Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

The Voice of Labor posted:

though I am curious how you figure out the meaning of words you don't know since looking them up is lame

Just in the context of this thread. Of course I look stuff up to actually understand things.
But here it is better to make blind guesses, or actually flaunt some semi-obscure knowledge.
If it was about looking up dictionaries Doc Fission could do it themselves.

Speaking of:

Devon is a geologic period. It's known for trilobites and ammonites. So those would be devonian fossils.
Alternatively Devon is a British region which gave the period its name. So you might be able to buy devonian turnips, or other things coming from that region.
Artism's comment makes me think the former is more likely.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Just in the context of this thread. Of course I look stuff up to actually understand things.
But here it is better to make blind guesses, or actually flaunt some semi-obscure knowledge.
If it was about looking up dictionaries Doc Fission could do it themselves.

This post is correct.

Looking up words and/or circling them to go back is kind of a momentum-breaker that doesn't work so good for my peanut brain. OTOH it takes less than a minute for me to hop on the SA app and post in here and I think it's interesting to see what other people already have in their smart guy arsenal. Plus I think I will absorb the learning better through other people's explanations.

To that end, thanks to everyone who is taking a shot at filling in the knowledge gaps here. Together we will win the Cormac McCarthy spelling bee, take home the cash prize and save the community center!

Doc Fission fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 25, 2021

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Doc Fission posted:

crenellated

Isn’t this some sort of decoration? I think it looks like the top bits of a castle.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

artism posted:

diphtheria (at one time and possibly still a common affliction among alcoholics)
Did this change meaning at some point? The modern one is a bacterial disease common before vaccination.

Sri.Theo posted:

Isn’t this some sort of decoration? I think it looks like the top bits of a castle.
It's the wiggly bits at the top of a castle wall that you hide behind then lean out for shooting. Typically much too short in fantasy fictional castles. Real functional ones are big enough to hide without ducking

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Doc Fission posted:

I do a lot of effort OPs and then run out of steam quickly. This is a low-effort thread for me to showcase how many words I don't know, in particular words that have to do with canyons or guns or scalping a guy. Each word will get its own post so you too can luxuriate in my ignorance. I will also not look these words up so feel free to mansplain them to me or provide a helpful visual aid.

OK, I'm opening the book now. See you soon :clint:

As I read through these I am remembering the parts of the book you are at. The variety of words and shades of expressions they give is really really used well in Blood Meridian. Even better when you can understand all the words!

Looking at some of these, I find myself pronouncing them one way only to remember how it was used in the book and change my sounds.

Khizan posted:

It's Gaelic, yes. Pronounced something like "shi LAY lee". As a note, a proper one is smoothed and shaped and polished and such, but they still definitely look like they came off of a tree. Here's a wikipedia picture of some in construction.

TBH I learned this word because it was the name of a Druid spell to summon a magical club in the computer game Baldur's Gate, and I pronounced it as something like "Shilly-AUGH" for an embarrassingly long time.

To add to this, I'd say the shillelagh has a history of usage as "a walking stick you beat people with," usually when someone in a book is beaten senseless by a man with a shillelagh. If you are using the word shillelagh, you are really wanting to emphasize the type weapon being used and probably tying into the rather large collection (if I remember) of other encounters in books where someone experiences the other usages of an irish walking stick.

I can't remember how this is used in the book but a fusilier is the name for a soldier who carries the fusil, a special lighter musket made for the select troops forming the artillery guards.

If I recall, quirt is a whip but explicitly a short whip. A few feet at the most.

Doc Fission posted:

caparisoned

Additional decorations in addition to whatever other dress. Ostentatious decorations. Depending on how the word is used, there can be great irony there.

An architectural technique for reinforcing. It can be very decorative. Can you think of an arch that wasn't smooth on the inside?

bedpan fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 26, 2021

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

chines

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

whinstones

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

scurf

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

solpugas

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

vinegarroons

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

centroids

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

reata

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

videttes

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

chorines

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

esker

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

baldric

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

lemniscate

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

revetment

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

dunnage

Doc Fission fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 27, 2021

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

priapic

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's flakes/flaking on your skin, most often used to describe dandruff. Used in another context it can mean describing almost anything with a similarly flaky surface.

It's a belt that hangs from one shoulder down to the opposite hip, used for carrying a sword or a gun or something similar.

Doc Fission posted:

vinegarroons
It's a kind of scorpion-esque arachnid that sprays loving vinegar(well, acetic acid, which is the acid in vinegar) at things as a self-defense mechanism. I loved weird bugs as a kid and this one has always stuck out in my memory because it sounds like the worst loving macaroon flavor in the world, but it's actually a bug whose main defense tactic is a spraying loving vinegar everywhere.

It's a math term for what's roughly the center of gravity of a shape. A good way to think of it is that if you cut a two-dimensional shape out of a piece of cardboard, the centroid is the point where you could balance that cutout on a fingertip.

It's a curve shaped like a figure-eight. The sideways '8' infinity symbol is a good example.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

procrustean

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

archimandrite

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

military fortification thing?

I want to say something about coins

e: It is not something about coins. It is a word that I knew at one point though

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Dunnage is basically packing peanuts for ship cargo. Cheap materials or whatnot that's used to pack more valuable items securely so they don't shift in the hold. Alternatively, it can be used to refer to miscellaneous luggage and low value cargo used to fill up a ship's capacity to avoid running partially empty.

Doc Fission posted:

archimandrite
It's a religious figure to do with monasteries. I want to say it's something like... abbots are in charge of a single monastery and they're under an archimandrite who oversees multiple monasteries? Unsure of the specifics.

Penis-like or penis-shaped or generally dong-related.

They're those sloping bits you see near retaining walls at the beach and such. They deflect and absorb the impact of water to protect the actual retaining wall.

If you're talking about it in a military fortification context, I think it's basically dirt or sandbags or whathave you that's piled up against a wall to help reinforce it from cannon fire and such, but I'm not sure.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I finished the book faster than expected, because it was very good. Bold of McCarthy to take a shot at the idea that a bunch of guys hanging out under harrowing circumstances will inevitably become friends. Powerful thesis on how dudes don't rock and anyone who thinks otherwise is a baby rear end.

That's all for words I don't know from Blood Meridian. If you know any of the words I've listed in this thread then you are obliged to assist. Otherwise feel free to recommend me books with more words I am not likely to know. Real words, not Harry Potter words. Words that you can sink your brain teeth into!

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Doc Fission posted:

That's all for words I don't know from Blood Meridian. If you know any of the words I've listed in this thread then you are obliged to assist. Otherwise feel free to recommend me books with more words I am not likely to know. Real words, not Harry Potter words. Words that you can sink your brain teeth into!

Sounds like you're ready for Gene Wolfe.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

That guy from blackadder.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

A very vesiculated (lots of air bubbles) volcanic rock. Often used crushed as inorganic mulch for garden beds. Depending on how many air bubbles it has, it can float on water.

Khizan posted:

It's a belt that hangs from one shoulder down to the opposite hip, used for carrying a sword or a gun or something similar.

Huh, I thought a baldric was actually a type of knife.

Memento fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 28, 2021

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Doc Fission posted:

procrustean

Procrustes was a mythological innkeeper who would violently stretch out his guests (or chop legs off the taller ones) to exactly fit a certain bed. Well, at least until Theseus disposed of him. Procrustean can be used to describe instances in which something is rigidly adapted to a framework or set of rules while mutilating the essence. One could say that an office worker who already completed all the tasks for the day, but must remain seated at their desk until eight hours expire was on a metaphorical procrustean bed.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Number of Words From Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian That Doc Fission Did Not Know: 38
Number of Words From Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian That Doc Fission Did Know: 10203

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Foxfire_ posted:

Number of Words From Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian That Doc Fission Did Not Know: 38
Number of Words From Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian That Doc Fission Did Know: 10203

Is that cross referenced for duplicates?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

Aw. This made me feel pretty good :)

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Is that cross referenced for duplicates?
ebook to text -> split by whitespace -> remove punctuation -> lowercase -> count unique words

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

use your blood meridian words to describe the following photographs

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Foxfire_ posted:

ebook to text -> split by whitespace -> remove punctuation -> lowercase -> count unique words

that rules. you rule. op rules. mccarthy rules

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

use your blood meridian words to describe the following photographs

do I have to use all 38

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I would be satisfied with one or two per photo

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Thats a geographic feature left by a passing glacier. What sort of feature, I don't remember. I think a ridge of material pushed up by a glacier is a moraine, so not that. Maybe the depression where the stuff that got carved out used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Chines, at least in one context, refers to the edges of a boat near where the hull meets the water.