Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My complaints about The Show aside, it's been a fun experience and wild to me that it's day one game pass. Also when I saw they had the audio for this particular name I knew what I had to do:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Kins posted:

I'm pretty hyped for this, I loved the first game but never got around to buying the second.

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/1386667184303312902

Umm gently caress yes, I have always wanted to play this.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

teagone posted:

Played another hour-ish of FF7 today, the charm is resilient and hasn't let up so far. Fun game! Still trying to figure out the materia system with what little materia I have. As an aside, having watched an FF7 Remake stream playthrough from start to finish last year, it's kind of crazy to me how fast I feel like the original game moves along the story in comparison lol. The bit where Tifa is on her way to Don Corneo/Wall Market in the Remake did not happen as fast as it does in the original it feels like lol. I was like, "drat, I'm already at this point in Remake's story?" I also realize Remake is only a chunk of the original story, but still, being able to have a frame of reference to compare to is fun and interesting.

I really like the remake, but it added a ton of stuff for better or worse (especially its dogshit ending). Midgar makes up maybe 10% of FF7, so if you’re digging the story and gameplay so far, you’ll likely love it all the way through.

I played 8 before 7 and it had realisticish character models, and it was a little hard to swallow the FF7 sprites at first. It’s a good enough game that that wore off, though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Blue Raider posted:

I played 8 before 7 and it had realisticish character models, and it was a little hard to swallow the FF7 sprites at first. It’s a good enough game that that wore off, though.

The blocky rear end character models is part of the charm for me; makes the animations look hilarious and cute. Turn-based combat is also a nice refresher/chill break after having spent nearly a decade playing Guild Wars 2 and cinematic single player actioners like the Tomb Raider reboot series, and more recently Nier Automata and Jedi Fallen Order.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
I just moved into a new house. Went to turn the ol Xbox One on, and nothing. If I only plug the power supply into the wall I get an orange light on the power supply. The internet tells me that’s not great! When I try to connect it to the Xbox itself, the power supply light goes out. Is my power supply bad, or is my Xbox finally borked? It’s 7 years old, so it’s not the end of the world.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ff7 is very good. play dragon quest 11 next imo.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Series S is now $100 off at big W (like Walmart) eBay store in Australia. No stock shortages for that one here.

As for the show 21, I've played dozens of games previous years but still said "what the gently caress" and turned it off during the controls tutorial.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Game-Blouses posted:

I just moved into a new house. Went to turn the ol Xbox One on, and nothing. If I only plug the power supply into the wall I get an orange light on the power supply. The internet tells me that’s not great! When I try to connect it to the Xbox itself, the power supply light goes out. Is my power supply bad, or is my Xbox finally borked? It’s 7 years old, so it’s not the end of the world.

Are you able to isolate the problem at all? Try the power supply and Xbox in a different outlet, circuit or even at someone else's house? If you know someone with a Bone, can you use your supply with their console (or their supply with your console)?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Game-Blouses posted:

this happened to my friend with a one S.

moved house and the S just wouldnt power on. the (internal) PSU was to blame.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

John F Bennett posted:

Games For Gold next month has a pretty good lineup, I think.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/04/26/new-games-with-gold-for-may-2021/

Armello - Available May 1 to 31
Dungeons 3 - Available May 16 to June 15
Lego Batman - Available May 1 to 15
Tropico 4 - Available May 16 to 31

Tropico 4 is the best Tropico, really fun game.

I really enjoyed Dungeons 3. It's like a much improved version of the old Dungeon Keeper games. Has that Stanley Parable narrator & style of humour too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Umm gently caress yes, I have always wanted to play this.

Hell ya this is exactly the kind of game I want to play on gamepass but not buy

Laserface posted:

The thing to remember with OLED is that 30fps looks like juddery mess because the pixels react instantly as opposed to LCDs which dont.

the difference between 30/60 is way more obvious on an OLED and, outside of game mode, they need some amount of motion smoothing/interpolation to look normal.

Ah! This explains so much. I've been playing Monster Hunter Rise and switching between my TV/Switch and while it looks better on the TV I notice the fps a lot more

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 27, 2021

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Lol even on gamepass it's impossible to find a game on battlefront 2 on Xbox in Australia. :( Well 120fps looks great in arcade mode at least.

Had the same issue when I reinstalled a few weeks back for the hell of it, unfortunately even during prime time there’s simply not enough aussies playing it anymore to get a match going.

Give co-op a go, iirc the server only needs like 4 or so people to start.

E: i think I say this in every online game thread but crossplay really needs to be the new industry standard

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 27, 2021

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Blue Raider posted:

I really like the remake, but it added a ton of stuff for better or worse (especially its dogshit ending). Midgar makes up maybe 10% of FF7, so if you’re digging the story and gameplay so far, you’ll likely love it all the way through.

People keep saying stuff like this, but in original FF7 Midgar takes close to 8 hours of gameplay to finish and holds 30% of the game's scripted dialogue.

Source: Tim Rogers' insane youtube review of FF7R

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

People keep saying stuff like this, but in original FF7 Midgar takes close to 8 hours of gameplay to finish and holds 30% of the game's scripted dialogue.

Source: Tim Rogers' insane youtube review of FF7R

8 hours? My first blind playthrough was like 5.5 hours back in the day.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Forget burnout paradise, if you want a good open world racer, one of the goats got relisted today.

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/MCLA-Complete/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802545407f8?noSplash=1

****Some think this is likely a mistake so could be pulled soon****

Now I just need ZoE HD and MGSHD to go on sale again and I'm good on BC until the next batch.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 27, 2021

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

univbee posted:

I think people misconstrued midgar being a small fraction of the game because there is a gated openworld that you play the rest of the game through.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You can breed chocobos for 100 hours and make midgar seem minescule but if you just do the story its a big piece of the story

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

bushisms.txt posted:

Forget burnout paradise, if you want a good open world racer, one of the goats got relisted today.

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/MCLA-Complete/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802545407f8?noSplash=1

****Some think this is likely a mistake so could be pulled soon****

Now I just need ZoE HD and MGSHD to go on sale again and I'm good on BC until the next batch.

Back Compat version is piss, need a disc in a 360 to get the real soundtrack

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheScott2K posted:

Speaking of a disc in the Xbox 360, I ordered rcok band 1 and 2 for less than ten bucks total and got rock band today. Using the music store to redownload my purchased tracks is better than digging through all of my purchased content in my account section on the 360, but I didn't realize it would haunt me with the many excellent songs that I never purchased before moving onto rock band 3 and 4.

What a coup that literally every piece of content minus a few on disc songs and two games with stingy licensing agreements all got to come forward with you, glad Harmonix was able to make it happen.

E: oof these downloads are fuckin slow, minutes to download song packs totalling roughly 180 MB.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 28, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

find the playlist, create it in spotify, play in spotify on the console while playing the game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Doctor Nutt posted:

Speaking of a disc in the Xbox 360, I ordered rcok band 1 and 2 for less than ten bucks total and got rock band today. Using the music store to redownload my purchased tracks is better than digging through all of my purchased content in my account section on the 360, but I didn't realize it would haunt me with the many excellent songs that I never purchased before moving onto rock band 3 and 4.

What a coup that literally every piece of content minus a few on disc songs and two games with stingy licensing agreements all got to come forward with you, glad Harmonix was able to make it happen.

E: oof these downloads are fuckin slow, minutes to download song packs totalling roughly 180 MB.

I never bought much content, but Beatles Rock Band and Rock Band 3 (with the keytar) are together a big part of why I still keep a 360 on my desk.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheScott2K posted:

I never bought much content, but Beatles Rock Band and Rock Band 3 (with the keytar) are together a big part of why I still keep a 360 on my desk.

The worst thing about rock band 4 was getting all of the music from RB3 but no legacy keytar support.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Doctor Nutt posted:

The worst thing about rock band 4 was getting all of the music from RB3 but no legacy keytar support.

what's madening even more is they built a dang legacy adapter and they could have left the keytar songs in for legacy! Oh well, they still sucker me in every month or so with a download.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

incoherent posted:

what's madening even more is they built a dang legacy adapter and they could have left the keytar songs in for legacy! Oh well, they still sucker me in every month or so with a download.

I made the mistake of getting high and browsing the store the other day, ended up buying a bunch of nostalgia bait from my high school years. drat you Harmonix!!! :homebrew:

Also thank gently caress for that adapter because I never managed to get my hands on an rb4 guitar or drums and they are impossible to find for a reasonable price afaict.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 28, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

univbee posted:

I at ~4h40ish and am at the Shinra building currently; just got to floor 66. My impatient rear end never would have figured out the Mayor's password, lmao.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

teagone posted:

I at ~4h40ish and am at the Shinra building currently; just got to floor 66. My impatient rear end never would have figured out the Mayor's password, lmao.

Yeah, you'll be out of midgar in the next hour.

Man original FFVII ruled

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Barudak posted:

Yeah, you'll be out of midgar in the next hour.

Man original FFVII ruled

Figured that. Everything is super familiar because of my having watched Remake streams, hah. I was about to head into the vents but went back down a couple floors to save and take a break after playing for a little over 2 hours. Game really is good for how simple it is so far. At this point, I feel like I haven't even tapped into the materia system at all lmao.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
So if I understand correctly the only way to actually play One and Series games is to have them installed on the SSD or the official external SSD. But I can hook up a non-propriety external drive to hold excess data and I can transfer the games over?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I think One games you can play off a whatever external

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One games, 360 games, and OG Box can run off any ol external assuming you're not somehow hooking it up to some 1980s IBM mainframe.

Series games need to be on the internal drive to run

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

teagone posted:

Figured that. Everything is super familiar because of my having watched Remake streams, hah. I was about to head into the vents but went back down a couple floors to save and take a break after playing for a little over 2 hours. Game really is good for how simple it is so far. At this point, I feel like I haven't even tapped into the materia system at all lmao.

You’re in for a treat, because that familiarity is about to go out the window. FF7 is a 70 hour game (this was an old rpg metric), and there’s so much stuff that the remake never touched on. I’m actually pumped to see you make it to other cool stuff lol.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

You can run xbox + 360 + xbone games from an external volume. You can store series games externally too but you need to transfer them back to the SSD in order to actually launch them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FF7 is like 30-40 hours to beat. Unless you love rubbing up on NPCs or grinding side stuff theres no way you're gonna hit anywhere close to 70 hours.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
FF7 is very good stuff

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Barudak posted:

FF7 is like 30-40 hours to beat. Unless you love rubbing up on NPCs or grinding side stuff theres no way you're gonna hit anywhere close to 70 hours.

if you do like every single optional thing in the game, maybe it could take 50 hours. i can't imagine what one would have to do to hit 70 tho.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

if you do like every single optional thing in the game, maybe it could take 50 hours. i can't imagine what one would have to do to hit 70 tho.

As a teenager I got all my duded to 99 and had a 99 hour plus save, plus KOTR, killing weapons, etc.

But I was probably poo poo at games then

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Has anyone else found that sidetone on the new headset is really lacking?
I plugged it in to the PC so set the level of sidetone to "High" but it's still barely noticeable.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

People whinge about sidetone being important but my Astro A40s dont have it unless i am literally screaming in to the mic and i can still hear myself fine because they are open/semi open back headphones i guess?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What's sidetone precious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

American McGay posted:

What's sidetone precious?

your own voice, fed back into the headset so you can hear yourself talking and not yell into the mic.

I dunno. my A40s sound the same plugged in or not and i hear myself fine. if I make the Mic clip by screaming, i can hear some feedback of my own voice, but certainly dont feel like im talking under water with them on.

it was a huge complaint of the A50s when they first released a few years back, and seems to be a complain with more closed back headsets than anything else.