Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

The Bloop posted:

Olives are good as gently caress

To each his own, it takes all kinds, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hey does this thread appreciate really weird "American Style" places in Europe because I might snap a pic when Covid is over and I get my monster veggie burgers there

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hey does this thread appreciate really weird "American Style" places in Europe because I might snap a pic when Covid is over and I get my monster veggie burgers there

post 'em.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Lord Stimperor posted:

We just had some pretty wild shots from something like that in Pakistan and they seemed quite well received. They are always funny to see and technically they are definitely Americana even if they aren't American

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

20 Blunts posted:

Western Wisconsin, the "Driftless Region"

gently caress yeah, driftless owns. loving around on back roads is great. There's so many little nooks and crannies filled with interesting things.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

zedprime posted:

Fat muff is bad muff. You should be able to eat it like a slice of pizza for best results. That one above is like a ham suit case.

:wrong:

We have an Italian deli here that sells a Muffa-Lotta. It's big.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I can fit 2 hurricanes in one hand but I'm getting old so I wouldn't push it longer than 20 minutes. So my street food gonna need to be in the same form factor as the frozen pizzas they have heated up in heat lamp bins at the bars on Bourbon or a chicken on a stick from the van.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Ugh loving yuck

Time stamped for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMEFcYij2uY&t=60s

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

I’m a picky eater, I know I’m a piece of poo poo, I don’t need to be reminded.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Muffaletta just seems like a giant sodium bomb.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bonzo posted:

Muffaletta just seems like a giant sodium bomb.

:getin:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I feel like Postum is kinda Americana, like a thing an old guy behind the counter of a store that sells wooden arts and crafts in a tourist trap would drink.

It's also favored by Mormons, a very American religion. Though I'm not sure that Mormons are Americana.jpg. Hard to say.

Not liking olives and having to say something about it strikes me as very American.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

im kind of fascinated by American restaurants in other countries that lean in to Americana hard

lollin at the unlikely situation of a texan eating green vegetables

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010
Mutton Doubleton Stuffed Cheesepatty Fun!
Fish Patties Feat. Prawns!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Another Pakistani one from presumably the same people - I guess Howdy! is only one of many business ventures :thumbsup:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
texan burgers without bacon, Eeh Haw

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

pizza topped with "spicy fajita chunks" and "sherif special cheese"

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Bouillon Rube posted:

lollin at the unlikely situation of a texan eating green vegetables

Not sure if anyone native eats them, but all Texan BBQ joints do have a side of green beans available for the general public to order.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

if a bbq place doesn't serve good collard greens, then its a lovely bbq place

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SPACE HOMOS posted:

if a bbq place doesn't serve good collard greens, then its a lovely bbq place

I suspect that it you didn't grow up eating collard greens then there are no good collard greens

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/mardirooster/status/1142937024363737089?s=20

tomb

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

good stuff all down that thread

https://twitter.com/mardirooster/status/1142952675258064896?s=19

what a weird loving town

also lol at all the people who are angry about it being mocked

https://twitter.com/lollyc276/status/1144071844682768384?s=19

"it's the same as branson" isn't the defense you think it is laura

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

The Bloop posted:

I suspect that it you didn't grow up eating collard greens then there are no good collard greens

I disagree, I think you get the bitterness out of collards to make them palatable to more people. I like a good bit of bitterness in mine, though. Collards are one of those things that people just assume they don't like or had them once and they sucked so they're tainted for life. Like brussel sprouts.

Full disclosure, I grew up eating collards.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Pigeon Forge is absolutely miserable. it was nothing nowhere, then Dolly Parton (who is blameless and wonderful) decided to make her hometown a tourist destination. it's just a 6-lane strip of tourist stuff.

oddly, Gatlinburg, an equally touristy place nearby, doesn't seem quite as soulless, maybe because more people live and have lived for a longer time amongst the mini golf and fudge shops and old-time photo booths.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The Worlds Biggest Knife Store is in The Pigeon Forge area and it is a goddamned Bud K catalog brought to life.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gotta make pigeons somewhere :shrug:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Aardvark! posted:

Another Pakistani one from presumably the same people - I guess Howdy! is only one of many business ventures :thumbsup:

One Mushroom Punch please

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The Bloop posted:

Olives are good as gently caress

They're delicious as hell but I find three olives is altogether too much.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Empty Sandwich posted:

Pigeon Forge is absolutely miserable. it was nothing nowhere, then Dolly Parton (who is blameless and wonderful) decided to make her hometown a tourist destination. it's just a 6-lane strip of tourist stuff.

oddly, Gatlinburg, an equally touristy place nearby, doesn't seem quite as soulless, maybe because more people live and have lived for a longer time amongst the mini golf and fudge shops and old-time photo booths.

Wife and I got married down there about 20 years ago. When booking hotels, we were surprised by the number of rooms that had heart shaped Jacuzzi tubs. I'm talking mirrors on the ceiling, velvet wallpaper, it was like Hugh Hefner's closet.

Nashville isn't too far but if you are on vacation with kids, Gatlinburg is the better option since there are no Bike Bars full of Bachelorettes drunk and screaming.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

They're delicious as hell but I find three olives is altogether too much.

:mmmhmm:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Lord Stimperor posted:

I wish I had a picture of the "US Fried Chicken" that was sold outside of the Jelmoli department store in Zurich in 1970. I was so excited to try it!

They took a decent leg & thigh...and wrapped it in some kind of dough...then deep-fried it.

The dough was like armor plate. But they did have Heinz ketchup in the tiny packs, though!

It was a similar crapalation when I was in college in Johnstown, PA & my (local) friends took me out to Brownie's Pub to get an honest-to-goodness Philly cheese steak.

It was a small New York strip on a very sad, soft roll. Like, a slab o meat.

You cannot get a a really good hoagie or cheesesteak more than fifty miles from Philadelphia in any direction. They can't get the bread.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

You cannot get a a really good hoagie or cheesesteak more than fifty miles from Philadelphia in any direction. They can't get the bread.

Truth. Part of the problem as well is the deli owners never brought their kids up in their world so when they all died or retired no one gave a poo poo because you can just go to sheetz for a hoagie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
See: all the places throughout this great land of ours that offer a "Philly cheese steak" that has green peppers in it for some reason. I've tried my damndest to figure out how that got fixated in the general American culture, and have come up empty. It's like how the Philly accent is rendered in culture as a New York accent, makes no sense.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Bonzo posted:

Wife and I got married down there about 20 years ago. When booking hotels, we were surprised by the number of rooms that had heart shaped Jacuzzi tubs. I'm talking mirrors on the ceiling, velvet wallpaper, it was like Hugh Hefner's closet.

Nashville isn't too far but if you are on vacation with kids, Gatlinburg is the better option since there are no Bike Bars full of Bachelorettes drunk and screaming.

Biker Bar Bachelorette IV: Clap for the Bride.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

I'm the multiple different spellings of Sheriff on one page

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’m big fan of a quick sauté in bacon fat. Collards are great.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Since international Americana is accepted:
Spotted this in a random mall across from Shinjuku Station.
The “American Dream.” 5 layers, 900 grams and like any American burger, a side of loose corn.

“Challenger wanted”

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Collards own. Hard.

That said, I'll take a mushroom punch and big eeh haw shake.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

CaptainCrunch posted:

Since international Americana is accepted:
Spotted this in a random mall across from Shinjuku Station.
The “American Dream.” 5 layers, 900 grams and like any American burger, a side of loose corn.

“Challenger wanted”

Me, an American: "Black buns (e: oh those are the patties, wtf, alright, well, whatever) that are apparently cookies of some sort, raw bacon, cucumber salad, corn for no reason, and fries - wet. My god it's like I've been transported to the 4th of July at Wrigley Field. God Bless America."

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
and get this: it's all made of plastic. yuck!