Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SuperTeeJay posted:

Looks like a completely unnecessary upgrade from the 4K but I’ll probably buy one just so that it’ll use VRR or whatever when I replace my second generation OLED later this year for other marginal improvements.

I’m an idiot.

Literally the exact same.

I don’t need this upgrade at all but I’ll probably end up getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I have no reason to upgrade my 4K but it's at least nice that they kept the pricing in line, even with the "fancy" new remote.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

In the UK it's actually £10 cheaper than the old 4K.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

qirex posted:

The calibration feature is coming to the old 4k, so this upgrade is basically just "we wanted to stop making the old CPU":

press release here

e: Also the apple TV is $180 and half the word thinks it's way too expensive, how would a $600 model improve that?

Oh word? I'm not sure that I will even bother upgrading unless there's some sick feature I've overlooked. I still don't even have a 4k TV, although will be getting one in the near future when I buy my new house (or a projector).

I use a harmony remote now and it works just fine as the benefits of even this new remote seem to be less than the benefit of only having one remote to control my TV, AV, and ATV.

Unless the ATV can control my AV receiver AND TV too now??

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It can power on your TV and change inputs, and can adjust the volume of your receiver through CEC. You won't be able to do anything more advanced than that though, like enter your TV's settings menu.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

In other words, nothing the current Apple TV can't do. The only difference is the new remote has a dedicated power and mute function.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

American McGay posted:

It can power on your TV and change inputs, and can adjust the volume of your receiver through CEC. You won't be able to do anything more advanced than that though, like enter your TV's settings menu.

OH REALLY... I may have to try that. My ATV is connected to my Receiver over HDMI and then that goes to the TV. So provided my receiver supports CEC, I'm good?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

CEC is supposed to be universal but also remember it's a bit of a roulette, and not always seamless in application

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Well gently caress me, it works. Well, nearly does but good enough. Just doesn't power my TV off, but it'll turn off by itself after a period of time. Powers it on just fine though.

This covers 99% of my use cases with just one remote, my kids will have to do something different when they want to play and cast the Oculus Quest through the Chromecast, but that's easy peasy.

Ordering 2 of these remotes day 1. That remote plus the color calibration makes me not see any reason to upgrade from my 4K.

Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One day, your CEC implementation will fail. You won’t know why, and you won’t know how to fix it. It’ll just be lost to time.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Well gently caress me, it works. Well, nearly does but good enough. Just doesn't power my TV off, but it'll turn off by itself after a period of time. Powers it on just fine though.

If it powers it on but not off (or the other way around) you might try unplugging the tv, letting it sit for a minute, and plugging it back in.
My tv does that sometimes and unplugging it seems to be the only way to get CEC working fully again.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

If it powers it on but not off (or the other way around) you might try unplugging the tv, letting it sit for a minute, and plugging it back in.
My tv does that sometimes and unplugging it seems to be the only way to get CEC working fully again.

I'll give it a go. I have two TVs of similar make, just a year difference in model (2012/2013 I think). They both behaved the same. I'm guessing it's when CEC wasn't that prevalent and they were still pushing their proprietary technology through LG to something similar.

At the end of it, it's a compromise I'm willing to make.

EL BROMANCE posted:

One day, your CEC implementation will fail. You won’t know why, and you won’t know how to fix it. It’ll just be lost to time.

Is it something that gets better with time? As I'm soon to be in the new TV or projector market, maybe it'll be better?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

This works for me when I have problems. I am using a Samsung 4K tv and it fixes things when my Apple TV gets out of sync

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Absolutely true.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yep. My Switch no longer turns everything on.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Apple TV has long been the only device I have ever owned that has integrated flawlessly CEC-wise into all of my existing stuff. The TV, the receiver, even other devices on the receiver. It actually unironically Just Works. With the power button on the new remote, I can actually almost entirely retire my TV remote now, because the Apple remote will cover the only problem any of my consoles have (being unable to turn the TV off).

I also have no need of the new 4K in particular but I'm probably going to buy it anyway. I can't wait to find out that it somehow breaks my CEC.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use a Sideclick for specific TV functions but otherwise the Apple TV remote just works for me too.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
the combination of swoop and also click could be perfect, but like already pointed out - not a fan of the play/pause button location.

My CEC has only really worked for turning everything OFF from the Apple remote. ( 2017 Sony TV, 2017 Yamaha Receiver constantly fighting each other.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

2017 Sony TV, 2017 Yamaha Receiver constantly fighting each other.

I had that issue while setting it up last night as well. Receiver kept switching over to TV Audio and then back to AppleTV when I pressed a button. I fixed it by going into my TV settings and disabling audio entirely on my TV. Since I don't use those speakers at all, it has no effect on my set up and resolved the issue. Appears that it stopped sending the signal to the receiver after doing that. Give that a try?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
only if my xfinity x1 box would have CEC as well...

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

I had that issue while setting it up last night as well. Receiver kept switching over to TV Audio and then back to AppleTV when I pressed a button. I fixed it by going into my TV settings and disabling audio entirely on my TV. Since I don't use those speakers at all, it has no effect on my set up and resolved the issue. Appears that it stopped sending the signal to the receiver after doing that. Give that a try?

I will check that out - but I route everything through the TV since the RX-475 receiver (despite its claims) doesn't seem to do the 4k pass through to Apple's satisfaction and was even more of a pita.

A lot of my issues are that I use the FM radio on the receiver first thing every morning so then to get it into TV mode later in the day I have a program in the Logitech Harmony 665 remote that is basically:
Turn on Apple TV device and go to Home, Set TV input to Input2 and Receiver to AV4
................TV starts switching from Input2 to Input4 over and over before deciding Input4 is where it wants to be instead of Input2
....................receiver starts playing FM radio like it just woke up in the morning and ignores the AV4 input from the TV for sound

so then you have to press the program button again and it finally gets it, until the next evening of course.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I have two TCL TVs with soundbars. I managed to get ARC working on those. CEC is flawless on those as well. All three devices turn on, TV input changed correctly, and volume controls are successfully passed to the soundbars. Putting the AppleTV to sleep also turns everything else off.

I have a Bravia in my home office (1080p), along with an ATV 4 and PS4. CEC works with the ATV 4K except for the weird times it doesn't. It also works for changing the input and turning on for the PS4, but will not shut off the TV when I put the PS4 to sleep.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

My CEC has only really worked for turning everything OFF from the Apple remote. ( 2017 Sony TV, 2017 Yamaha Receiver constantly fighting each other.

Funny enough, my ATV would CEC everything off for years perfectly, until like a month ago where it now bounces the TV video over to the Switch that's currently off, and switches from my Sonos (via ARC) to the TV speakers :lol:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I've been needing another Apple TV so :toot:. Got a projector for my birthday and will basically just mount the ATV on there I guess, maybe another portable Switch dock now that I think about it. I was curious if the auto calibration would be possible and supposedly (according to someone that tried it on another forum) it works if you project on a diffuser of some sort (i.e. paper) and calibrate from the back side. I'm guessing it'll be a bit off, but considering my projector and usual lighting conditions it probably won't matter enough for me to notice.

Re: CEC tales of woe, I think I've generally been fine, other than Switch not turning things on/off last I recall after working fine before. My biggest annoyance is when input switching doesn't work, or when playing the Switch, having the ATV's control affect things. Like if the ATV is off and I'm playing the Switch, using the ATV remote for volume will turn it on and switch inputs to itself. I think it's fine if it's already on, but I forget. Otherwise I've had the ATV go to sleep while I'm playing and turn off the TV...and now I remember why my sleep setting was set so long.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Who's gonna be the guinea pig who upgrades to tvOS 14.5 and tells us which apps break? Especially YouTube and Crunchyroll, since Google have done their all not to update any apps to comply with the tracking disclosure.

Rumours say iOS might drop around 10 AM PT. Presumably tvOS would follow.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ya, that's me.. it took longer to upgrade to iOS 14.5 on my drat phone than the ATV 4K did.

Tried out YT, PBS, Crunchyroll, some others, everything works.

Tried out Color Balance.. holy poo poo it made a big difference on AppleTV movies like Greyhound and others like Pacific Rim.. I calibrated with my iPhoney 11 and a lovely Toshiba combo DVD player, only a 24" screen.. colors popped better, could swear I got a rez upgrade on a lovely 1080p TV.. worked the first time out.. a little weirded out how it told me to use my front camera instead of the back, and I had to hold the phone an inch from the screen.. but worth it for the 40 seconds it took for the entire procedure..

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Interesting. I wonder how long until someone makes a bootleg app for Android phones. I'd like to think I've got my TV pretty well calibrated already, but I'm also interested to see what if any difference it would make.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Ya, that's me.. it took longer to upgrade to iOS 14.5 on my drat phone than the ATV 4K did.

Tried out Color Balance.. holy poo poo it made a big difference on AppleTV movies like Greyhound and others like Pacific Rim.. I calibrated with my iPhoney 11 and a lovely Toshiba combo DVD player, only a 24" screen.. colors popped better, could swear I got a rez upgrade on a lovely 1080p TV.. worked the first time out.. a little weirded out how it told me to use my front camera instead of the back, and I had to hold the phone an inch from the screen.. but worth it for the 40 seconds it took for the entire procedure..

I think the front camera has a more accurate light sensor. So it’s probably better at measuring brightness.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Nice! Can’t wait to try this out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is there a recommended light level for the room when doing the calibration or should it not matter? I did it in the usual lighting conditions for the room and it made a slight change in the color on the TV.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Binary Badger posted:

It uses FaceID ... which was a fun thing to realize when I was standing in front of the TV with my iPhone SE 2. :smith:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Color calibration made a big difference on my old 32” garage Sharp, but would not run on my LG OLED because I have dolbyvision turned on, and the AppleTV just says that the colors are correct and greys out the option to run the calibration.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm hesitant to give iOS color control since True Tone just makes my phone screen look like piss.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Color calibration was slight for me (2015 vizio HD)but I used consumer reports calibration settings for my specific model so glad they’re similar

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm hesitant to give iOS color control since True Tone just makes my phone screen look like piss.

I'm hopeful it just gives you a starting point and you can tweak it. But I don't think that's how True Tone works and I have that turned off on my phone too so :shrug:

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Did my color balance and the difference basically seemed like going from Warm 1 to Warm 2. I’m a plebe who doesn’t love how warm 2 looks, so I’ll probably cancel the changes.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
The Colour Balance feature is just about what I would come to expect from the people behind Wireless Sync: a compelling feature, but the lack of a useful before-and-after comparison is going to make a lot of people go with the original settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYrl8k7ymxE

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Weird thing for me when it does the color calibration it fails every time it hits the greyish white step. iPhone 11 Pro. Atv4k. Anyone else getting this?

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

kliras posted:

The Colour Balance feature is just about what I would come to expect from the people behind Wireless Sync: a compelling feature, but the lack of a useful before-and-after comparison is going to make a lot of people go with the original settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYrl8k7ymxE

Yeah, really not sure why you can only see the screen saver after calibrating. Really not great for doing a before and after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Matt Zerella posted:

Weird thing for me when it does the color calibration it fails every time it hits the greyish white step. iPhone 11 Pro. Atv4k. Anyone else getting this?

Does it say anything when it fails? It should give a message.