Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

from what i remember, which might be straight wrong, using ivs to dope generally does it in a way that the substance will be more quickly expelled from the body, meaning you are more likely to beat a test because it's in your system for less time. there's also no real evidence to suggest that iv's are particularly more effective at rehydration than oral suspension in order to combat dehydration. (there is evidence to suggest oral rehydration is better tho) it's definitely easier on the body/person than chugging a tonne of liquid, and you can use an iv while you sleep etc.

so using a method to dope that more quickly clears your system & knowing your cycles = able to take more fights at shorter notice. you'd only need to worry about random testing in that situation, but you could go wait under the octagon i guess
plus when you're on the juice, you recover quicker and that helps you take the fights too.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

IVs were banned because saline functioned effectively as a masking agent. The IV wasn't used to administer drugs, but it was used to not only rehydrate quickly but effectively cover up/fool tests into not seeing the drugs in your system.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Josuke Higashikata posted:

so using a method to dope that more quickly clears your system & knowing your cycles = able to take more fights at shorter notice.

I guess I never had any sense how 1) surefire it would for clearing your system and 2) how quickly it acted. I can't imagine the drugs that pulse pictograms would be much affected by it (acknowledging that no smart doper would be using that old tech)?
And if it is that good, I'm surprised not more than Bigg Rigg and Weidman have been called out for suffering with it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

wide man, bigg rigg and barao were all champions around the time it came into effect and also took big nose dives, barao's bigger than most. so they'd be at the highest level of scrutiny because they were highest profile at the time. no ones really as focused on mid card/prelim fighters so it's not going to cause as bigger hubbub when they go on a slide

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I’m not going to argue that the IV ban didn’t have a big impact in many instances, but in the case of Weidman specifically it seemed more likely to me that the awful beatdown that Rockhold put on him was the bigger culprit behind his sudden decline. I could always be misremembering though.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Weidman seems to make extremely poor decisions as his gas tank drains and being more sapped from the weight cut certainly contributes. Which then leads directly to the spinning kick that got his brains beat out by Rockhold...

Then the matchmakers threw him to the wolves with Yoel and Gegard right after that both scrambled his dehydrated brain even more. So I guess we can say it's a perfect storm of the IV ban, awful beatdowns, and the UFC's unforgiving matchmaking. The guy really could have used a soft touch fight after Rockhold.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I think Weidman's record has always been vulnerable to a bit of oversimplification. His initial rise was flattered by wins over some big names (most of them past their best, even if that wasn't known at the time) and his losses afterwards weren't necessarily due to poor performances on his part. The Rockhold fight was close until he threw a bone-head move. He was handling Romero better than anybody, until he got knocked out badly. That bad KO and the changes to how he was having to manage his weight, plus his age and mileage and willingness to take short notice fights probably all compromised his durability and in subsequent fights he just seemed to be working with fewer and fewer physical advantages.

So I think the lesson is that he probably was never as good as he seemed at his best, and also that his drop off was more gradual than it felt because of the hype he carried after blasting Anderson.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Weidman going 2-5 in his his last seven before freakishly breaking his leg vs Hall was already reason enough to say he should retire.

He has not looked good since he lost to Rockhold and it was a sudden and sharp decline.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Southpaugh posted:

Explain yourself.

per MMA Junkie

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/09/president-donald-trump-praises-jorge-masvidal-kamaru-usman-during-their-attendance-at-campaign-events

quote:

By Nolan King | September 25, 2020 9:15 pm

Colby Covington isn’t the only top UFC welterweight to attend one of President Donald Trump’s campaign events.

With Trump making several stops Friday, UFC welterweight champion Kamaru Usman and former title challenger Jorge Masvidal attended separate speeches given by the president.

Later in the day Friday, President Trump spoke at Cobb Galleria in Atlanta. The event, which revolved around the topic of “black economic empowerment,” lasted approximately 55 minutes. Usman and manager Ali Abdelaziz each got their own shoutouts from the president.

“Does anybody like UFC?” Trump asked the crowd, while standing at the podium. “I’ll tell you what. … Usman, I know who he is. He’s tough. That’s who he is. Kamaru Usman. Where is our champ? Come on, champ. Get up. Man, oh man, oh man. What a fighter you are. I don’t want to mess with him. I may weigh a couple of pounds more. Do you think I could take you in a fight, champ? I don’t think so. He goes, ‘No.’ I think you’re right, champ.

“I watched the fight you had a couple of months ago. (You’re) an unbelievable talent – and (smart), too. It’s a combination. The muscles are important but you’ve got to have the other. He actually looks really good in a suit but he’s one of the few people who look better without a suit. There aren’t too many of us. There aren’t too many of us that can say that. Right, men? The men in this audience, eh? I just want to thank you, champion. Good luck. I’ll be watching. You have a big fight coming up. I’ll be watching and it’s a great group of people. A great group of champions. Thank you very much. Thank you.”

He's not ever really explicitly said he was an out and out Trump supporter and conceivably could have been obligated to do a publicity appearance, but it seems less likely since he wasn't scheduled to do anything around September of 2020.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Hollandia posted:

What the hell kind of purple mutagen did Dana have next to him in the postfight presser? Looks like the goo from I think the power rangers movie?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Digital Jedi posted:

That isn't fair to Bobby Knuckles. His reasons why are valid on why he isn't taking the fight.

lol yeah, I was being sarcastic. Izzy obviously doesn't want to fight Rob again and Dana doesn't seem to love the idea either unless he thinks international travel is back on when both fighters will be ready in December for a rematch in Melbourne (it won't be because the Australian government forgot to buy vaccines).

edit: not saying Izzy is necessarily dodging Rob, I think he's just more interested in keeping his legacy at Middleweight and Rob is obviously the closest to his level.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 27, 2021

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Mekchu posted:

per MMA Junkie

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/09/president-donald-trump-praises-jorge-masvidal-kamaru-usman-during-their-attendance-at-campaign-events

He's not ever really explicitly said he was an out and out Trump supporter and conceivably could have been obligated to do a publicity appearance, but it seems less likely since he wasn't scheduled to do anything around September of 2020.

If I had the opportunity to sit and look at trump up close I'd totally take it. I kinda just had the impression that he wouldn't be a trump guy by any means.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Southpaugh posted:

If I had the opportunity to sit and look at trump up close I'd totally take it. I kinda just had the impression that he wouldn't be a trump guy by any means.

honestly who could turn down the story?

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Oh poo poo hahaha!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mekchu posted:

per MMA Junkie

Here's the most important part of that quote:

quote:

Usman and manager Ali Abdelaziz

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

crepeface posted:

lol yeah, I was being sarcastic. Izzy obviously doesn't want to fight Rob again and Dana doesn't seem to love the idea either unless he thinks international travel is back on when both fighters will be ready in December for a rematch in Melbourne (it won't be because the Australian government forgot to buy vaccines).

edit: not saying Izzy is necessarily dodging Rob, I think he's just more interested in keeping his legacy at Middleweight and Rob is obviously the closest to his level.

I feel like you've gone and invented stuff that Izzy has never said or implicated at all here? Like dodging the hardest people in his division is not something anyone could lay at Izzy's feet at any point and it's part of his appeal and saying it's not dodging but he does want to keep his legacy is basically just saying he's dodging in actuality

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Izzy isn't ducking Whittaker but he knows its better to fight him quick after a 5 round fight that went the distance. That's not even shameful, he's just smart.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

there is no evidence he knows better or anything of the sort though unless i'm missing something, all that's happened is that he's been booked to fight vettori and whittaker was offered the fight and declined, which would I believe mean that Izzy was asked if he wanted to fight Whittaker and said yes

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Rather than dodging, I think he (or Dana) isn't rushing to have the Rob fight again. Izzy already beat him, and it's probably the hardest fight so even if he beats him again, it's not the biggest deal for his reputation/career. Basically a Rob rematch is the greatest risk for the least gain. This is different from champs like Holloway, Volkanovski, Whittaker, Rose.

I suppose I'm just thinking out loud that Izzy seems to be a guy that's concerned with legacy, pay, etc and he makes smart calculated career moves. I don't blame him, but I want that Whittaker rematch next.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

If I have the timeline right Whittaker was asked after fighting Kelvin, Izzy gets the offer and says, "Yeah but we fight ASAP". So it puts Whittaker in the position to fight a guy that killed him with possible injuries along with having a short camp because of the pandemic.

Izzy either gets Vettori, who he has already beat or a diminished Whittaker. Being prize fighting, Izzy is very smart.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

They literally offered Rob the Izzy fight and Rob declined, if it's like most title fights with established champions they ask the champion if they'll do the match first before offering it. There's no evidence at all that Izzy cares about his reputation or career to the point where it affects the fights he chooses, other than that he always takes the hardest fights he can, that's literally the story of his MMA career. Is this some nonsense based off thinking Jan was a weak LHW champion or something? Because that wasn't what Izzy said in interviews or how CKB talked about it. I don't think it's fair to imply this "smart, calculated career moves" stuff about him given his history.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

prophetic thread title continues

https://twitter.com/chrisweidman/status/1387015274621280258

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

imagine how good his shin kicking will be if he keeps the titanium bar

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
There's no way I'd fight with a titanium bar in my leg. I have one in my femur and the doctor told me I should take it out after a few years because if the femur broke again it would basically shatter into a million pieces. I did not take his advice because I couldn't go through all of that again so I just decided for the rest of my life I would exercise extreme caution. Fighting someone who might be a dick and know where your bar is? No way.

mewse
May 2, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

There's no way I'd fight with a titanium bar in my leg. I have one in my femur and the doctor told me I should take it out after a few years because if the femur broke again it would basically shatter into a million pieces. I did not take his advice because I couldn't go through all of that again so I just decided for the rest of my life I would exercise extreme caution. Fighting someone who might be a dick and know where your bar is? No way.

Yeah.. my sister also has a bar on her femur. That's not a minor injury.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

1glitch0 posted:

Yeah that was definitely a joke. I've got a friend who has bars for his spine and he showed me an xray where one had broken because of exercise :stonk:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sorta related to the drug discussion a bit back, Colby says Usman was gassed at the end of round 1 and is on EPO.

I'd probably choose a different drug if I were accusing someone of gassing but also being on drugs.
Definitely not the one that lets cyclists win the tour de france.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ilmucche posted:

Yeah that was definitely a joke. I've got a friend who has bars for his spine and he showed me an xray where one had broken because of exercise :stonk:

Yeah I got you were joking. How bad was that for your friend??

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sorta related to the drug discussion a bit back, Colby says Usman was gassed at the end of round 1 and is on EPO.

I'd probably choose a different drug if I were accusing someone of gassing but also being on drugs.

It sounds like Colby was saying Usman was gassed at the end of rd1 but because of EPO he basically went the distance afterwards

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

I’m not 100% sure but from what I gather EPO doesn’t stop you getting gassed, but stops being gassed having as much of an effect.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

EPO will let you work harder/longer and recover from hard efforts better.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

ilmucche posted:

You're telling me WWF lied and Lex Luger's titanium forearm didn't make him hit harder?

Also didn't Rogan believe the metal RDA had put on his jaw after the break made him harder to knock out?

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I'm also part of the intra femoral nail club, but I had to have mine taken out after bone spurs started to form around it :sun:

The shin bone's connected to the... Uh...

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 27, 2021

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/combatsportsng/status/1387154600298520576?s=21

If they do a Africa card next year (granted all 3 champs still have titles) it's going to be massive

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

willie_dee posted:

I’m not 100% sure but from what I gather EPO doesn’t stop you getting gassed, but stops being gassed having as much of an effect.

What the gently caress could this possibly mean

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

DeimosRising posted:

With the current UFC patch, the "gassed" status effect confers the following debuffs

-5% strike speed
-10% strike power
-5% grapple transition speed

EPO reduces these debuffs by 1.5X

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Speaking of EPO

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1387206259104010246

The cut in TJs Instagram post is pretty gnarly. Right in his eyebrow

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Digital Jedi posted:

https://twitter.com/combatsportsng/status/1387154600298520576?s=21

If they do a Africa card next year (granted all 3 champs still have titles) it's going to be massive

Francis should have given Sokoudjou a spot in the parade. Even if he hasn’t really congratulated or really supported Ngannou on social media.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

DeimosRising posted:

You ever gassed mid sparring? Imagine feeling like that, but your strength and faculties aren’t as gone, just out of breath, which when you catch, you can then continue much easier without your limbs feeling like they weight 5000% as more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

LobsterMobster posted:

With the current UFC patch, the "gassed" status effect confers the following debuffs

-5% strike speed
-10% strike power
-5% grapple transition speed

EPO reduces these debuffs by 1.5X

This made my day. Thank you.