Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kano was funny though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

zoux posted:

No idea what the thought process behind that one was

Modern movie law requires a viewer insert character that is completely oblivious to the established IP to ensure broad appeal to non-fans.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you're adapting something and you have to invent a new main character, you're probably* approaching the material wrong.

*Kaufman exception

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

No idea what the thought process behind that one was

Studio mandate

https://twitter.com/doctorpurpleman/status/1383118411325177856

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Of course.

Also the giant masks for Sub Zero and Scorpion have never looked good in any live action MK ever and really lends to the whole Power Rangers aesthetic of the film.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

See? Must have audience character!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SimonChris posted:

Having finished Shadow and Bone, I think my main problem with the show is that they have combined plots from two different book series, and one is way more interesting than the other:

Plot A: Magic teenager from humble origins is the chosen one who must save the world.

Plot B: Ocean's Eleven in fantasy Amsterdam, featuring a diverse cast of lovable rogues with hearts of gold who carry the show on their shoulders (along with their emotional support goat).

It's no contest, really.

Plot A is still reasonably entertaining, as these things go, but I would have happily traded it away for more Gangs of Magic Amsterdam. I hope they do a proper Six of Crows season later.

The support cast ( and very Tropy prisoner love story with very loveable actors) are so drat good. Main chosen one has very good chemistry with both love interests which is nice, but the general being who he is does a lot of the heavy lifting with his acting too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The fight scene on the Nevers last night was loving awesome holy poo poo.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQqh6yZaRNI

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The best thing about Mortal Kombat was the gag about the leg sweep

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

The best thing about Mortal Kombat was the gag about the leg sweep

I very much enjoyed the whole thing but that was when I went from liking it to loving it. The easter eggs were a nice touch but that was something where you could tell that the writer had very fond memories of playing MK as a kid.

The whole thing reminded me of Pacific Rim in tone. It was dumb but it wasn’t stupid and was a B movie that had a ton of love for the stuff it was showing instead of just going for ironic mocking. The action was a ton of fun, too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I enjoyed the fatality stuff but the fight scenes felt really lacking to me. It's like Brett Ratner directing Jackie Chan action scenes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As I said in the BSS thread the fight scenes are all technically well executed but they lacked the fun that was needed for this film to work. No fight in the film was as fun to watch as Scorpion vs Johnny Cage in the first film. The film's biggest sin is having a lovely Shang Tsung though when he was the standout in the original. The new guy was super boring.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The fight structure was annoying as hell, even if the camera work wasn't so blinky. Really made the scenes with multiple fights going on at once a mess. Whole thing felt like a Netflix pilot or something. I had fun watching it. I'll probably forget it in a few days forever. The most satisfying part for me was "your soul is mine" because I had genuinely forgotten why I said it the way I did whenever I killed a bug or rodent. Dude must've said it in the original too.

I'm not sure what the ideal MK movie would be, if the original isn't it. Based on mediocre but endearing product of its time, I think what we've gotten for it has all been fine and in-line with that. I guess just better, less cutty action scenes and more fatalities? The tablesaw hat trick fatality was easily best fight moment of the movie

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I enjoyed watching it, but my main complaint is one that can be leveled at a lot of contemporary movies, spend less time setting up a drat franchise and more time on your own story.

I mean, for fucks sake,
they didn't actually even have the tournament, all they were doing was trying to not get murdered before the tournament. Which then never happened.

They have that big opening scene to setup subzero and scorpion's rivalry, but they held back a lot of why it happened presumably for future movies.

I thought for sure Cole's power was going to be absorbing hits and storing up kinetic energy to direct back at the opponent which would have had a good link to his fight style at the beginning, but then he spawns some sort of bladed tonfa so I guess it was armor with blades?

The greatest sin though, not getting Kevin Michael Richardson back to voice Goro.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

It was also pretty cool how Sonya gained the mark, then seemingly discovered and mastered her special power in about 5 minutes offscreen

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

C-Euro posted:

I'm only two episodes in but I'll cop to being way more into the lovable rogues than the chosen one + love interest (which is still fine tbh, but not as interesting as the rogues).

I'm 3 episodes in now and yes, this. It's all fine, but definitely very much one of these book series... and I really hope sunbender girl gets to have some agency soon. It looks pretty good for netflix too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I did not anticipate that this many people would watch a Mortal Kombat movie

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

gently caress else to watch.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

:same:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Dude, I know I said it last night, but The Nevers just had a loving awesome action scene, and you could a lot worse to watch it besides. It's really loving enjoyable.

And of course there's no loving video of it available online LOL.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Escobarbarian posted:

It's free on HBO Max and I'm betting there are a lot of 90s teenagers here that have nostalgia for the original. It's not too hard to understand.

Even pre-pandemic, I probably wouldn't have gotten around to seeing it in the theater and would have waiting for redbox or some other outlet. But the fact that it was just a click away with no extra cost meant that it got my eyeballs on release day.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GreenNight posted:

There's over 100 years of high-quality content at your fingertips.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

feedmyleg posted:

AND THERE IS NOTHING ON

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

I’ll watch it (big fan of series), but slightly disappointed about the change to Denise as the main character this season.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

feedmyleg posted:

How many have a guy with a razor hat though?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Dude, I know I said it last night, but The Nevers just had a loving awesome action scene, and you could a lot worse to watch it besides. It's really loving enjoyable.

And of course there's no loving video of it available online LOL.

The Nevers is pretty decent but still full of extremely cringey Whedon-esque dialogue. I hope the show gets the chance to become its own thing now that he got kicked off it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

X-O posted:

How many have a guy with a razor hat though?

Master of the Flying Guillotine totally counts, and is what every Mortal Kombat movie should strive to be. Hell, Dhalsim from Street Fighter was ripped off of it. I'm sure there's at least a couple other Shaw Bros. movies with razor hats or some approximation, and I can guarantee they're all more entertaining than Mortal Kombat :colbert:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 27, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Seen it!

https://twitter.com/KELLYWEILL/status/1387043698475552782

Lol this dude freakin owns, rest easy now king

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 27, 2021

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I mean, for fucks sake,
they didn't actually even have the tournament, all they were doing was trying to not get murdered before the tournament. Which then never happened.

I thought for sure Cole's power was going to be absorbing hits and storing up kinetic energy to direct back at the opponent which would have had a good link to his fight style at the beginning, but then he spawns some sort of bladed tonfa so I guess it was armor with blades?

X-O posted:

As I said in the BSS thread the fight scenes are all technically well executed but they lacked the fun that was needed for this film to work. No fight in the film was as fun to watch as Scorpion vs Johnny Cage in the first film. The film's biggest sin is having a lovely Shang Tsung though when he was the standout in the original. The new guy was super boring.

I freakin LOVED the original and even enjoyed the lovely lovely sequel but this one was just "ok" for me. Kano and Kabal were funny and highlights in the film. I really liked Jax, Kung Lao and Liu Kang, thought Sonya was decent but Shang Tsung and Raiden were mostly just there and Cole was... effin terrible. The actor, the character and the dialogue they had him do made me groan every time he was on screen. His power is soooooooo lame and his personality is that Hollywood mandate of "MAH FAMILY!!!" His family solely exist to be supportive but rescued and Cole isn't even portrayed as exceptionally skilled in any way and just got lucky by the power of his parentage as, again, typical Hollywood. The only good thing about him is, if a sequel is made, Shao Khan or someone just immediately lops his head off as his power is, again, incredibly lame with the most obvious weakness that nobody takes advantage of. Also his name Should have been Kole as <insert GOB> C'MON! They could have used Johnny Cage, still had a white American insert and lost NOTHING. Johnny Cage is a washed up has been/never was D list Van Damme and that could have been close enough to Cole minus the MAH FAMILY! Blatant producer meddling always annoys me as they very seldom add anything as it's always some rich boomer whose creativity begins and ends with powerpoint presentations, something from his childhood a thousand years ago or the whims of his spoiled kids/grandkids. I'm probably just bitter they wasted Hiroyuki Sanada but at least he got a payday.

Khanstant posted:

The fight structure was annoying as hell, even if the camera work wasn't so blinky. Really made the scenes with multiple fights going on at once a mess. Whole thing felt like a Netflix pilot or something. I had fun watching it. I'll probably forget it in a few days forever. The most satisfying part for me was "your soul is mine" because I had genuinely forgotten why I said it the way I did whenever I killed a bug or rodent. Dude must've said it in the original too.

This is going to make me sound like a super dork but "Your Soul is MINE!" in that old movie tone is something I still do as well. "You will engage in Mortal Kombat" and my random Christopher Lambert impressions were also spawned from the original movie. OG Shang Tsung was amazing.

I've watched worse but really any Shaw Brothers studios/HK/Jackie Chan film was better. The original MK didn't have the old school fighting but it still had some heart and was fun. This was just ok. I did laugh at some of the lines but really felt just kind of "meh" and something I'll forget about in a week. MK2 was really bad but at least I remember watching and mocking it a few times. Again the character of Cole actually made me enjoy the whole film less. He was this really bland anchor which is funny as I have liked Lewis Tan in other things and know he can do fighting on film.....just not with this script. So yeah... Lewis Tan is cool and no slight on him.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

The original movie has been getting the nostalgia based reputation rehab treatment for a few years now, I'm not surprised the audience was there to do another.

The fun part (because I'm sure not watching mortal kombat) is guessing what will be next! My money is on a Shrek revival.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DogsInSpace! posted:

They could have used Johnny Cage, still had a white American insert and lost NOTHING.

Having 2 extremely sarcastic white guys would have been way too much. I don't fault them for not using Cage at all.

Agreed with studio mandated Cole sucking though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DogsInSpace! posted:

MK2 was really bad but at least I remember watching and mocking it a few times.

I started college in 1997 and the OG MK movie became a staple in the dorms freshman year. We were pumped for Annihilation coming out in November of that year and drove 45 minutes to the good theater to watch it.

Holy poo poo what a disappointment. The trip to was jubilation, the trip back was uncomfortable silence.

IRQ posted:

My money is on a Shrek revival.

There are plans in the works for a shrek reboot or a 5th movie.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
We found a show on netflix called "Crazyhead". I normally skip over stuff with stupid names like that, but man I am glad I didn't. It's funny as gently caress. Im on like the third episode and still laughing my rear end off. Do I still have an rear end? I think it ran off.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Misfits is by the same creator, if you never saw that. The first two seasons at the very least are totally worth it

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I've watched the first 4 episodes of Rutherford Falls, and it feels like two different shows smashed together. The Ed Helms half is a show that I would probably already have dropped, but the other half is actually pretty good. I guess I'm wondering, for those who've seen more of it, does it ever figure itself out and get more cohesive/better?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's Debris is the most Fringe-y its ever been. The episode involved alternate realities which lead to a fun montage of Bryan with a succession of different partners and the person who found the debris of the week noping out every time he saw that Finola wasn't there.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

anyone know what’s up with that adaptation of Uzumaki. need that Colin Stetson soundtrack.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MechaSeinfeld posted:

anyone know what’s up with that adaptation of Uzumaki. need that Colin Stetson soundtrack.

Still being worked on, supposedly this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Lmao. I had no idea who Colin Stetson was but I immediately thought "I hope that's who did Hereditary since that would be perfect"