Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Question for the InTune users - does it still require you to build plists / xml manually for more advanced restrictions? Because I just about pissed myself laughing when I learned that was a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Okay fine, in my naive perception of the world it should be their business because we're all struggling to get through this lovely pandemic and we should all be helping and supporting each other to minimize spreading infections (any infections, because the science isn't available to quickly distinguish between a traditional flu and covid) to other people instead of tossing out the MAH RIGHTS defense whenever someone is asked to be a good neighbor.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ookiimarukochan posted:

Question for the InTune users - does it still require you to build plists / xml manually for more advanced restrictions? Because I just about pissed myself laughing when I learned that was a thing

"Advanced restrictions?" Not sure what you mean.

But yes, there's a lot of common stuff that's way harder than it should be in Intune.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
If it’s the OMA-URI stuff it’s just things they haven’t integrated into the GUI and are all easily accessible and deployable. There are many... quirks with AP/InTune and that never registered for me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

for what it's worth, both my kid and the school nurse's kid were among a group that had to stay home last week due to covid exposure and we were both clear to come to work since we're fully inoculated. we have also managed full in-person classroom attendance all school year with no outbreaks and a total case rate of less than 10% among all staff and students, so it's possible to conduct normal business without putting a bunch of people in the hospital if you're smart and vigilant about it. i agree that working parents should be able to stay home if their kid is sick, but it's a little much to act like the boss is condemning people to death by asking the vaccinated parent of a sick kid to come into the office. the vaccines are good and work well, and the rate of covid infection post-vaccination, as far as anyone knows, is extremely low. you can't expect vaccinated people to keep behaving as though they're just as much of a potential danger as unvaccinated people, because they're not. bob should still wear the mask though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Intune is much better now, there are ways to ingest ADMX templates, here's the Chrome one

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/9102677?hl=en

Also it improves on pretty much a weekly basis.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And one day we'll be able to set registry keys.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kid probably had covid when the wife and I had it in October

Anyway he’s just got another ear infection...took his little butt in Monday morning

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Internet Explorer posted:

And one day we'll be able to set registry keys.

So what’s the solution for things that would be done with a registry key gpo?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
probably forcing annoying program settings "unofficially" for ones that dont support real gpo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can write a PowerShell script that will set the keys once and deploy it via the PowerShell scripts option in MEM. You can package a PowerShell script up as an app and push it out that way, with detection rules for all the registry keys so it runs and re-sets the keys if they get changed, if you wanted to "enforce" it. You can do it as a Scheduled Task. They are all not great solutions compared to GPOs, but they can be done.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The 16 iPads came in...

Expected completion date is 4/30 ready to deploy 1st of May

Does my boss look at the loving calendar? I am in Vegas next week.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

My loving network admin is who is pissing me off.

I shoot him a teams message, hey man new wireless devices can’t pull IP addresses can you take a look and see what’s up.

His first response to anyone questioning the network is always, did you check the PC itself.

I told him man it’s a buncha devices including my own laptop.

Still he insists it’s a PC issue.

So I did his job for him and show him this.

Go fix your poo poo dude.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mattfl posted:

My loving network admin is who is pissing me off.

I shoot him a teams message, hey man new wireless devices can’t pull IP addresses can you take a look and see what’s up.

His first response to anyone questioning the network is always, did you check the PC itself.

I told him man it’s a buncha devices including my own laptop.

Still he insists it’s a PC issue.

So I did his job for him and show him this.

Go fix your poo poo dude.

I just kicked an Apple Watch, and 3 personal iPhones off our production network

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I just kicked an Apple Watch, and 3 personal iPhones off our production network

How in the hell are those allowed to join your production network in the first place? Nothing personal is even allowed on our production network.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lol at running a dhcp server without mac address registration

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

xzzy posted:

lol at running a dhcp server without mac address registration

:raise:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mattfl posted:

How in the hell are those allowed to join your production network in the first place? Nothing personal is even allowed on our production network.

Upon further inspection, you can use your AD username/password. It's not checking to see if there's an object in AD for it. I didn't set this poo poo up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lol at running a DHCP server without some sort of monitoring

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

There's been multiple times where I've questioned the lack of logging on things like that. It's above my pay grade though so whatever.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pissing me off: our support department implying ownership of a problem that is actually on the customer’s end.

Oh you’re over quota? Sure, let me take care of that for you

*smashes the “emergency emergency allow everything even if over quota” button*

I’ve fixed it on our end, have a nice day.

*repeat variations of this behavior weekly for months*

Then the customer decides not to renew “because our quota process is broken and they’re sick of calling in every week to have us override it” and I have to investigate and guess what: they’re loving legitimately over quota. Like they should be spending thousands more per year for this volume of data.

But support claimed ownership over and over by saying it’s on our end and now the customer thinks our poo poo just doesn’t work.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ConfusedUs posted:

Pissing me off: our support department implying ownership of a problem that is actually on the customer’s end.

To be fair, depending on how they're measured performance-wise, that may just be a "looking out for me" move. I know I've had enough situations where I've spelled out "hey look, you've over what your subscription allows, let me get you in contact with your sales rep" to people and they've flown off the handle, sent in nastygrams to management (and left out the bit how they're over quota, just "KYROSIRIS WON'T HELP ME SET UP A THING, gently caress HIM YOUR SUPPORT SUCKS"), etc. etc.

Like yeah it's stupid and bad in the long run, but that may be alluding to something being rotten in the support department and the support techs not feeling like they can push back.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Bob Morales posted:

Kid probably had covid when the wife and I had it in October

Anyway he’s just got another ear infection...took his little butt in Monday morning

I'm no doctor, but you should probably take his little ears in too.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

CPColin posted:

I'm no doctor

:magemage:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh poo poo oh gently caress

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DBA: Hey I'm getting an error about a query timeout expiring

So make the timeout...longer? Or don't query for 80 trillion rows of data? Are you a DBA or Crystal Reports monkey?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bob Morales posted:

DBA: Hey I'm getting an error about a query timeout expiring

So make the timeout...longer? Or don't query for 80 trillion rows of data? Are you a DBA or Crystal Reports monkey?

Nevermind I deleted some records and it's faster now

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I want to throw every Windows Server 2016 machine into the sun. gently caress this terrible OS.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Internet Explorer posted:

I want to throw every Windows Server 2016 machine into the sun. gently caress this terrible OS.

I’m having the opposite experience, I want to destroy everything before 2016, esp 2008r2 and its ever expanding winsxs that will eventually clog the os disk

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

SlowBloke posted:

I’m having the opposite experience, I want to destroy everything before 2016, esp 2008r2 and its ever expanding winsxs that will eventually clog the os disk

Call we all agree that Windows Server 2016 R2 2019 is God’s own Windows Server OS and move on from there?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

I'm more than happy to expand an OS disk. I've just never had problems with updates like I do with way too many of our 2016 machines.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh you’re over quota? Sure, let me take care of that for you

*smashes the “emergency emergency allow everything even if over quota” button*

I’ve fixed it on our end, have a nice day.

Kyrosiris posted:

Like yeah it's stupid and bad in the long run, but that may be alluding to something being rotten in the support department and the support techs not feeling like they can push back.

This screams "I'm overworked and my supervisor wants me to do whatever it takes to just get them off the phone". Another form of this I see way too often is the Hot Potato. "Yes, I see the problem here. I'm going to transfer your ticket over to the XYZ team, they can help you." (They can't.)

Execs always want the support department to "be the heroes", but lovely management turns that into "make other teams the villain".

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Devor posted:

Nevermind I deleted some records and it's faster now

This reminds me of something than happened back in 2006 or so. One of our customers (government agency) ran out of disk space where documents imported into the document management system are initially stored. This was preventing new documents from entering the system (though they were just being dropped off on a server to be pulled in). Shortly after documents are imported and stored on that first copy, they get replicated to additional storage locations.

Now, the proper solution here would be to first turn off the job that's attempting to import the documents so it stops bombing. Then you could use the application's platter management tools to validate older volumes to ensure they were properly replicated to the additional storage location(s) and then delete them from the initial copy, making space until you are able to allocate more drive space.

Did the customer do that or reach out to us for help? Nope! Instead, the dude just started purging the most recent, not yet replicated batches of documents to free up space. In other words, he permanently deleted thousands of documents that people had either mailed in or drove out to the agency to drop off along with any database records related to them.

Of course, they wanted us to provide them a nice report on all of the data that they purged out of the database so they could contact their customers to let them know what documents they need to turn in for the second time. This is not at all covered by support and they didn't want to pay for anything, so instead we pointed them to a folder containing the metadata files generated by the scanning software that should coincide with the period of missing documents.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Ugh. So I deployed a new dev system for a customer to test replatforming to AWS. Our PS guy configures the dev system pointing at their API. The customer calls me over the weekend, the new dev system is basically DDoSing their API. The block our IP and tell us to fix our config and put some rate limiting on it.

I stop the dev services, and tell the PS team "hey you guys need to sort this out, I'm leaving this traffic blocked until it's fixed".

The PS guy that configured this is now messaging me asking I can fix it.

This guy is basically illiterate.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Waiting for "The script is dependent on doing so"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Now he wants me to look at the application logs and figure out what it's wrong. I told him no.

He also wants me to check with the customer and figure out the problem. No, just do your job.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
He copied the script from the internet without taking the time to understand exactly how it works before pushing it to prod.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

klosterdev posted:

He copied the script from the internet without taking the time to understand exactly how it works before pushing it to prod.

If it's good enough for 7 Stackoverflow upvotes, it's good enough for prod.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's me. I'm the one who did dumb poo poo that pisses me off today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
this conversation just happened, almost word for word.

- customer emails, ok if you've fixed your system and stop ddosing us, we'll unblock, go ahead and start up your system

- PS guy: jmjf, can you start the dev services

- Me: no, you can do it yourself, don't you know how to do it?

- PS: I do know, but I wanted to check how you do it