Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

namlosh posted:

Watch out for counterfeits... I got a new pair of Levi’s off of Amazon and they split the first day. Looked and felt real enough to me

i will absolutely not buy clothing from amazon ever again. been burned many times general rule with that site imo is not to buy anything you put on or in your body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Chinatown posted:

Yall gonna make me get a vacuum sealer with all this good vacuum sealer talk.

I really need to get one. I've got a sous vide for Co's sake but a hand vacuum pump :smith:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

you don't really need a vacuum sealer for sous vide, it just feels cooler.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

thathonkey posted:

i will absolutely not buy clothing from amazon ever again. been burned many times general rule with that site imo is not to buy anything you put on or in your body

I don't know, I use Amazon for certain food items I can't find locally/easily, and I've never had quality issues. Of course, I keep it to dry goods and every given supplier seems to last for about six months, which is a pain.

I'm going to church for gas and a dog tomorrow. Considering going inside to grab a bottle of mango juice, trying to decide if there's anything else I need. The thought of going through without using a cart makes me giddy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hell Yeah posted:

you don't really need a vacuum sealer for sous vide, it just feels cooler.

For the most part no but I was glad I had a sealer for a 7-hour vide because I didn’t have to worry about the bag popping open in the tub

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Costco shrimp tempura is excellent in an air fryer

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Is there any concern with the plastic transferring to the food like in a microwave?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the mango juice they have at costco is a good for the price for sure. it's a little too thick and sweet for my tastes though i would usually cut it with water. havent bought it in a while thanks for the reminder

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

thathonkey posted:

Agreed. Ironically though I bought a pair of Levi's once that were weirdly thick and stiff. The color was awful too. They were full on dad jeans.

Also weirdly enough I bought a pair of jeans this weekend at Costco, English Laundry brand. Looked good enough. I don't care that much and the price was right at like $14. I didn't even mention it as I was like three posts before denim chat.

I'm more excited for the 32 degrees undershirts.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
A good pair of jeans will last you years. Get the best quality denim you can afford IMO.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i wear the poo poo out of kirkland boxer briefs, but i wouldn't get jeans there. are their shoes any good?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Hell Yeah posted:

i wear the poo poo out of kirkland boxer briefs, but i wouldn't get jeans there. are their shoes any good?
doubtful.
check out the ali express thread for some great shoes at an affordable price

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
My spouse just had gastric bypass and is currently shedding weight at a ridiculous pace and the $15 jeans are ideal for their needs right now: inexpensive and have some stretch for better fit because measurements are rapidly changing. These are some real dad jeans and a nicer pair of better fitting jeans would 1000% make their rear end look better, but better looking and fitting denim is already waiting in the closet.

There have been a lot of Costco .97 purchases in the apparel department lately because it feels silly to spend $100 on a couple of dress shirts and a pair of pants that might only fit for a month or less when Costco is clearing out stuff they could wear to work as a computer janitor (polos, button downs, slacks) for $5 and $10 a piece. It ain't the cutest but you don't really care when you've lost 30 pounds in a month.

No $1.50 hot dog and soda combo for a long, long time for spouse, though :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fashionably Great posted:

My spouse just had gastric bypass and is currently shedding weight at a ridiculous pace and the $15 jeans are ideal for their needs right now: inexpensive and have some stretch for better fit because measurements are rapidly changing. These are some real dad jeans and a nicer pair of better fitting jeans would 1000% make their rear end look better, but better looking and fitting denim is already waiting in the closet.

There have been a lot of Costco .97 purchases in the apparel department lately because it feels silly to spend $100 on a couple of dress shirts and a pair of pants that might only fit for a month or less when Costco is clearing out stuff they could wear to work as a computer janitor (polos, button downs, slacks) for $5 and $10 a piece. It ain't the cutest but you don't really care when you've lost 30 pounds in a month.

No $1.50 hot dog and soda combo for a long, long time for spouse, though :(

if spouse needs anything particularly nice or dressy during this time of great shedding, don’t forget to check out thrift stores in your area

I have a colleague who went through a similar experience and needed a suit to attend another colleague’s wedding, he found a really spiffy one at a local charity shop for a song

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
My wife and I are going to the Co again today.

It’s the key to a happy marriage.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

They don't sell these at my Costco sadly

Apparently something about needing them.for the food court and being the most remote Costco location on the planet....

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Hell Yeah posted:

I haven't tried Kirkland jeans but I do know the Lucky jeans I bought at the Co were garbage tier and lasted maybe a year.

32 degrees boxer briefs are a godsend in the godforsaken weather that is south Texas in the summer April through October

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Thinkin bout getting into battery powered yard tools, how are the Greenworks ones that costco sells online? Probably will start out with a chainsaw because I don’t have one already but as I expand I would eventually want to replace my gas mower (which frankly will not die out of spite I think)

On the other hand I could probably rent a chainsaw from home depot for the day and just saw-a-palooza all the stuff I wanted chopped in a day or less.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I bought a battery powered mower and I hated it so much that I returned it. I also borrowed a battery powered chainsaw and hated it. They drained quickly and kept stalling.

But I also say give it a shot. I keep hearing that they’ve gotten better, and they’d be a million times easier to deal with than gas powered tools. If it’s bad, report back to the thread.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

poisonpill posted:

I bought a battery powered mower and I hated it so much that I returned it. I also borrowed a battery powered chainsaw and hated it. They drained quickly and kept stalling.

But I also say give it a shot. I keep hearing that they’ve gotten better, and they’d be a million times easier to deal with than gas powered tools. If it’s bad, report back to the thread.

Yeah I was the same quite a few years ago and did get a battery string trimmer by Echo which is quite good and the battery easily lasts thru a trimming sesh in my decent sized yard. Only problem is echo has pretty limited options for other tools that take the same battery (mower is about it) so I probably would get a different system.

I really hate how the batteries on my handheld tools die and then they are not made anymore so you gotta toss the whole thing though, that really sucks. Li ion seems a lot less prone to dying than the nimh ones at least.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Battery powered mowers suck poo poo straight out of my rear end in a top hat, the corded plug-in electric ones OWNNNNNN though

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Ego brand battery-powered lawn tools are loving ownage. I own a lawn mower, snowblower, string trimmer, and leaf blower. All of them work flawlessly with fantastic power.

I have the dual-battery lawn mower and it easily clears my 3/4acre lawn without needing to stop.

I’d be careful about other brands. Not that they’re bad... just do a lot of research beforehand.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Whatever happened to the corded mowers that were like hovercrafts, a neighbour had one when I was growing up and it was cool as poo poo. Tragically unsafe I’m guessing.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I have a battery powered mower that I like a lot, not from Costco though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

Battery powered mowers suck poo poo straight out of my rear end in a top hat, the corded plug-in electric ones OWNNNNNN though

When's the last time you used one? My brother and another friend both separately bought Ego cordless mowers last year and both love them. They have large yards and no problems finishing on one charge. My brother got an Ego battery powered snow blower this winter too, and it also works great.

I've still got a 15 year old Honda plugging along, but if it ever dies I plan to buy a battery mower as well.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My lawn was weedy and I found that if I set it too low it drained the battery really fast, but one notch higher and it sailed through no problem. So that may be a factor too.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a Ryobi string trimmer that can do battery or a cord. The cord has more power, but the battery works fine. I can do everything I need with one battery, or if I forgot to charge it just swap it out for a new one.

Having used gas powered string trimmers for a job, the electric is nice because it vibrates way less

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

I have a battery powered mower that I like a lot, not from Costco though.

Same. I have a cheap one of these that Amazon had on lightning deal one day.

https://www.greenworkstools.com/shop-by-tool/mowers

Been working great for the past 5 years.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

priznat posted:

Thinkin bout getting into battery powered yard tools, how are the Greenworks ones that costco sells online? Probably will start out with a chainsaw because I don’t have one already but as I expand I would eventually want to replace my gas mower (which frankly will not die out of spite I think)

On the other hand I could probably rent a chainsaw from home depot for the day and just saw-a-palooza all the stuff I wanted chopped in a day or less.

I have a Greenworks 60V and it's worked well. If you let it go too far between mowing it tends to eat battery, but it starts at the press of a button, I don't have to get gas, etc. It's also pretty quiet and lighter than the gas powered one my wife used to have.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I love my cordless weed whacker, but I don’t like my leaf blower. It’s a 40v Ryobi and it works great if I’m cleaning up the driveway/sidewalk but it sucks for trying to blow leaves through the grass during Fall. The battery wears down extremely quick. I’d still recommend either a gas or corded leaf blower if you want to move large amounts of leaves through the grass.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have a Greenworks Pro 80V mower and leaf blower. They own pretty hard, though the battery does tend to get sucked dry pretty quickly when the grass is high and/or wet and it has to work harder to cut it. The trick is to have two batteries, using one while the other charges. They charge relatively quickly (dead to full in ~30 minutes) so unless you've got an enormous yard with tall, wet grass (in which case you should have a riding mower anyway), they're great. Much quieter, don't have to mess with gas and oil, a real pleasure to use.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

priznat posted:

I nearly bought that, after watching a ton of YouTube reviews I went with a Ego that was the same price but the ergonomics are a little nicer. The Greenworks generally were in the top few for mowers though.

I get through my large yard easily on a charge and the string trimmer is multiple sessions before a charge. And I don't smell like gas and I don't need ear protection.

My only problem so far is I don't have a blower yet.

Also I wouldn't put a chainsaw high on my need list but that's down to what your landscape looks like I suppose.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I have some english laurel bushes that grow insanely fast and have a good 3” thick branches in what seems like no time at all after I prune them brutally and without mercy with a reciprocating saw with a pruning blade. I’m leaning more towards just renting a chainsaw though now.

I’ve heard Ego stuff is good and it is at Home depot here I think so pretty easy to find.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

priznat posted:

Yeah I have some english laurel bushes that grow insanely fast and have a good 3” thick branches in what seems like no time at all after I prune them brutally and without mercy with a reciprocating saw with a pruning blade. I’m leaning more towards just renting a chainsaw though now.

I’ve heard Ego stuff is good and it is at Home depot here I think so pretty easy to find.

Lowes and Ace actually.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Lowes and Ace actually.

Oh weird I thought I had seen them there and assumed it was another store brand like ryobi, but I was wrong! We have a Lowes not too far but I have never been.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

priznat posted:

Oh weird I thought I had seen them there and assumed it was another store brand like ryobi, but I was wrong! We have a Lowes not too far but I have never been.

Up until recently Ego was at Home Depot. Home Depot must have lost the contract or went with someone else because Lowe’s was triumphantly announcing they now carry Ego when I stopped by there on the way to Costco.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

When's the last time you used one? My brother and another friend both separately bought Ego cordless mowers last year and both love them. They have large yards and no problems finishing on one charge. My brother got an Ego battery powered snow blower this winter too, and it also works great.

I've still got a 15 year old Honda plugging along, but if it ever dies I plan to buy a battery mower as well.

I got a 22" 40v battery mower last year after my beloved corded got got during the 10 minutes I went inside to take a dump.

Also ok, Honda GX engines I have nothing but love for. ~10-12 years ago I worked at a small plant that built farm pumps on those and bench tested close to 3,000 units in my time there, every single one started on the first pull. Those are God's own small powerplant.

Meanwhile during the same time we got a shipment of 100+ 3.5 B&S engines that all had the spark wire pinch grounded under the muffler.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 27, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MarxCarl posted:

Up until recently Ego was at Home Depot. Home Depot must have lost the contract or went with someone else because Lowe’s was triumphantly announcing they now carry Ego when I stopped by there on the way to Costco.

They had some good deals too, that's how I ended up with the trimmer since it was on sale and nicer than I thought I could get. I would have gotten a blower if they stocked it tool only in store. The rapid charger gets a battery back to full charge in 20 minutes. That works pretty well with my weekend routine.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

thathonkey posted:

the mango juice they have at costco is a good for the price for sure. it's a little too thick and sweet for my tastes though i would usually cut it with water. havent bought it in a while thanks for the reminder

It's so good, we go through a lot of it in the spring and summer. It's also a perfect thing to mix with the Kirkland pre-made Sangria. Put some of the frozen berry blend in a pitcher to use as your ice cubes, pour 1 1/2 bottles of the sangria in, and then add some of the mango juice on top. Mix and serve.

It also goes down really nice if you mix it with Malibu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My mower has a honda engine. It's older than me, is horribly maintained, and every part of it is falling apart but the motor still purrs like a kitten. We put a new blade on it last year and it eats through my overgrown yard as well as can be expected.

It takes 2-3 pulls to get it started but, what do you expect it's like 30 years old at this point.