Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psycho Landlord posted:

Robots definitely get auto resettlement, I don't know where the hell anyone got that idea from.

Source me, having just gone full robot imperium.
Same for hiveminds, I've two gaia worlds with exactly 40 jobs feeding mushroom men into my ringworld like gangbusters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Also confirming my DA empire auto-resettles. It's funny how someone just says a wrong thing and then people get mad about it.

In other news, the Great Khan spawned in my game last night... and then almost immediately died of old age. His heir went back to the old ways and that was that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I've been playing around with bio ascension, and yeah this Empire level pop cap thing is tough as hell on Clone Vats. Pop assembly doesn't scale at all, so with 300 pops now it's 100+ months to assemble another, paying 30 food/mo all the while

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I've been told the robots you assemble (the ones that can only be workers) don't auto-resettle. Is that true?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Wasn't sure about the resettlement personally so I didn't comment on it.

PittTheElder posted:

I've been playing around with bio ascension, and yeah this Empire level pop cap thing is tough as hell on Clone Vats. Pop assembly doesn't scale at all, so with 300 pops now it's 100+ months to assemble another, paying 30 food/mo all the while

Definitely felt that way in my hivemind, tbh. I really feel like they're in awkward spot with that food cost.

You want them early, when you have a low empire wide penalty, but at that point you don't have that kind of food surplus. By the time you actually can afford that thing on all of your planets, the empire wide penalty will skew the cost effectiveness a lot. Like sure +3 pop assembly sounds great but as a hivemind especially I feel like you almost want to skip clone vats and just stick with spawning pools.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Relevant Tangent posted:

You should have 50k of troops by the time you're going after FE
I almost never build standing marine forces because you can easily go planet to planet with ~1k.

On that note:

YAAAAAYYYY the second fallen empire hasn't even woken up yet :neckbeard:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Do enslaved pops, pre-sapient robots etc resettle? I think I remember some phrasing like "Pops with free will" or "free pops" or something easily misinterpretable

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Synths can't auto resettle, everything else can I believe (if you let them). Whether that is a bug or a really weird design decision is anyone's guess.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ad090 posted:

Synths can't auto resettle, everything else can I believe (if you let them). Whether that is a bug or a really weird design decision is anyone's guess.

That sounds really weird given that synths are basically humans

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gort posted:

That sounds really weird given that synths are basically humans
Yeah, is this enslaved or free synths?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I've been playing mostly w/o ecumenopolis in 3.0 and its definitely easier to get on par w/ regular worlds now, since you have the advantage of needing far less rare resources, as well, since you will at most spend 2 motes/planet dedicated to alloy. I compromise by taking world shaper instead of arcology project, though, and i'm still fond of the +2 district ability, too

e. i've yet to play w/ synth ascension, maybe i'll try that next. Despite its weaknesses i'm still more fond of the less-fuss psionic ascension

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Hmm, is the pop growth malus from brain slugs now better or worse due to the pop growth changes?

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Dumb question time!

A member of my federation was attacked by someone else so we all piled in too defend them.
We have pretty much beaten the attacker, they have only a couple tiny fleets and their war exhaustion is at 100%
But the war refuses to end despite the fact evil robots are tearing up the galaxy.

I think the main defender is wanting to achieve their war goals, but the acceptance number is at like -600 because we are "Demanding unoccupied systems/planets"

How do I figure out which systems/planets we are demanding?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Did the guy attacking your federation bring in his own allies? Generally AI wont attack feds unless they have help, and it could be there's a whole other fresh AI on the other side of the map.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

yikes! posted:

I've been told the robots you assemble (the ones that can only be workers) don't auto-resettle. Is that true?

Stefan's latest video suggests it's tied to the Migration Control setting under species rights @15:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uLkZPXGs7E&t=900s

Yami Fenrir posted:

Wasn't sure about the resettlement personally so I didn't comment on it.

Definitely felt that way in my hivemind, tbh. I really feel like they're in awkward spot with that food cost.

You want them early, when you have a low empire wide penalty, but at that point you don't have that kind of food surplus. By the time you actually can afford that thing on all of your planets, the empire wide penalty will skew the cost effectiveness a lot. Like sure +3 pop assembly sounds great but as a hivemind especially I feel like you almost want to skip clone vats and just stick with spawning pools.

Yeah, assuming you still start with access to Spawning Pools as a Hive those feel like they'd be good since you have them when your empire pop level is low. But Clone Vats appear late and rapidly render themselves ineffective. That +30% pop growth trait seems like the way to go for sure now.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 26, 2021

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Did the guy attacking your federation bring in his own allies? Generally AI wont attack feds unless they have help, and it could be there's a whole other fresh AI on the other side of the map.

No, this one guy owns like one third of the galaxy, it's one of the big reasons I joined a federation.
I mostly want to beeline for the systems we want so I can end the war without occupying their entire empire or waiting for war exhaustion too hit 100% on both sides, preferably before the contingency murders all non robots.

On another note, I was impressed the AI actually did something clever.
They must have realized I'm our federations heavy hitter, because despite declaring war on another member their first act was too sucker punch me with the bulk of their fleets.
I managed to beat them back but not before they occupied like half the defender's territory.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Pulsarcat posted:

Dumb question time!

A member of my federation was attacked by someone else so we all piled in too defend them.
We have pretty much beaten the attacker, they have only a couple tiny fleets and their war exhaustion is at 100%
But the war refuses to end despite the fact evil robots are tearing up the galaxy.

I think the main defender is wanting to achieve their war goals, but the acceptance number is at like -600 because we are "Demanding unoccupied systems/planets"

How do I figure out which systems/planets we are demanding?

IIRC you can view claims on systems by going to the diplomacy page for the guy you're at war with and picking the 'make claims' option. FWIW capturing resource rich/habitable planet systems near the ally's border might end up getting the right ones, and if they're unoccupied you can roll through with a minimal fleet capping them. Eventually when both sides are at 100% exhaustion it will force a status quo peace, so as long as you can hold out to the end it'll be forced to end

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I just finished a synthetic ascension game and synths definitely do not auto-resettle. It's quite the pain in the arse.

e: To be clear I'm talking about my main species in their shiny new robot bodies.

It was a non-ironman game so I can go back to old saves and test things if anyone has any suggestions

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 26, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, assuming you still start with access to Spawning Pools as a Hive those feel like they'd be good since you have them when your empire pop level is low. But Clone Vats appear late and rapidly render themselves ineffective. That +30% pop growth trait seems like the way to go for sure now.

Clone vat effectiveness is static as long as you don't overfill the planet they're on. If your goal is pop growth, get that planet to the middle of the growth curve and then stop adding housing and jobs to it. Pops will grow, then migrate automatically to where they're needed, and growth will remain static.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Clone Vats aren't affected by the capacity curve at all, it's just a flat +3 growth per month with no modifiers. So they become far less useful as your Empire grows.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PittTheElder posted:

Clone Vats aren't affected by the capacity curve at all, it's just a flat +3 growth per month with no modifiers. So they become far less useful as your Empire grows.

they get any and all assembly mods now

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

What modifies it? I was playing with it last night and didn't seem to have any...

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
As far as i know only synthetics have pop assembly modifier traits. Bio gets maluses though, with lithoids/necros in clone vats.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ah poo poo looks like my spiffy bonuses that im getting on bio assembly are modded in lol

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I like that there are way less building slots. Little confused that there are both alloy districts and alloy foundries. I almost always play inward perfectionist or “nice” empires so I’m trying some militarist xenophobes now, do I need to have my fleet following my science ships in order to abduct new contacts? I had the option in an event but no way to get military ships nearby since it paused.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

Also confirming my DA empire auto-resettles. It's funny how someone just says a wrong thing and then people get mad about it.

In other news, the Great Khan spawned in my game last night... and then almost immediately died of old age. His heir went back to the old ways and that was that.

The Khans I've seen since the patch have died really quickly. Not complaining - they've done enough damage - but perhaps something has changed in the backend.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

ah poo poo looks like my spiffy bonuses that im getting on bio assembly are modded in lol

technically you *were* correct its just there's only maluses

Aethernet posted:

The Khans I've seen since the patch have died really quickly. Not complaining - they've done enough damage - but perhaps something has changed in the backend.

in my experience i feel like khans only do well when they spawn by small empires, if it was possible i would force that otherwise he tends to get bitchslapped down very fast by any big empire. i have the nearest chokepoint to marauders fortified by midgame and hes never succeeded in getting my stuff

Sloober fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 26, 2021

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Is there like a trick or something to surviving the early game as a terravore/exterminator/purifier on grand admiral? It has been ... difficult

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I like that there are way less building slots. Little confused that there are both alloy districts and alloy foundries. I almost always play inward perfectionist or “nice” empires so I’m trying some militarist xenophobes now, do I need to have my fleet following my science ships in order to abduct new contacts? I had the option in an event but no way to get military ships nearby since it paused.

The abduction thing is a bit iffy, you need to have an actual, physical science ship of the other empire in the system, none of your own required.

Alloy Foundries and their upgrades (As well as the tier 2 upgrades for mining/energy/food buildings) give additional jobs PER DISTRICT. This adds up very quickly, obviously, especially since you can have as many industry districts as planet size allows (theoretically).

Basically a ghetto Ecu.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fashionly snort posted:

Is there like a trick or something to surviving the early game as a terravore/exterminator/purifier on grand admiral? It has been ... difficult

use the internal market as hard as you can. you can't play tall but it's actually not feasible to develop planets widely either: you gotta take half-developed planets via war

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
terravore is actually materially different from exterminator and in turn different from purifier, if and only if they got diplomacy. purifier can diplomacy exact same species only, exterminator can diplo any machine or synthetic ascended empire. so exterminator might literally be able to diplo like a third of the galaxy in some cases. i had a DE run where I had a little hegemony machine federation going on

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sloober posted:

technically you *were* correct its just there's only maluses

in my experience i feel like khans only do well when they spawn by small empires, if it was possible i would force that otherwise he tends to get bitchslapped down very fast by any big empire. i have the nearest chokepoint to marauders fortified by midgame and hes never succeeded in getting my stuff

My experience after-patch was the opposite: My Khan started in the middle of two major empires and slowly took over most of their territory. The Khan was well on the way to assault a third huge empire when he died of fever. The successor empire he left still holds ca. 20-25% of the entire galaxy.

But then again, even before the patch my Khans tended to rampage around a lot. By sheer dumb luck I must have set a perfect start date for marauders to rise. (I remember earlier cases where the Khan indeed ran into serious problems, so after some back and forth my "ideal" start date for midgame is now 2275, this generally gives other empires a fighting chance without making one or the other side too strong.)

Edit:

A problem I found while playing is that for some reason, AI-empires don't really defend their planets very hard. I think there's something really wonky going on if I can make one set of 8-9 armies and just steamroll all the planets of a devouring swarm in one go because that dumb hivemind never build more than a small handful of defensive buildings. Sending my robot battlemechs and titans down to face a couple of drones armed with teeth was kind of anticlimactic

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Libluini posted:

My experience after-patch was the opposite: My Khan started in the middle of two major empires and slowly took over most of their territory. The Khan was well on the way to assault a third huge empire when he died of fever. The successor empire he left still holds ca. 20-25% of the entire galaxy.

But then again, even before the patch my Khans tended to rampage around a lot. By sheer dumb luck I must have set a perfect start date for marauders to rise. (I remember earlier cases where the Khan indeed ran into serious problems, so after some back and forth my "ideal" start date for midgame is now 2275, this generally gives other empires a fighting chance without making one or the other side too strong.)

Edit:

A problem I found while playing is that for some reason, AI-empires don't really defend their planets very hard. I think there's something really wonky going on if I can make one set of 8-9 armies and just steamroll all the planets of a devouring swarm in one go because that dumb hivemind never build more than a small handful of defensive buildings. Sending my robot battlemechs and titans down to face a couple of drones armed with teeth was kind of anticlimactic

Tell me about it. In most of my games I make 5-10 normal armies, then upgrade to 5-10 Gene Warriors or equivalent and that lasts me the entire game unless I feel like attacking a FE with their artificially inflated defense armies.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

With Hive Minds providing such a huge surplus of dumb maintenance drones I wonder if Natural Neural Network would have some viability. Turn the jobs off and get some free research from jobless drones.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

bob dobbs is dead posted:

use the internal market as hard as you can. you can't play tall but it's actually not feasible to develop planets widely either: you gotta take half-developed planets via war

The problem I routinely run into is a random militarist empire with double my fleet power - I can’t seem to maintain fleet parity without crashing my economy

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Edit:

Tbh I don't build defensive structures except on particular fortress worlds so I can hardly fault the AI for that.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Also the caravaneers and the ketlings if one is an assimilator.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Aethernet posted:

Tbh I don't build defensive structures except on particular fortress worlds so I can hardly fault the AI for that.

i make a point of building two fortresses & a planetary shield per planet in systems with 2+ planets just to make them really annoying to deal with. Especially with the tempest/terminal egress system just so i can control my easy access to huge swaths of the galaxy

the slightly lower value of building slots has helped out with this

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Are the Unbidden the weakest crisis by a wide margin? Maybe it's the fact I keep a standing fleet of torpedo bomber corvettes that punch way above their weight, but between that and the Enigmatic Observers having recently awakened I nailed their portal shut so fast that I didn't even take the time to read the diplomacy fluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

I'm addicted to naval cap, and sometimes there are systems with no stations but colonies I don't want an enemy to cross, so I tend to put down fortresses all over the place. Add in the occasional military academy, police building or planetary shields, and a lot of my planets are rather tough nuts to crack. This also gives me tons of defensive armies on many worlds. Win-win!

Also I think if the AI would be able to sensibly conduct ground war, your strategy would bite you in the rear end, you're just abusing how dumb the AI is! :v: