infinitely better than the ones they're replacing.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Bondematt posted:

What I don't get about the Quest 2 trigger delay in H3VR is that it's acceptable under VD and I can fire as fast as I normally would, but on Airlink it feels like I'm trying to shoot in a dream.

Like...what are they doing different with the triggers?

Really wondering if something in airlink isn’t off, I had trouble with quick trigger pulls in population one for reloading and it feels fine in VD.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

roffels posted:

It's all good, I got it figured out. I disabled "Developer Mode" using the Android app, not sure if it was at all related but everything worked just fine after that. I just gave Airlink a quick test and it seems to be working fine! And I didn't have any black/blank visuals temporarily like I sometimes do in Virtual Desktop!

It seems they are at least aware of the problem now
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/mzd1am/air_link_wont_work_for_me_bricks_settings_menu/

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The only issues I've had with Air Link are with the host app. Virtual Desktop ran on startup and sat in the background until needed. The Oculus app doesn't seem to have an option to minimise to the taskbar and the "toggles off if not used for 24 hours" thing is annoying but I'm assuming that'll be removed once it's no longer in beta.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

edit: never mind, I was wrong...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What a mess getting airlink working. I had to run the adb commands like 3 times before I realized I was on the beta channel on my PC and turned that off.

I still don’t see an option for 120hz, is that setting on the PC side or the Headset side?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What a mess getting airlink working. I had to run the adb commands like 3 times before I realized I was on the beta channel on my PC and turned that off.

I still don’t see an option for 120hz, is that setting on the PC side or the Headset side?

Headset, at the bottom of exp features. I had to reboot a few times to see it. Turned it on, and see no difference.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Headset, as much as that sucks.

Really hoping for an update or a hack that gets 120hz oculus link. Like to not be tied to VD for 120hz pcvr.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Imhotep posted:

Still wondering what the consensus on third party elite straps is, theirs is only 19 bucks, so I kinda wanna try it https://us.vrcover.com/products/elite-headstrap-foam-pad-for-oculus%E2%84%A2-quest-2

Just to be sure, you do know that product listing isn't for an elite strap, it's just some foam padding for an elite strap, right?

As far as third party ones go, I'm not an expert or anything since the one I bought is the only one I've tried, but this one that I mentioned a week or so ago:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09137FZNT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

seems pretty solid from the couple times I've used it. Keeps in place on my head a lot better than the default straps at least, also comes with padding for the back of your head (does the OEM elite strap have that? I have no idea). Unfortunately it appears to only have a $3 off coupon now as opposed to the $15 one I bought it with, but I can't imagine there's a huge amount of variance between the various knockoffs, it's not a super complex thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pretty good posted:

They're crap like basically everything else that isn't a mii but they're still infinitely better than the ones they're replacing.

I mean, they look a lot like the old ones (I assume we're talking about the floating torsos), they're just full body and you can tweak their appearance. They still look like garbage, they look like the Tower Unite default player avatars. You know, the ones so bad that everybody replaces them with Steam Workshop meme avatars. Too bad you can't do that in Oculus!