Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

zzonkmiles posted:

It means you failed your Oral Assessment and your candidacy is finished. Condolences. Better luck next year.

Really?
I know I didn't do that well on it, but is it really that obvious from the score?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Really?
I know I didn't do that well on it, but is it really that obvious from the score?

Yes, you would have received a conditional job offer at the end of the OA if you had made it. Sorry, that sucks.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Xelkelvos posted:

Really?

It's obvious from the score only because 5.25 is the threshold. Below that mean that your candidacy for this application is now finished. I believe they may have provided a score breakdown of the various components, but they don't offer specific feedback as to why you got the score you did.

It's hard to pass the OA. I don't have hard numbers and haven't paid attention since I passed a decade ago, but it was pretty common for the majority of OA takers to not pass it. I personally don't like using the term "fail" for the OA. If you make it to the OA, you've done well and demonstrated that you are FS material. If you don't clear the threshold, it sucks, but it doesn't me you suck. It's VERY common for people to take the OA multiple times.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nutrimentia posted:

It's obvious from the score only because 5.25 is the threshold. Below that mean that your candidacy for this application is now finished. I believe they may have provided a score breakdown of the various components, but they don't offer specific feedback as to why you got the score you did.

They didn't provide a breakdown which is why I'm confused as to how someone immediate figured it was the oral portion that I failed at.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

They didn't provide a breakdown which is why I'm confused as to how someone immediate figured it was the oral portion that I failed at.

Because the minimum cutoff for the written test is like 150 or 160 or something and the cutoff for the oral is 5.25 and there aren't any other tests.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Xelkelvos posted:

I think a couple different concepts are being conflated here.

The overall application process is linear. The written test comes before the personal narratives, which come before the oral assessment. Since you referenced the 5.25 threshold, that's referring to the oral assessment portion (the other portions are graded on different scales). Within the oral assessment, there were (back when I took the exam/wrote the OP) three sections: the group exercise (GE) section, the case management (CM) section, and the structured interview (SI) section. You need to get a combined average score of 5.25 across all three to pass the oral assessment (realistically this meant you needed a 5.3 minimum). Since you said you scored a 5, it's just a tautology that you failed the oral. I don't think anyone has specifically implied anything about which section you failed, but it seems like you're reading it as someone suggested it was the SI.

But the original answer still stands -- a fail there is the end of your candidacy on that attempt. Try again next year. Most people don't make it their first try. A pass would have had you moving on to clearances and the register, and hopefully eventually a conditional offer.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
A former supervisor is going to my top post - well top 3 in the world and he'd be the person recommending any IT spots to the bureau. We just did the love to work with each other again/stay in touch talk.

Hell yeah

Also I know the CS bureau rep who concurs/pushes stuff from the DC side really well and meet up every few weeks to talk shop.

Hell yeah

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Very short vacancy announcement for DS Special Agent positions. Happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

https://careers.state.gov/work/fore...4bwtU7BSjhXkWz0

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Yup, like Leif. said, the score we are discussing is based entirely on the Oral Assessment. This score is a comprehensive score for the day, so it isn't clear which component was a strength/ weakness for you. That doesn't really matter, because it isn't a case of, for example, "passing" the written but "failing" the group exercise. It's just one big cohesive assessment. It's discouraging, but most people don't even get that far, so hopefully you can still find some satisfaction in an Olympic Silver medal of sorts. Keep competing; the Gold is within reach.

TCD, that's pretty cool news. It's nice to see when a network works in favor of our friends too. :)

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hurrah, we have funding - no shutdown today.

I am so exhausted by this entire charade of funding showdowns every year.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

the_chavi posted:

Hurrah, we have funding - no shutdown today.

I am so exhausted by this entire charade of funding showdowns every year.

Looks like we won't have to worry about anymore shutdowns for the next two years.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

zzonkmiles posted:

Looks like we won't have to worry about anymore shutdowns for the next two years.

May I introduce you to the problem of the "deficit".

Ordeith
Oct 26, 2002

If I troll again, I will eat Hello Kitty's brains with a spork

the_chavi posted:

Seriously, I have to imagine you could make a ton of money as an off-the-books shrink for most of State these days. Slightly to exceptionally unethical, but hey!

Hey, been ages since Ankara. And yeah I'd agree - lots of State are in super stressed situations now, and I feel for colleagues at USUN in NYC given what's happening in the city too.

Just wanted to pop in and wish you all the best - State Department folks have a lot to be proud of.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Real winners all around.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/26/diplomat-online-activity-blood-and-faith-471755

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
I imagine that guy will be walking the halls of HST for as long as the department lets him stay. Can’t envision any office or post being willing to offer him a job.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Does anyone have any experience with bugs on the USAJOBS website while logged in? I can find postings just fine while browsing, but if I log in it tries to apply tons of filters at once and grabs nothing. If I deactivate all the filters it will then reactivate a filter or two anyway and refuse to find anything. If I open a posting in another window while logged out, it logs me in, but hangs whenever I try to save and continue through the resume section. It's pretty frustrating to not be able to apply to anything now.

Update: I've only gotten an automated response from the help desk but the problem only happens when using my macbook. My Android phone, using the same browsers and profiles settings, is able to proceed as normal. How strange.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 4, 2021

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Chrome and Explorer sometimes provide a better experience than other browsers on U.S. government websites.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Check out today's cables from Ankara - one of my subordinates got a Queen joke into a cable title. I'm so proud I could burst.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

the_chavi posted:

Check out today's cables from Ankara - one of my subordinates got a Queen joke into a cable title. I'm so proud I could burst.

Didn't get it in my phone, I'll have to check in the morning.

Meanwhile EERs continue to suck. I PCS in 2 days and don't have a reviewer statement yet. Despite being told 6 weeks ago that it was a :airquote:priority:airquote: because I'm leaving soon.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Never leave post with an unfinished EER.

Natural Ice
Mar 22, 2007
SPF 15

Business of Ferrets posted:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Must be a monkey fist out there with a curled fingat.

Lucky me, my pre travel Covid test popped hot so I'm stuck at post for another week, which will give me time to finish this EER.

The family's been without me on SMA for 6 months already, what's another week, right?

gently caress my life.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tyro posted:

Must be a monkey fist out there with a curled fingat.

Lucky me, my pre travel Covid test popped hot so I'm stuck at post for another week, which will give me time to finish this EER.

The family's been without me on SMA for 6 months already, what's another week, right?

gently caress my life.

Jesus, I am so sorry. Get well soon, and feel free to remind your boss "JFC I have Covid!" if s/he's still being a poo poo about your EER.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

the_chavi posted:

Jesus, I am so sorry. Get well soon, and feel free to remind your boss "JFC I have Covid!" if s/he's still being a poo poo about your EER.

Well all's well that ends well I suppose, I'm back in the US, my EER was rammed through and described as "very strong" by the SFS chair panel, and my boss put me in for a MHA.

Now preparing to get eviscerated by the housing and vehicle market and wait who knows how long for my UAB, HHE, and POV. :shepface:

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tyro posted:

Well all's well that ends well I suppose, I'm back in the US, my EER was rammed through and described as "very strong" by the SFS chair panel, and my boss put me in for a MHA.

Now preparing to get eviscerated by the housing and vehicle market and wait who knows how long for my UAB, HHE, and POV. :shepface:

Congrats! Glad you survived it all, prepare for reintegration and financial ruin!

cramerthegr8
Feb 22, 2013
So I recently accepted A-100 training (July) and I'm looking through the healthcare plans. I'm currently deciding between Blue Cross Blue Shield and the Foreign Service Benefits Plan. Any advice on which to choose? I'm leaning right now towards FSBP.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Congratulations!

Those two are both very popular, almost everyone I've discussed insurance with has one or the other, and you probably won't go wrong either way.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

the_chavi posted:

Congrats! Glad you survived it all, prepare for reintegration and financial ruin!

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Holy crap.

I assumed you were joking but now I'm not so sure.

:shepspends:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

cramerthegr8 posted:

So I recently accepted A-100 training (July) and I'm looking through the healthcare plans. I'm currently deciding between Blue Cross Blue Shield and the Foreign Service Benefits Plan. Any advice on which to choose? I'm leaning right now towards FSBP.

They're both excellent. FSBP is a little more popular while overseas, (when I last had the plan it was a bit simpler and easier to manage) while BCBS was more preferred for domestic assignments, but you'd be fine with either one.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

One upside to BCBS overseas is that all services are considered in-network. I say this not in comparison to FSBP, which has great overseas coverage, but just because it is not intuitive and mentioned like just once in the plan literature.

You’ll have to confirm, but I believe the BCBS Standard plan has access to CVS/Caremark online prescription management but the Basic plan does not. Although it technically is possible to get by without this, getting prescriptions filed and filled is infinitely easier with it. Just another thing to keep in mind when comparison shopping.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Tyro posted:

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Holy crap.

I assumed you were joking but now I'm not so sure.

:shepspends:

Oh, you sweet summer child. . . .

cramerthegr8
Feb 22, 2013

One upside to BCBS overseas is that all services are considered in-network. I say this not in comparison to FSBP, which has great overseas coverage, but just because it is not intuitive and mentioned like just once in the plan literature.

You’ll have to confirm, but I believe the BCBS Standard plan has access to CVS/Caremark online prescription management but the Basic plan does not. Although it technically is possible to get by without this, getting prescriptions filed and filled is infinitely easier with it. Just another thing to keep in mind when comparison shopping.

Thanks for this. I was a bit confused about whether BCBS had international coverage (it looks like 13,000 providers). FSBP has direct billing with 200 overseas providers. A friend of mine has FSBP and said their system is a bit clunky and communication is a pain when you have to call from halfway around the world.

The prescription plans seem kind of similar, though BCBS has cheaper generics but higher % for other tiers. People generally don't have issues getting medications to post, do they? That's a big worry for me since my fiancé has a lot of prescriptions.

I'm going to have to look into this more. The price difference between the two is pretty crazy ( $387 for FSBP and $608 for BCBS).

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
It’s worth it to buy a $15 annual subscription to checkbook.org’a FEHB database to compare health plans. I get access for free through my domestic agency. State might also provide free access. Gives a really good breakdown of costs for each plan.

Taking the FSOT this week. I did really well on the multiple choice but bombed the essay a few years ago. Gonna practice essays over these next few days.Hoping to make it into the FS within the next few years!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Oh, you sweet summer child. . . .

Well this paycheck is where I lost my SMA and post diff, and ouch. Big cut. And buying a house has been super fun let me tell you.

But honestly the part that hurts most is the delayed HHE/POV due to COVID shenanigans.

My packout was just shy of 2 months ago and I left post a month ago. My stuff is still at post. They don't have a ship scheduled for it, they are hoping to have it depart in late June. Which means we will be without furniture and the car until probably September, and my transfer allowance will be well expired by then. I already bought one car but we really will need two once I start work in a couple weeks.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

cramerthegr8 posted:

Thanks for this. I was a bit confused about whether BCBS had international coverage (it looks like 13,000 providers). FSBP has direct billing with 200 overseas providers. A friend of mine has FSBP and said their system is a bit clunky and communication is a pain when you have to call from halfway around the world.

The prescription plans seem kind of similar, though BCBS has cheaper generics but higher % for other tiers. People generally don't have issues getting medications to post, do they? That's a big worry for me since my fiancé has a lot of prescriptions.

I'm going to have to look into this more. The price difference between the two is pretty crazy ( $387 for FSBP and $608 for BCBS).

It was my impression that FSBP was more expensive than BCBS, so I’m a bit surprised by that difference. But it’s been literally decades since I did a deep dive on this stuff.

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012
I went with FSBP, works pretty well. Plus, I think we’re up to 42 free massages per year!

cramerthegr8
Feb 22, 2013

Blooregard posted:

I went with FSBP, works pretty well. Plus, I think we’re up to 42 free massages per year!

They're free (also, it's up to 50 now)? I read up to $60 a session, but I guess free is less than. I was confused by this. Are these normal massages, or like physical therapy massages? I saw it also included acupuncture, which is something I never thought I'd consider.

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012

cramerthegr8 posted:

They're free (also, it's up to 50 now)? I read up to $60 a session, but I guess free is less than. I was confused by this. Are these normal massages, or like physical therapy massages? I saw it also included acupuncture, which is something I never thought I'd consider.

Yep, you get reimbursed by insurance when you give them a receipt. I don’t remember the exact amount you can claim but it’s a lot. Covers anything even remotely massage related in my experience. I want to try acupuncture too, at least once.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
Hi all, new to the thread. I recently made a couple of posts on the English professor thread griping about my experience in a literature PhD program that I (thankfully) just completed. I feel like applying for the Foreign Service might be a good next step for me. I have considered the career for a while, but I have trouble choosing a track and committing to it. Politics and Public Diplomacy seem, on paper at least, to be the tracks of most interest to me. Politics is maybe of slightly more interest, but I suspect that my resume is more appealing in Public Diplomacy (although I think writing and editing experience are good for both?). What are the factors I should consider choosing between these tracks? I know that Politics is the most competitive track, so I am tempted to go for Public Diplomacy instead, but I know that does not make sense if Politics truly is of greater interest to me.

And on another note, this is not a dealbreaker, but is it true that this is a career that pretty much makes it impossible to own a dog?

TheLemonOfIchabod fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

Hi all, new to the thread. I recently made a couple of posts on the English professor thread griping about my experience in a literature PhD program that I (thankfully) just completed. I feel like applying for the Foreign Service might be a good next step for me. I have considered the career for a while, but I have trouble choosing a track and committing to it. Politics and Public Diplomacy seem, on paper at least, to be the tracks of most interest to me. Politics is maybe of slightly more interest, but I suspect that my resume is more appealing in Public Diplomacy (although I think writing and editing experience are good for both?). What are the factors I should consider choosing between these tracks? I know that Politics is the most competitive track, so I am tempted to go for Public Diplomacy instead, but I know that does not make sense if Politics truly is of greater interest to me.

And on another note, this is not a dealbreaker, but is it true that this is a career that pretty much makes it impossible to own a dog?

I wouldn't look at what you think your resume prepares you best for but for what interests you the most. You manage people, money, and programs a lot sooner in PD work, and there's a lot of outward-facing events to attend. In POL, academic writing actually isn't usually a good training ground for the written work; it's more about meeting people, asking the right questions, and synthesizing disparate sources into a coherent, short, relevant narrative. Have you spoken to the DIR who covers the region where you live? S/he can probably give you more detailed info. For me, as a closeted introvert, while POL work at the entry/lower mid levels is all about outward facing engagement with people, I still find it much less emotionally taxing than PD work can be. As I'm moving up the ranks, I've found that I enjoy the management side of POL work - managing people and processes, policy recommendations rather than straight information gathering - to be more enjoyable than what I did for my first decade as a poloff.