Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
What impact would this have on local broadcasts? I only have Youtube TV to get NBCSN. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

ESPN is Disney and ABC, I can’t imagine that the Stanley Cup wouldn’t simulcast on ABC too, but who knows.

They already confirmed ESPN's Cup Finals would be on ABC in their entirety, but the three Cup Finals Turner will get are another story.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Are the finals being on “broadcast tv” really still a concern in TYOOL 2022 and beyond?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Okay but what if instead you pay $300 for a streaming service that blacks out games whenever they are playing locally and caps out at a pixelated 30 fps despite that fact that aforementioned pirate apps use the same sources and stream full hd at 60fps

Or how about I pay extra for a VPN so I can fake where I'm actually living so I can still get the same lovely quality as above, but with an extra, possibly lovely link between us?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Are the finals being on “broadcast tv” really still a concern in TYOOL 2022 and beyond?

Lots of people cutting their cable and going streaming only paired with broadcast TV. Depending on what happens with the Caps local broadcast channel and team, I might do the same.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

To the league's corporate partners, yes. Millennials may have drifted away from broadcast television, but it's still the biggest media draw out there. Millions of people still tune into broadcast TV each week. Whatever the hell Blue Bloods and FBI are draw 12 million viewers a week.

That's a lot of eyeballs and a lot of lost revenue if the NHL is going to be off of broadcast TV outside of the finals. It's a nice cash injection up front, but will make advertising deals harder to negotiate. ESPN is good for the league, but not having a broadcast TV deal in addition to it is going to hurt them long term.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

What impact would this have on local broadcasts? I only have Youtube TV to get NBCSN. :ohdear:

It's possible I'm wrong but this shouldn't impact local broadcasts on their home networks like NBCSN/Bally(city), but the main NBCSN network would no longer pull games at large twice a week or whatever it is.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

caps out at a pixelated 30 fps despite that fact that aforementioned pirate apps use the same sources and stream full hd at 60fps

this drives me absolutely insane and nba's service does the same thing

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

OldSenileGuy posted:

A whole lot of cord cutters use antennas to get their local broadcasts.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

TNT's highest rated sporting event last year was the NBA Allstar game and that managed a paltry 4m viewers. The NHL is barely a draw by itself and they should've learned back in 05 (lol versus) that they really need broadcast TV to find casual viewers. No one is flipping to channel 63 to watch hockey.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cartoon Man posted:

ESPN is Disney and ABC, I can’t imagine that the Stanley Cup wouldn’t simulcast on ABC too, but who knows.

Zat posted:

They already confirmed ESPN's Cup Finals would be on ABC in their entirety, but the three Cup Finals Turner will get are another story.

Also the question of what happens in earlier rounds, when both ESPN/ABC and Turner also broadcast the NBA playoffs.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In general I distrust the television related decisions of the league that spurned ESPN 15 years ago in favour of the Outdoor Life Network which lead into the cup finals with fishing shows and arena football.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Soon they will be able to lead into hockey with the XCFL hosted by The Rock

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

TNT's highest rated sporting event last year was the NBA Allstar game and that managed a paltry 4m viewers. The NHL is barely a draw by itself and they should've learned back in 05 (lol versus) that they really need broadcast TV to find casual viewers. No one is flipping to channel 63 to watch hockey.

They were just on broadcast for 15 years and nobody watched.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Nocheez posted:

What is Turner's live-streaming service? I can't keep up with it all, but please for the love of god let me pay you for direct broadcasts. It's insane that pie-rat apps have better front-end software with things like ad-detection (silence) that starts/stops your Spotify in the background. I *want* to support the league, but I can't afford to drive 2.5 hours each way to watch my team play live. Let me live in the state where I want to watch my team play, and pay for a package that allows me to do so :(

Bleacher Report.

Edit: and I only know this because that's where Champions league soccer ended up for a hot minute and holy loving poo poo was it bad.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They were just on broadcast for 15 years and nobody watched.

Yes that's the issue. They were easy to watch and no did. Now they're harder to watch. How will that make any more people tune in?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ThinkTank posted:

In general I distrust the television related decisions of the league that spurned ESPN 15 years ago in favour of the Outdoor Life Network which lead into the cup finals with fishing shows and arena football.

same here

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No one will ever know for sure and they'll never admit it but I assume the lovely quality of every major sport's streaming services is mandated by the TV contracts.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Watching NFL on DAZN in Canada is an absolute treat. I want more like that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've been to a few games this year, but man watching the Panthers come back against the Hurricanes on Saturday was the first time it felt like it. Looking at the arena from my seat made it look empty, but if I closed my eyes it felt full. Absolutely hot for that final period and OT, it felt great.

(Both jabs, 2+ weeks since the 2nd here as was everyone with me and hopefully a lot of the crowd. Vaccines ain't hard to get here luckily.)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've been to a few games this year, but man watching the Panthers come back against the Hurricanes on Saturday was the first time it felt like it. Looking at the arena from my seat made it look empty, but if I closed my eyes it felt full. Absolutely hot for that final period and OT, it felt great.

(Both jabs, 2+ weeks since the 2nd here as was everyone with me and hopefully a lot of the crowd. Vaccines ain't hard to get here luckily.)

Get ready to get drawn and quartered for daring to do anything during the pandemic, even if you're doing everything asked by the arena, league, and society.

Also, gently caress the haters because hockey is awesome and watching games with my family has made for some of our favorite memories. My wife enjoys the games, but my 3-year old lives for the sport.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Watching NFL on DAZN in Canada is an absolute treat. I want more like that.

Not sure what this experience is like, but TNT had a feature called RaceBuddy with their NASCAR coverage for a couple years, which was a produce-your-own-broadcast-style experience with multiple camera angles and a dedicated announcer who would only chime in occasionally. That'd be cool for the NHL.

Chad Sexington posted:

I'm assuming you mean NBC Sports Washington (or whatever the RSN is called)? It's possible they continue broadcasting games under the NBC banner on the RSN without NBC/NBCSN actually covering games- look at how many years FOX Sports regionals carried their teams without Big FOX being involved.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Get ready to get drawn and quartered for daring to do anything during the pandemic, even if you're doing everything asked by the arena, league, and society.

Also, gently caress the haters because hockey is awesome and watching games with my family has made for some of our favorite memories. My wife enjoys the games, but my 3-year old lives for the sport.

You brought a baby, you jackass.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Nocheez posted:

This is a really loving stupid post.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah and I get it, I had to get feedback on how the arena was handling things and more importantly how the crowd were behaving. Surprisingly for SFL, I've not had an issue this last year in grocery stores or anything with people being dicks about wearing a mask and this translates to the arena too. It's a huge place and the games are usually less than 4,000 people across the 3 tiers with the entrance ways spread out further than normal. Not seen a single person being a dick about a mask, and the ushers will definitely remind you if you slip up. Nobody else sitting near me and people doing what they're being asked.

Most of the issues around here have been tourists who think because they're on vacation they're suddenly invincible. Luckily hockey isn't on their agenda and it's a long drive from the beach.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The sun is shining, the playoffs are approaching, posters are melting down over nothing and the birds are chirping merrily from the treetops. Oh the simple beauty of the warmer weather and inexplicable raging about haters. Spring has truly spring.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ThinkTank posted:

The sun is shining, the playoffs are approaching, posters are melting down over nothing and the birds are chirping merrily from the treetops. Oh the simple beauty of the warmer weather and inexplicable raging about haters. Spring has truly spring.

You smell that? It's meltdown may.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
i can't remember the last game that i didn't watch on an illegal stream

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Nocheez posted:

lol

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

ThinkTank posted:

Yes that's the issue. They were easy to watch and no did. Now they're harder to watch. How will that make any more people tune in?

TNT could start addressing the American viewers by name, that'd be a nice personal touch.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Noah Hanifin done for the season. Needs to have shoulder surgery.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Turner acquiring the broadcast rights is just step one in the surprise return of the Thrashers to Atlanta. The only question is which underperforming Canadian franchise gets reassigned this time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Weren't the Thrashers an expansion team that failed so hard they moved to fuckin' Winnipeg?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
It's comical how much more convenient illegal streams are than any "official" streams. They're practically begging people to use them. Also any sort of TV company app has me sketched out after that one used people's phones to listen for broadcasts and cross-reference the location with subscriber lists.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Turner acquiring the broadcast rights is just step one in the surprise return of the Thrashers to Atlanta. The only question is which underperforming Canadian franchise gets reassigned this time.

Oh God please take the Canucks.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Eric the Mauve posted:

Weren't the Thrashers an expansion team that failed so hard they moved to fuckin' Winnipeg?

Atlanta is the source of both the Flames and the Jets. This is actually the first step towards an NHL team finally landing in Hamilton.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/faiello_mari/status/1386492795779698688

Good job, DoPS. :downsbravo:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Atlanta is going to get another expansion franchise and then it, like the ones before it, will be moved to Canada.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mind_Taker posted:

Atlanta is going to get another expansion franchise and then it, like the ones before it, will be moved to Canada.

Call 'em the Atlanta Nordiques just to make things easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ryan McLeod makes his NHL debut tonight with the Oilers. He grew up an Oiler fan for the right and correct reasons in Mississauga and loves Ryan Smyth so hopefully he can bash in some pucks with his face, in honour of Smytty.