Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And of course Dabi was all dramatic with "Enji Todoroki!" but all Pros' identities are public knowledge, right?

You'd think this would be a bad idea. Why doesn't All for One or another uber powerful villain just print out records and start making house calls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

And of course Dabi was all dramatic with "Enji Todoroki!" but all Pros' identities are public knowledge, right?

You'd think this would be a bad idea. Why doesn't All for One or another uber powerful villain just print out records and start making house calls?

Because that thrusts them into the spotlight and gets them hunted down with extreme prejudice. I imagine that used to be more of a thing but villain society got basically trained by All Might that doing so was a really bad idea.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Almost all of the questions about "why didn't villains do *insert smart and ruthless tactics*" in the past have the same answer: Because it would attract the attention of All Might and lead to an inevitable one way ticket to lying unconscious in the crater from his *insert USA state* punch. It's pretty clearly implied that after the defeat of AfO, every single villain with even the tiniest bit of brain disappeared in the deepest hole they could find and tried to not make a peep because there was nothing and no one that could even obstruct All Might, much less beat him.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 17, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah part of the big fear of all might retiring and the heroes having to try to quickly mobilize to maintain the status quo he set is that now that he's gone, the really big villains like overload are going to be starting to come out of the woodwork to do stuff like that

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hunt11 posted:

Because that thrusts them into the spotlight and gets them hunted down with extreme prejudice.
I mean, that was the whole Stain arc. Dude ended up getting the Justice Society/Avengers/Teen Titans on his rear end.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also I imagine many villains would be unwilling to risk going to Tartarus as instead of a revolving door they get plenty of straightjackets and machineguns.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Really the roster of villains who could do it and not immediately get crushed in retaliation is actually fairly small and that's just not the specific game they're interested in playing unless there's an extra element to it like recruiting said family members as villains (a la Shigaraki and Dabi)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Pre-season 3 All for One at least strongly suspected that Deku possessed One for All and could very easily have found out his address and sent Kurogiri to kidnap him in his sleep with no way to track him.

The real reason this doesn't happen is because it's a story and that would gently caress up the plot progression and having to justify why this doesn't happen would detract from the story more than it helps. Likewise a world where villains are attacking the families of heroes isn't one Horikoshi wanted to write about.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 17, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kidnapping Bakugo is kind of what leads to AfO getting creamed

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That, and Dabi not wearing a disguise despite having one of the most distinctive faces around, leading the heroes straight to the villain HQ.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

NikkolasKing posted:

Pro's identities are not a matter of public record. If you're really high up in the ranks then yeah, you're basically a celebrity and people usually know who you are, but also at that point someone dropping by your house is going to be in for a really rude surprise because you've probably got the money for high security and also, y'know, you're a high ranked pro so you're not exactly a slouch in combat. But hero turbo-nerd Deku didn't know who Aizawa was until he used his quirk. Most people also don't know All Might's real name is Yagi Toshinori.

Anybody who attended UA is at a major disadvantage because if they participated in the Sports Festival then yeah, their real name was aired at some point, but that'd still require some research to go back and watch old Sports Festivals to attach a name to a known hero. The Hero Commission would have to have a database since they're the ones who issue licenses but it's presumably locked down with the tightest security imaginable.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

Pro's identities are not a matter of public record. If you're really high up in the ranks then yeah, you're basically a celebrity and people usually know who you are, but also at that point someone dropping by your house is going to be in for a really rude surprise because you've probably got the money for high security and also, y'know, you're a high ranked pro so you're not exactly a slouch in combat. But hero turbo-nerd Deku didn't know who Aizawa was until he used his quirk. Most people also don't know All Might's real name is Yagi Toshinori.

Anybody who attended UA is at a major disadvantage because if they participated in the Sports Festival then yeah, their real name was aired at some point, but that'd still require some research to go back and watch old Sports Festivals to attach a name to a known hero. The Hero Commission would have to have a database since they're the ones who issue licenses but it's presumably locked down with the tightest security imaginable.

I thought about the Sports Festival earlier. Do we know if Toshinori competed in it? Because how did nobody connect the 7 foot tall muscle kid with All Might?

Fair point about not every Pro being known or on any sort of public record but I think Toshinori as All Might is the only actual secret identity.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I'm actually not sure we've ever gotten any information at all about All Might's time in UA beyond the fact that he went. He had to have had One for All by the time he attended because we know he was Quirkless himself before he was given it and Midoriya mentioned really early in the series that UA had only recently opened up their admissions to allow Quirkless students. He probably attended around the same time Endeavor did? Their rivalry probably started there? This is all total speculation because we just don't know. For all we know, All Might totally bombed in the Sports Festival because his power was just brute strength and other students had more versatile quirks. Who knows.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I'm pretty sure All Might was already #1 before Endeavor graduated UA. He's been around for a long time.

We know All Might spent time in America after his master died in order to hide for All For One, I wonder just how much of his schooling was spent overseas.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I wouldn't assume UA's Sports Festival was the same kind of thing in All Might's school days. The modern version of it very much seems like a product of the peace of the All Might era.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I forgot All Might was #1 for like 40 years. Yeah he's definitely older than Endeavor and his schooling was probably very different. Probably not a surprise nobody knows who the hell he is then.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
is it just me or does tsuyu sound completely different

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

raocow posted:

Assuming you’re talking about the Japanese version it’s still Aoi Yuuki but yeah, she did sound a little less frog-like this time around in my opinion

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Aoi Yuuki is in like half the shows this season so I'm surprised tsu doesn't sound more croaky

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Maybe the frog voice is just Tsuyu's chuuni affectation and she lets it slip sometimes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cephas posted:

Maybe the frog voice is just Tsuyu's chuuni affectation and she lets it slip sometimes

It’s never happened before as far as I recall though. Maybe Aoi was just having an off day or something (though I can imagine that kind of voice can be hard to maintain for long, her English VA does something similar as I recall)

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

raocow posted:

I noticed this too and it was bugging me all episode lol.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Me and probably a ton of other fans used the fact Endeavor specifically couldn't go in the bar as proof of his and Dabi's relationship. They were both there but the narrative blatantly kept them from seeing each other.

But then Dabi goes and shows himself to Endeavor in this latest season.... Only I'm told in the manga they make it clear Endeavor couldn't see him properly due to his wounds.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zetsubou-san posted:

Aoi Yuuki is in like half the shows this season so I'm surprised tsu doesn't sound more croaky

Don't forget she also sang both EDs for one of the shows she voices the MC in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eciJ-ercyPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9hgD30gb78

Gonna be honest I just wanted an excuse to post my favorite EDs of this and last season.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

For some reason I never really thought about it but Stain passing out on his feet is pretty much identical in spirit if not context to a couple other notable incidents from big time shounen: Rock Lee in Naruto and Whitebeard in One Piece. Obviously both are far more noble than Stain but that's what makes Stain stand out. Good guys like Lee and WB being "bowed but not broken" is to be expected.

God I love Robert MocCollum. They couldn't have picked a better VA. Pretty sure the first time I ever heard him was Sensui in Yu Yu Hakusho and of course Sensui was a charismatic orator for 95% of his character before thaa loving ending. But my point is, you needed the right voice for Stain and they got it.

But man, somebody said they felt the stuff happening in Anime S4 and 5 are among the weakest of MHA. I dunno about that but Sports Festival > Stain > Summer Training > Kamino is just a nonstop series of greatness. My favorite episodes in the whole series are in this string of arcs - "Shoto Todoroki: Origin", "Hero Killer: Stain vs U.A. Students", "My Hero" and of course the triple crown of all MHA, "All for One" > "Symbol of Peace" and "One for All".

(Sorry, doing a rewatch because MHA is good nd also short enough that I can rewatch the whole thing pretty drat quick compared to most anime I like)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

^ I wasn't sure if there was anything to respond to in your posts, but I do want to say I appreciate the thoughts during rewatches.

The new episode is out and is still pretty good. They seem to be making some improvements over the manga's version.

In particular I like that they fleshed out the post-fight 'review' since in the manga only Kirishima actually made sense and got good feedback. For instance Froppy just complained about losing 2 members and there wasn't anything about their teamwork being a mess or responding to mistakes quicker so it kind of made it look like she was arrogantly hoping to get a perfect 4-0 sweep.

The other teams discussions also got some lines added to increase content and the actual fight itself is getting more movement and actual combat added. The Joint Training arc's chapters were infamously short so it's looking like they're trying to add to it where they can which is promising.

The big highlight of course is Tokoyami and Hawks forming a Whole Bird as well as the insane troll logic of Dark Shadow 'floating' when it comes out of Tokoyami and somehow being able to pick him up to fly based on that. I also love how amazingly goofy it looks considering Tokoyami's chuuni nature.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I wasn't actively reading the manga at the time this arc was coming out, but this was one of the ones where Horikoshi was sick for most of it, right? So chapters got a bit truncated. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of stuff he wanted to include but decided to leave out in order to get through the arc faster and now they're adding it back in.

And yeah, I love Tokoyami and Dark Shadow flying. What a comically stupid way of doing that, it's so cute.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Midoriya hyping up his classmate is adorable.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Ah, yes. That wonderful student Vantablackdark, and his great quirk Dark.

I don't really fault them for changing that, since the inventor of Vantablack is supposedly a huge poo poo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

oh jay posted:

Ah, yes. That wonderful student Vantablackdark, and his great quirk Dark.

I don't really fault them for changing that, since the inventor of Vantablack is supposedly a huge poo poo.
The creator of Vantablack is in fact, a huge loving rear end in a top hat and is utterly despised by the art community. There's a couple other "true black" paints that have been developed in the meanwhile that're superior and with an open formulation I think.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

and since learning how the vantablack-style pigment is made the guys working on the new stuff have also developed other colors as well. The Pinkest Pink is pretty wild to see IRL

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Babe Magnet posted:

and since learning how the vantablack-style pigment is made the guys working on the new stuff have also developed other colors as well. The Pinkest Pink is pretty wild to see IRL
Vantablack is legit hazardous due to the heat retention and whatnot. It's also kind of toxic to make, iirc?

There's some.kind of super glitter made of glass shards that's apparently Lisa Frank-esque in its brilliance.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah vantablack if I recall has to be handled pretty carefully, it's very fragile and easy to kick some of the pigment up/chip some of the paint off and inhale it, which you DO NOT want to do. You can't really seal it because even the slightest coat of another material ruins the light scattering effect, so anything painted with it needs to be very carefully maintained. In addition to all that, these pigments are actually pretty drat expensive but getting less so as processes to make them get more efficient.

The Pinkest Pink is cool because it's got the same effect as Vantablack (I forget what the new, non-copyrighted version is called) but because it's an actual color and not just black like darkness, your brain really hates coming to terms with it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Also didnt the creator of pinkest pink make it so you have to specifically say you aren't the guy who made vanta black to be able to buy it?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

serious gaylord posted:

Also didnt the creator of pinkest pink make it so you have to specifically say you aren't the guy who made vanta black to be able to buy it?

He still got some of it apparently.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

serious gaylord posted:

I forget the exact name but every paint made by that particular person has full on stipulations that it cannot be owned by the creator of Vantablank, nor can it be purchased on his behalf. They also make one of the few different Vantablack competitors- all of which I think are technically better/more black now.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Anish Kapoor did not actually create Vantablack, it was created in a lab and the scientists who created it are the ones who decided to patent it and auction/sell off the exclusive rights to use it, Kapoor just purchased those rights. The guy who made The Pinkest Pink and Black 2.0 (Stuart Semple) decided to cash in and spin the narrative that it was Kapoor who was restricting access in order to market his pigments, and he recently started stumping for NFT's as well so lol

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Except Anish Kapoor is an rear end and there is a reason the story gained so much traction. I would call their feud legendary except it’s just him getting dunked on all the time for being a whole rear end.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kapoor is a huge dickhead and his art basically exists as an excuse for municipalities to set taxpayer money on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's Black 3.0 now!!!