Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
How does the Surefeed compare to the Portion Pro RX?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DarkHorse posted:

From when I looked at Portion Pro it sounds like it used tags with irreplaceable batteries that don't even last a year

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

If it helps any my poo-tracking ap for the litter robot tells me my cats only poo poo twice a day on average so the data supports them being able to travel without needing a litterbox in the car. :v:

And yeah it does depend on the cat. Sam only needed to be tranq'd on the first day of each trip, he got the window seat and just watched the world go by without any issues. Max was a nervous wreck who would meow until her voice went out and then croak the rest of the way- even ON drugs. She just hates hates hates the car.

Tip I learned more recently (from people who handle ferals) is to cover the carrier door with a towel if they're very stressed since cats will stay calm if they can't see anything new or scary.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

mistaya posted:

Tip I learned more recently (from people who handle ferals) is to cover the carrier door with a towel if they're very stressed since cats will stay calm if they can't see anything new or scary.

That was the case when I was doing TNR. When the trap closed they'd be freaking out and bouncing off the walls of the cage, but once I covered the whole thing with a towel they'd stop.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

That sounds like a good tip for certain cats. The foster people we got Gaia from recommended that for the 1 hour drive home, so we draped a blanket over. Gaia took it off, because she wanted to see us while she yelled the whole way home.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bobstar posted:

That sounds like a good tip for certain cats. The foster people we got Gaia from recommended that for the 1 hour drive home, so we draped a blanket over. Gaia took it off, because she wanted to see us while she yelled the whole way home.

She wasn't yelling she was telling your her life story. Just a great firm bonding moment

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

DarkHorse posted:

We went with portion pro because it's an auto feeder in addition to access control. The post below yours that didn't like the irreplaceable battery tags is super valid and was my major hesitation.

After our tag batteries died I dremeled through the plastic casing to find a normal watch battery which I just replaced. To close it back up again I just used duck tape and made sure it was sealed on all sides and tight. For another i also used super glue and a clamp. That was more work but looked nicer. My cats get to look like derps though with brightly colored duck tape on their tags.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Oh, I'd never heard of all-females being a problem. She's gotten a bit better with one of the cats, but still aches to do violence against the other two. Thanks for the encouragement, the other cats have been such a breeze that I think we got spoiled by them.

Imagine having two pairs of nice, generally well-behaved cats. Then, introduce them to each other. Now, imagine four drama queens (cat)fighting it out on Jerry Springer. Yeah, it was ....rough for a while.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I thought maybe my blessed, precious arsehole James might not scream at me for early dinner if I gave him his food ball to play with all day, after his breakfast. I put one breakfastscoop's worth of food in there.

Well, it worked the day before yesterday. Then yesterday and today he was back to normal. And looking at the ball, he's managed to get nearly all the food out of it! Now the greedy bugger's about to get dinner, so he'll have had 150% his normal amount of food.

I think maybe I should try giving him the ball instead of breakfast...

There's also the factor that, a while ago my vet said he was a bit overweight and to reduce his diet. He was 5kg at the time, and didn't yell at me for early dinner. These days he's 4kg, and does yell at me. So... maybe he's just actually really hungry and I'm a bad Cat Dad? :ohdear:

He also used to be much more lovey-dovey with his brother Wolfgang, but not nearly so much these days.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Second post, same as the first

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 21, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

And again!

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 21, 2021

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Your cat accidentally submitted your post three times

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

BabyFur Denny posted:

Your cat accidentally submitted your post three times

Whoops. That would be when I hit post and CloudFlare told me the SA forums were unreachable.

So, since the post clearly didn't go through, rather than type that all out again later, I hit refresh and when it asked if I was sure I wanted to submit the form data again I clicked "yes". And it still didn't work, so I tried one more time and it did...

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Hyperlynx posted:

I thought maybe my blessed, precious arsehole James might not scream at me for early dinner if I gave him his food ball to play with all day, after his breakfast. I put one breakfastscoop's worth of food in there.

Well, it worked the day before yesterday. Then yesterday and today he was back to normal. And looking at the ball, he's managed to get nearly all the food out of it! Now the greedy bugger's about to get dinner, so he'll have had 150% his normal amount of food.

I think maybe I should try giving him the ball instead of breakfast...

There's also the factor that, a while ago my vet said he was a bit overweight and to reduce his diet. He was 5kg at the time, and didn't yell at me for early dinner. These days he's 4kg, and does yell at me. So... maybe he's just actually really hungry and I'm a bad Cat Dad? :ohdear:

He also used to be much more lovey-dovey with his brother Wolfgang, but not nearly so much these days.

Just like humans, it takes a while for the body to be happy at a new and lighter weight. You've fed him the calories his current weight needs, but his mind is all OH NO WE MUST GAIN BACK THAT 1KG WE MUST BE IN A FAMINE until it realizes it's OK.

Definitely try the ball instead of breakfast. Our cat loved it for a while, but then she realized she could trap it in a corner, spin it until all the food fell out, and then gobble it up. Totally defeating the point for us since she's a scarf & barfer.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

My cat was his normal self last night. I woke up this morning and he saw me and immediately went into terrified hissing and hiding mode for a minute, followed by attacking. I’ve had cats my whole life and never had this happen before. And it wasn’t “grrr stop petting me” cat slaps, he was howling and following me genuinely trying to hurt me. It was scary and I was backed into a corner desperately putting clothes on and had to leave the house to get away. I came back 4 hours later and now he is being normal as if nothing happened. I don’t know what to do.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Sounds like aggression transference, which may hopefully be only temporary. If it persists though you may need to see a vet to make sure he's not hurting from an injury or illness he's otherwise concealing.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I feed my cat a mix of wet and dry food (he’s maine coon sized and idk if I can afford all wet...) and just put the dry food in a food ball. I figure it slows him down a little and gives him something to do.

I’ve noticed several pantry moths on my walls and I just need to figure out if it’s the dry food or his cat litter. 😤

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Spikes32 posted:

We went with portion pro because it's an auto feeder in addition to access control. The post below yours that didn't like the irreplaceable battery tags is super valid and was my major hesitation.

After our tag batteries died I dremeled through the plastic casing to find a normal watch battery which I just replaced. To close it back up again I just used duck tape and made sure it was sealed on all sides and tight. For another i also used super glue and a clamp. That was more work but looked nicer. My cats get to look like derps though with brightly colored duck tape on their tags.

This is really good to know.

And yeah I was interested in portion control because one of our three is a scarf and barfer and another is just a glutton. It'd be nice to have it individualized for each

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
We used to put Katya's lunch in a feeding ball back when we would leave the house for work, figuring it would slow her down a little.
Now that we have two cats we each give their own but quickly found that the impatient kitten will stalk her big sister and swoop in to steal her kibble. Fortunately there's a pandemic on and we're home where we can monitor the situation but I hope the little one mellows out after getting used to her post-sterilisation diet.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

effika posted:

Just like humans, it takes a while for the body to be happy at a new and lighter weight. You've fed him the calories his current weight needs, but his mind is all OH NO WE MUST GAIN BACK THAT 1KG WE MUST BE IN A FAMINE until it realizes it's OK.

Definitely try the ball instead of breakfast. Our cat loved it for a while, but then she realized she could trap it in a corner, spin it until all the food fell out, and then gobble it up. Totally defeating the point for us since she's a scarf & barfer.

He's been on that amount of food for ages, and possibly weight but I wasn't keeping track.

No, I think I've hosed up here. The kitty was perfectly happy at 5kg, and the vet said that was a little heavy but ok. Poor boy :(

I'm going to start feeding him at what the instructions say is 5kg of kitty:

The dry food says 4kg: 50-65g, 5kg: 65-85g, 6kg: 85-100g, so I'm going to interpret that as actually 65g/day for a 5 kg cat. I measured the mass of two scoops of food, that I put in the ball, and it was 40g on the dot.

So, that means 25g more dry food equivalent for a full kitty. 25/65 ≈ 38.46%

The wet food says ¾ can a day for a 5kg cat, and the can is 400g, so 300g.

0.3846 x 300 = 115.38g. Call it 100g.

So, if I haven't mathsed wrong, that's two scoops of dry food for breakfast and 100g wet food food dinner. The poor bugger was on 1 scoop and 80g, respectively.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

And right on time, at 16:27, he's started demanding early dinner again :shepface:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Took Jackie to the vet yesterday for the first time in about a year - it actually went quite well, which was a bit of a relief. When you've got a 14.5-year-old cat who has improbably never had anything worse than an ear infection (in spite of ranging from overweight to morbidly obese at various times in her life) you worry about the other shoe dropping.

That said, all she had was another minor ear infection, which isn't exactly a surprise. I knew something was bothering her ear, frankly I'm a bit relieved it wasn't ear-mites. Something else that was a bit of a surprise? The vet weighed her at 12.19 pounds, which is probably the lightest Jackie has been in about 10 years. I knew she had lost weight and been healthier since we moved to CO (I can actually see her hips now) but that's still a pretty positive shock for me.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 24, 2021

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
My cat is officially on a hunger strike against her canned food. She has refused to eat anything but nibbles for days. Shes still begging for food, and still mugs the treat container (no treats), but she wont eat any daily cat food. I have tried older foods shes liked and shes aint budging. Does anyone have any tricks beyond sardine oil to get a cat interested in a new food?

Gaj fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 25, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Will she eat dry food? Sometimes even the cheap stuff is really attractive to eat much like how McDonald's is to people

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

DarkHorse posted:

Will she eat dry food? Sometimes even the cheap stuff is really attractive to eat much like how McDonald's is to people

Can confirm, my guys reject treats but think that Fancy Feast dry is the greatest gift ever given to catkind and go wild over it. I don't get it, but at least it's not as expensive.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
My back up dry food lasted one meal, last nights dinner. For breakfast she was offered both wet and dry food, hasnt touched either. She is still begging for my dumplings though.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Gaj posted:

My cat is officially on a hunger strike against her canned food. She has refused to eat anything but nibbles for days. Shes still begging for food, and still mugs the treat container (no treats), but she wont eat any daily cat food. I have tried older foods shes liked and shes aint budging. Does anyone have any tricks beyond sardine oil to get a cat interested in a new food?

My cat used to do this and I thought he was just picky as hell (he'd yell for food, then sniff and reject, then hours later grudgingly go eat some) but it turned out it was whisker fatigue. He already had a low-sides bowl, but it had straight sides, so I guess it was still bothering him. I got him this: https://www.chewy.com/dr-catsbys-whisker-relief-non-skid/dp/165467 and he's much happier.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

My cat was his normal self last night. I woke up this morning and he saw me and immediately went into terrified hissing and hiding mode for a minute, followed by attacking. I’ve had cats my whole life and never had this happen before. And it wasn’t “grrr stop petting me” cat slaps, he was howling and following me genuinely trying to hurt me. It was scary and I was backed into a corner desperately putting clothes on and had to leave the house to get away. I came back 4 hours later and now he is being normal as if nothing happened. I don’t know what to do.

He did it again 2 days after this post, and didn’t calm down until I brought him to a 24 hour place and they said he was physically okay but gave him a pain medicine that made him groggy and calm for the night. Yesterday morning he went back to being violent and I took him to the regular vet. Again they said he was physically ok as far as they could examine. I didn’t have thousands of dollars to run MRI scans or boarding him for cat therapy, and there’s nowhere to surrender to for violent behavior. We had to put him down and I held him while they did it. I loved him so much. He was my everything.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 25, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
So sorry to hear that, you clearly did what you could.

If you want, I'd love to hear some of your favorite memories of him. He sounds like he was a cool little dude :unsmith:

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

drunken officeparty posted:

He did it again 2 days after this post, and didn’t calm down until I brought him to a 24 hour place and they said he was physically okay but gave him a pain medicine that made him groggy and calm for the night. Yesterday morning he went back to being violent and I took him to the regular vet. Again they said he was physically ok as far as they could examine. I didn’t have thousands of dollars to run MRI scans or boarding him for cat therapy, and there’s nowhere to surrender to for violent behavior. We had to put him down and I held him while they did it. I loved him so much. He was my everything.

:glomp: so sorry for your loss.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Cat was really lethargic last Wednesday and wasn't eating. Took him in Thursday morning and they diagnosed him with a fever with an unknown cause. His energy levels are back to normal and he started eating more on Saturday but not as much. He's never been much of a water drinker and I'd have to put water in his food to make him drink water.

Now, he just went to the litter box 3 times in 10 minutes and I didn't see any urine. FML. I gave him some dry food + water and he drank the water so I'm hoping it'll make a difference.

Geno fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 26, 2021

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Geno posted:

Cat was really lethargic last Wednesday and wasn't eating. Took him in Thursday morning and they diagnosed him with a fever with an unknown cause. His energy levels are back to normal and he started eating more on Saturday but not as much. He's never been much of a water drinker and I'd have to put water in his food to make him drink water.

Now, he just went to the litter box 3 times in 10 minutes and I didn't see any urine. FML. I gave him some dry food + water and he drank the water so I'm hoping it'll make a difference.

If he's trying to pee and can't there might be a blockage. I'd take him back in.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Dienes posted:

If he's trying to pee and can't there might be a blockage. I'd take him back in.

Yeah, he had a blockage back in 2014 so I started putting water in his dry/wet food and it hasn't happened since.

But since he was sick from Wednesday-Saturday and didn't eat/drink much during that time probably caused it.

e: she started peeing, yay

Geno fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 27, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I posted a new thread about this, but no one replied so I'll post it here in case people just have threads bookmarked and don't notice new threads.

I live in a city, and my current apartment faces into a courtyard with almost no life in it, so my cats are bored as poo poo. Yes, I do play with them. I want to get a cat backpack to take them outside except:

1) The large, neurotic one will freak the gently caress out at the idea of being separated. I don't need a giant terror deuce on my rug, so I need something that will carry both.
2) The large one is, in fact, a big boy. Not fat, just large.
3) The other one is an obeast; she figured out how to self-vend the feeder I had a few years ago, and hasn't lost the weight. I can't feed them separately because see #1.

Unfortunately, it seems like cat backpacks max out at like 25 pounds, and combined they're probably 30-35. I'm not sure how comfortable they'd be in the same bag at the same time either. I've considered harnesses, but the big one would spend the whole time crying and wanting to go home, while the fat one would zip out the door to explore EVERYTHING, so that's not ideal. She would probably find a way to wriggle out of it too. It's just me right now so I can't share the load. I can carry them separately like I would with cat carriers for the vet, but I don't want them to think that I'm taking them to the vet, and that will probably get a little tiring to do. Should I just get two mesh bags and carry one in each hand? Create a custom cat wagon to use as their mobile oppression palace? Play bloodsports on TV? Any advice appreciated!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
What about a pet stroller? :)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I was not aware that those existed, that might be exactly the solution! Thanks!

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
I didn’t see much in the OP about choosing a litterbox. My gf and I are adopting a 2-ish year old shelter cat who is already used to pellets. We’re thinking about getting the Purina Breeze hooded cat system thing. Can anyone chime in - deadly mistake, good call, helpful suggestions? We’d like to make it a LITTLE more environmentally friendly, maybe with pine pellets instead of their space age plastic ones, maybe replace the plastic pads with cloth ones... etc.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Why not just take out the cat that enjoys exploring and not the cat who is scared of exploring? What makes you think the scaredy cat is bored or understimulated? Cats generally prefer being in their nice safe territory.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Organza Quiz posted:

Why not just take out the cat that enjoys exploring and not the cat who is scared of exploring? What makes you think the scaredy cat is bored or understimulated? Cats generally prefer being in their nice safe territory.

See the "I don't want a panic attack turd" counter argument. It's not that he's a scaredy cat, he's a neurotic mess that freaks out at being separated. I would love to just take them separately on their own terms, but this probably won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Cretin90 posted:

I didn’t see much in the OP about choosing a litterbox. My gf and I are adopting a 2-ish year old shelter cat who is already used to pellets. We’re thinking about getting the Purina Breeze hooded cat system thing. Can anyone chime in - deadly mistake, good call, helpful suggestions? We’d like to make it a LITTLE more environmentally friendly, maybe with pine pellets instead of their space age plastic ones, maybe replace the plastic pads with cloth ones... etc.

There's lots of love for the Litter Robot in here but I don't know if that's what you're asking. It's more for reducing the load of constant litter box cleaning and doesn't really work with most pellets. Most other litter box methods besides scoopin' poop haven't been worth the effort in my experience, it mostly just seemed like scooping with extra steps.

The litter robot is $500 and it's a testament to its quality that it's so highly recommended at that price even so.

If you're asking more about litter, I'm a big fan of World's Best Cat Litter - it's wheat based so it still clumps but it's probably better than bentonite clay versions and it doesn't seem as dusty to me.

Speaking of, my dumb youngest cat has decided she doesn't like litter boxes and is pooping right next to them so I'm getting the ramp and hope that's her issue and not that she hates the feel of the litter itself :argh: