Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Anyone have any Oscars speed run records? I swear it doesn't usually end before midnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s usually three hours, it ran over by 15 minutes or so

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Should've cut it a few minutes shorter. What an embarrassing ending. Go to all the trouble to rearrange the normal ending of the show to end on a good note and then it backfires in the worst way possible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was a dumb idea. Hopkins was amazing in The Father and I can’t be mad about his win at all

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If anything it's clear proof that the people putting on the Oscars have no idea about the vote counts. So that's something. Just about everyone was sure Chadwick Boseman would win so can't blame them too much for wanting that to be the showstopper with all the speeches and everything from his sister or some other family.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Are any of the best picture nominees worthy of a watch? Or any must-see performances? I don't even know who or what was nominated for anything or even who the host was.

For many years Mrs Isaboo and I either hosted or attended an Oscar party - complete with dressy-up and drunken shenanigans - but haven't in a long time. We wouldn't in the Covid era anyway, but I just haven't been excited by The Oscars for a while.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you like hatewatching Aaron Sorkin I highly recommend Trial of the Chicago 7. loving hate that guy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

isaboo posted:

Are any of the best picture nominees worthy of a watch? Or any must-see performances? I don't even know who or what was nominated for anything or even who the host was.

For many years Mrs Isaboo and I either hosted or attended an Oscar party - complete with dressy-up and drunken shenanigans - but haven't in a long time. We wouldn't in the Covid era anyway, but I just haven't been excited by The Oscars for a while.

If you watch only one of those films, watch One Night In Miami.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

If you like hatewatching Aaron Sorkin I highly recommend Trial of the Chicago 7. loving hate that guy.

I hate Aaron Sorkin with a passion since Newsroom so when I was saw his name in the credits after having enjoyed the movie I felt thoroughly trolled. To be fair, probably the best thing he has been involved in since The Social Network. Performances are great too.

If I'd actually recommend anything off the best picture noms it's The Father. It's relatively short and very well-made.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

I hate Aaron Sorkin with a passion since Newsroom so when I was saw his name in the credits after having enjoyed the movie I felt thoroughly trolled. To be fair, probably the best thing he has been involved in since The Social Network. Performances are great too.

If I'd actually recommend anything off the best picture noms it's The Father. It's relatively short and very well-made.

Yeah, but it's completely inaccurate to actual history.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Inaccurate is fine but stuff like entire rooms rising up and clapping because of a stirring speech or showing characters are smart by having them debate grammar in speech writing makes me want to barf.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, but it's completely inaccurate to actual history.

So was The Social Network. :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mu Zeta posted:

If anything it's clear proof that the people putting on the Oscars have no idea about the vote counts. So that's something.

Seems to me like it'd be better if they did know, so fuckups like this don't keep happening.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

isaboo posted:

Sound of Metal and Nomadland are excellent. Promising Young Woman you’ll either love or fuckin hate - I’m in the former category. Chicago 7 is like most Sorkin, good surface-level but falls apart if you think of it for more than two seconds, but it does have amazing performances, as did The Father. Mank is fine. I missed Judas and didn’t get around to finishing Minari (I was way too tired when I put it on) but what I saw seemed great

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Seems to me like it'd be better if they did know, so fuckups like this don't keep happening.

They used to release the winners beforehand to newspapers so they could print in a timely manner. However in 1940 the LA Times put out an edition with the winners before the ceremony.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

So was The Social Network. :v:

At least Social Network seemed inaccurate in a way that is getting at some greater truth.

But having communists stand up to to yell about the greatness.of the American polticsl system is bile inducing propoganda and I'm glad I never bothered to watch it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

muscles like this! posted:

They used to release the winners beforehand to newspapers so they could print in a timely manner. However in 1940 the LA Times put out an edition with the winners before the ceremony.

Well if a problem happened nearly 100 years ago it's probably a good idea to never let anyone know anything so people can look like clowns every year.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

isaboo posted:

Minari and Sound of Metal are fantastic. Minari would've been my pick to sweep the big categories if I had a vote. Judas and The Black Messiah is also really good but I'm not sure it's Best Picture good. I also wasn't too enthused by Nomadland. I think Chloe Zhao's last movie, The Rider, is way better but that may just be because I think that film is amazing on every level. I mean honestly Chadwick should have won because it's the only chance you ever have to give him one but I'll be honest in that I thought Steven Yeun and Riz Ahmed both put in better performances.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeun, Ahmed, and Hopkins were all better than Boseman for sure. Honestly maybe even Oldman too although he could have played that role in his sleep

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't see The Father so I can't comment on that performance. It very well may have deserved to win for all I know.

The Sound of Metal resonated with me more on a personal level as the whole hearing loss thing is something I've been through up to and including the struggle of looking into getting cochlear implants. I feel like I can't judge if that movie is as good as I think it is because it hits different for me due to my own experiences.

X-O fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 26, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mostly enjoyed Trial of the Chicago 7 when I saw it. It had some really nice, well-edited sequences. But the more I read about the stuff they just loving made up or changed or lied about, it cast this weird, almost nefarious pall over the whole thing. Why tell this story at all, and who benefits from it, if you're going to turn it into some feel-good pablum that undermines the gravitas of what actually happened? Also the ending was laughably terrible even at the time, and knowing it was completely fictionalized to give the story a dramatic "happy" ending just... sucks.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

I mostly enjoyed Trial of the Chicago 7 when I saw it. It had some really nice, well-edited sequences. But the more I read about the stuff they just loving made up or changed or lied about, it cast this weird, almost nefarious pall over the whole thing. Why tell this story at all, and who benefits from it, if you're going to turn it into some feel-good pablum that undermines the gravitas of what actually happened? Also the ending was laughably terrible even at the time, and knowing it was completely fictionalized to give the story a dramatic "happy" ending just... sucks.

Hollywood.txt

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/richsommer/status/1386678733491171336

Now all these men have died, of old age.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Having finished Shadow and Bone, I think my main problem with the show is that they have combined plots from two different book series, and one is way more interesting than the other:

Plot A: Magic teenager from humble origins is the chosen one who must save the world.

Plot B: Ocean's Eleven in fantasy Amsterdam, featuring a diverse cast of lovable rogues with hearts of gold who carry the show on their shoulders (along with their emotional support goat).

It's no contest, really.

Plot A is still reasonably entertaining, as these things go, but I would have happily traded it away for more Gangs of Magic Amsterdam. I hope they do a proper Six of Crows season later.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm only halfway through, but so far, Plot A was done way, way better by The Witcher. The Plot B stuff is a lot of fun but yeah, feels like it's out of a totally different show.

Still, overall it's a fun time if you're in the mood for a YA fantasy show. I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone who wasn't specifically looking for that, though.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A few episodes in to Rutherford Falls, and I'm not feeling it. Did they learn nothing by having Ed Helms as a lead in the later seasons of The Office?

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Cactus posted:

Alright I'm starting that tonight.

It's terrible. Love to see some 30 year old dude "romancing" a teen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SimonChris posted:

Having finished Shadow and Bone, I think my main problem with the show is that they have combined plots from two different book series, and one is way more interesting than the other:

Plot A: Magic teenager from humble origins is the chosen one who must save the world.

Plot B: Ocean's Eleven in fantasy Amsterdam, featuring a diverse cast of lovable rogues with hearts of gold who carry the show on their shoulders (along with their emotional support goat).

Oh so it sounds like it's Mistborn only definitely not anywhere nearly as good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Timby posted:

Let's Be Real is the brainchild of Robert Smigel and Jimmy Kimmel, so there's maybe an outside shot of it being funny?

My opinion is that the former president shouldn't be on TV even in the form of parody so they can get the gently caress right out with that.

Guy was an insurrectionist traitor that has been the primary contributing reason why we have half a million and counting COVID-19 deaths. Deny the vine light. If we can't toss him in a dark prison hole, zero attention needs to be given.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

IRQ posted:

Oh so it sounds like it's Mistborn only definitely not anywhere nearly as good.

I would do unholy things for a Mistborn limited series that doesn’t go all Altered Carbon and have a show runner who wants to go off and do their own thing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

shirunei posted:

This was my issue with the Stand remake, but up the number from 30 to 50.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

shirunei posted:

That guy is the main villain, and it is explicitly pointed out later that he was just grooming her for nefarious purposes. They even have another character tell her that she just thinks she likes him because he has centuries of experience manipulating dumb teenagers.

It's honestly better than a lot of other YA fantasy stuff in this regard. 500 year old vampires/wizards/whatever romancing teenagers is commonly presented as cool and romantic.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Queue up Twilight.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

X-O posted:

Minari and Sound of Metal are fantastic. Minari would've been my pick to sweep the big categories if I had a vote. Judas and The Black Messiah is also really good but I'm not sure it's Best Picture good. I also wasn't too enthused by Nomadland. I think Chloe Zhao's last movie, The Rider, is way better but that may just be because I think that film is amazing on every level. I mean honestly Chadwick should have won because it's the only chance you ever have to give him one but I'll be honest in that I thought Steven Yeun and Riz Ahmed both put in better performances.

I hated hated hated Sound of Metal and I think a large part of that is how unrealistic the mechanics of that metal band would be with just a drummer and singer guitarist, I know, I'm broken

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

SimonChris posted:

It's no contest, really.

Plot A is still reasonably entertaining, as these things go, but I would have happily traded it away for more Gangs of Magic Amsterdam. I hope they do a proper Six of Crows season later.

I'm only two episodes in but I'll cop to being way more into the lovable rogues than the chosen one + love interest (which is still fine tbh, but not as interesting as the rogues).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

I hated hated hated Sound of Metal

I didn’t even know this was possible

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I watched Mortal Kombat and if you're wondering if they say a thing from they game - they do. They say all the things from the game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The new character they introduced was terrible too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Azhais posted:

The new character they introduced was terrible too

No idea what the thought process behind that one was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

I watched Mortal Kombat and if you're wondering if they say a thing from they game - they do. They say all the things from the game.

They also say the thing from when you annoyed your siblings by cheesing a move they couldn’t figure out a counter to over and over.