Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Sirotan posted:

What does everyone do for surge protection for your wall mounted TVs? I know that surge receptacles exist but the best rated one I can find is for 720 joules vs a cheapo power strip I found that is rated at 250. Since they're all MOV style and need to be replaced regularly anyway, seems like the $11 power strip is the way to go. However, I dunno how I'm going to stick it behind my TV since the mounts I'm looking at all seem to only have about an inch clearance from wall to TV.

Power Bridge. Basically an in wall extension cord that’s electrical code compliant. It gets plugged into the surge protector with the rest of the gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Main thing I have is a box on the wall next to my outdoor panel, then regular surge protectors in the house. Lots of lightning here, I don’t think the indoor ones would offer any protection against those really.

Yeah I've already got a whole-house surge protector. Also as it turns out I am a moron, and a higher joule rating on a surge protector is actually good, not the other way around. :downs:

I've already added an outlet where the TV will be so I'll just replace it with a surge receptacle.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Mister Facetious posted:

Fury Road is the best thing for christening a television.

Speed Racer would like a word.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I wanna find a copy of IRIS by Justice but they're all like $300 now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

couldcareless posted:

Speed Racer would like a word.

Not available in 4k HDR.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It's not a great movie but some of the land of the dead scenes in Coco looked fantastic on an OLED.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Incessant Excess posted:

It's not a great movie... Coco

What the gently caress

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

bull3964 posted:

Not available in 4k HDR.

And it's a drat shame too.

Incessant Excess posted:

It's not a great movie

Seconding the what the gently caress

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
CoCo never landed for me either. Certainly not a bad movie by any means and it's gorgeous and I like the story. But as a whole I just never attached to like I have some others. Maybe because my kids didn't obsessively watch it like other movies.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
From a family where 50% of my grandparents are Hispanic and my English as a second language grandma that passed away recently, that poo poo brings me to tears every time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Undisputable fact:

Motion interpolation= good
Fury road= bad

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
I'm deciding between these two 55" recommended here. I have no preference if it has Roku or Android. Mainly will be used for blurays, sports, old tv shows on Amazon Prime. The Hisense is brighter but TCL seems to have better quality panels based on reviews I've read. The room is not super bright.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-5-series-qled-4k-uhd-smart-roku-tv/6422766.p?skuId=6422766

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-55-class-h8g-quantum-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6403994.p?skuId=6403994

Mouse Cadet fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 22, 2021

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Shame that Costco dropped TCL.

I know everyone here raves about the 6 series. Is the 8 even better what with the MiniLED backlight?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

While I have enjoyed my TCL 6 series for a while, I do see it as a value brand. When I'm ready to step up I will probably move away from it. The panel uniformity is downright crappy, hopefully spending a little more will get me a significantly better panel.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ultimate Mango posted:

Shame that Costco dropped TCL.

I know everyone here raves about the 6 series. Is the 8 even better what with the MiniLED backlight?

Everything I've read is that, while technically better, it's not as big of a jump as expected so basically stay with the 6 series. I think the new 6 series will be miniled anyway?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BonoMan posted:

Everything I've read is that, while technically better, it's not as big of a jump as expected so basically stay with the 6 series. I think the new 6 series will be miniled anyway?

The 6 is miniled and the 5 is QLED now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The 6 is miniled and the 5 is QLED now.

Yeah this is actually what I meant. Not sure why I said "will be."

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think I just wasted $8 on a non-powered HDMI splitter. I'm trying to split one of my desktop GPU's outputs, which was previously just going to my 4K TV. The GPU is an RX580, with two 1080p monitors connected to the HDMI ports, a 4K monitor on one of the DisplayPorts, and the big TV on the other DisplayPort via an HDMI adaptor. I want to split that last signal going to the TV so it's also going to the video switcher I use for livestreaming, so that I can run some audio-reactive video software as one of the inputs, but also see it on my big TV for room atmosphere while I DJ.

Connecting the splitter after the DP-HDMI adaptor yields nothing out to the TV anymore, but eliminating it in the chain and connecting the TV back to the adaptor works fine. I'm guessing there's a power supply issue going on, but is it worth juggling around the other outputs on the GPU? Otherwise, what's a good powered HDMI splitter that'll serve my purposes? It really only needs two outputs but more couldn't hurt.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

TCL 6 series first impression. Truly ungodly trying to get the anti scratch film off, and I'm one of those neurotic people who just has to get it off right away.

Feels smaller than my 850e even though I guess maybe it's bigger with slightly larger bezels?

Can't get it set up, keeps failing when I enter my email to set up the Roku account so I may have to factory reset before I've even set up the tv fully (this worked after connecting Ethernet and restarting but I had set up wifi on a previous step so I dunno)

Also be careful what you wish for. I hoped power cable would be on left side this time to better accommodate my setup, and I got it. But now I need a new longer HDMI cable cause that's on the opposite side :negative:

codo27 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 25, 2021

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Kind of a home theater question but it seems like a good place to ask:

If my sound bar is hooked up to my TV, should I also be connecting my uhd player to the soundbar (hdmi) as well? Or is that just redundant?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a way for me to set it up where turning on my PS5 turns on my CX but turning on my CX does not turn on my PS5? Right now, if I turn off my TV when it's set to the PS5's HDMI port will turn on the PS5 the next time I turn on the TV even if it is to do something else and it's kinda annoying. I know I could deactivate CEC on the PS5 outright but I'd still like for my TV to come on automatically when I turn on my PS5.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Soundbar isn't like a proper AV receiver, I wouldn't worry too much about running other devices through that unless you are short of ports on your TV.

I dont think you can do one thing but not the other with the PS5 but I might be wrong. Feel like its all or nothin

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

codo27 posted:

Soundbar isn't like a proper AV receiver, I wouldn't worry too much about running other devices through that unless you are short of ports on your TV.

I dont think you can do one thing but not the other with the PS5 but I might be wrong. Feel like its all or nothin

Okay thanks. I'd normally just have the TV connected to the bar with everything else running to the TV, but I saw the other thing mentioned and wasn't sure if I was missing out on some kind of benefit.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Well my Hisense that I've had for a month just turned itself off for a few seconds then back on while I was playing Switch, I'm sure this is fine right :smithicide:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hey thread, I’m finally replacing my 32” 720p LG TV since it’s speakers are finally beyond hope. I have about £400-450 to spend and basically anything would be a massive improvement over over the current TV, what’s the most TV I can get for that much right now?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Well poo poo, looks like talks with Google and Roku have broken down and Google is likely to remove the YouTube TV App from Rokus.

These talks generally resolve themselves like most of these disputes, but still sucks.

Full email:

quote:

Dear Roku Customer,

We are sending this email to update you on the possibility that Google may take away your access to the YouTube TV channel on Roku. Recent negotiations with Google to carry YouTube TV have broken down because Roku cannot accept Google’s unfair terms as we believe they could harm our users.

Ensuring a great streaming experience at an exceptional value is the core of our business. We will always stand up for our users, which is why we cannot accept Google's unfair and anticompetitive requirements to manipulate your search results, impact the usage of your data and ultimately cost you more.

While we are deeply disappointed in Google’s decision to use their monopoly power to try and force terms that will directly harm streamers, we remain committed to reaching an agreement with Google that preserves your access to YouTube TV, protects your data and ensures a level playing field for companies to compete. We encourage you to contact Google and urge them to reach an agreement to continue offering YouTube TV on Roku and to follow standard industry practices pledging not to require access to sensitive search data or to manipulate your search results.

Thank you,

Roku

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

I made an incredibly dumb/fantastic decision and bought a 55" LG CX - won't be here until sometime next month, but that just means I can get ahead of the curve buying and downloading neat things to watch on it; are there any recommendations for films, shows, or games which have particularly good HDR implementations, or is it just the case that everything will be that much better on the OLED panel? already planning on rewatching part 8 of twin peaks: the return as one of my first picks 🎉

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Katty! posted:

particularly good HDR implementations

Not sure how important the quality of the movie itself is but the HDR implementation of the 2019 Lion King movie is supposed to be absolutely excellent.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watching stuff like 'Under the Skin' is always fun because there's so many scenes where there's a single lit subject and everything else is pure black. You just can't recreate that on most screens.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Katty! posted:

I made an incredibly dumb/fantastic decision and bought a 55" LG CX - won't be here until sometime next month, but that just means I can get ahead of the curve buying and downloading neat things to watch on it; are there any recommendations for films, shows, or games which have particularly good HDR implementations, or is it just the case that everything will be that much better on the OLED panel? already planning on rewatching part 8 of twin peaks: the return as one of my first picks 🎉

I did the same early last week, though I picked mine up retail because it just barely fit in the car, and so far Netflix nature documentaries have been my favorite things other than demo videos. Most of the latest ones are in HDR and it's just breathtaking.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I just got an OLED as well and the neat thing about OLEDs is that everything looks better since all blacks have that inky black, where something like HDR you need content created for it. I have only watched baseball and played some games and it always blows me away.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

BonoMan posted:

Well poo poo, looks like talks with Google and Roku have broken down and Google is likely to remove the YouTube TV App from Rokus.

These talks generally resolve themselves like most of these disputes, but still sucks.

Full email:

LOL, just as I was literally about to cut the cord from DirecTV and go to Youtube TV. (Although still kind of holding back because I found lots of negative reports online about Youtube TV making GBS threads the bed during live sports--buffering or pixelating, etc).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Really wish I could get more information on when I can actually buy a G1. :(

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Internet Explorer posted:

Really wish I could get more information on when I can actually buy a G1. :(
Feels like all companies have given up on release dates for hardware this year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Because they would all be lies. Supply chain is so hosed, you have no idea if some chip that you need on some sub-component can even be gotten anymore.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I don't blame them at all. We just moved and even trying to like, get a dining room table or a couch is a 4+ month wait. Makes planning a new space real awkward.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Number_6 posted:

LOL, just as I was literally about to cut the cord from DirecTV and go to Youtube TV. (Although still kind of holding back because I found lots of negative reports online about Youtube TV making GBS threads the bed during live sports--buffering or pixelating, etc).

Eh Youtube TV is still great and I have had none of those issues. I still while heatedly recommend it. They run deals all the time where you get the new Google TV device with it (the new one with an interface and physical remote).

And this will likely be resolved anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, I don't blame them at all. We just moved and even trying to like, get a dining room table or a couch is a 4+ month wait. Makes planning a new space real awkward.

Yeah lead times on everything is real bad, my advice to anyone who thinks an essential appliance might be on its way out is to replace it ASAP before your fridge dies and you have to wait 6 weeks for delivery of a new one.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Parents ordered new appliances in...september? Got them like just before Christmas? I actually feel like I have that hosed up and it was worse than that.

My new TV, I checked BB website the day before I brought in my old one for warranty replacement. They didn't have the one I wanted in stock. Resigned to the fact I'd have to wait for it to be shipped. Got in there, I'm asking the guy whats the lead time like on getting one. For 65" he says, gotta come in a shipping container, so at least 4 weeks. Great, I have to go home and take my old 46" 1080p out of the bedroom and put it on the living room wall. I tell him what TV I want, he asks another kid there and he says "yeah I think we have one". Goes in back, they have two, just arrived the day before. You'd be amazed how often things like that happen to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I go to Menards and they have a fuckload of appliances on the floor saying "no wait", but yeah I tried to buy a bed and they said 6 months.