Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The effect was pretty subtle for me, moved things slightly cooler towards blue/green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

jabro posted:

Does it say anything when it fails? It should give a message.

It just said I have to try again. I have a very bright room I'll give it a shot again tonight when it's darker.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Matt Zerella posted:

It just said I have to try again. I have a very bright room I'll give it a shot again tonight when it's darker.

Also make sure you don’t have any video settings activated that would prevent the app from changing any settings. If you have your TV set to automatically adjust color settings the app won’t work. Even some of the preset video settings will grey out some settings too.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Weird thing for me when it does the color calibration it fails every time it hits the greyish white step. iPhone 11 Pro. Atv4k. Anyone else getting this?

It's happening with my XS Max too. It gets about half way done and then craps out. I've tried it an inch away from my screen and directly on my screen. Every time it stops at the same place.

I'm currently updating my work iphone (11). I'll try it again with that.

Edit: I got it to work. I changed my TV's picture setting from "normal" to "movie". It then let me finish out the color balancing.

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 26, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I can't use the fancy calibration because the SE doesn't have FaceID.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

qirex posted:

The effect was pretty subtle for me, moved things slightly cooler towards blue/green.

This is basically what it did for me too. I had already roughly calibrated my screen by taking the Rtings numbers and tweaking them to my liking, so I figured they must have been pretty close.

I ended up keeping the new calibration since, if there hadn't been a before/after showing me the difference, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what changed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It went in the other direction for me, which doesn’t surprise me because I run a cool color profile on my screen rather than the warm ones people seem to prefer.

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones
The colour control on my TV has always driven me to distraction. As it has a huge overlay to control the colour controls, so it has been near on impossible to use.

Now after this it's warmed up the picture a little, and it looks a whole load better.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Color balance just doesn't work at all for me, I've tried on both my TVHD and TV4K both updated to 14.5 restarted both, iPhone is updated to 14.5 and I've restarted that too, ever time the inital set up card appears and then is just endlessly 'Preparing'.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use DolbyVision so I don’t know if it’s even, like, worth doing instead.

I also don’t know what DolbyVision is. When I enabled it, everything was a little bit more yellow. I guess it’s supposed to be better, so I’ll keep it on?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it’s not really a function for us (us meaning goons who are really into tech and will generally fiddle with tv settings)?

Maybe it’s more for casual buyers who might never change it out of demo mode.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

jokes posted:

I use DolbyVision so I don’t know if it’s even, like, worth doing instead.

I also don’t know what DolbyVision is. When I enabled it, everything was a little bit more yellow. I guess it’s supposed to be better, so I’ll keep it on?

Dolby Vision is HDR. It doesn't let you do the calibration if you're in DV mode since I guess that has it's own color/brightness data in the stream. Or something.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
You shouldn't really be using DolbyVision mode anyway. Set your AppleTV to 4kSDR and Match Dynamic Range and Frame Rate both to "ON". It will leave DolbyVision off until you watch any content that supports it, and turn it on for that content.

Otherwise you're just having the AppleTV do it's own somewhat questionable conversion of all your content into DolbyVision, not to mention burning out your TV faster.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

You shouldn't really be using DolbyVision mode anyway. Set your AppleTV to 4kSDR and Match Dynamic Range and Frame Rate both to "ON". It will leave DolbyVision off until you watch any content that supports it, and turn it on for that content.

Otherwise you're just having the AppleTV do it's own somewhat questionable conversion of all your content into DolbyVision, not to mention burning out your TV faster.

Keep in mind though some modern TVs I am pretty sure already do frame rate matching. On my CX65 I have it disabled on the Apple TV because the tv already does all the matching already.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Did the calibration and basically just ended up warmer. I'm guessing if you're anal and already tried calibrating on your own before you'll basically end up with a color temperature tweak.

I also tried the wireless sound sync calibration thing, no clue if that's new. I have a receiver and sometimes also output to a HomePod mini in the kitchen. Not perfect but pretty close on default, but noticeably worse with the calibration. It only played a sound on the receiver to begin with so not sure what wireless sound it's referring to, was it an old thing for bluetooth speakers?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I did the calibration and it ended up a bit cooler. :shrug:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Endless Mike posted:

I did the calibration and it ended up a bit cooler. :shrug:

I think that’s what most people will see. Warmer picture settings seem to be more popular than cooler/neutral.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My TV is HDR and I just turned on “enable content matching” and it makes the screen go black for a second or two when I watch something that’s not HDR.

Is that normal? It’s a bit annoying because the audio starts when there’s a black screen still.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

My TV is HDR and I just turned on “enable content matching” and it makes the screen go black for a second or two when I watch something that’s not HDR.

Is that normal? It’s a bit annoying because the audio starts when there’s a black screen still.

Yes that will happen every time

I suggest setting your Apple TV to SDR and keep frame and range matching on. You probably watch less HDR stuff than SDR so it will switch less

The Gillman fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 29, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Gillman posted:

I suggest setting your Apple to SDR and keep frame and range matching on. You probably watch less HDR stuff than SDR so it will switch less

Ok fair enough that’s probably true as well.

If I do that should I re do the calibration? I’m going to assume I should.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The Gillman posted:

I suggest setting your Apple to SDR and keep frame and range matching on. You probably watch less HDR stuff than SDR so it will switch less

This!!! Really should be the default option.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I'm surprised they haven't relabeled it by now given it's something 90% of people go through. It makes sense when you know how it works, but it's a bit counter intuitive at first.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So just so I’m clear on it, with frame and range matching on when HDR content is played it will auto switch to HDR?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

So just so I’m clear on it, with frame and range matching on when HDR content is played it will auto switch to HDR?

Your TV might show when it's in HDR mode. My Sony X900F says Dolby Vision and my TCL says HDR in the upper corner for a few seconds when it goes to HDR.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Your TV might show when it's in HDR mode. My Sony X900F says Dolby Vision and my TCL says HDR in the upper corner for a few seconds when it goes to HDR.

Yeah it does that. I’m just confused because the ATV asks me to turn HDR on. I’ll have to find some HDR content to try it on and see what it does.

Last question, does anyone have a good explanation as to what RGB high and RGB low actually do? I have it set to RGB high because :shrug:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't actually own an Apple TV but that is changing as soon as these new models release.

Are the Apple TVs a hot ticket item like iPhones such that I should plan to pre-order at midnight PST if I want to have it shipped in a reasonable timeframe?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Protocol7 posted:

I don't actually own an Apple TV but that is changing as soon as these new models release.

Are the Apple TVs a hot ticket item like iPhones such that I should plan to pre-order at midnight PST if I want to have it shipped in a reasonable timeframe?

It's really hard to say right now. It's a new device, there's supply chain issues right now due to COVID, lots of people are still pretty much stuck at home, etc. I could see shipping estimates slipping a week or two after they drop.

Just order it whenever and it will arrive eventually. You could also order one and then once they're available at retail in a couple weeks you could always buy it at a store and cancel the order.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Not really, just pick one up at Costco or Best Buy on release day.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Even among the Apple hardcore there's not a huge amount of hype over a new Apple TV because it's not a Mac, iPhone or iPad. I'd be amazed if they were seriously struggling to produce them given the whole point is that it's made of old iPhone parts.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess the stand alone remotes will be in shorter supply than whole units but yeah it's not a super hype product, you might have to wait a week or two once they start shipping.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Protocol7 posted:

I can't even say how many times I've had to explain what an Apple TV is to a family member. They've never been that popular, and there's arguably less demand than ever with how ubiquitous smart TVs are now.

So I'd be quite surpised if they were hard to get at release... it's a completely different beast than the usual iPhone release hype.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's not going to be a rush on the 'barely any different to the old one' Apple TV, don't worry about it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also the Apple TV app is increasingly on those smart TV platforms now, and TV's support Airplay more and more as well. I got a new TV this week and I can just airplay to it, use the ATV app etc. But I'm still getting a 4K for the Arcade stuff, and because Roku TV is a pile of laggy rear end and also doesn't have a Twitch app.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There had better not be a rush on the new remote, I need one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’ll probably just go with the minimum size ATV again like my HD, I don’t think 32GB is very limiting.

Actually I should check mine to see what the space free is, I assume that is a menu option somewhere in settings?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Only reason I thought getting the new Apple TV would be hard is they said “ships second half of May,” which I read as “we may have manufacturing delays.” Which this year wouldn’t surprise me.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

njsykora posted:

Also the Apple TV app is increasingly on those smart TV platforms now, and TV's support Airplay more and more as well. I got a new TV this week and I can just airplay to it, use the ATV app etc. But I'm still getting a 4K for the Arcade stuff, and because Roku TV is a pile of laggy rear end and also doesn't have a Twitch app.

Yeah my parents just got a new Samsung smart tv last weekend and it’s got Apple Music, AppleTV+, and is Airplay2 compatible.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

withak posted:

There had better not be a rush on the new remote, I need one.

Yeah, I'm ordering a pair too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If I can't get one because you hogged two of them then we are going to have a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm one of the few people in the world who has absolutely no problems with the current AppleTV remote.