Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Don’t forget to post it when it’s all done and polished! I love watching Goon productions even if they are not speaking English or with a heavy dialect: I speak Southern and nobody understands me, either! 😂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

poverty goat posted:

The cost of getting vaccinated is just waiting in that room for 15 minutes twice, so really you've already paid your debt many times over

Ahh I jumped ahead the line based on my age, and a town nearby just opened to all comers and was immediately SLAMMED. I got off easy all together. Which means folks are gonna be back to angling for a shot anyway they can get one in a weeks time here so, yea not feeling a lot of guilt letting those who want get one more crack at the old slot lottery.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Saw they were making a remake of Diablo 2, had good memories of playing Diablo 1 back in 1997, fired up the pirate bay got the 2000 version and oh my god what a turd that game was. It's the worst parts of idle clicker games and the most blah parts of Rogue (a game I like).

You just passively click a million times until a skeleton dies. Sometimes if things get a little hairy like a boss fight you press '1' to drink some health and if it gets really wild you occasionally click somewhere else to move away for a second. And when it's all over there's 900 pieces of junk all over the place, of which you can carry like, four before you need to portal home. Half of which is valueless and half of which is worth your time for no clear reason (a stack of throwing knives, stuff that pops out in the first area is worth up to like 500 gold but a suit of magical armor is worth like 300. The magic stuff requires a 100 gold identify scroll to figure out and then sells for like 30 bucks, up from 25 unidentified. The whole gameplay loop seemed to be lugging poo poo back to town to sell for a net profit of 50 gold above the cost of the teleport and identify scrolls. And anything you'd want to purchase from a store costs like 10,000

I played a necromancer and kept waiting for the fighting to get more intense than me walking into a room, and letting my skeletons, golem, and mercenary go to absolute work while picked a guy and tapped on him with my wand. Turns out you can't pick your difficulty, according to wikis you have to play all the way through to unlock a harder difficulty. Got to the point I'd leveled 5 times and hadn't bothered with spending any points cause what was the need?

I'm not missing anything right? This game must've dropped and kinda coasted to success on attitude and a lack of real competition, and that success made it a franchise? I checked the wikipedia I know this is a hot take: "Diablo II was one of the most popular games of 2000[5] and has been cited as one of the greatest video games ever made." This might seem like a mountain from a molehill but the thread has been quiet anyway, and I remember really liking Diablo 1. There's not even any fun recognizing stuff for nostalgia's sake. It's like trying a goldfish cracker at 35 after 25 years away and realizing they taste like poo poo and always did.

I mean I guess there's a lot OF it, I bailed cause it took me like 12-15 hours to get through Act 1 and the wiki said there were 4 more. Looks like it's something like 4-5x the content of Diablo 1?
E: Correction, Diablo had 16 levels Diablo II + Expansion had **120**. gently caress sake that's a lot of game. If they're all randomly generated I guess why not just let the RNG run?

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 16, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Holy poo poo you are stupid.

Not only was it one of the greatest games ever made by any measure, they are remaking the exact same game because everyone loves it so much.

edit: ok that came off mean. You have bad opinions. imo

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 16, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I don't play computer games anymore but if you asked me what were my most memorable games I'd probably say diablo 1&2, quake, leisure suit Larry, tribes, battle field Vietnam and captain cosmic. And minesweeper obviously.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

You just passively click a million times until a skeleton dies. Sometimes if things get a little hairy like a boss fight you press '1' to drink some health and if it gets really wild you occasionally click somewhere else to move away for a second.

Most games can be reduced to something really basic if you're gonna do it this way. Every rhythm game is "just click at the right time and it's the right time every time you retry the song lol you can just memorize it". I get your point but it can sound disingenuous.

As for the rest of the post.

PipHelix posted:

I'm not missing anything right? This game must've dropped and kinda coasted to success on attitude and a lack of real competition, and that success made it a franchise? I checked the wikipedia I know this is a hot take: "Diablo II was one of the most popular games of 2000[5] and has been cited as one of the greatest video games ever made." This might seem like a mountain from a molehill but the thread has been quiet anyway, and I remember really liking Diablo 1. There's not even any fun recognizing stuff for nostalgia's sake. It's like trying a goldfish cracker at 35 after 25 years away and realizing they taste like poo poo and always did.

I mean I guess there's a lot OF it, I bailed cause it took me like 12-15 hours to get through Act 1 and the wiki said there were 4 more. Looks like it's something like 4-5x the content of Diablo 1?
E: Correction, Diablo had 16 levels Diablo II + Expansion had **120**. gently caress sake that's a lot of game. If they're all randomly generated I guess why not just let the RNG run?

D2 has a lot more levels but D1 is a slower game, D1 levels take longer unless you're manipulating RNG in which case the game lasts a few minutes. But yeah even then D2 is way way way bigger than D1.

Most people that I know who still play D2 play D2ES. People who still play ARPGs have mostly moved to other games, I'm not sure I know anyone who's been playing D2 since it was released and it's not ES or the other mod I forgot the name.

D2 has a problem in that it was not just the proto modern-arpg, it was the proto modern-everything. I don't think it invented most of its features but it was certainly the game to unite them and popularize them. To this day you still have games that follow D2's blueprint, its talent system, its normal magic rare unique system, its affix philosophy, etc. And games, even Blizzard ones, have been iterating on that same exact formula for two decades. There's nothing wrong with the original D2, if anything there was too much right and you might have played so many things derived from it that the og D2 has lost its point for your set of preferences.

D1 feels in some ways like a modern indie game that could come out and be played and have that slow pacing. D2 is, well, D2. If you're not actively looking to play the remastered version of the game that you liked, then I'm afraid yeah, there might not be much there for you in 2021. D2 didn't coast to success on a lack of real competition, it made the competition.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 16, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Holy poo poo you are stupid.

Not only was it one of the greatest games ever made by any measure, they are remaking the exact same game because everyone loves it so much.

edit: ok that came off mean. You have bad opinions. imo

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Diablo 2 rocked and if you hate it it's tantamount to hating tugging and makes you a dull smooth brained person

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Oh, you are saying that hating Diablo 2 makes you retarded?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

silence_kit posted:

Turn on your monitor

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

“Elentor” posted:

Most games can be reduced to something really basic if you're gonna do it this way. Every rhythm game is "just click at the right time and it's the right time every time you retry the song lol you can just memorize it"

I’m agreeing to this but for one class in one single game from 1999–bards in EverQuest. People played EQ (including me) on 56k modems. If your latency was +175ms you simply couldn’t play a bard. They were very challenging to play on day one, and even as they leveled it got harder and harder as they gained new skills and instruments. A halfway proficient bard was always in a group, and their play style involved buffing the other PCs tremendously with pushing macros and action buttons. There were certain “rhythms” bards could practice which went far beyond muscle memory, almost to savant-level awareness of all their song effects blended to max effectiveness with weaving instruments in rhythm as well. It involved waaaay more skill and dexterity than playing an oboe or high school violin. Each song took its own instrument type to gain max effects, but a good bard could save a 70 person raid. Especially when Epic weapons were added because the Bard Epic counted as the best instrument of its type.

They called the button mashing “Twisting songs.” Really good bards could play four different effects per six-second “tick,” and were given first choice on all raid loot even if they were moonlighting in a “rival” guild. One good bard could carry a raid alone, and they figured out many strategies used in many more modern games. Feign death pulling was awesome for monks, but I’d been raid with a Grand Maestro bard that was just as likely to kill a pack of 3 or 4 mobs with mind control, pulsing DoTs, and would end up pulling a single boss mob to the raid already at 1/4 health. All the nerfs to class fantasy games were based on EQ tricks by bards, kiting druids, and Necromancer pets with dual wield steel daggers.

What did I do over quarantine? I watched videos and read webpages about Fansy the Famous Bard on the brand new “no-rules” PvP server. Spoiler: They had to bring the server down to make a rule on the very first day just for Fansy!

https://www.notacult.com/fansythefamous.htm

Just look up his name. If you aren’t 35 you may just waste an hour or two, eventually ending up with Leeroy Jenkins and Angwe the Rogue in Menethil Harbor (vanilla WoW).

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

silence_kit posted:

lol we should replace the moderation staff with a word filter

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I enjoy the personal touch of people getting called out for using an old term for a disability as a lovely insult.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AKZ posted:

I enjoy the personal touch of people getting called out for using an old term for a disability as a lovely insult.

Well, thank you. :tipshat:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

gently caress tha mods

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

poverty goat posted:

gently caress tha mods

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
gently caress everything but in a consensual sex positive way

E: that's not what I'm doing in quarantine btw. More loving nothing in a consensual sex positive way.

I'm digging out the garden today, gonna find all the potatoes I missed last season.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

boar guy posted:

crossposting from the pinball thread, since i get dose two next week and things finally look like they may end some day:

i've almost finished my quarantine project F-14. just need to touch up the black paint. in total, I ended up:

rebuilding all 4 flippers
replacing the switch on the Yakov kicker
replacing the left center pocket coil bracket- it took about a month to hunt the part down when i could have just replaced the whole coil for $14
replacing the left center pocket retaining gate wire
replacing all the incandescent bulbs with LEDs
sending the boards to Missouri for a $300 repair/bulletproofing including installing NVRAM
replacing all the plastics and star posts with NOS
replacing all the rubbers
replacing the Yagov, light lock and spinner stickers
fixing a damaged piece of playfield wood on the right outlane
replacing the rollthrough sensor on the left side lock habitrail
soldering a standup target and an LED back in to place
repairing the pulley system that drives the gumballs on the topper
generally unfucking lots of "field repairs" including stripped screw holes that'd been patched with toothpicks
tightening/locking down all the posts on what has been a very hard routed machine- now it gets to relax as a HUO
dipped the legs in CLR and scrubbed them to new
and if some of you recall, when i brought the machine home, it looked like this on the left side (i think the best comment posted here was 'did that thing fall off a truck and slide a hundred yards on its side?':

and now, eleven months and a corona-timed landlord ending our lease later, i'll be bringing it inside probably Friday, depends on how fast the black gets touched up (wife volunteered, i'm trying not to be pushy):

it was fun, and a good reason to get off my computer during corona, but i don't want to buy a machine that needs this much work again. i feel like i learned a lot and could diagnose nearly anything now. the worst, most tedious and nerve-wracking part was by far doing the paint. just pay someone the $900 to redo your cab for you, trust me :D

oh, and drilling out the rivets on the old plastics to get access to the parts that needed to be re used. that also was an utter bitch

getting my second shot a week from saturday. gonna go ref a bunch of soccer games

Flat out, I would love to have the space, cash, and know-how to either own or repair a pinball table but I have none of these things. While I can't wear a hat without looking like some sort of Gillian from a Gilligan Island, if I did I'd take mine off for you.

My two main quarantine projects (and we're in lockdown... AGAIN) have been creating a world for narrative/creative purposes and trying to develop a game. I had originally proposed it to a Discord as a kind of tabletop silliness called "Mega Frankenstein" where the Doctor has created a rock band made of monsters who tour the world solving mysteries, collecting new monsters for the band and inevitably fighting a giant abomination during their concert, forcing them to form into a MEGA MONSTER. Then they go to the next city and hold a concert to pay for the collateral damages done to the previous city. A few people in said Discord said they'd rather see it as an actual RPG game, so I'm looking into that. I'm a bit disappointed that very little of Mega Frankenstein would actually use my world build.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Just had mini derps 5th birthday. Was nice cause she missed on having one last year. I'm loving exhausted now though!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Outrail posted:

I don't play computer games anymore but if you asked me what were my most memorable games I'd probably say diablo 1&2, quake, leisure suit Larry, tribes, battle field Vietnam and captain cosmic. And minesweeper obviously.

Ditto here on the stopped playing computer games. My most memorables would be Doom 1, Doom 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, Civilization, Civilization II, Master Of Orion 2. I gotta stop somewher because I just keep remembering more games, one really nice game that jumped out at me from the 90s was Terra Nova.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Spending an hour trying to repair my walkman only to get it all running and find that the motor is dying and playing all my cassettes at warbly 1/8th speed

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
drat you tech from 1998. You win again.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Swap the motor!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Vim Fuego posted:

Swap the motor!

:lol:

I think maybe I'll just go cruise the resale stores and see if I can just replace it for like $5. Also, I just want you all to see how far I made it and imagine how excited I was that I got this thing working only for it to give me the freaking finger:

https://i.imgur.com/urWtYKC.mp4

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
If it's a genuine Walkman it's worth fixing, those things have skyrocketed in value.

Also it could be the belt disintegrating, the rubber they're made of turns to slime after about 20 years. Tons of replacements on ebay if you're willing to pop it open.

Edit: read your post more closely and watched the video, probably not the belt.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

internet celebrity posted:

If it's a genuine Walkman it's worth fixing, those things have skyrocketed in value.

Also it could be the belt disintegrating, the rubber they're made of turns to slime after about 20 years. Tons of replacements on ebay if you're willing to pop it open.

It is genuine and it's already open. The belt is fine actually. Surprisingly, really. This model is for sure NOT one of the ones with a huge resale value. If worse comes to worse I can replace it on eBay for like $25. I checked before I opened it up.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
baking banana bread

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sjs00 posted:

baking banana bread

I love banana bread. I don't really like sweet stuff and banana bread isn't overly sweet. It's just right. With some butter on it.

I just got my fishing license for the year. I only fish like once a year but I want to do more of it this year. I'm a pansy and probably can't gut a fish but I'd really like to eat what I catch. I'll probably just catch and release.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I would like to get into fishing. I need a fishing buddy.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
loving christ-on-a-buiscuit, my loving planer broke AGAIN. This time it's actually in the gear box and :lol: it's a discontinued part that some fuckdick on eBay wants $70 before shipping for:lol:

Talked to a guy who cuts gears today. Sounds like he may be able to fab a new one for me.

So now my planer is torn down to pretty much it's basic constituent elements. I'm removing all the grime and bits of rust from every nook and cranny and am kind of thinking, if I'm going through all the dang trouble of tearing it down anyway I ought to do a full restoration. Thinking it'd be pretty fly to have a pink and teal planer in my shop....

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
My goon, just buy another planer at that point.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Internetjack posted:

My goon, just buy another planer at that point.

I will never.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I will turn this thing into a true Frankenstein's monster.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
A cute one.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Also it just sounds fun as poo poo.

And who has a custom planer???

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Its okay, you don't have to confess.

Throw out the trash and buy new toys. New toys are the best. At least for a few months.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Lol. Don't worry. When this bb finally really dies, like Oops-the-smoke-all-leaked-out dies, I got my eye on dewalt's 240v beauty.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I love banana bread. I don't really like sweet stuff and banana bread isn't overly sweet. It's just right. With some butter on it.

I just got my fishing license for the year. I only fish like once a year but I want to do more of it this year. I'm a pansy and probably can't gut a fish but I'd really like to eat what I catch. I'll probably just catch and release.

I haven't been fishing in years, but I used to clip the barbs off my hooks sometimes to make it easier to dehook and release what I caught. I would clean and eat what I caught sometimes, but it's not my favorite thing.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Literally A Person posted:

Also it just sounds fun as poo poo.

And who has a custom planer???

My father & I have a large planer custom built in 1984 for $316,000 in 1984 $ (I don’t know how to calculate that in 2021 $). It’ll plane up to 45”wide/2” thickness red oak as fast as you can throw boards through it, and it is in fabulous shape. It only weighs like 40 tons and is 60’ long. Dad and my brother did individual-blade maintenance and or replacement every week. It’s in a warehouse about an hour from Memphis but I traded the forklift* for many dump trucks worth of gravel because my Mom wanted a circle driveway and, well, quarantine.

*I have 0 idea how to get the planer out for auction without the forklift 🥸.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

DerekSmartymans posted:

My father & I have a large planer custom built in 1984 for $316,000 in 1984 $ (I don’t know how to calculate that in 2021 $). It’ll plane up to 45”wide/2” thickness red oak as fast as you can throw boards through it, and it is in fabulous shape. It only weighs like 40 tons and is 60’ long. Dad and my brother did individual-blade maintenance and or replacement every week. It’s in a warehouse about an hour from Memphis but I traded the forklift* for many dump trucks worth of gravel because my Mom wanted a circle driveway and, well, quarantine.

*I have 0 idea how to get the planer out for auction without the forklift 🥸.

That is basically cool af.

Tell me you have some pictures or video of this behemoth.