Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah your write ups are great! We are reading them avidly but the clean room level spoiler protocols mean we can't go ".. ha, wait until you see X!" so just assume we are all muttering it under our breaths gleefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mr. Mordin is the subject of the sentence. And what the predicate says, he does.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Mr. Morton provides salts and spices for the Zorlons.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Mr. Norton goes BANG straight to the moon

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

sebmojo posted:

Yeah your write ups are great! We are reading them avidly but the clean room level spoiler protocols mean we can't go ".. ha, wait until you see X!" so just assume we are all muttering it under our breaths gleefully.

:same:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet I'll still write them then :)

S02e01

Well that escalated quickly. I was a little confused at first as to why the mumbaris all of a sudden wanted war but then I paid attention and realizdd it was a outcast group.

I don't think I buy the "mumbaris souls turn into humans" things either new commander. I like the new commander though, although Sinclair was probably my favorite character because he conveyed so much dread and anxiety...which is even more sad when you realize he likely wasn't acting. 😫

I know the show only gets better from here so I'm excited.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Empress Brosephine posted:

I know the show only gets better from here so I'm excited.

This I will openly confirm.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I do love the mumbaree/zorlon alliance that was negotiated by mr marden

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
S02e02

wow this seemed like a jump in quality over the previous season.

I had a feeling the new president was behind the assassination, glad that was confirmed mostly. I'm guessing it's uh human supremesists? Was it the pilot that featured that as a plot point? I don't remember. But it may easily be the psy-core which is also a pretty awesome way of taking the story.

A little disappointed with Delenns transformation, but I guess it makes sense for them to evolve I to humans, I guess?

It feels like things are at a breaking point with gkars race and londos. Which is cool.

I hope it keeps this pace!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Re: 2x02

Human supremacists featured throughout S1 - The War Prayer, for example.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry, took a break.

S02E03

hey new alien races!

I don't know my space ranks, what rank would Ivanova be promoted to?

I also had a really random thought watching this episode...Lorelei Gilmore speaks/delivers her lines almost exactly like Ivanova. Wonder if that was on purpose. Or maybe it's just a late 90s style of delivery.

Lando is still the best character lol.

One thing I love about this show is that for the most part, the alien creatures live by their own rules and aren't just humans in makeup, if that makes sense. Like if this was any other show, Londo bugging the captains office would be like a huge change of character I guess? But in this it's just exactly what you expect his race/character to do. I love it. Except for the drazi calling each other purple and green. I'd think they'd have some kind of specific word for them.

This was probably my least favorite episode so far though. The magicians was kinda lame and the greens vs purple subplot seemed a bit too obvious and the resolution was stupid. I think the magic parts of this show are what I hate the most between technomancers and psychics. Hopefully they get less cheesy throughout the show.

What was the reaction to this episode back in the day

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Earthforce rank structure is kind of a mess, etc. but in general, from what we see on screen:

General > Colonel > Captain > Commander > Lieutenant Commander > Major > Lieutenant

And the security officers are all NCO's up to Garibaldi who is a Warrant Officer with some Sergeants underneath him.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

IIRC the rank system was supposed to track the US Navy's ranks, but clearly it missed. It's best not to think too hard about it.

S02E03

What was the reaction to this episode back in the day

If we'd known the word "meme" back then, we'd definitely have used that to describe what the green/purple split became.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

IIRC the rank system was supposed to track the US Navy's ranks, but clearly it missed. It's best not to think too hard about it.

JMS has said it mixed ranks because Earthforce is an entirely new service made up of components of old militaries. I dunno if he said that after the fact or at the time.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Sorry, took a break.

S02E03

drazi calling each other purple and green. I'd think they'd have some kind of specific word for them.

Maybe not? By their own admission the entire thing is meant to be arbitrary and devoid of any deeper meaning. There's no class, nation or race division involved - - just the color you randomly pulled from a box

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RedSnapper posted:

Maybe not? By their own admission the entire thing is meant to be arbitrary and devoid of any deeper meaning. There's no class, nation or race division involved - - just the color you randomly pulled from a box

True, but it might have been better if (2X03) they had been using alien words for them, and only when asked what made you one or the other do we find out that they're just the Drazi words for the colours.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

RedSnapper posted:

Which is the not at all subtle point. Do you think what side of an invisible line you're born on is any less arbitrary a way to determine friends and enemies?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

Earthforce rank structure is kind of a mess, etc. but in general, from what we see on screen:

General > Colonel > Captain > Commander > Lieutenant Commander > Major > Lieutenant

And the security officers are all NCO's up to Garibaldi who is a Warrant Officer with some Sergeants underneath him.

Major as the second most junior officer rank is pretty lol

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's not that far off if there are two grades of lieutenants.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

feedmegin posted:

LC and Major are both OF3 in the standardised NATO rank scale, it's not an unreasonable ordering

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

feedmegin posted:

There are more junior ranks, especially if you go wiki and dumb novel diving, but other than the throwaway scene (that is just an excuse showing a for crew social occasion) where a crew member is promoted from Lieutenant Junior Grade to full Lieutenant, we just never see the bottom end of earthforce's command structure on the show, so I didn't bother to include it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 16, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

^^ Minor spoiler but remember which thread this is

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I ran into a first time watcher reacting on YouTube. She's Welsh and has gotten as far as The Coming of Shadows, and puts new episodes out every Wednesday or so. I've found her commentary amusing, and maybe you will too. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muDysUDm968 starting with The Gathering.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

jng2058 posted:

She's Welsh

She really isn't

[edit]
Although her videos are fun to watch (even if I kind of dislike 'reaction' videos on principle

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 11, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kingturnip posted:

She really isn't

[edit]
Although her videos are fun to watch (even if I kind of dislike 'reaction' videos on principle

Yah I think that is a brummie accent on a quick listen, or maybe manchester

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

kingturnip posted:

She really isn't

[edit]

I mean the address she has for people to send fan mail and the like to her is in Wales so..... :shrug:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

sebmojo posted:

Yah I think that is a brummie accent on a quick listen, or maybe manchester

She’s got a Geordie accent, which is Newcastle.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The_Doctor posted:

you probs know better than I. Def not welsh though, that's more singsongy.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Excuse me sir, but this is the Babylon 5 thread, not the Star Trek thread.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

kingturnip posted:

She really isn't

[edit]

I've developed a taste for them. They're the parasocial equivalent of watching one of your favorites with a friend who hasn't seen it yet. And I will never get tired of watching Alien and Aliens with someone who hasn't seen them before.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm not against reaction videos, and in lieu of our regular blind watchers doing any posting it'd be fine.

I just can't understand her.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

jng2058 posted:

I mean the address she has for people to send fan mail and the like to her is in Wales so..... :shrug:

I live on the East Coast of the US but my accent is midwestern.

People can move :ssh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ZRM posted:

Excuse me sir, but this is the Babylon 5 thread, not the Star Trek thread.

??

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

:techno:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

I live on the East Coast of the US but my accent is midwestern.

People can move :ssh:

Obviously. But at what point does someone adopt the designation of his or her new home instead of the one he or she is born in? If I was born in Chicago and move to Dallas, when can I start calling myself a Texan? A year? Four years? Ten years? When I have a Texan accent from assimilation? Never? And if the answer is anything besides "never", why can't someone apparently born and raised in Newcastle be considered Welsh if she's lived there a long time?

But whatever, this isn't a hill I care to die on. I'm willing to concede that "Welsh" may have greater significance somehow than "Chicagoan", "Texan", or "American".

Ahem.

I ran into a first time watcher reacting on YouTube. She's Welsh a British person living in Wales and has gotten as far as The Coming of Shadows, and puts new episodes out every Wednesday or so. I've found her commentary amusing, and maybe you will too. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muDysUDm968 starting with The Gathering.

Cool? Cool.

Anyway, vis a vis her commentary itself...

CainFortea posted:

I'm not against reaction videos, and in lieu of our regular blind watchers doing any posting it'd be fine.

I just can't understand her.

Maybe try the CC. They seem to be mostly correct.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I dislike watching anything with closed captioning because I end up just reading instead of watching.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

Geordie La Forge from TNG.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

jng2058 posted:

Obviously. But at what point does someone adopt the designation of his or her new home instead of the one he or she is born in? If I was born in Chicago and move to Dallas, when can I start calling myself a Texan? A year? Four years? Ten years? When I have a Texan accent from assimilation? Never? And if the answer is anything besides "never", why can't someone apparently born and raised in Newcastle be considered Welsh if she's lived there a long time?
If a cat has kittens in the oven, you don't call 'em biscuits.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Slamhound posted:

If a cat has kittens in the oven, you don't call 'em biscuits.

You call them ducklings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Alhazred posted:

You call them ducklings.

If my cat had kittens in an oven, you can bet money I would name of one them. 'biscuit.'
(BTW, I hope that was a Babylon5 joke)

E: very old edit to remove something I thought I was posting in a different thread.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 14, 2021